I know what you’re thinking.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Boring title.

A bowl of white cheese.

Somewhat plain.

Kind of a snoozefest.

How crazy can this really be?

I was skeptical too. Trust me.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I didn’t make this recipe up. My cousin Lacy did. See… a restaurants in DC makes this stuff and calls it crazy feta. She was a huge fan. Then they started selling it at Whole Foods for an arm and a leg. And since she really likes her limbs, she checked out the ingredients and decided to try and make it herself. Best decision ever.

She first told me about it on one of our walks about a week before we headed to the beach. It sounded good. It didn’t knock my socks off, but I kept it in mind. I don’t love jalapenos, lemon or feta, let alone love it together. Then she talked about it more at the beach. And each time I got a little more intrigued.

By Sunday, it was the only thing on my mind. Monday morning I rushed to the grocery store to buy bricked feta, jalapenos and lemons. Because that is exactly where my priorities lie after a week away. Don’t even act like yours lie somewhere else.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I don’t even know where to start.

This is quite possible one of the best things I have ever tasted. The flavors – tangy feta, spicy jalapenos, bright lemon, caramely garlic – combine to create this delicious explosion of something or other in your mouth. It’s perfect. It has a little bite. It’s madly addicting. It’s fabulous on pita chips. Even better on warm bread. Can you even picture it? Fluffy, warm pita spread with crazy feta.

If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will. You gotta promise me you’ll try this. Pleeeeeeeeease.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos

makes about 2 cups [a little goes a long way!]

2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each

3 whole jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon

1 bulb garlic

the juice of half a lemon

the zest of half a lemon

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop the top off the garlic bulb and drizzle it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap it in foil and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until garlic is golden in color. At the same time, brush the jalapenos with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Either grill or roast them – I stuck them in the oven with garlic and just watched until they were charred. Remove both from oven and let cool. Once jalapenos are cooled, remove skins, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces. Don’t touch your eyes!

In a large bowl, crumble the feta bricks. [Crumbling the bricks yourself works best, but if you can only find crumbled feta that is fine.] Add chopped jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. You want the feta to be a bit “wet” – I can best describe it as a cross between a spread and a dip. There is no right or wrong – make it however you’d like. Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips, warm pita or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week – I find that I like it best at room temperature, so allow it to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving. We also think it would be great with some kalamata olives.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

This is definitely my new party appetizer. Now you just need to invite me.

283 Responses to “Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos.”

Christine (Chew Nibble Nosh) — October 30, 2011 @ 9:56 am

This sounds like exactly what I need to bring to a Halloween party tomorrow. Yum-O. It will probably end up on my blog as well! THANKS for sharing!!! :)

Erin — November 8, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I used imported feta from Trader Joe’s: to die for.

Better than Whole Foods’ version!

stephanie @cookinfanatic — November 12, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Makin’ this bad boy for a party tonight, so excited about it!!!!!!!

Encore — December 1, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Okay, so I finally made this…as an appetizer for Turkey Day! I had to stop myself from eating it all with a spoon before people arrived. This is seriously like crack…well, if I knew what crack felt like. Maybe it’s like that feeling you got as a kid eating Pixie Stix. Remember those? Yeah, that’s close enough. Anyway, I posted about it and linked back to you like I normally do, because you know that’s how I roll! Thanks so much for this one! Cheers!

mark — December 6, 2011 @ 11:24 am

If you have a Sam’s nearby, they have the best prices on feta that I have found. They sell bricks of it, and also tubs of crumbles.

Mary — December 15, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Made this today for my cookie exchange tonight…it’s spicy and delish. Thanks for the recipe!

Heather — January 11, 2012 @ 10:55 am

We made this once and LOVED it, then I made it again with lower quality feta and it was so salty, my tips: Choose a great feta (the non-crumbled stuff is usually less salty because they haven’t had to pack it with more slat), the extra buck is worth it in the end, and use ALL of the jalapenos it needs it! Thanks for the great recipe this is really so good.

Katie — January 14, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

Oh my. WHY have I waited so long to make this?? I saw it the day you posted and knew I would love it. But I just made it today and it’s ah-mazing. Now I am sad because I have missed out on eating it all this time lol. I will make it constantly to make up for it. Oh, and I made the greek layer dip with most of it but kinda regret it because I am afraid it will overpower that amazing feta!

Hilary — January 23, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I love this recipe!! Another awesome greek inspired spread for sandwiches or french fries! Is Kalamata Olives and mayonnaise(Homemade mayo tastes best!) make sure your olives are blotted dry with a paper towel and then put them in the food processor, 2 parts olives, 1 part mayo, with S&P to taste. It is inspired by the Nordstrom cafe. Amazing on everything, thought you might like it with your ‘all things Greek’ attitude! My favorite thing to pair it with is homemade Fries tossed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme!

Elizabeth @ the kitchen counsel — January 27, 2012 @ 11:31 am

i’m making this tonight for a friend’s birthday party! i’ve been thinking about it since you posted it, but didn’t have an occasion. i’m so glad that i finally do!

Becca @ Thefluffybread — January 29, 2012 @ 1:38 am

Ah! I’m from DC and I LOVE Cava. I knew was this way the second I saw the title!! I’m so excited to make this!!

CarolLe — February 5, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

I live in DC as well. LOVE Cava! I eat it by the containers. But it so pricey. So happy to make it today!

Jennie (in Wonderland) — February 11, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Why did you change the name? :) Just curious.

Jennie (in Wonderland) — February 11, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

PS: This truly is the most addictive thing I have ever made. I like to eat it straight-up, tbh.

Lou — February 16, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

Is this as good if it is made a few days ahead??

Holly — April 1, 2012 @ 8:29 am

came on here looking for this recipe because I’m tired of paying the Whole Foods/Arganica price for my ‘crack’ ;-)

having 40 people over for Easter – Greek is the theme – bring it on Crazy Feta!

Lana — April 13, 2012 @ 9:26 am

I gave my 4 year old a scoop of this on a melba toast, she looked at me in disgust, “Yuck mommy, I don’t like it” She swallowed it down, played for two minutes then came back and said “Actually this is delicious, can I have more” and she proceeded to eat spoonfuls on crackers.
    You officially are my favourite person for winning over a 4 year old with something not sweet, icky, sticky and tooth decaying! (although I am going to make everyone one of your desserts and share, (sharing, what is that?!?!)

Oh and the smell of the jalapenos roasting in the oven, heaven!!
    Thanks Jessica!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Haha, I love this!

Anne — April 26, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Just saw this pinned on Pinterest… and I’ve just become addicted to the version sold at Whole Foods. I knew this would be easy to make! Thank you so so so much for sharing the recipe! Can’t wait to try it!

Abbey — May 26, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Going to the store to get these ingredients ! Looks delicious!

idiosyncratic eye — May 27, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I love feta so I’ll have to try this sometimes. But without the garlic. Sadly. I’ve mashed turning avocados into feta with balsamic vinegar (hides the brownness!) and that’s yummy. :)

susan — May 27, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

it is funny because i love all the ingredients (well i like jalapenos) but the thought of them together is, um kind of strange. but i promise i will try it. making a list for hubby when he goes to the shops

Liza — May 28, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

Just made this dip to bring to a family gathering. It is DELICIOUS!! Creamy with a little kick! Can’t wait to share it with the family!
    Thanks so much for this awesome recipe! It will definitely be added to my recipe repertoire!

Vanessa @ L'épice de la Vie — May 31, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

I recently moved to a city where there’s a Whole Foods after 4 years without one. Happy day! When I saw your post, I just had to try this stuff. It definitely is ridiculously expensive and I’ll probably try making it on my own next, but I’m so glad I read about this! I actually live in virginia and I’m in DC all the time. I need to try Cava next :)

Elizabeth — June 13, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

My friend shared this dip with me over the weekend, followed by a link to your blog! The feta-cheese spread was delicious paired with pita chips, cucumbers, and sliced red peppers. I mentioned you on my food blog as well! Check it out!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — July 4, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Making this for Fourth of July today to put on lamb burgers! YUM

AnnissaWright — July 20, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Ok finally made this!!! I did add a dash of whorechestershire to perfect it. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

Caroline — July 21, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

I just made this for a party I am having tonight- it is divine. I can’t wait to share it. As a pre-party snack, I just made a fried egg sandwich on a baguette with the spread on top- you gotta try it- changed my life. Thanks for always having such great recipes!

Hollie — July 29, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

This looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it!

Trixie — September 21, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Looks so great! Thanks for sharing!

Marcia — November 10, 2012 @ 5:46 am

This is my favorite dip at Cava – a Greek Tapas restaurant in the Maryland/DC area. I’ve been looking for a recipe online for awhile, because i refuse to pay $9.99 for 3-4oz container! Thanks for sharing..

Shannon — February 3, 2013 @ 12:12 am

Amazing! Thanks so much!

Mama B @ My Edible Journey — May 9, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Just found this via StumbleUpon and I’ve pinned it to my dips & sauces board. I’ll be trying it soon. Thanks for sharing!

Leyali — May 14, 2013 @ 3:28 am

Cava’s crazy feta is one DC addiction of mine that won’t go away. Made this last night using your recipe and it is one of the best copycats I’ve ever tried. Absolutely spot-on divine- thank you for saving me a ton of $$!

Lee Ann — June 5, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Wow, this looks and sounds absolutely fabulous. Jessica – how many people do you think the recipe serves? I’m trying to figure out whether I need to double it for a BBQ I’m planning to bring it to, with about 40 people. Sounds so good I expect it to get gobbled up.

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac — July 25, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Have you made this dip with your whipped feta??? Considering making this dip for a party this weekend, but I also really want to try the whipped feta and feel like I could maybe just reduce the olive oil if I whip the feta? What do you think?!

• Jessica — July 25th, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

yes! it works, i use about the same ratios!

• Ashlee — July 16th, 2015 @ 10:59 am

I am interested in using the whipped feta in combination with this recipe as well. I don’t think I’m as cooking savvy as the rest of you. What do you mean by “use about the same ratios”? Do you double the whipped feta recipe to equal the amount of feta you use in this recipe? So many questions! Thank you for your time. :)

Jessica — August 22, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

I just made this amazing dip, but whipped it with greek yogurt in your whipped feta recipe… it’s HEAVEN! I eyeballed the olive oil, used already pre-crumbled feta and two monster jalapenos instead of three. I won’t lie to you – I’m eating it right this minute.

Jill — January 24, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Ok I don’t know what is wrong I guess the feta I used but it was so salty it was inedible. I used a good feta not pre crumbled. Spent $15 on it! I ended up sitting an entire tub of Greek yogurt in and it helped but still salt and heat is all I taste. Super disappointed.

Ann — February 21, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

I do it with olives (the ones with garlic inside, but other ones will do too.) – and a lot of garlic – we just love it but I would not have dared serve it to anyone else (due to all that garlic) – but now I’ll give it a go at the next family gathering

Robin — September 15, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

How many servings does this recipe make? It looks delish!