I’ve been playing single lady since Sunday.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Really… I find this quite lovely.

It means I blast the Jersey Boys soundtrack and watch 6 episodes of Felicity in a row. It means I survive on things for dinner that don’t contain giant slabs of meat. Most importantly, it means that I get the entire bed to myself which makes me consider spending the rest of my life as a spinster with 1000 thread count sheets. Ah… comfy.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

It also means I drink things like this that look fancy but aren’t really fancy at all for lunch.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

In case you were wondering, lunch is my new favorite meal.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Wowza. It should be yours too.

I know. I KNOW. It probably appears that I’ve lost my marbles. Mint + watermelon + bubbles + ice cream? It just works I tell you. And mint is like… technically a vegetable right?! I mean, what else would it be? So this is really a fruit and veggie milkshake.

I love when life makes sense.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Coming home to this on a hot day… it can’t be beat. You should feed it to your friends after a sweaty day on the beach. Who cares if they aren’t hungry. More importantly… what does it feel like to not be hungry? Your family too, after a sweaty day on the playground. Maybe they’ll even cook for you. Or do chores or something? If you can’t find anything for them to do send them my way. Cleaning gives me the heebie jeebies and this place could use some mopping.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Holy refreshing Batman. Give it a [literal] whirl and you’ll be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats

serves 2

2 1/2 cups fresh watermelon chunks (large seeds removed, the small white ones are fine)

12-15 fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped

12 ounces club soda or carbonated water of choice

vanilla ice cream

In a blender, combine the watermelon, mint and water. Blend and pulse quickly, just until watermelon has broken down – this should only take about 30-60 seconds or so. The blending will “de-carbonate” the water a bit, but it should still have some fizz. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl, glass or measuring cup in order to remove the seeds. Fill two glasses with vanilla ice cream and pour watermelon soda over top. Garnish with additional fresh mint.

Note: Haven’t tried it yet, but I think that this would also be great with some flavored carbonated waters, such as lime or coconut La Croix.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Slurp.

168 Responses to “Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats.”

Kim in MD — June 30, 2011 @ 7:01 am

This looks so cool and refreshing, Jessica! Your photos are stunning, as usual!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Thanks Kim!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 30, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Whoa. You’re blowing my mind right now. Also, it sounds like we do just about the exact same things when our husbands go out of town (but sub Jersey Boys for Glee cds and Felicity for My So-Called Life).

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — June 30, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Oh yum, that looks great, so refreshing! I love soda floats, makes me feel like a kid again :)

Jill — June 30, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Thanks! This will be dinner tonight. It’ll be so refreshing on a hot and humid night!

Caroline — June 30, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Oh my. My my myyyyyy. Not only do I love watermelon, mint, and all milkshake-float-type-concoctions, but I absolutely love Felicity. Have you seen pics of Scott Speedman recently? Allow me (just ignore the chick next to him): http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20506295,00.html#20982794

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

i.love.him.
      But I also really love Scott Foley and he is going to be on True Blood! Very excited.

• Jenn — June 30th, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Holy Scott Speedman. Dreamy. I always loved him on Felicity. If I were in 8th grade, I be doodling “I heart Scott” in my trapper keeper right now. (Ah trapper keepers, do they still make those?) Ok so maybe I still doodled it in my work notebook. And yes I turn 33 in a month. Oops.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

1. I wanted a trapper keeper soooooo bad. Um, hello Lisa Frank?
          2. I got scared for a minute and thought you were in 8th grade when Felicity was on because I was in high school.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 30, 2011 @ 7:12 am

I’d be happy to come keep you company and eat your food while your husband is gone:-) You are so creative- this looks wonderful!

wishful nals — June 30, 2011 @ 7:12 am

oh my goodness, this is amazing.

in katrinas kitchen — June 30, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Such a fun recipe!!

Brandy at Kitchinbliss — June 30, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Yes. Please. and Thank You. I love any fruit and mint combination, and these look UH-MAY-ZING!
    I’m off the farmer’s market to get some seedless watermelon! Thanks for the recipe!

Blog is the New Black — June 30, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Easy, delicious… and I’ve got an entire watermelon in my fridge. Awesome.

Blond Duck — June 30, 2011 @ 7:21 am

LOL. Tacos are my go-to alone dinners!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 30, 2011 @ 7:24 am

What a fabulous idea! I made drinks with some fruity sparkling wine last year and watermelon… But, it never crossed my mind to add some ice cream. Love it!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 30, 2011 @ 7:25 am

This is missing a key ingredient: watermelon vodka!

Skip all that club soda and replace with a lil somethin-somethin is my thinking :) Watermelon vodka & sweet tea vodka are must-have’s for me :)

The photos are AWESOME!

When you shoot overhead and you are shooting things that are different heights, if you don’t shoot true manual, do you find that sometimes your camera puts the wrong thing into focus or nothing is really great in focus, it’s all kinda of just so-so? Obviously looking at your pics here you dont have these issues b/c they look great! But just wondering if you have a f/stop that seems to work well for these types of shots…

Sorry to geek out on you :)

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I change my fstop and settings with every single pic I take… I honestly never use the same one, and never really pay attention because I dislike photography so much that I’m just rushing to get the pics taken!! I just spin my little wheel, haha.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 30, 2011 @ 7:37 am

This is drool worthy!! yum!

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — June 30, 2011 @ 7:39 am

This looks totally healthy, haha :)

You definitely get really creative when ever Mr. How Sweet is out of town. Tell him to get out more often!

Molly @ RDexposed — June 30, 2011 @ 7:41 am

This could make me the hit of the 4th party!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 30, 2011 @ 7:46 am

GASP! i want this now. and i think i need it for lunch and dinner :)

Erica — June 30, 2011 @ 7:46 am

I really can’t imagine these flavors all together….I feel the need to try it. I haven’t had a good float in so long- especially one so summery!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:08 am

You deserve one!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 30, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Easiest. Recipe. Ever. I love it – I just bought some vanilla (coconut milk) ice cream yesterday. Must get mint and wwatermelon!

emily — June 30, 2011 @ 7:51 am

this sounds delicious! i like the idea of mint in my watermelon. i have also found that ginger and lime work very well with it.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:08 am

I love the ginger lime combo!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 30, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Oooh this looks like the perfect long weekend drink… or anytime drink for that matter! I’m actually eating watermelon right now as I type!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:08 am

I’m eating some now too. But I wish I was drinking this instead.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — June 30, 2011 @ 8:04 am

“More importantly… what does it feel like to not be hungry? ” – *sigh* I wish I knew!

Aimee @ShugarySweets — June 30, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Oh. Yum. I think it would be good with a little cherry rum mixed in, but maybe not at 8am. Maybe.
    Aimee

VeggieGirl — June 30, 2011 @ 8:18 am

OOOH intriguing float recipe!

Maria — June 30, 2011 @ 8:20 am

OMG these amazing for a hot summer day! I can’t wait to try them out soon :)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 30, 2011 @ 8:25 am

“Holy refreshing Batman” I love it! That photo of the shake oozing over the top of the glass is wonderful. Actually, they all are, but that one really pulled me in. Great job!
    I secretly love it when my husband goes away. It’s just more “me” time and time with the kids, but I don’t sleep well without him next to me.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

I am right there with ya. I love it, except when it comes to bedtime. I’m a big scaredy cat.

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — June 30, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Oh, goodness….this sounds amazing.

Shereen — June 30, 2011 @ 8:34 am

OHMYGOD I’m so excited for this. Even more excited than I am to go camping this weekend, which means I don’t have to shower for three days. You know that’s saying something.

I have frozen watermelon in my freezer. I wonder if I could blend this all together and make a watermelon/mint smoothie.

Christine — June 30, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Wait a minute – there is COCONUT La Croix now? Must get to Target immediately…

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 8:50 am

YES!!! My cousin brought it to the beach. BEST THING EVER. And… also really delicious with vodka. Just sayin’.

leslie — June 30, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Ohhhhh delish. These just scream summer!!

Brooke @ bittersweetb — June 30, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Those look so good, and I don’t even like watermelon. YUM!

Lisa | Life in Green — June 30, 2011 @ 9:07 am

Dang it, I’m at work. I need this now! Do you deliver….to Iowa?

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I wish!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 30, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I would totally be a spinster if I had a King size bed and 1000 thread count sheets too!
    This reminds me of a rootbeer float, gone fruity. I love it!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 30, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Wow this looks so refreshing!! Definitely better than a generic root beer float (bleck I don’t like those anyways lol)! These photos are swoon worthy too Jess, they are just gorgeous.

Clare — June 30, 2011 @ 9:14 am

OMG!!! this is such a great idea. it also might be my breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next fifteen or so years.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 30, 2011 @ 9:15 am

That’s quite the drippy mess you’ve got there lol. I love how simple it is though – even okay for kids on occasion.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — June 30, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Watermelon is my summer obsession so I’m so glad you’re crazy and made this! :-)

kate — June 30, 2011 @ 9:24 am

oooh those look delicious I love watermelon and mint together!

Cait's Plate — June 30, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Okay – I tweeted this to you but I think you are officially my new best friend. I LOVE FELICITY!! And could easily come over, slurp mint & watermelon soda floats and watch 6 episodes of Felicity in a row with you :)

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Let’s do it!

Lauren — June 30, 2011 @ 9:27 am

You do realize that with all this greenery you don’t need to eat broccoli for a year now, right? Ah…summertime bliss.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Excellent point!

Julie H. — June 30, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Looks good! And so creative….. Maybe add some vodka for a Friday night treat?

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Watermelon vodka! Or maybe even rum and then it would be like a mojito.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) — June 30, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Haha, what else could mint be? It could be an herb. lol
    These look SICK. want.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 30, 2011 @ 9:50 am

This sounds so good right now! Surprisingly, I’ve had no sweet tooth this summer. I don’t even know myself anymore. But I do crave bubbly drinks all the time. Yea, buying kombucha and Italian sodas are not good for the wallet. But this is going to be my cheap solution to my cravings!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I don’t really like carbonation but I LOVE Italian Sodas!

peabody — June 30, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Looks super refreshing!

Susan (Oliepants) — June 30, 2011 @ 10:07 am

I hate hate hate root beer floats – mostly because I hate root beer. But the float idea always seemed so delicious. This would be perfect someone like me!! :)

Liz — June 30, 2011 @ 10:11 am

This looks insanely delicious – you are a genius!

natalie (the sweets life) — June 30, 2011 @ 10:15 am

you’ve combined my two favorite things: watermelon & ice cream. I imagine this would be a giant party in my mouth!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 30, 2011 @ 10:15 am

So beautiful and girly! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 30, 2011 @ 10:32 am

This is super cute Jessica! Perfect for the holiday weekend :)

Baking Serendipity — June 30, 2011 @ 10:42 am

I love single lady days sometimes. It would mean that I would actually have the ice cream I bought in the freezer to make this :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats | Family Kitchen

2. Pingback: How I Come Up With This Stuff. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 98 | my kitchen addiction

4. Pingback: Up North « The Bookworm Wife

5. Pingback: Refreshing a Refresher « life in green

6. Pingback: Inspiring Links

7. Pingback: 4th of July Weekend « The Bookworm Wife

8. Pingback: Too cool for summer: delicious minty recipes « Parisleaf's Blog

9. Pingback: » Highlights: Watermelon

10. Pingback: Watermelon Ice Pops | Your Kind of Salad

11. Pingback: Fruits 101: How to Pick the Perfect Produce | Yummly

12. Pingback: Summer Desserts

13. Pingback: Watermelon Desserts and More | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

14. Pingback: 10 Memorial Day Recipes | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Mint & Watermelon Soda Float! : Magic Bullet Blog

16. Pingback: Food – Perfect Ice Cream Floats for a Perfect Summer Treat | Everything Cool

17. Pingback: Fourth of July Style | Simple Pleasures

18. Pingback: WATERMELON FLAVORED TREATS | Best Friends For Frosting

19. Pingback: Fourth of July Style | Simple Pleasures

20. Pingback: My Blog » KFP: Parve Watermelon Mint Soda Float Recipe

21. Pingback: 10 Fruity and Tasteful Desert Recipes that Will Delight Your Senses this Summer | GlamGrid

22. Pingback: Boardwalk at Med Center Apartments - San Antonio, TX - These Watermelon Desserts Make Summer Even Sweeter

23. Pingback: West Park Village Apartments - Tampa, FL - These Watermelon Desserts Make Summer Even Sweeter

24. Pingback: Miller Station on Peachtree Apartments - Atlanta, GA - Serve These Watermelon Desserts to Your Guests at Miller Station

25. Pingback: The Augusta Apartments - Houston, TX - These Watermelon Desserts Make Summer Even Sweeter

26. Pingback: Happy National Watermelon Day! | Slim Paley

27. Pingback: Windsor at Harpers Crossing Apartments - Langhorne, PA - These Watermelon Desserts Make Summer Even Sweeter

28. Pingback: 19 Reasons Ice Cream Floats Are The Perfect Summer Treat | War