I’ve been playing single lady since Sunday.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Really… I find this quite lovely.

It means I blast the Jersey Boys soundtrack and watch 6 episodes of Felicity in a row. It means I survive on things for dinner that don’t contain giant slabs of meat. Most importantly, it means that I get the entire bed to myself which makes me consider spending the rest of my life as a spinster with 1000 thread count sheets. Ah… comfy.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

It also means I drink things like this that look fancy but aren’t really fancy at all for lunch.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

In case you were wondering, lunch is my new favorite meal.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Wowza. It should be yours too.

I know. I KNOW. It probably appears that I’ve lost my marbles. Mint + watermelon + bubbles + ice cream? It just works I tell you. And mint is like… technically a vegetable right?! I mean, what else would it be? So this is really a fruit and veggie milkshake.

I love when life makes sense.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Coming home to this on a hot day… it can’t be beat. You should feed it to your friends after a sweaty day on the beach. Who cares if they aren’t hungry. More importantly… what does it feel like to not be hungry? Your family too, after a sweaty day on the playground. Maybe they’ll even cook for you. Or do chores or something? If you can’t find anything for them to do send them my way. Cleaning gives me the heebie jeebies and this place could use some mopping.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Holy refreshing Batman. Give it a [literal] whirl and you’ll be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats

serves 2

2 1/2 cups fresh watermelon chunks (large seeds removed, the small white ones are fine)

12-15 fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped

12 ounces club soda or carbonated water of choice

vanilla ice cream

In a blender, combine the watermelon, mint and water. Blend and pulse quickly, just until watermelon has broken down – this should only take about 30-60 seconds or so. The blending will “de-carbonate” the water a bit, but it should still have some fizz. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl, glass or measuring cup in order to remove the seeds. Fill two glasses with vanilla ice cream and pour watermelon soda over top. Garnish with additional fresh mint.

Note: Haven’t tried it yet, but I think that this would also be great with some flavored carbonated waters, such as lime or coconut La Croix.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Slurp.

167 Responses to “Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats.”

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — June 30, 2011 @ 10:48 am

This looks amazing! I am bookmarking and headed to the store for ingredients! :)

EatLiveRun — June 30, 2011 @ 10:50 am

LOVE!

Shanna, Like Banana — June 30, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I would never have thought about this, but it is pure genius. The ice cream with watermelon? Heck, why not?

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 30, 2011 @ 11:00 am

That looks AMAZING!! Your photography skills are ridiculous. I think I just left a little drool on the keyboard. ;)

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Thank you so much!

Cait @ UrbanFencepost — June 30, 2011 @ 11:16 am

You come up with the best concoctions! This is a perfect summer drink!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — June 30, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Wow that looks amazing. Watermelon and ice cream? Yum! I made watermelon “smoothies” a lot when it was just starting to get warm and now I need something different :D This is it!

AKM — June 30, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Not just to show I read to the very end, but WHAT? There’s a coconut flavored La Croix? I’m going to have to try and hunt that down!

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

YES! It is amazing.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 30, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I can’t think of anything more refreshing in summer than watermelon! Add ice cream, and I’m hooked :)

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 30, 2011 @ 11:45 am

you’re a freaking genius.

Katrina — June 30, 2011 @ 11:49 am

I think this is perfectly healthy with 3 of the food groups in there–dairy, fruit, veggies–Paula Deen always makes delicious looking desserts then jokes that they need a little vegetable on them and puts a sprig of mit on the plate so it’s healthy. ;)
    And this sounds like a great combo to me. I LOVE watermelon and mint together.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I like the way you (and Paula) think.

alex — June 30, 2011 @ 11:55 am

ah..Felicity. ah…watermelon. yum and yum

amy — June 30, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

yum! perfect for the 4th of july! just needs some vodka :)

Katie D — June 30, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Now all I want to do is sit and watch a Felicity marathon and drink this!

Steph @321delish — June 30, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Wow! I’ve never thought to create my own soda for a float! And I love the watermelon + mint combo! I may even throw in some cukes, but that may be too much veggie for you:-)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — June 30, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

So refreshing! LOVE IT!

Leigh — June 30, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

I think you should combine this recipe with your margarita recipe. I’ve already made your margarita recipe 2 times. In the past week.

Eboni Jones — June 30, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

That looks so yummy!!! I will have to try this in the near future.

Kristina — June 30, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I bet it would be good with sprite.

Stephanie Rose — June 30, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

Yikes! This looks almost too pretty to drink! Eh, I take that back. Love the site, and definitely will be reading it daily!

Ann Claire — June 30, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Wooza’s this looks amazing!!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — June 30, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

This is one of the most original recipes I have ever seen online…and it is so beautiful and likely incredibly delicious. I am just so impressed that I am flabbergasted.

Although I love my hubby dearly, I do love it when he heads out-of-town, for reasons similar to those mentioned above.

Shannon — June 30, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

i bet some rum would be another fantastic addition :)

Karly — June 30, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Totally nutritious lunch. Dairy, fruit, and veggies.

I like to add parsley to everything I cook…it’s green. Green is healthy. Green means vegetable.

Lindsay — June 30, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

YUM! And fun! I love Felicity, and bed-hogging, and fizzy, ice cream drinks. ;)

Serena K — June 30, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

FYI, watermelon is a vegetable…more power to ya 8p

Katrina — June 30, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

This looks dreamy. I’m in love.

Lot-O-Choc — June 30, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Oh my i havent had an ice cream float in so long and your photos are making me want one so badly, that vanilla ice cream looks delicious!

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — June 30, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Umm…AMAZING! You come up with some great combinations!

janetha @ meals & moves — June 30, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

HOLY SHIT I NEED ONE OF THESE! Just in time for National Ice Cream Soda Day. TODAY.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 30, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

holy bagejesus!!! that looks faboooo

Charissa — June 30, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Haha, yes…I feel the same way. Cleaning gives me the heebie jeebies too…

Love the photos and the recipe looks amazing…gaaah, just want to pull that drink right through the screen!

Ashleigh — June 30, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

Just stumbled across your blog a couple days ago. I think I have girl crush. So much fun stuff. I love the combo of good (real) food sprinkled with legit workouts. I can’t get enough of that cupcake picture. Thanks for sharing.

alison @ Ingredients, INc. — June 30, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

very fun! Love these

Becki@beckiswholelife — June 30, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

This sounds great. I love watermelon and mint together and no one else in this house agrees with me..so thank you!

M — June 30, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Looks amazing. Felicity is one of the best shows ever. I’d like to curl up with that float and watch a marathon ALL DAY!!!!

Milisa @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 30, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

This looks like the perfect summer indulgence! I love it.

Marijke — July 1, 2011 @ 4:16 am

1) These look ridiculously amazing.
    2) “cooler than the other side of a pillow”? SO funny!

AikoVenus — July 1, 2011 @ 4:31 am

I don’t like watermelon too much but this both looks and sounds delicious! I might just have to try it. ^.~

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — July 1, 2011 @ 6:14 am

Great Idea! At first I thought the ice cream was cream cheese and wasn’t sure what you were planning on making! Glad it was ice cream!lol

Cookbook Queen — July 1, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Know what is even better than Felicity? Kerry Russell in Waitress. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I want this soda float. I want it now.

Andi — July 1, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

If you’re worried about losing the fizz, why not blend the watermelon and mint, strain it, then stir in the carbonated water? *shrug* just a thought. Looks great, I’ll be trying it this weekend! :)

Sandi — July 1, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

O.M.G.!
    I read this and ran straight out to the store to get watermelon and fresh mint!
    Came home and halved the recipe – ‘cuz my family is all male and they would not appreciate this at all.
    IT.IS.AMAZING!
    I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy the mint with my favorite summertime fruit – but it is SOOOOOOO GOOD!
    Even better? I made it with Alton Brown’s Serious Vanilla Ice Cream recipe that I made earlier this week – so now I am in sensory heaven as I sit sipping and thinking – do I dare make another one????
    Thanks again Jessica – this is a keeper!!!!!!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — July 1, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

This looks crazy good!

Jill — July 1, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

I just made these like an hour ago. I decided to use tonic water because I don’t like such sweets drinks and with the ice cream and watermelon, I thought it would be sweet enough. It was way too bitter and I also put too much mint. So next time, I will definitely use soda and less mint! It was really refreshing otherwise! Thanks.

the kitchen curtains — July 1, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Just bought the ingredients. Next step, blend. So excited to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Amy — July 1, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Wow. These look amazing!!! I’m not a big watermelon fan, but with ice cream and mint?? I don’t see how I would NOT like this. Gorgeously delicious.

Also, I love the random times where hubby isn’t around for dinner. I can make chicken picatta, risotto, rice…anything that isn’t considered “homecookin” because he doesn’t like anything but that!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — July 1, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

oh my god

julia — July 1, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

this is way too beautious. you rock

april — July 1, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

It’s good to know someone else puts watermelon in their ice cream. Well actually, I make watermelon cheesecake ice cream. I know it sounds odd but its heaven! It’s kinda like cotton candy flavored homemade ice cream

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — July 2, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Okay…that is just pure genius and looks undeniably sinful! Playing single lady does have its benefits! I will definitely be making this next time I get the bed all to myself.