I’ve been playing single lady since Sunday.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Really… I find this quite lovely.

It means I blast the Jersey Boys soundtrack and watch 6 episodes of Felicity in a row. It means I survive on things for dinner that don’t contain giant slabs of meat. Most importantly, it means that I get the entire bed to myself which makes me consider spending the rest of my life as a spinster with 1000 thread count sheets. Ah… comfy.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

It also means I drink things like this that look fancy but aren’t really fancy at all for lunch.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

In case you were wondering, lunch is my new favorite meal.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Wowza. It should be yours too.

I know. I KNOW. It probably appears that I’ve lost my marbles. Mint + watermelon + bubbles + ice cream? It just works I tell you. And mint is like… technically a vegetable right?! I mean, what else would it be? So this is really a fruit and veggie milkshake.

I love when life makes sense.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Coming home to this on a hot day… it can’t be beat. You should feed it to your friends after a sweaty day on the beach. Who cares if they aren’t hungry. More importantly… what does it feel like to not be hungry? Your family too, after a sweaty day on the playground. Maybe they’ll even cook for you. Or do chores or something? If you can’t find anything for them to do send them my way. Cleaning gives me the heebie jeebies and this place could use some mopping.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Holy refreshing Batman. Give it a [literal] whirl and you’ll be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats

serves 2

2 1/2 cups fresh watermelon chunks (large seeds removed, the small white ones are fine)

12-15 fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped

12 ounces club soda or carbonated water of choice

vanilla ice cream

In a blender, combine the watermelon, mint and water. Blend and pulse quickly, just until watermelon has broken down – this should only take about 30-60 seconds or so. The blending will “de-carbonate” the water a bit, but it should still have some fizz. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl, glass or measuring cup in order to remove the seeds. Fill two glasses with vanilla ice cream and pour watermelon soda over top. Garnish with additional fresh mint.

Note: Haven’t tried it yet, but I think that this would also be great with some flavored carbonated waters, such as lime or coconut La Croix.

Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Slurp.

167 Responses to “Fresh Mint and Watermelon Soda Floats.”

Miranda — July 4, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Wow. And I love your explanation (next post) of how you got to this recipe!

Teri — July 5, 2011 @ 11:21 am

I think I found a good use for all the mint in my garden…great recipes!

Jen — July 6, 2011 @ 11:35 am

I just found your blog today… and judging from this and the beer marshmallows, you are my new favorite person ever. And I haven’t even read that post about the funfetti cupcakes yet.

Anyway, these floats are gorgeous and sound amazing. Thank you!

Sandi — July 6, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Jessica – why?!?!? Why did you have to get me started with these amazing summertime drink concoctions? They are all I think about. Morning, noon and night.
    Jamba has nothing on them. Starbucks? Pshaw.
    I told all my girlfriends about them. Got quizzical looks, and just smirked to myself.
    They are rookies – they know not what awaits them in this pretty pink, cool and refreshing, bubbly and creamy glass of deliciousness.
    I am usually all about the visual – and presentation – but with these?
    I can’t strain the mixture fast enough – and always pour it into the glass with ice cream wayyy too fast!
    I spill – but I don’t take the time to wipe. And I don’t place a pretty mint leaf on top either.
    Hello, my name is Sandi -
    and I am a Fresh Mint and Watermelon Float addict.

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Hahahahah! Great comment Sandi.

• Sandi — August 31st, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

thank you! And btw – It is August 31, 26 days after my original post.
        And I just slurped the last of the pink frothiness out of my glass.
        Is there some kind of Intervention for this?!?!?!

Maddie — July 8, 2011 @ 11:44 am

This looks amazing YUMMM!! definitely making this : D can’t wait

Kathy — July 8, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Jessica, I have never seen “coconut La Croix water” Is this something that you have by you? We love flavored carbonated waters and coconut is one which we have never come across. But I know we would LOVE it!!! BTW Polar Seltzer makes an amazing Vanilla Seltzer that I have gotten all of my neighbors (and kids) addicted to. If you can find it near you…buy it…by the case!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:06 am

We have found it at Target!! Have you tried the other La Croix flavors? They are in a can and delicious. I’ve never heard of the Polar seltzer! I want some.

sheila @ Elements — July 10, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Your pictures are just killing me!!! You’re making me totally crave one of these floats!! I’m definitely gonna have to try this! :)

Amy @ Elephant Eats — July 18, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

You could prob add the carbonation after blending to keep from defizzing, right? Sounds amazing!

• Kari — July 26th, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Just tried this recipe – blended up the mint and watermelon together and then strained them into the club soda and poured it over the ice cream afterwards. It worked great – it’s REALLY refreshing. Makes me wish I had being doing something strenuous a minute ago so that I could fully appreciate it. :)

sophistimom — July 30, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

Wow. These look incredible.

stanley titus — March 20, 2012 @ 1:20 am

This 1000 thread count sheets has the most prevalent percale sheets contain of 180 to 200 threads per inch, and the top quality sheets contain a 250 to 300 thread count and look and feel silky to touch, it was a clear explanation from my shopping.

Jenn @therebelchick — April 30, 2012 @ 11:01 am

I would have never thought to pair watermelon and ice cream…but now I feel like I MUST try this!

idiosyncratic eye — May 27, 2012 @ 9:49 am

I am the biggest ice cream soda fan so this rocks! Watermelon, who’d have thought. :)

Canette — July 4, 2012 @ 10:25 am