Have any love to spare? These bundles need it.

Remember when I made those strawberry lemonade cupcakes? The cupcakes that I treated like dirt? The cupcakes that I felt were undeserving of my love? And my chew? The cupcakes that I just wasn’t into?

These came out of my kitchen that same day. Weeks ago. Days ago. 850 years ago. What decade is it?

I must not have been feeling the kitchen that day. Sometimes I love it, other days I loathe it. Some days my breads rise, my cupcakes fluff and my chicken caramelizes. Others my cake sinks, my garlic bread burns, my steak tastes like rubber and my broccoli… well, my broccoli dies. In the crisper drawer. Like always.

[I just learn to move on. Because in the grand scheme of things, broccoli is disgusting. Always. Always, always, always.]

No idea what was going on that day. I baked. Things worked. I ate. Lots. I walked 6 miles. Developed the worst blisters I’ve ever had in my life. Consoled myself with ice cream. Watched Father of the Bride. Twice.

Ate bacon. Bacon! How can a day with bacon be… blah?!

Weeks ago, a lovely reader named Laura sent me this recipe. Hi Laura! For some odd reason… she thought this had my name all over it. I have no idea why. Bacon. Butter. Bacon. Butter.

No idea.

Made them. Loved them! Adapted the recipe just slightly. Fresh green beans. Less butter. More broiling. Took weeeeeks to share them with you. Maybe because they sort of look like spiders? That’s got to be what you’re thinking. Right? I know it is. Because I know you. Me and you? We’re likethis.

Which means you will love these. They are green bean fries meets crispy bacon meets brown sugar garlic bath. Don’t say no.

Green Bean Bacon Bundles

makes about 10-12 bundles

1 pound fresh green beans

10-12 slices of thick-cut bacon

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.

Wash and thoroughly dry green beans, then season with salt and pepper. Bundle together about 5-8 green beans – this will depend on your size of beans and the amount of beans you get for one pound. Bundle together as many as you’d like! Using a slice of bacon, wrap it around the center of the beans to hold it together. Lay the bundle bacon seam side down in the baking dish to hold it together. Repeat with remaining beans.

Heat a small saucepan over low heat. Add butter, brown sugar and garlic and whisk until melted and combined. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture over top of each green bean bundle. Cover the bundles with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more, just until bacon gets crispy.

Bacon for life!

185 Responses to “Green Bean Bacon Bundles.”

Stephanie — June 10, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Since bacon is a breakfast-y food, so it’s okay that I’m whipping these up at 8.30am… riiiiight? Thought so :)

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

Absolutely.

amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma — June 10, 2011 @ 11:58 am

HOLY yum…this looks so good! I actually loved your strawberry lemonade cupcakes – I made them – minus the strawberry :-( I didn’t have any…..but the lemon part was DELISH!!! I love anything lemon – and chocolate…oh and bacon.

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

SO glad you liked them!

Rachel — June 10, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Yum! These look amazing!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — June 10, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

These look gorgeous! I’m going to keep them in mind when I get some fresh green beans. I think they will taste 10000 times better. You make veggies look good

• Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com — June 11th, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I’m with you Kat!
      GORGEOUS photos!
      Jessica makes does make veggies look good!
      I LOVE green beans!
      I HATE broccoli!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — June 10, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

What a great idea Jessica. I love how wrapping the bean bundles in bacon makes them look so fancy. This looks great for a dinner party.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — June 10, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I have been looking for some new green bean recipes! These are perfect!

Jessica — June 10, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Oh my goodness… (I think I say this every time I comment on your page) Your recipes just blow me away! These are so pretty and elegant looking. Perfect for guests.

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Thanks Jessica!

Katie — June 10, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I just laughed at the word “bacon bundles” – I’ll have to wait until vegetarian month is over at our house, but I know Meeker will swoon when I make these. Recipe bookmarked.

Allison — June 10, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Wow. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Gina (Yogattude) — June 10, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

wow, this is sinful!

Kim S. — June 10, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I make something similar to this, but I (*gasp*) just pour a can of Campbell’s French Onion soup over the top of the bean bundles and broil. I’m definitely going to try this recipe though, as my husband LOVES my cheat version.

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Um, I think that sounds fabulous.

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots — June 10, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

HOLY YUM! Must make. Now.

Emily the Lady Pastor — June 10, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

YUM. They look so tasty and lovely!

Lynne — June 10, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Those green beans look absolutely delicious and I can just imagine the wonderful flavor with the bacon grease dripping over them! I want them now…and I just ate my bowl of cereal.
    This is bookmarked!

Maria — June 10, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Love the bundle idea!

Stevie Brisendine — June 10, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

My favorite recipe!! I’ve been doing it at Thanksgiving for years. I add one more thing though instead of salt.. 1 tablespoon of soy sauce!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Great idea! Love that.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — June 10, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

If I keep reading your blog I’ll have to buy bacon again one day. These look fabulous! I have resisted the bacon on everything trend, but my or my, you are talking to me now!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

If you bought bacon from simply reading my blog, I would consider that a giant success. ;)

Sophiegoose — June 10, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Have you ever cooked bacon on the grill? You just get a tray that fits on the grill and cook it like you would in a frying pan. Except it gets that amazing smokey grill flavor!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Oh my gosh… no I haven’t, and was just wondering yesterday if it was possible!

• Sophiegoose — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Yes! I think you can do it right on the grill, but I do it using a big pancake griddle pan (so the drippings don’t get all nasty)!

kristin — June 10, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I love these! I make these, but instead of the brown sugar I marinate the green beans in Italian dressing first and they are so delicious!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

That sounds fabulous!

Moni'sMeals — June 10, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

wow. This will make many bacon lovers happy and trick them to eat their veggies. :)

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — June 10, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

These look amazing!!!! I love anything caramelized so this recipe is being printed out for future use, pronto!

Lindsey @ Morningstar Project — June 10, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

I think you are single-handily giving bacon it’s biggest culinary comeback. Then again I actually can’t remember a time it wasn’t in style, we just weren’t giving it the respect it deserves.

Joy — June 10, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I have always heard of bacon with asparagus but never with green beans! Got to try this out!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — June 10, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Green beans don’t usually make me say “I need to eat this rightthissecond” but I seriously want to make those tonight. Genius.

Naomi — June 10, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

bahaha i laiughed at the very last sentence “bacon for life” like all the green bean bundles are buddies and best friends and sticking together hahaha

Heather — June 10, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Oh man, I got this recipe from my stepmother-in-law a couple of years ago (just with a whole stick of butter and a half cup of brown sugar! yum!)… most crowd pleasing dish I’ve ever made. Ever! So, so, so, so good! Whenever we have potlucks at work, or for parties, or holiday dinners, these are requested!

Vanessa — June 10, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

I just had to share…
    Since you’ve told us how much you enjoy anything romance-related as far as books go, I had to recommend Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard. It’s a love story with recipes in addition to the chapters. Can’t put it down!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

Ah! Thank you Vanessa!

melissa@the hungry artist — June 10, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

Awesome recipe!! Bacon makes everything taste wonderful. These are such cute bundles too!!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — June 10, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Is there anything that you won’t put bacon around?

peggy — June 10, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

We planted a lot of Kentucky Wonder green beans this year. They are just starting to climb the ropes up the poles. I plan to cook a lot of fresh green beans, pickle them and can them… and now I plan to make these too! I think these would love fabulous on a huge platter for Thanksgiving! Thanks for the recipe!

Erin — June 11, 2011 @ 4:57 am

I am dying over here! Bacon is my guilty pleasure! The kind you put on a pan and bake in the over-not the microwave kind! Ahhhhhhh–I need some bacon!

xx

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — June 11, 2011 @ 6:27 am

I want to try this recipe out for my kids, especially my four year old. He is afraid of trying green beans but maybe with some bacon he’ll change his mind!

Ann — June 11, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Wow! Those look amazing! I have to say – I like the adaptation you’ve done better than the original! I love the fact that you baked them til the bacon was crisp and have a tiny bit of char on them – which is where the flavor is! Awesome post!

Michelle F. — June 11, 2011 @ 8:20 am

I showed this to my husband and his first comment was “mmmmmm. Ooh. It would work with asparagus too!” yuck! :)

• Brooks — September 5th, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

I’m a guy – and when I saw these, the first thing I said was “WOW, that should work with asparagus, too!” LOL!

Tamizn — June 11, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Yum I bet they were little bundles of tasty joy! x x

Beth@Give a girl the right shoes — June 11, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

These look delicious! I love all your tasty recipes and beautiful pictures that go along with it!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 11, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

love these! I have made them with asparagus also, but they sure never look half as pretty as yours!

Lainie — June 11, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Made these last night — incredible. Thanks for the recipe!

Suzanne — June 11, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Now this is a “present” I would love to get for any occasion!! LOL

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes — June 11, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

great blog! these are so cute wrapped up in tiny little bundles! i love this recipe, it’s a great summer bbq one!

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 11, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Such a fun way to prepare green beans. Love the name “bundles” too!

Katrina — June 11, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Great idea!

emily — June 11, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

totally making these with the flank steak right now. looking forward to eating it!!!!

J Miller @ AllTheThymeInTheWorld — June 12, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Ha, I just love your posts.. You and me? We’re like this.. lol. I am so making these.. tommorow.. before work.. at 6:00 am. I mean how can I be expected to work without bacon?

Maddie — June 12, 2011 @ 2:01 am

Bacon…..beauty in its truest form. This looks great!

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 12, 2011 @ 2:49 am

These look amazing. I’ll have to try them when our beans grow in and report back! :)

Heather — June 12, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Even though I enjoy the taste of green beans very much, I do not have many recipes. This one looks delicious. Green beans combined with bacon is a great idea, bacon simply saves the day and you can serve this to a stubborn meateater as well.

Corey — June 12, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Ahh these look great. Everything becomes 100x better when bacon is added. Might go out and get these green beens today :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit — June 12, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I’m not bacon’s #1 fan but those look pretty fantastic even to me :-)

Mellie — June 12, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Oh my goodness these look AMAZING.