Have any love to spare? These bundles need it.

Remember when I made those strawberry lemonade cupcakes? The cupcakes that I treated like dirt? The cupcakes that I felt were undeserving of my love? And my chew? The cupcakes that I just wasn’t into?

These came out of my kitchen that same day. Weeks ago. Days ago. 850 years ago. What decade is it?

I must not have been feeling the kitchen that day. Sometimes I love it, other days I loathe it. Some days my breads rise, my cupcakes fluff and my chicken caramelizes. Others my cake sinks, my garlic bread burns, my steak tastes like rubber and my broccoli… well, my broccoli dies. In the crisper drawer. Like always.

[I just learn to move on. Because in the grand scheme of things, broccoli is disgusting. Always. Always, always, always.]

No idea what was going on that day. I baked. Things worked. I ate. Lots. I walked 6 miles. Developed the worst blisters I’ve ever had in my life. Consoled myself with ice cream. Watched Father of the Bride. Twice.

Ate bacon. Bacon! How can a day with bacon be… blah?!

Weeks ago, a lovely reader named Laura sent me this recipe. Hi Laura! For some odd reason… she thought this had my name all over it. I have no idea why. Bacon. Butter. Bacon. Butter.

No idea.

Made them. Loved them! Adapted the recipe just slightly. Fresh green beans. Less butter. More broiling. Took weeeeeks to share them with you. Maybe because they sort of look like spiders? That’s got to be what you’re thinking. Right? I know it is. Because I know you. Me and you? We’re likethis.

Which means you will love these. They are green bean fries meets crispy bacon meets brown sugar garlic bath. Don’t say no.

Green Bean Bacon Bundles

makes about 10-12 bundles

1 pound fresh green beans

10-12 slices of thick-cut bacon

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.

Wash and thoroughly dry green beans, then season with salt and pepper. Bundle together about 5-8 green beans – this will depend on your size of beans and the amount of beans you get for one pound. Bundle together as many as you’d like! Using a slice of bacon, wrap it around the center of the beans to hold it together. Lay the bundle bacon seam side down in the baking dish to hold it together. Repeat with remaining beans.

Heat a small saucepan over low heat. Add butter, brown sugar and garlic and whisk until melted and combined. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture over top of each green bean bundle. Cover the bundles with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more, just until bacon gets crispy.

Bacon for life!

183 Responses to “Green Bean Bacon Bundles.”

cantstopbaking — June 12, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Ok, Have i spaced out completely?? When did you get your makeover? The new look is gorgeous! Your pictures look so fresh and amazing. Loving it!!

brandi — June 13, 2011 @ 10:34 am

we LOVE making these! they have a permanent place on our Thanksgiving table :) We usually do green beans + bacon + a drizzle of Italian or French Dressing OR the brown sugar/maple syrup. So, so good – and easy!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 14, 2011 @ 12:14 am

Those would be perfect to make while camping!! I showed the hubby the pics and told him we had to make them!!

TheMeatHouse — June 14, 2011 @ 10:33 am

YEAH, bacon for life! Talk about sprucing up your veggies ;) Love the recipe.

Abigail — June 14, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Made these last night and I wasn’t very enthused about them – until I took a bite. They were amazing.

Elle — June 14, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

Delicious spiders, maybe. Wait-there’s no such thing.

Andrea @ From the Bookshelf — June 14, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Bacon makes ANYthing taste better – perhaps even the spiders! These look great!

Bacon Goddess — June 14, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Wow. Okay.

This looks delicious – I am SO blogging about your recipe!

:D

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 15, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Very interesting recipe! I’ve never thought to do bacon with green beans… But, I think it’s something worth trying :)

Beth — June 15, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

OMG. I made these for my family this weekend. My daughter said “green beans and bacon were just made for each other arn’t they Mom” I believe we have a new staple in our menu.

Thanks

Kate — June 16, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I made these last night and they were a hug hit, thanks for the recipe!

Amber Cullum — June 21, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Making them right now!!! If we love them as much as the rest of the commenters, I too will be blogging about them. Of course, I will link back to you.

Judy@Savoring Today — July 22, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Love it! Little green bean soldiers in bacon jackets–awesome.

Susan — August 9, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

I made these the other day… awesome! I am in love. And my kids (for once) ate their veggies without complaining! Thank you thank you thank you. I’m blogging about this right now.

bonnie — August 21, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

I just discovered your website today. your recipes are truly amazing and inspirational. I love to cook and bake and so looking forward to making many of your recipes. I so appreciate you sharing your knowledge and humor. Your a very generous person and it must warm your heart to know you are bringing joy to a lot of people’s home. I will pay it forward.

Emily Chambless — November 17, 2011 @ 2:34 am

We have been making these for years! We put brown sugar and honey catalina dressing on them. My kids also like pineapple chunks wrapped in bacon this way..can’t really go wrong with bacon!

Margie — November 17, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

We make these using bottled bar-be-cue sauce. Delicious!

Dea — December 17, 2011 @ 12:35 am

Been making similar recipe from my mother many years ago. Mix together the butter, brown sugar and garlic, and put a glob of it on the green bean bundle, wrapping bacon over it. YUMMO! Can’t wait to try pouring it over, bet it will taste fabulous!

McKenzi — February 14, 2012 @ 12:23 am

I wanna pin these!

C. — February 14, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

Pretty sure I’d eat a real spider if it were wrapped in bacon! These sound so yummy!

Jessie — February 20, 2012 @ 10:04 am

So good – thank you. And easy.

Kim — April 18, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Yummo! Can’t go wrong with bacon. Thanks for sharing.

Misty — April 22, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I made these one day and LOVED them. I didn’t use the butter or garlic though. I washed my fresh green beans, cut the tips off and I boiled them for just a bit to make them a little tender. (I added some bacon fat to the water when boiling them.) I then rinsed and drained them and Sprinkled with salt and pepper. The bacon I had already cut in half and rubbed with brown sugar (enough to coat one side). I bundled my green beans and wrapped the bacon around and laid them, seam side down, and baked for 35 minutes uncovered. I assume the covering was to make the bean tender. They were so good I made them twice in one week.

Dea Windsor — May 13, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Was so surprised to see this recipe here – it has been a family favorite for over 60 years. Only difference is that we mixed the butter, garlic, brown sugar, and put a little dollop of it on the beans before wrapping. They are indeed magic!! Look bad, taste sensational!

Jen — May 24, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and LOVED it! Thanks so much!

AJ — May 29, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was Fantastic!! Followed recipe exactly and I wouldn’t change a thing! The Green Beans were tender and seasoned perfectly. My gang loved it and want me to make again this week!!! I found the recipe on Pinterest and will add a comment for other to know how good it is. I also plan to post my version on my blog and will put a direct link to your recipe and site. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe. AJ@queenofmynest

Kim — September 26, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

When I saw this on pinterest, I thought it was asparagus, but green beans with bacon?? yummm! Thanks for the recipe.

Sarah — October 19, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

Im pretty sure I’m doing this with aspatagus tonight…. or maybe next week.. cuz its date night,.. right.. but I am doing this. for shizzle nice once.

Emily M T — November 25, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Made these as part of a Thanksgiving meal for my boyfriend last week, and we were both obsessed! His roommate snuck one of the leftover bundles and described it as a “mouth orgasm.” Thank you for the many great recipes!

Lauren — December 25, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Made these last night for Christmas Eve party and they were a HUGE hit! Party goers said they were the best thing on the menu! Thanks for a delicious recipe!