I want to tell you all about this salmon, but I can barely think about grilling. Ever since arriving in Austin, all I want to do is take a long, hot bath in a tub of ice cream. Heavy on the ice please.

Um… it’s a little warm here.

But before I left Pittsburgh and walked into the personal 24- hour steam bath that is currently circling my body, I made potato salad. Then I made salmon. Then we ate it. Together.

I totally could have lived on that potato salad alone, but according to my other half, potatoes do not a dinner make. Why, why, why?

I heated some blueberries until they bubbled and burst, and made a quick homemade barbecue sauce with slightly less sugar than usual. Nearly ate it with a spoon. Slathered it on some buttery grilled salmon and called it a day. Ate until I could no longer breathe and enjoyed every moment.

Do this. It’s fantastic.

Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon

sauce adapted from The Neely’s

serves 2-3

1 1/4 pounds salmon filet (whole or cut into portions)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

for the sauce:

1/3 cup fresh blueberries

1/3 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I used blueberry flavored)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add blueberries. Heat until the begin to bubble and burst, about 10 minutes, then mash with a fork. Add in ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, ground mustard and worcestershire sauce. Whisk well to combine and break up blueberries and turn the heat up to medium. Heat until mixture bubbles, stirring every few minutes, then turn heat back down to low. Cook for 20 minutes, whisking every few minutes. Sauce will be slightly clumpy and thicker than regular BBQ sauce.

Preheat your grill to it’s highest setting. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and once the grill is hot, lay filet directly on top. Cook for 5 minutes, then gently flip. Using a pastry brush, brush BBQ sauce on salmon and let cook until flaky and opaque, about 5-6 more minutes. This will also depend on the thickness of your salmon (mine was about 1 1/2 inches thick). Once salmon is finished, slather with remaining BBQ sauce and serve.

Off to survive the heat!

152 Responses to “Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 3, 2011 @ 7:37 am

i never thought to add blueberries to BBQ sauce but it sounds REALLY good! sorry austin’s a little toasty…although i have to say i miss that sometimes! it was nice to not have to be completely slathered in lotion all.the.time!

• Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com — June 3rd, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I agree with you Heather…. never thought to add blueberries to a BBQ sauce for salmon either. Although, I do have a sweet blueberry sauce on my blog/site that I serve over “sea scallops” that is to-die-for!

And I hate the Texas heat!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

That sounds amazing. I LOVE scallops!

Ali — June 3, 2011 @ 7:40 am

So pretty, and delicious looking too. I love having a sweet glaze on top of salmon. Gonna pin this one to share with others :)

Kim in MD — June 3, 2011 @ 7:41 am

This looks and sounds amazing, Jessica. You are so creative! Oh- and I could so eat just potato salad for dinner, too! Have fun in Austin! :-)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 3, 2011 @ 7:46 am

I would love to just eat that with a spoon — blueberry BBQ sauce sounds so delicious.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 3, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Right up my alley! I just made a blueberry sauce to go with pork. Definitely making this!

karin — June 3, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Blueberry sauce on salmon, i would have never thought of that, but it sounds delicious!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 3, 2011 @ 7:48 am

This salmon dish is so unique! I’d never think of putting blueberry sauce on salmon.

The Austin sauna will probably make you appreciate the northeast weather that much more. Right now, it’s mid 70s and gorgeous in NJ!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Jealous! I’ll be in NJ in 2 weeks though. :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — June 3, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Creativity at its finest!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 3, 2011 @ 8:00 am

What a unique flavor combo! Hope you don’t melt away!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 3, 2011 @ 8:09 am

YES! This is how salmon should be. Always. In my belly. Right now! :)

Cookbook Queen — June 3, 2011 @ 8:10 am

It was 97 here in Arkansas yesterday…and that’s not counting the humidity or anything :(. I feel your pain.

Blueberries in BBQ sauce is a fabulous idea! Love.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 3, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Ooooh I have an enormous weakness for salmon! I love how creative your sauce is! I have fig infused balsamic vinegar so I might try to make this with it!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

I love fig balsamic – seriously one of my favorites.

VeggieGirl — June 3, 2011 @ 8:23 am

Major hotness and humidity here in Ohio :( Hang in there!!

I need to give salmon another chance…

Erica — June 3, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Stay cool! So, I’m not a salmon fan (or really any fish in general)- how do you think this would be on chicken? Tell me!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

I bet it would be good!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — June 3, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Ohh – snap this sounds awesome!!!

Shannon — June 3, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I love this! I just made cedar plank salmon on the grill the other night for the first time this year and I can’t stop thinking about salmon now. It’s always great to add new ways to prepare it to the repertoire.

Gen — June 3, 2011 @ 8:42 am

So simple, but so delicious-looking!!!!!! I’m currently jealous of the fact that you have blueberries but we don’t in Brazil!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

You don’t have blueberries?!?!

• Gen — June 6th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Sadly enough, we do not……we have pretty much any other fruit and berry you can think of, but no blueberries. :(

brandi — June 3, 2011 @ 8:44 am

I love fruit + bbq mixtures. So tasty!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 3, 2011 @ 8:51 am

This salmon looks like a great excuse for blueberry sauce:-)

Sarah — June 3, 2011 @ 9:13 am

I just bought some salmon fillets from Costco and now I have the perfect recipe for them. Thank you!

Pixie — June 3, 2011 @ 9:16 am

Love it another use for blueberries. I always want to get them when they are on sale but can never think of anything to do with them than just eat them by themselves. Obviously I am not as creative as you!

Taryn — June 3, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Not gonna lie….this seems a little odd?

Gina @Running to the Kitchen — June 3, 2011 @ 9:22 am

this looks amazing! And I can attest that it is, b/c I literally made blueberry BBQ salmon last night! Granted mine was a bottled blueberry/BBQ sauce, but it was still great so I can’t imagine how good this one is :)

chelsea — June 3, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Wow, this looks ridiculously delicious! I am so making this sometime soon. Thanks!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — June 3, 2011 @ 9:30 am

I love salmon and the blueberry bbq sauce is a great idea! Can’t wait to try it! Enjoy Austin :)

Tine — June 3, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Mmm, grilled salmon. Tasty!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — June 3, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I love salmon and totally want to try this! Interesting to mix kethcup with the bluberries.. can’t wait to give this a try!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

I promise it tastes better than it sounds!

Char — June 3, 2011 @ 9:47 am

You totally just reminded me that I have blueberries waiting in my fridge! PS – meals looks awesome!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense — June 3, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Everyday I am inspired by your recipes and pictures Jessica. Beautiful!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

That is so kind. Thank you Lisa!!

jenna — June 3, 2011 @ 10:06 am

yummy…..two of my favorite foods in one dish!! amazing.

Salah@myhealthiestlife — June 3, 2011 @ 10:16 am

You are in Austin? I live in Austin! That salmon looks awesome!

Katrina — June 3, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Whoa! So creative. Neat recipe.

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — June 3, 2011 @ 10:31 am

The blueberry and BBQ sauce combo sounds very interesting. I may have to try it out! Your salmon looks delicious!

EatLiveRun — June 3, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Mmm that looks fabulous! Might have to throw it on the grill this weekend—we are always looking for more salmon recipes!

Taylor — June 3, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Yummy yum! Making this as soon as the boyfriend breaks out the grill!

Katie — June 3, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Um, I kinda hate salmon, but BBQ sauce….that’s a different story. I made some with mango a few weeks ago and nearly died. This is on the list.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — June 3, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Yum! And pretty healthy too! Aren’t salmon and blueberries supposed to keep you looking youthful?

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

Yes yes!

thehealthyapron — June 3, 2011 @ 10:50 am

oh owow ! I am always looking for new ways to cook salmon! Thanks for the inspiration!

dani — June 3, 2011 @ 11:38 am

this. looks. awesome.

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — June 3, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

You need to send a note to my husband and tell him that this is delicious and he should let me make some. He hates salmon :(

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

That’s no fun.

Ann Claire — June 3, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

This looks to delicious!! Blueberries on salmon? Genius!

Ann Claire — June 3, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

so*

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 3, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

the salmon looks amazing and with bloobs….love it!

and i am seeing your new site for the 1st time on my home computer screen, not my laptop from the road, and omg the pics look even better and more fabulous the size you made them now!

Tracy — June 3, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

I really love the sound of this and can’t wait to try it!!

linda — June 3, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Embrace that heat and humidity. It’s great for your skin! Those of us in Texas are glowing, not sweating. Of course, ice cream always helps.

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Hahaha I am embracing your attitude Linda! Thanks. :)

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo — June 3, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I think weather moves west to east and then south to north – if that’s the case you should be out of the heat tomorrow! The heat dropped from nearly 100 degrees to 60s over the last 2 days in DC!

Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters — June 3, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Oh my goodness. Blueberry and salmon seem like a great match. Thanks for the great recipe idea – I will definitely be trying it out! Also, horseradish on salmon really enhances the flavor. It makes the salmon turn almost sweet – you should try it out!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

I gotta try that!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 3, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

GAH I love fruit + fish…I thought I was the only one!!! I also made these blueberry turkey burgers once that were SO amazing! i love this!

• Jessica — June 3rd, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Those sound delicious!

Heather @ girlyeverafter — June 3, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Wait, potatoes alone aren’t dinner? That’s crap! My husband tells me that too and I proceed to pout in a corner somewhere, sigh. haha It’s hot in ATL too! I didn’t get the memo that summer arrived early!

I would have never came up with this combo on my own! awesome idea! I bet it is great!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: What I (wish) I ate Wednesday!! « the diva-dish

2. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | The Healthy Apron

3. Pingback: I’m a big kid now | healthycollegegirl

4. Pingback: Roasted Veggie Potato Salad « theflourishingfoodie

5. Pingback: No-Rise Grilled Flatbreads + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

6. Pingback: Ingredient Challenge Monday

7. Pingback: ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | ~Dixie Chik Cooks~ ICM – Blueberry Barbecue Chicken | A Southern Belle who thinks about what's for dinner while eating lunch.

8. Pingback: Blueberry BBQ Salmon + Endometriosis “Diet” | Prevention RD

9. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes

10. Pingback: Blueberry Barbecued Chicken | accidental intentions

11. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon « Spice Is Nice

13. Pingback: Overnight Oats Recipe | Overnight Blueberry Oats | Two Peas & Their Pod

14. Pingback: Friday Pin-Ups: Blueberry Hill | Crumb: A Food Blog

15. Pingback: Recipe of the Week: Grilled Blueberry Salmon | Bikram Yoga Vancouver

16. Pingback: Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon | Peonies and Pomegranates

17. Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus

18. Pingback: Paleo Meal: Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, and Roasted Asparagus | The Samsanator Cooks

19. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is