Last summer I fell in love with a million things.

Nude nail polish, avocado toast, baked beans on top of eggs and super long walks with lots of gossip to name just a few.

Oh and cold beer. A little late on that train, but…. better late than never.

By far, the cream of the crop was grilled corn. Best.thing.ever. Enamored. Have you tried this? Probably. I always seem to jump on the bandwagon just as everyone else is getting off. I’m totally a late bloomer. No, I’m not talking training bras – I’m talking about how I continued to wear denim overalls for about four years after they were out of style. How I got perms up until I was in seventh grade. How I wore purple silk shirts with paisley vests when I was 14. How I still have a hideous poncho hanging in my closet because it might come in handy someday. How I try to wear a cool linen scarf in summer with a white tank and look like a total dweeb.

Anywaaaaay. Too cool for school. That’s me.

Grilled corn is the bees knees. It gets charred and caramely and sweet and sugary and melts in your mouth like only buttery corn off the cob can. It took us about 16 weeks to learn how to properly grill it… but boy was it worth it. Last June we nearly grilled it bare and was left with corn that tasted like a delicious ashtray. In July we feared the grill grates and cooked it waaaay too long on waaaay too low heat and ended up with plain, boring corn on the cob. In August, we got things right for a hot minute and mastered the perfect bite: sweet bicolor corn with a few charred specks of caramel. Perfection.

It became a thing. A serious thing.

An addiction. A tradition. And it also became an excessive waste. I was buying a dozen ears for two of us and grilling all 12. We were in desperate need for a few grilled corn dishes other than the common treat of getting it stuck in between our teeth.

Sooo… I also grilled the tomatoes, which was in a word… awesome. Kind of messy, kind of not working, kind of having an end result of insanely fabulous. Simple meals make the best meals.

Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettuccine

serves 2-4

1 pound whole wheat fettucine

4 large ears of corn

3 vine tomatoes, cut in half

1 green pepper, seeded and sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup + 3-4 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat the grill on the highest setting. Remove most of the husk from each ear of corn and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. You can leave it in the husks, but I choose to wrap it in one layer of aluminum foil, leaving a bit loose so I can check to see if the corn is charring. Lay corn on the grill on direct heat and cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes before rotating – overall the corn usually takes us about 30 minutes for the char we like. After adding corn to the grill, slice tomatoes in half. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then lay on the grill cut side down. I do NOT seed or juice my tomatoes and love the end result, but as a warning, they will stick to the grill a bit. Cook for 5 minutes before rotating. Repeat the same (oiling, salt/pepper) with the green pepper and grill. That green pepper and tomatoes should take about 6-8 minutes to grill, but it is up to you and dependent on the level of char you like.

Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic. Add fettuccine to the bowl and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Once corn is finished, unwrap and let cool for a few minutes. When cool enough to touch, slice corn off the cob using a sharp knife. Slice grilled tomatoes into wedges. Add corn, tomatoes and green peppers to pasta. Top with additional parmesan cheese.

Summer rocks my world.

143 Responses to “Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettuccine.”

Yum Yucky — June 13, 2011 @ 6:59 am

It looks divine. Feed me. Please?

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 7:11 am

Oh how I wish I could!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 13, 2011 @ 7:01 am

Summer rocks my world too! I’m late to the grilled corn train, so don’t feel bad…. and I don’t look good in white tanks and scarves either…I just look…too hot. (as in sweaty.)

The Teenage Taste — June 13, 2011 @ 7:12 am

Oh, stop teasing me with all this summery food! I still have a week of school left until I am free for the summer! :-P

But seriously, tomatoes and corn just scream summer to me! I love it! :-D

Blog is the New Black — June 13, 2011 @ 7:12 am

Amazing pics and even better recipes. LOVE summer. Love YOU.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 7:20 am

You too! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 13, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Love that grilled corn. Jessica, we would love if you submitted this pasta to the side dish week of the Get Grillin’ event Cookin’ Canuck and I am hosting now :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 13, 2011 @ 7:25 am

It’s beautiful, Jessica!

I don’t have a grill. And don’t have a yard. Or a patio to grill on. But I can remember back to my childhood and grilled ears. The best!

Love your new pictures that are bigger and vertical shots, too!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — June 13, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Corn is the bees knees.. I’ve never had it grilled..and need to try it!

This recipe looks so perfect for a summer day! Very fresh and full of yummy veggies!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 13, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Ohhh, how this looks like the perfect summer dish!! Enjoy your time at the beach!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 13, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Lots of veggies in that dish — is the heat getting to you? :)

Seriously this looks amazing and I agree that it takes a while before you really know how to grill corn. I still have no clue, but thankfully we have friends and family who do know how, so we just ask them to make some when we come over.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 13, 2011 @ 7:42 am

i LOVE the color! grilled corn is probably one of my favorite things in the world…so sweet and smoky :)

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — June 13, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Paisley was the reason for my awkward stage. I feel ya!

I have never grilled corn and will hop on the cool train asap.

Erica — June 13, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Yes!Grilled corn totally rocks. I like it on the cob, but its totally awesome on top of salads or pasta dishes (like you’ve done). Yum yum. Nothing screams summer like corn on the cob!

Carly — June 13, 2011 @ 7:50 am

I made a recipe similar to that last summer that I saw in Cooking Light magazine – and it started off with two strips of bacon and sauteing the veggies in the rendered fat. Figured that is right up your alley ;) It didn’t call for grilled corn, but I did it anyway and it was FABULOUS!

mary (sisters running the kitchen) — June 13, 2011 @ 7:50 am

i fell in love with grilled corn a couple of summers ago. it’s so hard to go back to having any other kind of corn. I love how you put this in pasta!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 13, 2011 @ 7:53 am

This makes me so depressed that we don’t have a grill (much less any outdoor space in which to put one). Ah, city livin’. Anyhoo- the dish looks delish! Perfect summer pasta plate!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 13, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Grilled tomatoes? Looks like you are ahead of the curve now:-) I never would have thought to add grilled corn to pasta but this looks delicious!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 13, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Grilled corn is never out of season. But bell bottom jeans and bedazzled shirts are so gone…

Hope you’re enjoying some grilled corn on your beach getaway :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — June 13, 2011 @ 8:04 am

One of my favorite things about summer is all the grilled corn. Love this combination!

Amber — June 13, 2011 @ 8:10 am

We had grilled corn last night. My husband wrapped it in bacon and put it on the smoker. I’m pretty sure I could have eaten that until I was ill.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Umm… why wasn’t I eating dinner at your house?!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — June 13, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I looove summer pasta dishes and grilled corn is the bomb.com
    Also I am 100% sure I still rocked denim overalls until 8th grade and we’re the same age, so I’m right there with you sister.

Kelly — June 13, 2011 @ 8:28 am

This looks amazing! I have never tried grilled corn. I can’t wait to make some! You made me laugh because I also wore those overalls all through high school. CRINGE!!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

I know. Scary right?

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 13, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Love grilled corn! This is a yummy summer meal!

Courtney @ LivingABonaFideLife — June 13, 2011 @ 8:34 am

This looks delicious!!

Kim in MD — June 13, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I love, love, love grilled corn! The pasta looks so delicious…I am seriously drooling over it! :-)

Clare — June 13, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Oooh, grilled corn. How I love thee. PS those pictures look straight out of a magazine!

Shannon — June 13, 2011 @ 8:49 am

I love grilled corn! This dish looks so rustic yet summery! And just so you can feel a tiny bit better, I totally had a perm until 8th grade (just my bands — even worse) and were vests not cool in junior high?! I wore them over mens white tshirts. Woof. There are school pictures (with laser background nonetheless) documenting the outfit.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

OMG… I had those crazy backgrounds too.

Jenn from Much to My Delight — June 13, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Grilled corn RULES all! Especially when you slap some hot cilantro-jalapeno butter all over it. At certain points in the summer though, when the fresh corn is at its peak, I prefer it raw. There’s nothing like it!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

I love it with cilantro lime butter!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — June 13, 2011 @ 8:53 am

My roommate and I used to add corn to our fettucine pasta in college, but it was NOT this kind of beautiful grilled corn. It was more of a grab-a-canned-vegetable-and-throw-it-in-to-add-nutrients. Obviously we were very educated on all the nutrients of corn.

It’s been a few years now, and I’m more than ready to leave that in the past and graduate to this. Looks awesome!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 13, 2011 @ 9:00 am

grilled corn is definitely the best. I didn’t relaly discover it until last year either. Before that, I was still throwing cobs into boiling water. What a sad existence huh?

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

I know. I was doing the same!

MelissaNibbles — June 13, 2011 @ 9:01 am

This looks amazing! So summery.

Duchess of Fork — June 13, 2011 @ 9:02 am

My mom always makes a grilled veggie pasta in the summer, too! Mushrooms, eggplant, bell peppers, onions, zucchini…it’s all good.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

That sounds even better!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 13, 2011 @ 9:17 am

It doesn’t matter how massive my breakfast is, you always seem to make me hungry again. Here’s to summer! :)

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — June 13, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Sweet corn is the best! Too bad it takes ALL summer for the crop to reach New England :)

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Same here… we don’t get the really good stuff until late July.

DessertForTwo — June 13, 2011 @ 9:23 am

We are grilled corn addicts, too! Have you tried the grilled corn polenta from the latest Fine Cooking? You’ll love it :)

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

I haven’t… now I’m craving it!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — June 13, 2011 @ 9:30 am

I want to get my grill out! But it’s still early morning and that would just be strange. Delicious looking recipe Jessica!

Amy — June 13, 2011 @ 9:31 am

this looks delicious! my hubby loves tomatoes – but only uncooked – so maybe i could leave his raw in the dish and he would still love it…maybe. will def. have to try this!! thanks :)

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Oh you definitely could leave them raw… maybe cherry tomatoes??

Jen — June 13, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had corn in pasta before! This is a perfect meal to serve at summer barbecues.

Maria — June 13, 2011 @ 9:47 am

This post screams summer! Love it!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — June 13, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Grilled corn is the BEST in the summer!

Liz — June 13, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Looks so yummy and fresh! Thanks!

By the way, I went to lunch with my husband this weekend at a place called Nose Dive in Greenville, SC. They had a Chocolate Bacon Brownie with Honey Bourbon Ice Cream on the dessert menu…of course I thought of you!!

Have a good one!
    Liz

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

I NEED that!!

dana @ my little celebration — June 13, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Yum! This looks fantastic!!

Cookbook Queen — June 13, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Gorgeous!! SO colorful and fresh looking.

Aaannndd…I cannot pull off the scarf thing. I’ve tried and I just end up feeling like everyone is staring at me.

Brindi — June 13, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Oh, Jessica, I grew up on grilled corn and it is the bees knees. AMAZING! Can’t wait to try it out in this recipe. thanks!

Lisa — June 13, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Summer time is calling me!!!!!
    Take care,
    Lisa

Michelle — June 13, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This dish looks simply gorgeous! I love everything in it. Will try soon for sure.

Jessica, we trued your onion rings, and it was a disaster. I don’t know what we did wrong. Maybe my panko crumbs were stale, maybe I should have used olive oil instead of cooking spray – I just don’t know. We soaked the onions in buttermilk for 24 hours, and THEY tasted wonderful, but something defiantly went wrong in the coating process.
    Any suggestions?

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

Did you dip them in egg whites and use the panko + cornmeal + flour? And did you use a wire rack?? So sorry they didn’t turn out!

• Michelle — June 13th, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Yes, yes yes! Guess I’ll just have to try again. My breading mixture got too gooey. It didn’t coat evenly and they came out dry and too crunchy. (:

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — June 13, 2011 @ 10:25 am

grilling corn just went on my to-do list! =) ah-mazing!

Shanna, Like Banana — June 13, 2011 @ 10:29 am

This is so summery and perfect. I’d take a bowl for breakfast right now!

JoL - Amazon freak-a-zoid — June 13, 2011 @ 10:41 am

You are a GENIUS

We LOVE grilled corn, and grilled tomatoes, and grilled peppers – my latest affection is grilled pineapple (infatuated w it – I will even take it to work and eat it cold – I know!)

but had never thought of putting the corn and maters together – BRILLIANT!
    Now can’t wait to go the Farmer’s Market……

Karly — June 13, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I adore both grilled corn and grilled tomatoes. I grill the little cherry tomatoes in a grill basket all the time. So delish.

Ashley — June 13, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I think I need to make that this week. It looks like it tastes like summer.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

It is SO summer!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Women of the Grill | Move over, Celery!

2. Pingback: ESBS: Summer Vegetable Linguine | The Realistic Nutritionist

3. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: TCT = Two Cent Tuesday. « All I Eat Food!

5. Pingback: Grilled Corn with Bacon Butter and Cotija Cheese. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #84 – Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettucine « Ella Rose Entertaining

7. Pingback: Grilled Corn + Cheddar Quinoa | How Sweet It Is