Last summer I fell in love with a million things.

Nude nail polish, avocado toast, baked beans on top of eggs and super long walks with lots of gossip to name just a few.

Oh and cold beer. A little late on that train, but…. better late than never.

By far, the cream of the crop was grilled corn. Best.thing.ever. Enamored. Have you tried this? Probably. I always seem to jump on the bandwagon just as everyone else is getting off. I’m totally a late bloomer. No, I’m not talking training bras – I’m talking about how I continued to wear denim overalls for about four years after they were out of style. How I got perms up until I was in seventh grade. How I wore purple silk shirts with paisley vests when I was 14. How I still have a hideous poncho hanging in my closet because it might come in handy someday. How I try to wear a cool linen scarf in summer with a white tank and look like a total dweeb.

Anywaaaaay. Too cool for school. That’s me.

Grilled corn is the bees knees. It gets charred and caramely and sweet and sugary and melts in your mouth like only buttery corn off the cob can. It took us about 16 weeks to learn how to properly grill it… but boy was it worth it. Last June we nearly grilled it bare and was left with corn that tasted like a delicious ashtray. In July we feared the grill grates and cooked it waaaay too long on waaaay too low heat and ended up with plain, boring corn on the cob. In August, we got things right for a hot minute and mastered the perfect bite: sweet bicolor corn with a few charred specks of caramel. Perfection.

It became a thing. A serious thing.

An addiction. A tradition. And it also became an excessive waste. I was buying a dozen ears for two of us and grilling all 12. We were in desperate need for a few grilled corn dishes other than the common treat of getting it stuck in between our teeth.

Sooo… I also grilled the tomatoes, which was in a word… awesome. Kind of messy, kind of not working, kind of having an end result of insanely fabulous. Simple meals make the best meals.

Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettuccine

serves 2-4

1 pound whole wheat fettucine

4 large ears of corn

3 vine tomatoes, cut in half

1 green pepper, seeded and sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup + 3-4 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat the grill on the highest setting. Remove most of the husk from each ear of corn and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. You can leave it in the husks, but I choose to wrap it in one layer of aluminum foil, leaving a bit loose so I can check to see if the corn is charring. Lay corn on the grill on direct heat and cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes before rotating – overall the corn usually takes us about 30 minutes for the char we like. After adding corn to the grill, slice tomatoes in half. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then lay on the grill cut side down. I do NOT seed or juice my tomatoes and love the end result, but as a warning, they will stick to the grill a bit. Cook for 5 minutes before rotating. Repeat the same (oiling, salt/pepper) with the green pepper and grill. That green pepper and tomatoes should take about 6-8 minutes to grill, but it is up to you and dependent on the level of char you like.

Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic. Add fettuccine to the bowl and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Once corn is finished, unwrap and let cool for a few minutes. When cool enough to touch, slice corn off the cob using a sharp knife. Slice grilled tomatoes into wedges. Add corn, tomatoes and green peppers to pasta. Top with additional parmesan cheese.

Summer rocks my world.

143 Responses to “Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettuccine.”

Erin — June 13, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I love simple food! This looks so yummy!! I am definitely making this, soon.

Kim - Liv Life — June 13, 2011 @ 10:58 am

OMG!!! This dish has it all. Grilled corn is indeed the bees knees… I love it! I buy double the amount of corn I think I’ll use every week at the Farmers Market and all of it gets grilled. This dish will be up soon! Love it!

• Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com — June 13th, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Ha ha, me too! I can eat 2 myself ;-)
      I have a recipe posted for grilled corn with lime and basil. I’m hooked on it!

Ashley — June 13, 2011 @ 11:05 am

That pasta is pure perfection, as is grilled corn. I absolutely LOVE it. I also love cutting little chunks off of it, like you have in the pasta. Nothing better than a big bite of grilled corn! The little corn plate is adorable as well, hehe. :)

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — June 13, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Light, fresh, and summery. Plus it includes corn, my favorite!

Lovely photography as usual :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — June 13, 2011 @ 11:18 am

This looks absolutely fabulous! Maybe I’ll try grilling? I’m terrified of it…I always make Lee do it!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 13, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I love grilled corn! I can eat it every day :)

Shugary Sweet — June 13, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I love grilled corn, with BBQ ribs. Talk about a meal that sticks with you (in your teeth)! That pasta looks divine. Yum, thanks for sharing
    Aimee

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

I am craving that entire meal now!

Chessa — June 13, 2011 @ 11:30 am

A little off the topic of corn and tomato pasta (which looks delicious, btw…but I saw this and it made me think of you. Yes, I know…very strange since we’re strangers, but whatever. Anyway, apparently if you add ‘http://bacolicio.us//’ to the beginning of any web address it will add a giant piece of bacon to the website you’re browsing. Which is a completely useless trick, I admit, albeit hilarious. But enough talk – let’s try it out, shall we?

Now you have bacon on every recipe. Enjoy!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Hahaha I love this.

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 13, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

You had me at the picture of the grilled corn!

kacey@ om&nom — June 13, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

love, love, love grilled corn…especially when i’ve just picked the ears from my grandpa’s garden!

Christina — June 13, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

This just screams summer! I’ve already emailed this recipe to mom and we’re gonne make it tonight. :)

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Hope you love it!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — June 13, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Grilled corn has to be one of my favorite things about summer… now if this June gloom would clear on up that’d be great, thanks. ;)

Katrina — June 13, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Mmm grilled corn truly is the bees knees. This pasta sounds perfect. Love it!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio — June 13, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Wowzers! What an amazing dinner!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — June 13, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

I guess it’s been a while since I visited your site so I don’t know how long it’s been since you got the new look! I love it and bet you do too – it really looks great. This recipe also looks great and it really speaks to me. I LOVE grilled corn – or any corn recipe for that matter. Thanks and congratulations on the upgrade.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Thanks Tricia!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — June 13, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Grilled corn salad is like the absolute best. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE charred corn. Putting it in pasta is even better!

melissa@IWasBornToCook — June 13, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Yeah, grilled corn is pretty damn good.

Tichina — June 13, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

You had me at “grilled” haha everything tastes better that way! Yayy for summer <3

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — June 13, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I. Need. This. Meal. Looks sooo delicious, and now I’m hungry again despite having just eaten lunch.. Perhaps tonight’s din? Hope you’re enjoying the beach!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — June 13, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

This looks awesome! I love grilled corn and when a meal can be made on the BBQ without heating up the house! We have a burner on the one side of our barbecue, so even the pasta could be made outside! I can’t wait to give this recipe a try.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

That is so cool!

janetha @ meals & moves — June 13, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

This may be one of the most beautiful dishes you’ve ever made! I love all the colors and I bet it tasted awesome.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

Thanks Janetha!

Mellie — June 13, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Yum! This looks DIVINE!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — June 13, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Um…. hello! YUM!

Julie (Bananas for Bourbon) — June 13, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I have a great trick for grilling corn. I start off throwing the corn still in their husks on the grill. Over medium heat the husks get all burned and gives the corn an awesome smokey flavor. Then when they’re mostly cooked, I pull off the husks and let the kernel caramelize. So delicious!

Two grilled corn dish suggestions – 1. Grilled corn chowder. It’s unreal. Smokey soup? Yeah, it’s as delicious as it sounds. 2. Grilled corn pesto! I blended up the kernels with almonds, parsley, parm, just like a pesto. It’s so sweet and creamy and just the best condiment/sauce ever! I’ve got both recipes on my blog: http://www.bananasforbourbon.blogspot.com. Just look under the “grilled” label.

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

Thank you Julie! YUM!

Skinny Fat Kid — June 13, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Love light pasta side dishes! I’m not a huge fan of bell peppers…thinking I could sub in some zucchini though!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I think zucchini would be great in here!

jane @ The Borrowed Abode — June 13, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Holy cow, this looks absolutely delish! Filing this one under “must make ASAP.”:)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — June 13, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

This sounds freaking amazing. Will be making this – count on that!! :)

Jessica — June 13, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

This sounds great! I recently got some Himalayan pink salt and organic peppercorns from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I’ll have to try them out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Amelia — June 13, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Is it weird that I feel like I can smell this dish from my computer screen? ;) I must be hungry! It looks pretty tasty. I bet it would be delicious both hot or cold…and maybe some local shrimp on top!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I had some cold and it was delish!

Marcia — June 13, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

So simple yet so divine. Now I’m craving it. Yum!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — June 13, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

That salad looks delicious. I’ll definitely have to try that out in the near future. I LOVE grilled corn on the cob too! It’s the best way to have it. :)

Lauren — June 13, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Jessica, I can sit in silence no longer. I am coming clean to tell you that I am OBSESSED with your blog but I feel terrible because I never comment. You have quite a knack for creating the most amazing recipes and I love seeing what you come up with every single day. :) Thank you for always sharing your wonderful sense of taste and great personality with us all. :)

Dana — June 13, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

I don’t think I’m physically capable of consuming pasta without cream sauce. I’ll definitely be adding a little splash of it when I try this!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — June 13, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Oh my GOSH that looks delicious!

Naomi@onefitfoodie — June 13, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

Oh my gosh love this! my dad would fall in LOVe with this dish! he loves grilled corn! and in pasta with fresh parm and olive oil sounds so rustic and fantastic!

Casey — June 13, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

so…healthy. I’m lost, it actually looks delicious! What is happening to me??

Casey — June 13, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

I know I just commented, but I just came across this- I do believe you need to see this concoction http://whathavewegothere.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/oh-yeah/

Cait @ UrbanFencepost — June 13, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

Holy Cats! That looks so simple and delicious! I’m originally from Iowa and Iowan’s REALLY like corn. Nothing better in the summertime. This is definitely on my to-make list!

Beth — June 13, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

I love summer so hard, this is absolutely PERFECT summer food, wow! What a great recipe.

Brittanie — June 13, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Goodness, gracious … I’m whipping this up ASAP! Looks delish!

Cookin' Canuck — June 14, 2011 @ 12:08 am

What a fantastic pasta dish! The grilled corn would add such a nice depth of flavor. I’d love if you’d consider entering this into the Get Grillin’ & summer bbq event I’m hosting right now (it’s side dish week).

Erin — June 14, 2011 @ 4:47 am

You make the best looking dishes! I am envious of your ability to cook!

xx

Ann — June 14, 2011 @ 8:45 am

Looks amazing! The pics are beautiful and I love the idea for your fettuccini & corn!

Amanda — June 14, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Look at all those neat overhead shots! You are growing SO much as a photographer… soon you will need your own photography blog! :) I love this recipe and cant wait to try it!

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 14, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I’m not entirely sure that corn would ever make it to the pasta dish for us. I can see us just eating ear after ear after ear right off the grill! :)

Katie@Cozydelicious — June 14, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

I love corn and I love pasta – why have I never put them together! Grilled corn with fettucine sounds so yummy. I make a grilled corn and tomato salad often, but this is even better.

Michelle — June 16, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

Will most definitely be trying this by the end of summer. Bring on the fresh corn and tomatoes!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 16, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Mmmm, I have never made pasta with corn in it, but it sounds good!

JoL - Amazon freak-a-zoid — June 17, 2011 @ 10:41 am

made this last night – sublimely delicious, as expected!

hubs substituted poblano pepper for the bell – it was his choice on peppers, as neither one tend to agree with my gut – I snuck a few *tiny* pieces of the poblano, tho, and it totally works if you’re in to that kind of thing

Rachel — June 17, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Wow, I haven’t had corn yet this season, but it’s most definitely one of my favorite summer veggies to add into every dish. I add it into my pasta primavera, salads, salsas, and even eat it right off the cob. Thanks for making me smile and remind me summer is oh so close I can taste it : )