So… this whole sprinkles thing.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

It’s kind of getting annoying, right? Look at me! I’m obsessed with sprinkles! Wah wah wah. I need attention.   Yeah. Not cool. I may as well just slap on some glitter eyeshadow and tease my hair. But in reality, I’m so obsessed with sprinkles because now that I’m in my mid-to-late (read: really late) 20s, it’s not so appropriate for me to be walking around sporting the newest shade of Urban Decay and blinding folks with glistening flecks from my lids.   Um… what would you rather have? Me wearing loose sparkles on my eyes or a compulsion to bake you colorful vanilla cakes?

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So sprinkles it is. Everyone needs a vice.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

They are sort of like trashy gossip tabloids. Or the new, freakishly awkward version of 90210. Or chocolate covered bacon. Or skinny jeans.   I really have no business dealing with any of the above but I die a little inside when I don’t get what I want. I’m okay with being a walking celeb stalker, wearing pants that make me look like a stuffed sausage and knowing the exact story line on every tween drama.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

And making homemade funfetti cupcakes. I’m okay with that too. Funfetti cupcakes were always an obsession in our house growing up. Heck, they still are. Sometimes I still buy the boxed version. Yes I do. But I’ve also been making them from scratch for a loooooong time and really didn’t think you had any interest considering they are… hello… a vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Simple. Yummy. Easy. Lovable.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Don’t mind my crumbs. I’m messy.   So if you feel like creaming some butter and scooping some flour, you’re in for a treat. My favorite part? Different sprinkles. Wowza. Sometimes I use the regular old things – you may refer to them as jmmies, but I just can’t get behind that. Other times I use the nonpareils, which I love because they have super bright, fun colors. If you haven’t noticed, I like bright colors. And sprinkles. And glitter. And bacon. Okay I’m done.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Vanilla Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

If you come vacuum the trillions of sprinkles off my floors, I’ll love you forever.

409 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 1, 2011 @ 9:22 am

AH SO PRETTY! (is it me or did you change your layout?!?) I LOOOOVE IT!!!!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit — June 1, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Icing just as thick as the cupcake…the way I like it :)

Candice — June 1, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Soooo, yeah. These are my husband’s FAVORITE cupcakes/cake but I never make them because I refuse to use a box mix (TOO much sugar and fake stuff, yech)… and it never occurred to me that it’d be this easy to make them from scratch. How dumb do I feel now?? LOL I cannot wait to make these and surprise him with them.

j's Kitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 9:41 am

I was just looking yesterday, for a yummy vanilla cupcake to make that my 3yr old would love, and this is it!
    I am making this today!

Erin — June 1, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Urban Decay makes such amazingly colorful eyeshadows! I refrain from the super sparkly ones though. But I too need to release my sprinkle obsession through Funfetti (have you seen the post I did rounding up all the Funfetti recipes around the web? P.S. This one is getting added). And yes I actually have a box or two in my cupboard at this very moment.

Sarah — June 1, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I feel stupid after years of buying funfetti boxed version, and wondering all the time “how do they get the color swirls?” I saw some funfetti cupcakes you made last week and knew that you made them from scratch again wondering “how do they get the color swirls?”. Now I know the secret SPRINKLES, and definitely will attempt making them from scratch. Thank you!

The Fine Balance — June 1, 2011 @ 9:59 am

uhmmm these cupcakes look DELISH! I want funfetti cupcakes…treat for sure for after my competition and for my Brunch that I will be hosting the day after :)

Shanna, like Banana — June 1, 2011 @ 10:01 am

I think more foods should have the word “fun” in them. Like funizza (fun pizza) and funoccoli (fun broccoli) and funocolate (fun chocolate). It just makes things better.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — June 1, 2011 @ 10:10 am

You can’t go wrong with funfetti anything!!!

pearlharbor — June 1, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I love that you love sprinkles! I never realized how fun they are until I read your blog, so the other day I bought some and they make me excited every time I see them in the kitchen, and I haven’t even made anything with them yet! I saw this post and it made me think of you:
    I think you might like this recipe! I’m going to make it one of these days.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

I’ve seen this before! I want to make it too.

brandi — June 1, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I have these exact sprinkles, waiting at home, just for this purpose. It was meant to be! :)

And I will vacuum if you pay me in cupcakes, brownies, tacos, and margaritas. In that order.

Alaina — June 1, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Yeah funfetti!! My friend is a huge fan of these cupcakes; I should make them for her. :-)

thehealthyapron — June 1, 2011 @ 10:25 am

haha yep. Just the right amount of frosting to cake ratio :)

• amyfaith32 — June 1st, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Precisely my thoughts… :) I don’t even typically waste my time on vanilla desserts- but I’m pretty sure I’m going to spend the rest of the afternoon wiping drool off of my keyboard.

Selene — June 1, 2011 @ 10:40 am

We ADORE sprinkles at our house! I am just about to buy some today. Can’t get enough! Come on, something that simple that makes my kids smile that BIG and they’re only $1? Please!! Love the recipe – it’s on my list for today!

Allison — June 1, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Those cupcakes look beautiful. Too beautiful to eat (but not quite b/c they look delicious too)! Love the new layout. Very clean-lined and easy-on-the-eyes.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Thank you!!

Red Deception — June 1, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Why not do both?! I love some Urban Decay sparkly shadow AND overly sprinkled cupcakes! Best of both worlds, I think.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — June 1, 2011 @ 10:51 am

the last picture, funfetti-6 you call it.

omg.

i SAW that pic in your weekend roundup, the very 1st post you made with your new site, and i KNEW that was a new photo and i even COMMENTED on the teeth marks.

and omg. I want that Vanilla Buttercream like you wouldnt believe. That is heaven for me, right there.

And on the opening pic w/ the sprinkles, i can totally tell the photos are bigger b/c I can see the detail even better. I want bigger pics, too!

dani — June 1, 2011 @ 11:02 am

love the last picture, looks SO good.

Amy — June 1, 2011 @ 11:14 am

I love the little touch of only putting the sprinkles on one side! Going to start doing that now…looks more “fancy”! :)

my little celebration — June 1, 2011 @ 11:17 am

GORGEOUS! And I love the new design! Bravo!

Jimmi — June 1, 2011 @ 11:19 am

(late) 30’s…rocking the latest UD shadow shades…all day ;)

yummy cupcakes and so pretty, too!

jess — June 1, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Do you use the clear vanilla to keep the frosting so white? or just the regular vanilla extract? These look INCREDIBLE!

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I use regular! Somehow it still stays white… maybe just from the powdered sugar?

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 11:32 am

I will eat those crumbs! I LOVE to see that fosting piled high!! Yumm

janetha @ meals & moves — June 1, 2011 @ 11:38 am

These look sooo much better than the boxed version! Good work, lady.

Carissa — June 1, 2011 @ 11:41 am

These are one of my friends’ favorite sprinkles. We used them to cover cake pops in my living room last week and I’m still sweeping up the mess. I keep finding little colored balls in crevices & amongst the cushions.

I love your cupcake to icing ratio. It’s perfect. I hate when cupcakes have too little icing!

Jessica — June 1, 2011 @ 11:44 am

These look absolutely delish… as always!

Jordana R — June 1, 2011 @ 11:47 am

My kids are going to be so excited to make these!! YUMM
    The most simple things are sometimes the best!

Torrie @ a place to share... — June 1, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Perfection. Serious PERFECTION.

(can’t wait to make ‘em) =)

Karly — June 1, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Nothing wrong with having a little obsession with sprinkles. Sprinkles make everything better.

The Brown-Eyed Girl — June 1, 2011 @ 11:49 am

The thickness of that frosting is so enticing. These look delicious.

Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — June 1, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Yum, I could sure go for one of those right now! I love your new site design!

Erin — June 1, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Funfetti is my secret obsession. I bake people all kinds of fancy cakes, but for my birthday it is always funfetti!! I will have to try this recipe ASAP.

Sarah — June 1, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Um…this is freakin phenomenal! It reminds me of the momofuku birthday cake truffles, which you MUST try when you visit NYC! And I love a gal who isn’t all about kale and watermelon…give me the CAKE!

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 1, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Oh my gosh! My husband would love me a thousand times over if I made him sprinkle cupcakes! He’s like you – loooooooooooooves sprinkles. Won’t eat vanilla ice cream without them. Like a kid… But that’s okay. I will make him these for his birthday and I know he will love me more and then he’ll give me a massage. I hope. :)

Arbine — June 1, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Found my baking project for next week. I’m nearly 30 and I still LOVE sprinkles! I’m instantly drawn to any dessert adorned with them. It’s like they have this weird gravitational pull over me. Yes, I know. Gravity does not actually work that way.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Me too!!

Alli — June 1, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

oh my goodness. I want to put pigtails in my hair, short terry shorts, sit in the sunshine and have one of these! I am giddy with the pictures. Since I am WAY too old for that I may have to dress up my daughter, make these and pack a picnic and hit the park. Thanks for making my day a bit sweeter.

Paige (running around normal) — June 1, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

But your obsession with sprinkles makes me feel not so alone in the world! ;)
    No really though, those look fantastic.

Natalia - a side of simple — June 1, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

Icing > Cake. Way to represent :)

Kerry — June 1, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

That last picture makes me want to throw my diet in the trash can. For reals.

Amanda — June 1, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

FINALLY!!!!
    love this. times, like, one million and thirty two.

Janelle — June 1, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

It’s my birthday on Saturday, and these would be perfect! Sending the link to my hubby…

(Oh, and I love the new look too!!!)

Larisa — June 1, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

These are fabulous! I also love sprinkles. We are headed to Hilton Head next week and I was trying to find some fun cupcakes to make…..these are it! Thanks for posting!!! :) Love the new look of your site by the way.

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Thanks Larisa!

Gen — June 1, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

CUTE!!!!!!! I love these! :D

CABarbieQ — June 1, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

I’m sorry to disagree with you, but you’re never too old for sparkles, sprinkles or Urban Decay – as long as it is done tastefully – I’m a mom of two teenagers and scratching my way into my mid 40’s. I don’t dress or look like my mom did at my age, but I don’t dress like my girls either. Tastefull just like these beautiful cupcakes!!! YUMMY… Thank you for posting….

Jessica @ Bake a Little — June 1, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

All of your creations always look so pretty! Wish I had your artistic skill!

Danielle @ InDeesKitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Yay! You saved the day – I have 2 containers of homemade icing that I need to use up somehow… umm, aside from just eating it straight out the fridge… do you do that, too? tell me i’m not the only one.

Danielle @ InDeesKitchen — June 1, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Also love the new blog layout! Very spiffy!

• Jessica — June 2nd, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

Thanks!

Joanne @ mostlyfitmom — June 1, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

I swear I can smell these through my computer screen…I now have a major cupcake craving.

And I’m 35 and have serious love for sparkly Urban Decay shadows. Please don’t destroy the fantasy I have that it’s age-appropriate. :)

natalie — June 1, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

I JUST LOVE YOU! I share your obsession

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — June 1, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

“So if you feel like creaming some butter”

DO I……

I’m immature.

1. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes « Bacon Beasts

2. Pingback: The Culinary Couple » Weekend in Photos

3. Pingback: Brown Butter Funfetti Sugar Cookies Recipe | the little kitchen

4. Pingback: Happy 4th Of July! | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | Kay's Sweet Obsessions

6. Pingback: Breast Cancer Awareness Cupcakes | Kay's Sweet Obsessions

7. Pingback: Confetti Cupcakes: I’m back! « whatabbiebaked

8. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | The Spiffy Cookie

9. Pingback: Nothing Tastes As Good As Skinny Feels: Agree or Disagree?

10. Pingback: 20. « The Refrigerator Diary

11. Pingback: Cookies for dinner « Skinny Chick Blog

12. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting | The Cookin' Chemist

13. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes and Homemade Stained Glass Candy | cupcakes and showtunes

14. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes for my Blogaversary and a Giveaway!

15. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

16. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes (kinda) | internet charlotte

17. Pingback: Healthy Dessert Ideas | Budget Earth

18. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | WorldFoodRecipes.com

19. Pingback: uDoughpia » The Strawberry Cake Experiment. A very pink post.

20. Pingback: WIAW: Birthday Celebration! and Icing tip | Health Foragers

21. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | All Time Hungry

22. Pingback: the great funfetti fiasco | always an adventure

23. Pingback: Summer Runnin’, happened so fast .. | Envierose

24. Pingback: funfetti cupcakes with vanilla buttercream | foodyventures

25. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes with Cotton Candy Frosting | Pixie Dust Kitchen

26. Pingback: Bryant’s First Birthday Party! | wee creatures

27. Pingback: Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting | A Hint of HoneyA Hint of Honey

28. Pingback: Recipes With Sprinkles - Love From The Oven

29. Pingback: Rainbow Sprinkle Cupcakes (All I Need is Puppies) | Inside My Head

30. Pingback: Funfetti Cupcakes | thepolkadotcat

31. Pingback: Four Friday Finds

32. Pingback: putting the fun in funfetti – trader joes, nike tempos & reality shows –

33. Pingback: Funfetti cake | flower crowns & candy

34. Pingback: On Birthdays, Movies, & Delicious Pizza | Erin Wiggle

35. Pingback: On Frosting [vanilla buttercream] | a glass of milk

36. Pingback: Summer runnin’, happened so fast ..

37. Pingback: Owen's First Birthday Safari Party! ⋆ Slim Pickin's Kitchen

38. Pingback: Confetti Cake Recipes That Guarantee A Party In Your Mouth | Gymrat Fitness

39. Pingback: A Minion Army o’ Cupcakes | A to Z