This is Winnie.

Isn’t she cute? She is only 6 years old. This was taken on Memorial Day.

I always hated dogs. I’m pretty sure I had some terrible experiences with gigantic, 400-pound black German Shepherds when I was younger with sharp teeth and snarling growls. I can also be completely, utterly, ridiculously unrealistic so please ignore me. Anyway, when my brother Will was 13, my parents surprised him with a puppy. He had wanted one for as long as we all could remember. He was so happy that he cried. I cried too. Mainly because I was so horrified that I would have to share a certain amount of square footage with something that has fur and lots of drool. I was not happy.

But when Abby came she was just so cute and I loved her adorable chubby rolls of doggy skin and fur. When Abby turned 5, my dad and Will surprised my mom with a new puppy, Winnie, on Valentine’s day. I think my mom was ready to lose her mind: twice the fur + twice the craziness. But Winnie was super cute and fit right in – she rejuvenated Abby too! Well really… Winnie never got out of her puppy stage. She has eaten entire pans of 7-layer bars, rocks, and garbage without blinking an eye. I always say she has led the “hard” life. Also, for the first 5 years, anytime she would see a man walking she’d run up to him, lay down on her back, and spread all fours. Yeah. Take that as you will.

Abby passed away 2 years ago, only a week before Mother Lovett died. That wasn’t the best week. But Abby was older and we somewhat expected it as she had slowed down a lot. She actually passed away at home; we believe her stomach flipped just like in Marley and Me. Winnie seemed a little lost at first, but she had always been an attention hog so it wasn’t a big deal.

Now… Winnie started having seizures on Tuesday night. Big ones. She spent the night in the vet hospital and continued to have seizures yesterday. She is on anti-seizure meds but still is not herself. At times it is kind of funny because she looks like she is drunk. But it is also really sad. Apparently, seizures are very common in dogs – BUT they are not common once dogs mature. Considering Winnie never had anything wrong with her, these seizures most likely mean that something is not right – something in the brain is not right. I’m trying to be cautiously optimistic, but feel so bad for Winnie. She is still such a young pup (ok, 42 in dog years or whatever) and she still seems generally happy. I also can’t imagine ever having to put a dog down since we didn’t need to do so with Abby. Plus, this is a jillion times more complicated than it normally would be as we supposed to leave for the beach on Sunday. Growing up stinks.

Anywho… that’s my story. I don’t really love dogs and if you ever brought your dog near me, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t want to pet it. But I really loved Abby and I really love Winnie! So can you say a puppy prayer for Winnie? She’d totally lick you face right now if she could.

151 Responses to “Puppy Prayers.”

AJ — June 10, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Thoughts and prayers from our furries to your furry. =(
    They really are sort of like babies – they can’t tell you what’s wrong and you don’t know how to help them.

megabrooke — June 10, 2011 @ 9:33 am

aww. lots and lots of puppy prayers.

Jessica H — June 10, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Our golden retriever had seizures all her life, sending puppy prayers your way.

Cindy — June 10, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Thoughts and prayers go out to you, the family, and sweet Winnie…

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me — June 10, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I absolutely love dogs and this post actually brought a tear to my eye (I’m a little over-sensitive today I guess). When I watched Marley and Me I legit sobbed (so apparently I’m just over-sensitive in general). My fiance had a ginormous wet spot on his shirt where I had leaned on his shoulder.

Sue — June 10, 2011 @ 10:25 am

So sorry… last year I lost my little dude, Rudy. He had seizures his whole little short life (he was 6 when he died). He had a mass in his stomach we didn’t even know about. I hope whatever it is ends up ok…it’s hard to watch them fail. I also just lost my cat of 17 years a month ago. She was old, but that didn’t mean it was less hard. Hang in there! I’m sending happy puppy thoughts to all of you, and snuggles to Winnie.

Mellissa — June 10, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Sending lots of prayers. I had a dog emergency this week too and it is so painful!

Andrea — June 10, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Plenty of puppy prayers pawing their way to you!

Sandy — June 10, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Last year my 12 yr. old little 2 lb teacup poodle, Tar Baby, slipped off our leather sofa and struck her head on the tile. My husband Tom screamed and I ran in to find him breathing in her mouth and crying. We both prayed and by some miracle she started breathing and recovered. We were so happy. Three days later I came home from work and found my 51 year old Tom unconcious on the floor and he died soon after. Tar Baby was licking his face and trying to wake him up. God works in mysterious way. I will say a prayer for Winnie.

• Danielle — July 7th, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Oh my goodness. This is so sad. My heart is with you…

• Whitney — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:06 am

Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes sitting at my desk at work. I am so sorry for your loss, and hope that Tar Baby is still happy and healthy and keeping you company.

Also, sorry for the loss of Winnie. They really do become members of your family.

Shugary Sweet — June 10, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Awww, my puppy’s are wishing your puppy a speedy recovery! I’ve always had a dog, usually 2. I’m not really a “sit down and play with my dogs” kind of person, or even one to “talk puppy talk” or even “brag about my dogs.” But, there is a mutual love, respect and loyalty between me and my two dogs. That and they make the best darn Hoovers with 4 kids in the house!
    Aimee

Jamie — June 10, 2011 @ 11:52 am

Poor Winnie, my boys(pups) and I will definitely keep her and you in our prayers! Warm wishes and lots of licks. Jamie, Charlie, and Riley

amy — June 10, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Please know that I understand.. these fuzzy, furry friends get into our heart.. and we LOVE them! Simple as that.. I have a little furry one that is named Lucy.. sometimes I tell her she is the only dog I ever loved..don’t tell my kids about that..but it is true.. she has been with us through horrible accidents.. my cancer.. she has licked tears and babysat me..

Yep.. I get it.. and I will pray. God made all these pets.. He knows.
    Amy

'BB Rabozza — June 10, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

I do love dogs and I am praying for Winnie, poor baby.

Ann — June 10, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Puppy prayers being said – I’m glad you have great memories and I wish you & Winnie strength for whatever comes….

Cyndi — June 10, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

My puppy prayers are with you! Our family dog also eats anything in sight, and has never grown out of her puppy stage either, so I can relate. We love her just the same.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — June 10, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

I am a total dog person (we had 3 dogs over the years when I was a kid and now I have my own dog now) and I completely understand the love for those adorable furry friends. I will keep Winnie, you and your family in my thoughts.

Erin — June 10, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I am a dog lover, and my heart goes out to you and Winnie.

Kayre — June 10, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

I totally believe in the healing power of prayer for both two and four-legged people. I have said prayers for Winnie and your family. Kajun Hugs for all of you…with a few extra for Winnie and a tummy scratch, too!

Kelly — June 10, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Definitely praying for Winnie. I am a dog LOVER (can’t understand people who aren’t, but we’ll let it slide). Losing a dog is heartbreaking. We have an almost 2 yr old lab and I can’t even think about losing her. You and Winnie are in my thoughts and prayers – hoping for the best!

Gina (Yogattude) — June 10, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Aw, this is so sad:( Best fo luck to Winnie and hoping for a furry comeback!

Jenn@The Leftover Queen — June 10, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Winnie is definitely in my prayers! She looks like such a sweetie!

Kourtney — June 10, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

That’s awful! Puppy prayers definitely coming Winnie’s way (on a side note, this story/request especially touched my heart today, as my grandmother, also named Winnie, passed away a few months ago and she was a HUGE dog lover). If it makes you feel any better, my 14 year old black lab started having seizures last year, but it was just due to extremely low blood sugar and the onset of doggie vertigo. Now she’s fine and almost 15! Hope Winnie gets better soon!

Miss Martina — June 10, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I DO love dogs and I SO have you and your little darling in my thoughts and prayers. MM-

Lindsay — June 10, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Ah!! I’m sending every Puppy Prayer I can muster to you, your family, and Winnie! I’ve had Goldens my whole life and when my Lucy died 2 years ago I legitimately didn’t do anything but lay in bed for daayyys, she was there one day and then she was gone (story sounding very similar to Abby)! We have since gotten another golden, but he’s a boy, and well, I like to refer to him as the little brother I never wanted, he’s annoying and insists on sitting/laying directly on top of your feet when your in the kitchen cooking, but I couldn’t imagine the house without him! I’m sure Winnie will be a-ok, but know that me and my pup Scuppers are thinking of you guys!

Valerie — June 10, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

how awful! i’m so sorry you’re going through this. prayer said for winnie.

i put my 14 year old dog down about a year and a half ago, and i still have yet to get over it.

Moni'sMeals — June 10, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

awwwwww. :)

Kelly — June 10, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Look at that face. Sweet girl! Lots of puppy prayers for Winnie.

Jen @ Little-Crumbs — June 10, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

puppy prayers submitted! I’m not really into dogs either, but there are those few that are too cute to resist…

Ally Lynn — June 10, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

My heart is breaking for you. We have a 6 year old dog as well, we got her three years. I love her SO MUCH and I can’t imagine her going anytime soon. I wouldn’t go to the beach. Big prayers coming your way!

Amanda — June 10, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

Its so sad when our “furry family” get sick or are not well. They spend their time with us trying to please us and make us happy and then when they don’t feel good or something is wrong they can’t tell us so we can’t make them happy and healthy as easily…its hard.

My “son” Jack and I will pray for Winnie…and your family…strength and hope in this time of uncertainty. <3

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 10, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Oh nooooo! This makes me so sad. :( Lot sof kisses for Winnie bear. xoxo

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — June 10, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Definitely praying. Hope everything turns out fine…

Mimi — June 11, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Golden Puppy Prayers to you and you Winnnie from us and our Golden boy Lucky. Having lived with Goldens all my I know that they give nothing but love and expect onnly a scritch and rub in return. May she recover soon to romp with her ball again.

Alecia — June 12, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Of course a golden retriever made you a dog lover! Something very special about them! Prayers going out to Winnie, hoping for a speedy recovery!

Laura — June 13, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Been praying- I know how hard it is to go through stuff like this with your pooch. Praying for Winnie and for you!

Lori — June 13, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Sending up lots of prayers for Winnie! I just lost my dog in April. Hoping you won’t have to deal with that any time soon. xo

Courtney — June 13, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

My jack russell, Riley, was just shy of 6 (2 years ago) when she started having seizures too. She’s been a “rare” case in the fact that we are frequently adjusting her anti-seizure meds (phenobarbitol and potassium bromide) because she’ll become immune to them and start having seizure again, but after a few days they’ll go away. But those few days every couple months are hard, and tiring since she primarily has them while she’s resting/sleeping (aka at night while I’m sleeping!). Just like Winnie, she’s not the same jovial dog for a bit, but she comes back to and you’d never know she has problems. So, all this to say, I know what your family is going through. It’s hard to deal with and watch, but I’ve got a system down, the vet knows me by voice when I call (as well as all the receptionists). I’m praying for your Winnie and family…

janie la pierre — June 13, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

Hopefully she’ll only need the meds and they can adjust that and they do sometimes grow out of it, but you’re right she should have already been diagnosed with it.
    I am extremely partial to goldens and Winnie is a cutie! My 2 year old golden loves to lay on her back and spread her legs: we call her a hussy.
    I will be praying for Winnie because I know what it’s like to have a dog diagnosed with a disease….

Stephanie — June 14, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

Love, love, LOVE your site…I’ve only made a few things so far, but I’m having nightly dreams and daily cravings for the rest, so eventually I will try everything…or possibly just move in with you??? Ha! (totally kidding….)

…and your baby–Winnie–is totally adorable and snuggly. I cried when I read your post, then again when you said she was better. Hope she’s good as new and enjoying the beach-life + maybe a little bite of crescent roll dog? ;)

ps…just have to say too that you are an EXCELLENT writer. One post and I was hooked (and it absolutely had nothing to do with those pb & chocolate cupcakes in the pic…ok, well in all honesty maybe it did just a tiny bit…Have a great vaca in Miami!)

• Jessica — June 14th, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Thank you Stephanie!

Gayle — June 20, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

So, sorry! We have a golden named Winnie who is also an attention hog, so I can completely understand. Hope they find what’s wrong and fix her up soon!