Know what gets me excited?

Coming up with things for dinner. Such a simple, stupid thing.

And yes, just *things* in general. After cooking and recipe developing every single day, the last thing I want to think about is… dinner. I mean, why can’t we eat the brownies + granola + salt and vinegar potatoes + salsa that I made all day for dinner? And I mean all of it together. Say… brownies with a side of potatoes, granola and salsa. That’s not dinner worthy? We can’t call it a potluck or a hodge podge and pass it off as dinner? Like… every single day? Or at least Monday through Friday? Because we all know weekends are just about pizza or booze and stuff like that. And this is what my normal everyday life looks like: brownies, potatoes, salsa and granola.

So dinner stresses me out sometimes. Often, I feel like my mind is one big BLANK. It’s foggy and filled with nothing except curiosity of the evening’s Bachelorette episode. And when you live with someone who requires steak with a side of chicken or chicken with a side of steak, cereal does not a dinner make. My first step is to whine about it on facebook and twitter. I always do that because you guys have such great solutions.

Then I put on my thinking cap and do some math. Such as:

Salmon = Fish. Healthy!

Fish tacos = fabulousness. I want some.

Salmon tacos = weirdness. Will this work?

BLT salmon tacos = new dinner love. Bacon completes me.

It’s official. I’m going back to school to study actuarial science. Me and numbers and now likethis.

I say these salmon tacos are lovely.

Not lovely lovely, but a party in my mouth if you will.

I didn’t really think the salmon tacos would actually happen. I mean, Mexican food is my cuisine of choice and even though I ruin many delicious combinations by turning them quasi-Mexican, salmon was never topping that list. But desperation set in and I was craving something new. And I am reallllly weird… I don’t like to eat the same things. Ever. So high maintenance! Sometimes if I really love something, I eat it like five or six days in a row and then never want it again. I haven’t done that with these tacos yet, but we’re well on our way.

On an unrelated note, someone get me an ironing board. Then teach me how to iron. This wrinkly place mat is making my head hurt.

BLT Salmon Tacos

serves 2

4-6 4-inch tortillas

2 3-4 ounce salmon filets

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1 tomato, chopped (I used an heirloom tomato… love)

1 avocado, chopped

shredded lettuce for garnish

salt & pepper

Heat the broiler on your oven and position the oven rack as need be. Sprinkle your salmon with salt and pepper liberally, then broil for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until pink and flaky. [This is my favorite way to make salmon, but you can easily bake it as well.]

Once salmon is done, flake it with a fork. Set up an assembly line with tortillas, salmon, lettuce, tomato, bacon and dressings of your choice. I combined 1/4 cup of my favorite mustard (Bone Suckin’ mustard!) with 1 tablespoons of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika. It was fabulous drizzled on top!

Don’t forget! Today is the day for The Great Fundraising Act auction that I told you about last week. The auction begins at 8AM EST and you can bid on hundreds on items for a great cause. I am donating a batch of better-than-crack-brownies, macaroon almond butter, some Trader Joe’s treats and a $25 Anthropologie gift card. For all items up for bid, click here!

99 Responses to “BLT Salmon Tacos.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 25, 2011 @ 7:09 am

I had salmon for dinner last night I might just regurgitate it and make these tacos

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — July 25, 2011 @ 7:12 am

I would never have thought to put bacon and salmon together, but if you say it works then I believe you.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 25, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I love this one! Well, Scott would. Seriously he adores salmon and in taco form…perfect. San Diego is known for our fish tacos but it’s not usually salmon in them. Usually a white fish but being that I dont eat too many fish tacos :) I couldn’t really tell ya.

And your Anthro gift card for Susan..I’ve had my eye on your item from the moment you announced it! I wish I had donated something bigger, something more, I feel lame with just cookie dough balls. Really lame, actually!

Erica — July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Mexican food always seems to make a fantastic dinner. bacon? I’m shocked ;)! Your pictures are so pretty- please come take my blog pictures for me

Gina @ running to the kitchen — July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 am

I have leftover grilled salmon from this weekend that this would be perfect for! Now you’ve solved one of my “what’s for dinner” days :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 25, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Great idea! I love BLTs — that may be my favorite sandwich ever. And here I thought I was so smart for adding avocado — and you go ahead and add avocado and salmon. You win.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 25, 2011 @ 7:39 am

blt anything sounds pretty fantastic to me…throw it in with mexican food and i’m all over that!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 25, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I’ve never thought of broiling the salmon, but that’s a great idea! And I like your sauce idea… sounds delicious!

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

That is my all time favorite way of eating it!! It gets SO crispy. I love it more than grilling.

Julie H. — July 25, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Salmon in a taco, yes weirdness but still worth a try! Today must be filled with creativity. Maybe it will rub off?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 25, 2011 @ 7:53 am

I like this idea! Salmon tacos sound tasty! Your placemat is lovely. :)

Blog is the New Black — July 25, 2011 @ 7:58 am

You have some fantastic ideas in that brain of yours.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 25, 2011 @ 8:07 am

BLT Salmon Tacos = genius. Actuarial science = not genius. I had a friend who tried it and went a little cray-cray. And he IS a genius.

Allison — July 25, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Oh sister do I ever know it – my hubby also needs steak with a side of buffalo … and chicken… and any other meat I can find to make it a meal for him *sigh* Gone were the days of wine and cheese for dinner. And maybe some crackers if I was feeling extra devilish!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 25, 2011 @ 8:09 am

“I ruin many delicious combinations by turning them quasi-Mexican” –> this is what I like to do too… by smothering everything in salsa. ;) Sounds delicious Jess!

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 9:27 am

I wish it was salsa I used… because that’s healthy. I tend to use things like massive amounts of cheese and blue corn chips. Ha!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — July 25, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I love BLTs in general, I mean come one its basically a bacon sandwich but make it into a taco filled with and some avocado and you’ve got my attention! I’m pretty sure bacon is what makes the world go round, just logic.

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 9:27 am

You are right.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 25, 2011 @ 8:15 am

This looks so good!!! It has all of my favorite things! Okay, most of them. I guess it doesn’t have chocolate on it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 25, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I want these, now!

Nicole, RD — July 25, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Those look awesome! I just posted your Buffalo Chicken Tacos today :)

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Glad you liked them!!

WenDee Riffe — July 25, 2011 @ 8:50 am

hmm–very interesting concept!! i think i might give this a whirl~i would never think that this would work but u never let me down and u somehow keep coming up with these over the top ideas!!!

The Teenage Taste — July 25, 2011 @ 9:08 am

You are a genius, Jess! I would have never thought of pairing salmon with bacon but it works! I cannot wait to give this a try! :-)

Bev Weidner — July 25, 2011 @ 9:21 am

a.l.l. o.v.e.r. t.h.i.s.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 25, 2011 @ 9:30 am

These look amazing! I have a piece of salmon in my freezer that is begging to be put in a taco :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — July 25, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I am so with you on the dinner thing. People always tell Mike “I’m sure you eat great for dinner every night since your wife is a food blogger!” haha. yeah right. There have been plenty of times I’ve said “here, I made these for blog, can you eat this as dinner?” Luckily my husband is not a complainer – he knows he’d be fixing his own dinner :)

foodwanderings — July 25, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Been obsessed with fish tacos lately. Mostly made cod but maybe it’s time tos witch things around and try salmon?!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — July 25, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Love fish tacos. They just make me think of the ocean and vacay and all that is right with the world. :) Can’t wait to try these!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 25, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Yum these look delish! I love salmon :)

Kim in MD — July 25, 2011 @ 10:05 am

I love salmon, and I think using salmon in a taco would be delicious enough, but add bacon? I’m in love!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 25, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Another yummy recipe from a great blogger! I can’t iron to save my life. Do what I do, and just throw in the dryer for a sec!

Candice — July 25, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Omg, all of my husband’s favorite things in one: salmon, bacon, avocado, tacos. Why didn’t I think of this?? His jaw dropped when I described the post to him this morning. LOL Needless to say, this will be on our to-make list soon.

Teags — July 25, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Far out you make me grin like a moron.

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 25, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Fabulous idea! I love salmon, one of my favorite fish!

CouponClippingCook — July 25, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Great combination of ingredients…and why not put them in a tortilla! What a great idea!

Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 25, 2011 @ 10:47 am

I knew I saw bacon in that picture. What an excellent combination! I like fish tacos and I haven’t made them in years. I’ve never used salmon for them though. I’m off to see what I have stashed in the freezer. This has inspired me. Thanks!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — July 25, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Sound delicious. Just the fact that this has salmon and avocado and all those healthy fats makes this a healthy dinner in my head.

Laurie @SimplyScratch — July 25, 2011 @ 10:59 am

That salmon looks delicious Jessica! I have such a weakness for bacon… well you know that! And anything in taco form is the shizzy!

Kelley @ Just Call Me Jack — July 25, 2011 @ 11:05 am

This is wonderful. I’m not a huge fan of tacos… or mexican food in general. (I think its that certain spice that is found in most of that type of food). Of course my sister’s favorite food is tacos…

This might be just the compromise we needed!

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

You would probably like these then because there is no spice!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 25, 2011 @ 11:15 am

This looks so good. I could eat salmon every day and die a happy girl.

Have you ever shared on your site how you got into recipe development as a career? I would love to read about it if you ever decide to share!

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Just through my blog! I have always treated my blog as a business (even when the pics were horrendous and I didn’t post everyday) and was adamant that I was going to make it a career.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — July 25, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

YUM. I’ve never thought to use salmon in a fish taco! BRILLIANT!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 25, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I bid on your auction item – I hope I get it!!!

Those tacos sound really good. I found a love for fish tacos when I was in San Fran at the Foodbuzz festival. Do you think you will go to that this year?

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Thanks for bidding! Not sure if I will go, it is just realllly far for me. We are going to take a trip for our anniversary which is in October and I’m not sure if I can financially swing hotel + flight to the West coast.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — July 25, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I love, love, love fish tacos! What a fun twist on them!

Helen — July 25, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

YUM – and like you, if I say I’m thinking of making oh, some pasta, sauce, veg for dinner hubs ALWAYS says…where’s my protein??

Ann Claire — July 25, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

These look so wonderful!! I never thought of making fish tacos with salmon.

Ashley — July 25, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Great photos!! The colors + textures are fab!

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — July 25, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Love all these flavors! More bacon!

Vivienne — July 25, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Not really liking your fusion recipes lately. Please stop trying so hard. The Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken? Awwwful! Please stick to the basics. The fusion ones are not very good, sorry to say.

• Jessica — July 25th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I was not fusing anything with the brown sugar roasted chicken. Did you try it? It’s an excellent recipe. Brown sugar is used in many recipes with meat, and it is the basis of the marinade my family has used for years. It’s delicious.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — July 25, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I say it everytime I read one of your recipes, you are a genius.
    and now I’m hungry.

Cait's Plate — July 25, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

I often struggle with commenting on your blog because most usually what comes to mind is “OH MY YUM!!!!” but I feel like I say that every time. I just want you to know – I drool over all your posts and think you are one talented lady in that kitchen! ;)

Amanda N - Wine and a Spoon — July 25, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

With bacon!? :-) Well ok, twist my arm. I’ll add bacon to one more thing. Mmmmm bacon.

Amanda — July 25, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Oh my heaven those look so good! The Bf would love them!

Katie — July 25, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

I also hate coming up with things for dinner. Cereal seems like a legitimate choice every single evening. I’d rather have dessert anyways. But, these look so darn yummy, and if you made them FOR me, I wouldn’t be mad at all.

1. Pingback: Blog Bites Kickoff « Healthy Food For Living

2. Pingback: BLT Turkey Tacos with Cranberry Salsa | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Crockpot Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Crispy Salmon BLT Sliders with Chipotle Mayo | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Crispy Salmon BLT Sliders with Chipotle Mayo. | Lifestyle Pins

6. Pingback: BLT Salmon Tacos « conquering pinterest

7. Pingback: Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Crispy Salmon BLT Sliders with Chipotle Mayo. - Live and Inspire, by Lauretta Marie Pierce

9. Pingback: Meal Plan 5/26-6/1 | Live Half Full