Peaches are finally doing exactly what I’ve wanted them to do.

They are ripe, juicy, fragrant and perfect for chomping down on when the heat is suffocating and sweaty. A giant peach is refreshing and almost as perfect as a gooey triple chocolate fudge brownie. In a different way of course.

I can only imagine that this peach success is how one must feel when their child finally uses a potty. Or rides a bike without training wheels. Or makes their bed without being screamed at and consequently grounded from going to the homecoming dance. I feel so matronly. And feel equally as worse for my parents since I never, ever learned to make my bed. I mean… seriously, you just are going to get right back in it in a matter of hours, right? Why all the fuss?

I had been smelling these peaches on my countertop for days when it hit me that I needed to use them or lose them. It was into a baked good or into my mouth, and someone went a little buck wild in the produce section last week. Hey – I can only eat and drink sooo many berries. At least I didn’t thoughtlessly throw the peaches into my fridge as I do with so many other fresh items I buy only to remember then nine days later. My crisper drawer: where veggies go to die.

Look at these babies. Two words: Juuuuu. Seeee.

Enter blueberry crumble bars.

I made the gooey bars back in March – binded with butter and brown sugar and oats, bursting with popped blueberries – and almost ate a chunk of the actual pan because they were completely devourable. <— I do fun things like make up words.

The only difference here? Brown butter. Yes. Say it with me now. Broooown buttttter.

Brown butter is essentially butter (duh!) made even more delicious by browning (duh, again!) until it is deeply flavorful, nutty and bubbly enough to make you want to jump in the pan.

You can take away my all-purpose flour. You maaaaybe can even make me eat something sort of vegetable-like. But you can never, ever, ever take away my buttah.

[And can I say it’s healthy ’cause it’s brown? ‘Cause you know… that’s what I say. Too far? Too much… ?]

Ah… and here’s a peek at normalness. You know… things I do everyday. Things you might do. Pan straight from oven. Fork straight from drawer. Fork straight into pan. Steaming hot bars straight into mouth. Tastebuds immediately burnt off roof of mouth. You know… life.

Brown Butter Peach Crumble Bars

makes about 12 bars

1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour [or all-purpose]

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup butter

4 ripe, medium peaches, chopped (about 2 cups peaches)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Set aside

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and stir continuously until it melts. It may bubble a little. As soon as you see small brown specks in the butter, remove it from the heat. This took me about 3 minutes. Add the butter, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the peaches.

Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes (the juicer your peaches are the longer you have to bake), the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

I’d like to offer you one for breakfast, but it seems that they’ve all disappeared. Which is sad considering I haven’t been able to taste a thing since these came out of the oven.

130 Responses to “Brown Butter Peach Crumble Bars.”

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian — July 26, 2011 @ 11:33 am

This looks amazing! I have been seeing cobblers and other types of bars similar to this on blogs. I think it’s a sign I need to make them. :)

Brooke @ Waiting to Rise — July 26, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Looks delicious…I just got a whole bunch of peaches this week from one of my coworkers…and I was stressing as to how I was going to eat peaches for the next few meals to get them eaten. Now, I’m gonna make one of these bars to use up at least 4 of them. Think they’ll be just as good with white peaches delicate flavor?

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Yes for sure!

Cait @ Cait hates Cakec — July 26, 2011 @ 11:52 am

That recipe is super simple – my kind of recipe. Looks absolutely delicious.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 26, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

I can envision these topped with a healthy scoop of vanilla bean ice cream perhaps? The addition of brown butter is just genius! Love that decadent flavor.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

I definitely think ice cream would work!

Katie — July 26, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Sweet, sweet peaches. I don’t think there is a fruit that I get more excited about than these fuzzy little guys. Deeelicious. I’m going to have to do some peach baking this week.

Jessica @ Bake a Little — July 26, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

These look amazing! Wish I had known this last week when I had a bajillion peaches and I didn’t know what to do with them so I was averaging 3 a day in order to prevent them from going bad!

naomi — July 26, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Um, yeah, I’m gonna need to make this! This looks delish.

Kacy — July 26, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Those elusive perfect peaches are so hard to come by, but they are the bearer of all good things in the world. Looks delicious!

Whitney W — July 26, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

My Mom was just telling me she was craving a dessert with peaches! This would be perfect! It looks so yummy!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — July 26, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I was just about to eat a peach but now I don’t even want it unless it looks like that pic above!! I think I need to save it for a little backing tonight — looks delish!!

taryn the teatotaler — July 26, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

ohhhhh baby. come to me, peachy deliciousness.

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — July 26, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

You got me immediately with the “brown butter” in the name.. sounds like carmelized perfection!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — July 26, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Peach cobbler is an essential summer treat! This version with brown butter sounds like it would be melt in my mouth heaven!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 26, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Holy wow, this looks amazing. I don’t know why, but the title of your post just made my heart skip a beat. Butter, brown sugar… peaches… ah! I need to make these gluten free + dairy free so I can chow down on them too!

Michelle — July 26, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I made these today….they were awesome! My peaches were pretty good….I can only imagine how great they’d be if I had amazing peaches too! Thanks for the recipe.

PS – I decided I needed to make both recipes….the peach and the blueberry so I could compare. Both were so great that I can’t decide which one I like more. The peach ones hold together better but the blueberry ones have so much great blueberry taste! I think next time I might combine peaches and blueberries into the same bar.

• Stephanie — July 27th, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Thank you for letting us know!! Now I have to try both too..

Jen — July 26, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

I was so excited to see this recipe and then realized that we just have ONE peach left and 6 nectarines. Wonder if nectarines would work?

Kelsey — July 26, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Looks amazing, as usual! :) I love baking dessert bars! I’ve never tried peach, though. No time like the present!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 26, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

You’re so right…peaches are amazing right now. I have pie crust chilling in the fridge right now for a homemade peach pie. These look great!

Karen — July 26, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

I’m a Georgia gal and our peaches are amazing right now. I had a peach muffin for breakfast and was just sitting here thinking about what else I could make using peaches. These bars are it… they look wonderful!

Love me some brown butter. ;)

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — July 26, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I love peach season! And I love how the addition of fruit automatically makes these healthy. Bonus!

Lindsey — July 26, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

I just made these. (with nectarines instead of peaches) OMG delicious!!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

Yay!

Jen — July 26, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

I also made them with nectarines! So good.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

SO glad they worked out!

Hannah @PalmBeachRunner — July 26, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

great combo! love it!

Amy — July 26, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

These look AMAZING!!! I attempted some peach scones a while back and though they were *okay* I mixed them TOO much, causing peachy juiciness to go into the batter resulting in weird textured scones. Plus they had this weird tartness that was kind of gross after a couple days. Anyway, these look much better. Browned butter is heavenly.

kate @ pomelo sunshine — July 26, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Amazing. I’m drooling. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Amanda — July 26, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

Those look like they would make a great dessert on a hot summer night with some vanilla ice cream! Who am I kidding, they would make a good breakfast too! And bonus I can eat them just the way they are, very bladder friendly…may be making these tomorrow!

Dwiana — July 26, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Hello, stumbling upon your blog for the first time. I do love it! great recipe and step by step pictures on how to make. Will sure be coming back here:)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — July 26, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

I just stumbled onto your blog and I’m so glad I did. The hubby will LOVE this recipe!

Joe — July 26, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Bring these up north.

april — July 26, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I just bought peaches yesterday. I’m glad we’re on the same page :)

Suzy - Sudden Lunch — July 27, 2011 @ 5:08 am

That’s tomorrow’s breakfast sorted!

Happy When Not Hungry — July 27, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Wow those look delicious!!! These are perfect with juicy summer peaches. Yum!

Alaina — July 27, 2011 @ 8:34 am

I rarely, if ever, bake with peaches, but this recipe looks amazing! I love fruity, oaty bars. This is definitely getting tagged and made. :-)

Petra — July 27, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Love your blog! All of the recipes are an inspiration, and I’ve tried few, they do not disappoint!

It’s a good idea for a potluck that I’m going to in a few weeks.

Cindy B. — July 27, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

MMMmmmmmmmm ! I can just taste it now.

Elysha — July 27, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

These are in my oven right now, and I’m chomping on the leftover batter bits that were stuck to my spatula. Does that mean I can’t eat as many bars when they are done?

victoria — July 27, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

thank you for the fantastic recipe…i made (and ate half of) these last night. AH-mazing :)

Dee at Deelicious Sweets — July 27, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

These make me so giddy!!! I love it!!

Tracy — July 27, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

Love these bars! I have them on my list now as soon as peaches are available for picking around here. Yummm.

annie — July 29, 2011 @ 4:01 am

lawl you are too funny! plus, these bars are a wonder to behold, they look so luscious!

Lauren — July 29, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

I’m making these now! They were SO easy, I just hope I did everything okay!

crlsweetie912 — July 29, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

wipesdrool…….

Erin — August 3, 2011 @ 12:20 am

Could I make these with honey?

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Honestly not sure… I haven’t tried that and there would be a ton of substitutions, it would basically be a different bar.

Annie — August 3, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I made these and added raspberries and white chocolate chips. They were delicious! Reminded me of those mazurka bars you get @ great harvest! So yummy!!! Thanks!

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2011 @ 11:10 am

OMG yum!!

Thursday Girls — August 4, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks SO DELICIOUS!! We liked it so much we had to share this link with our readers- check out our post here: http://bit.ly/psNouQ
    xxo
    Lauryn from THURSDAYS

Abby — August 7, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I made this last night and it is seriously one of the best things I have ever baked!! Thanks so much!!

Lauren — August 9, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

So I’m pretty sure you’re my favorite food blogger. THIS IS AMAZING! I think all of your recipes that I’ve made have turned out delicious. I love how your recipes are simple and don’t have a lot of fancy ingredients, yet they’re still loaded with layers of flavor. Thanks!

dory — August 14, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

I made these tonight and they are wonderful! I didn’t give them much time to cool before I dove in. The house smells amazing, I’m full of peachy brown sugary crumbly oaty deliciousness, and my roommate is happy to be living with me. Thanks for a great recipe!

Margie — August 15, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

My family just went peach picking this weekend and the kids got crazy picking (I did, too!) We all love eating them just whole or sliced but some are starting to get too soft. I like the crunchy ones. I wanted to make this recipe but I don’t have enough brown sugar. Can I just use white? Maybe maple syrup? Thanks!

Dani — August 24, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

First of all, I adore your blog and check it almost every day to see what new amazing recipes and such you put up. You have wonderful ideas; I love the pictures and your writing voice is awesome (as a recent graduate in English, I appreciate this a lot). I love love love baking and have tried quite a few of your recipes. I made this one last night for my family except I added finely chopped pecans to the dry mix and did equal portions of fresh blackberries with peaches. It turned out wonderfully!! Great recipe, love it and will be making it again in the future! Thanks for this wonderful blog!!