In an ever-changing world with much fear of the unknown, you can always find some consolation here. I haven’t changed.

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

For example, this is the second day this week I’ve posted a bowl of butter with something else extremely delicious being mixed in. Something extremely delicious that is not green. I like.

And if you’re smart you can put two and two together and realize that both of those butters made up one meal. Or you just realized that because I told you. Whatever. Anyhoo, want to come over for dinner? I thought so. This is what we ate on Sunday night. We always eat things like this on Sunday night. You’ll like it. I swear.

Just know that there is nothing new going on ’round these parts. A whole lot of not doing laundry + attempted stuffed turkey homicides + Conway Twitty (ummm who?) music that makes my ears bleed + roasting chickens and never cleaning up the kitchen. It’s like comfort wrapped in a big blanket of bacon.

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

So yeah… I’m still roasting chickens once a week. I’m sort of obsessed. And you know what? I’m also really annoyed that I’ve totally devalued the word “obsessed” here, even though it perfectly explains my emotions for everything I write about. And I spent a a good 6 minutes hunched over my trusty thesaurus (lies: I have an app) and found no other word I enjoyed more. Hence me still being obsessed with roasted chickens.

And even though I’m obsessed, this picture still creeps me out.

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

What freaking weirdo posts a weirdo picture like this on their blog? The only thing I like about it is that it reminds me of the time when Monica Gellar walked around with a turkey on her head. I’ve always wanted to do that in real life. Or rather watch someone else do it. Because really…  I do not want my head stuck up a hen’s hooha.

Oh, but the other thing I really like about that weirdo picture is that is tastes good. The chicken – not the picture.

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken

1 roasting chicken (Mine was about 5lbs, but any size will do. Just add a little more/less butter and sugar)

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon course sea salt*

1 teaspoon black pepper*

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Clean or prepare your chicken for roasting, remove giblets and pat completely dry with a paper towel. [For step by step photos of how I roast a chicken, click HERE.] In a bowl, combine softened butter and brown sugar with a spoon until creamy. Using your hands, rub butter over entire chicken, including underneath the skin if you wish. Sprinkle the entire thing with salt and pepper. Set chicken in a roasting pan breast-side up, or roast it over a beer can like I did: I set a beer can with a few sips of beer left in my pan, shoved it up the chicken’s… you know… and then roasted it. If desired you can layer some slices onions under the chicken, but I did not do this. The butter and sugar really caramelizes and I’m not sure any veggies would hold up underneath it. Roast for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I use Ina Garten’s tip of slicing the leg and if the juices run clear… it’s done! Let rest for about 15-20 minutes before cutting.

*these are just rough estimates, I simply sprinkle salt and pepper all over the entire chicken.

Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Save the neck for me, Clark.

137 Responses to “Brown Sugar Butter Roasted Chicken.”

Blond Duck — July 22, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I love roasted chicken!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 22, 2011 @ 7:04 am

I’ve never roasted a chicken– but this looks promising :D

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 22, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Ok I could actually just eat the butter. Brown sugar in ANYTHING makes me happy :)

emily — July 22, 2011 @ 7:24 am

holy scrumptiousness – that skin looks sublime!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 22, 2011 @ 7:25 am

yummmm I want someone to make me this chicken because making a full chicken seems so daunting to me. I need to just do it, but maybe you can come over and share :)

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 7:43 am

You can do it!!

Kathryn — July 22, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Ooh I bet this chicken tastes absolutely amazing!

Erica — July 22, 2011 @ 7:27 am

You are literally making me want chicken at 7 AM. Hahah. What a yummy idea. Happy weekend!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 22, 2011 @ 7:27 am

That is a chicken that I would love! And it is ok with me that you are obsessed:-)

Three-Cookies — July 22, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I know brown sugar and butter make great cookies, ingenious to make roast chicken with it also. Maybe chocolate chips would be pushing it too far I suppose:)

Paige — July 22, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Bahahahhahahaha Aunt Bethany, does your cat eat Jell-O?

In more mature news, this chicken looks delicious.

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Thank goodness someone got that and not everyone thinks I’m insane.

• Becky — July 22nd, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I pledge allegiance to the flag…

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 22, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I’ve only roasted a whole chicken once but I have to tell you, I felt like Martha Freakin Stewart when I did it. And I always make plans to make one every Sunday to have leftovers for my lunches. Guess what — if you don’t but a whole chicken you can’t roast a whole chicken. One of these days I’ll actually remember to put it on my list!

Rachel — July 22, 2011 @ 7:40 am

hooha! I am choking on my coffee over here :) Chicken looks great…I might need to make extra brown sugar and butter mixture to compensate for the “tasting” beforehand.

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 7:42 am

Oooh you’re smart.

Julie @SavvyEats — July 22, 2011 @ 7:44 am

I’d rather watch someone else walk around with a turkey on their head. Can you imagine the smell?

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 22, 2011 @ 7:49 am

thanks to you i want to rent and watch every episode of ‘Friends’ with a plate of chicken. Is that weird?

• Julie @SavvyEats — July 22nd, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Thanks to Jess I now plan to have “Friends” on in the background while i work today…

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 22, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Loving on the Friends reference. That show will never grow old.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 22, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Oooh this looks delicious! I’ve never actually roasted an entire chicken (and I have no idea why), but if I do, I’ll be doing it like this!! Maybe a little extra brown sugar too, just for good measure! ;)

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — July 22, 2011 @ 8:12 am

It kind of looks like that chicken is getting into down dog haha. But I don’t mind, I like weirdo pictures of roast chickens doing yoga poses and looking yummy!

Bev Weidner — July 22, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Roasted chicken and I have friendship bracelets.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 22, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I never would have thought to put brown sugar on my bird. Great idea! He or she looks like he’s ready to run away in that weirdo picture, like he’s at the starting line of a race, but maybe he’s ready to run for his life. Too late. ;-)

Molly @ RDexposed — July 22, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Are you sponsored by the American Dental Association to increase their business? :)

Aimee @ShugarySweets — July 22, 2011 @ 8:37 am

How did you know I wanted chicken for dinner? Thank you, I’m on my way. Of course, you probably ate it all. Nope take that back, you husband I’m sure ate it all!! Thanks for sharing (the recipe, not the chicken!!)
    Aimee

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Hehehe. You are funny.

Emily — July 22, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Oh how yummy this looks. Your pictures make me so hungry.

Emily http://www.mywordsinterestslife.blogspot.com

brandi — July 22, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I’ve always been leery of using sugar on the skin because I thought it would get WAY too crispy/dark, but this looks perfect!

Love this twist on roasted chicken. It really is the best thing ever, isn’t it? We had some last night :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 22, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Yum!! That looks delicious, and pretty easy!!

VeggieGirl — July 22, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Good LORD does that look amazing.

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 8:57 am

VeggieGirl thinks my chicken looks amazing? I must’ve done good!! ;)

Leigh — July 22, 2011 @ 9:11 am

You may or may not (read: absolutely) have the best ideas EVER. I am making this for the boyfriend ASAP! I roasted a chicken back in the spring because I wanted to be brave like you!- and it was maybe the best decision of the year.

Lisa | Life in Green — July 22, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Totally making this sometime.

And totally going to be reciting Christmas Vacation lines all dang day.

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Same here.

Penni — July 22, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Wow, this looks good! Would love to try it. Think I need more info., but it won’t let me click the link to see how you roast chickens. So I will remain a roast chickenless chick!

Linda — July 22, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Lord have mercy. I am going to pick up a hen today just to try this!

Amy — July 22, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Wow. What a combination. That looks amazing and crispy and delicious. But really, the butter + brown sugar looks amazing and crispy/creamy and delicious. Is there anything better than creaming butter, sugar and vanilla (my fav part of making cookies) in a bowl? Ugh. Goodness. I haven’t roasted a whole chicken yet, though I’ve done bone-in breasts before. I will have to try one time. Maybe not in this sweltering heat…ugh. SO AWFUL.

Kim in MD — July 22, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard right now! “I do not want my head stuck up a hen’s hooha.” haha! And the Vacation line…you are killing me! :-)

The chicken looks amazing, Jessica! That photo didn’t scare me at all! I am going to make this as soon as this heat wave is over!

Christina — July 22, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Good morning Jessica! I’m loving the National Lampoon’s Vacation reference. BTW, the “click here” link on how you roast a chicken isn’t linked. But that’s ok because I’ve already read that too!

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Thanks so much – fixed!

Amy — July 22, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I LOVE that you just ended that post with that quote. One of my all-time favorite stupid movies–I can quote the whole thing through. This year I’m buying the hubs moose mugs and a dickey for a Christmas gag gift!

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Hahahah!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 22, 2011 @ 9:40 am

You have really done it this time; looks ah.maze.ing. Hilarious that you used the word “hooha”!

The Teenage Taste — July 22, 2011 @ 9:48 am

This looks delicious, but I have an irrational fear of roasting chicken. It seems so difficult! :-?

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I promise it isn’t!! The first time is sort of scary but it is just so good… then once you continue to do it it’s so easy!

Kristina @ spabettie — July 22, 2011 @ 9:48 am

references from friends AND Cousin Eddie?? I love you.

Rodzilla — July 22, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Enthralled? Too haughty, I agree. Obsessed is good. It looks like you paired this with the amazing corn – I’m jealous.

Erin — July 22, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I have never roasted a chicken. I’ve cooked whole turkeys, but for some reason chicken scares me. Must overcome that fear to make this.

Julie H. — July 22, 2011 @ 10:06 am

…Oh Christmas Vacation may have just stole some glory away from the chicken. Only because Christmas Vacation is AMAZING!
    Great work on the chicken, the sugar works out well!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 22, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Because really… I do not want my head stuck up a hen’s hooha.<– Best line ever!
    I've got 8 people coming over tomorrow and I can't think of anything interesting to make that is somewhat easy too, perhaps I'll just roast a chicken even though it's going to be like 95…

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo — July 22, 2011 @ 10:36 am

You totally encouraged me to roast my first chicken (http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2011/07/roast-chicken-with-lemon-and-bacon.html)!!! It was delicious! I love the idea of brown sugar butter on my next bird :) Thanks for the push!

Jamie K — July 22, 2011 @ 10:42 am

OMG, I’m cracking up at the, “Save the neck for me, Clark”. I can hear that movie in my head now. That and the vision of Monica and the turkey with the glasses on it and the legs wiggling in the air – ah, that made my morning.

Now I want chicken AND to watch Christmas Vacation. I wonder if it’s on Netflix… the best part of all time is Aunt Bethany’s wrapped cat. For some reason that made me laugh so much when I was a kid.

SammaMichelle — July 22, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Omg! You made me laugh so hard. I’m so gladi am not the only person to use the hoo ha reference!!! And Cousin Eddie and an Amazing chicken recipe…mercy you’ve made my day!!!

Oh and buying the dickey and moose mugs for gifts…that’s just real nice Clark! ;0)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 22, 2011 @ 10:45 am

I LOVE roast chicken! I’ve never seen it done like this before, can’t wait to try :)

Yum Yucky — July 22, 2011 @ 11:07 am

awww, c’mon!!! you know dang well I’d stick my head up a hen’s hooha for the perfect photo op….
    I had baked chickens in mind for this weekend, and I do smather the buttahs on my chicken, but never thought of the brown sugar element. I love this idea.

Kat — July 22, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Mmm…even the recipe title is making me drool!

Emily — July 22, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Don’t get me wrong, that chicken looks amazing, but I can think of a good handful of other things I’d like to try that brown sugar butter on, too!

Oh, and that Monica in the turkey moment…classic!!

Katie — July 22, 2011 @ 11:34 am

National Lampoons reference and the word “hooha”. I love you more every day. Plus adding sugar to things like chicken is always a good idea. :-) How Sweet It Is, literally.

Liz — July 22, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Love it! I need to try this next week.

By the way, featured you on “le blog” today:

Have a great weekend!

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Thanks so much Liz!!

Katie — July 22, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Just when I thought I couldn’t like you any more, you make an allusion to friends. And a beautiful roasted chicken. What a happy Friday :)

1 2 3