I hope you like orange things.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Because if you haven’t noticed yet, this is like… really orange. I’m still slightly flabbergast at the sight. I mean, it’s almost too orange to eat. Almost. Did I actually eat something this orange?

That I did. Because it is gooo-oood. I said that in my Uncle Eddie voice from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I use that version of the word approximately 17 times per week. How cool is Uncle Eddie walking around in his underwear, draining his RV lavatory into the sewer on the street? Good stuff right there.

I wish you could hear me say it. Or not.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

So do you think we can call this fusion?

Buffalo chicken… tacos… we are fusing something here right? Buffalo-ness and Mexican perhaps?

I’ll be the first to admit that this “recipe” is not exactly rocket science, but it tastes so flipping insane that it’s now up on the weekly menu plan. Not that I even plan dinners these days. Last night I shoved a hot dog and a bowl of boxed macaroni and cheese in my husband’s face like he was 4 years old. It’s too hot to cook. Not really. I was just lazy. But he likes 4-year old kid stuff so I figured… why not? And I lived happily ever after with my US Weekly.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

But anyway.

I love love love the whole buffalo combination. I’m talking the buffalo wing sauce plus the cheddar plus the blue cheese plus the green onions plus the crunchy, water-packed lettuce plus the cilantro. Fanfreakingtastic. But every single particle must be combined to send out that spicy, cheesey, fresh flavor that I so adore. You can’t miss a thing. I mean, I can take or leave the chicken. Whatever. Give me a warm pliable tortilla filled with the buffalo wing sauce and shredded lettuce, the onions and the cheeses and a generous handful of fresh cilantro. I’m good to go. And really… it’s like I’m just eating a tortilla filled with vegetables I guess. Hmmpf. Wow. Yeah. Wonder if I could pass that off…

Probably not. Sounds similar to the time I ate french fries and strawberries for three days and claimed I was a vegetarian.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Buffalo Chicken Tacos

serves 2

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces

2 tablespoons corn starch

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

pinch of cayenne pepper

1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank’s Buffalo Wing)

3 tablespoons olive oil

4-6 4-inch tortillas

salt and pepper

for toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled gorgonzola, avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage, green onions, cilantro, ranch dressing and extra buffalo wing sauce for drizzling.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine corn starch and flour cayenne and garlic powder. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and once it gets hot, add chicken and brown on both sides – about 3-4 minutes per side. You can add the additional olive oil through cooking or once you flip the chicken. Once the chicken is done, set it aside in a bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of buffalo wing sauce.

Set out an assembly line of tortillas, shredded cheddar, crumbled gorgonzola, lettuce, green onions, avocado, cilantro and ranch + buffalo wing sauce for drizzling. Serve hot so the cheese melts!

Buffalo Chicken Tacos I howsweeteats.com

I like this. You should too.

148 Responses to “Buffalo Chicken Tacos.”

Becki@beckiswholelife — July 8, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Yum…I could eat these for breakfast. Love the whole combo.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 8, 2011 @ 7:09 am

ANYTHING that involved buffalo chicken, avocados, and cheese in the same sentence has my name written ALL over it.

Kim in MD — July 8, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I love buffalo chicken in any way, shape or form! This looks so delicious. I love how your brain works, Jessica! :-)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 8, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Yummmmy! Great idea. And avocado just makes it all the more amazing.

Kristen@PrettySweet — July 8, 2011 @ 7:28 am

Fusion, yes. I have no problem calling it that. It looks perfect. The cilantro and avocado, in addition to those other things that normally go with buffalo chicken, totally won me over!

Cait's Plate — July 8, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Hahaha – that’s probably the way my “vegetarian” diet would go as well – and probably about as long!

That combo DOES look flipping insane! I never in my life would’ve thought of that combo – so I’m glad you did it for me :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 8, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Ok I want to be a vegetarian — strawberries and french fries? Sounds good to me.

And I love those big hunks of avocado in there — yum!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 8, 2011 @ 7:34 am

This looks insanely good. I LOVE buffalo anything.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 8, 2011 @ 7:35 am

It’s always too hot to cook. That’s my excuse :) Even if it’s wintertime..haha!

The photography is awesome. I have a hard time photographing things like tacos or casseroles and making them look pretty. You have made these look….incredibly pretty!

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Thanks girl!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — July 8, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Buffalo sauce is amazing. So are these tacos! :)

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 8, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Looks so yummy. All of those things you talked about up there are pretty much my favorite combination ever. Plus, I think your chicken-less buffalo taco makes a fine vegetarian meal!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — July 8, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Now all you need is to dip it in the coconut macaroon almond butter. Extra protein never hurt, right?

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:20 am

I like how you think!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — July 8, 2011 @ 7:43 am

I’m probably making these tonight. My husband swoons when he hears “buffalo chicken” in any meal. He’ll love this!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — July 8, 2011 @ 7:43 am

These look so good! I’m 100% cool with orange.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 8, 2011 @ 7:44 am

You mean there are other ways to cook besides tossing things together like this? Not possible. That’s the only way I “cook”. ;)

RhodeyGirl — July 8, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Last night I ate a mini bowl of leftover pasta at 5 PM, picked up PB from the train (he worked in NYC yesterday) at 6:30 and told him he was on his own for dinner. It was GLORIOUS sitting on the couch cozied up with my Kindle while he cooked himself dinner. I felt guilty about that for a minute, and then I didn’t.

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:19 am

I love everything about this.

Alana — July 8, 2011 @ 7:54 am

and…i want buffalo sauce on my cereal now. yum!

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Bahaha, now that’s a new one!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — July 8, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I love buffalo sauce – when I ate chicken, I could throw back wings like you couldn’t believe.

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Like.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 8, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Oooh I like this too! And just think, you could even combine the buffalo chicken with Mr. How Sweet’s mac and cheese to make a Buffalo-Italian fusion meal! ;)

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

You are one smart chica. He would love that, boxed and all.

Blog is the New Black — July 8, 2011 @ 8:02 am

I love anything buffalo!

The Teenage Taste — July 8, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Anything with buffalo chicken is bound to be a favorite in my family. Thanks, Jess!

Allison — July 8, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Isn’t that funny — we can plop down a hot dog *gag* and some boxed Mac ‘n Cheese for hubby and he’s in heaven….I keep telling myself I am way out-doing it when I make something from scratch, homemade ;) lol

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I know… ha!

VeggieGirl — July 8, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I don’t like it… I LOVE it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 8, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Yum! Great idea to combine to delicious things like this:-)

Kacy — July 8, 2011 @ 8:26 am

I love anything buffalo, even though I hate the color orange. Looks fabulous!

Persnickety Hall — July 8, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Yum! Looks tasty! :)

Gen — July 8, 2011 @ 8:37 am

That looks really, really good!! Thing is, we don’t have buffalo sauce here….is there a good recipe for it?

Lauren — July 8, 2011 @ 8:38 am

I love the topping with cilantro. I think it’s the best herb out there…so fresh tasting…so clean smelling…makes me want to bathe in it. I guess that’s weird.

Kelly — July 8, 2011 @ 8:46 am

YUM, this looks amazing. I always make my own wing sauce and it is: cayenne pepper sauce mixed half and half with BUTTER. Not really healthy, but neither is that bottled stuff… yikes.

Bev Weidner — July 8, 2011 @ 8:52 am

I am a taco F.R.E.A.K. so this post speaks to my soul innards. I’ve never done buffalo chicken tacos but letmetellyousomething – I WILL NOW. Have you tried ancho chicken tacos? Oh, oh dear stars.

But really, buffalo sauce – I’m on it.

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I have not! Thanks for the recipe.

Liz — July 8, 2011 @ 8:54 am

This is so wrong it’s right – I LOVE buffalo stuff and mexican food!!

Baking Serendipity — July 8, 2011 @ 8:56 am

I am loving anything buffalo chicken these days and this is genius! And orange. And wonderful all at once. High five!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 8, 2011 @ 8:58 am

So, for fusion purposes would you call this dish Buffican, or Mexicalo. Love the combination. I made something the other night and thought as I was eating it that this dish would be really great as a taco, but I was too lazy to get up and retrieve the shells.
    The family’s going to love this. Thanks, Jessica!

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I like.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 8, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Such a colorful combination! I kinda want to skip breakfast and just eat these.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 8, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Haha when I was a kid, I told my parents I was becoming vegetarian while on a family bike ride. It lasted as long as the bike ride and ended pretty promptly at Dairy Queen. Knowing me, it was probably with a cheeseburger.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — July 8, 2011 @ 9:04 am

I have to tell you that I find great comfort in the fact that I am not the only one completely obsessed with any and everything Buffalo Chicken related. And extra props because you used Franks, further proving that we may in fact be soul mates…. or at least bbcff (best buffalo chicken friends forever obviously…)

Sues — July 8, 2011 @ 9:16 am

Orange foods are my favorite foods and this looks just perfect. My fiance is exactly like your husband. He would die of happiness if I made him mac and cheese and a hot dog. Simple tastes!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 8, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Love this minus the cilantro. For some reason I REALLY hate cilantro. But I love buffalo chicken, therefore this will definitely be made :D

• Jessica — July 8th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

I forgive you. I believe you’re in the majority.

• Michelle — July 8th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I agree with you about cilantro. Just doesn’t work for me. BUT this recipe looks fantastic! Everyone knows orange food is good for you. And it’s cheerful. Jessica, your photos of this dish are amazing! Can’t wait to make this!

ps orange foods include cheetos!!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — July 8, 2011 @ 9:39 am

This sounds DELICIOUS!!!!

Milisa @ Miss in the Kitchen — July 8, 2011 @ 9:47 am

This looks so good I could eat it right now, this morning for breakfast!

Maria — July 8, 2011 @ 9:49 am

you seriously just combined all my favorite things.. in one tortilla. AMAZING!

Amy — July 8, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Yummm!! This looks easy enough that it could even go in my “too lazy to make toast” category. For those nights when I’m too lazy to make toast… which is, like, every other day.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 8, 2011 @ 9:57 am

i’m officially making this next week…i LOVE every buffalo chicken recipe you’ve ever posted on here!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 8, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Fanfreakingtastic! :D Great word btw, I might steal it…

Sarah Love — July 8, 2011 @ 10:02 am

I love this. I love buffalo things. I also love that you didn’t chop the cilantro. Whenever I cook with cilantro…someone always says “its good, but there’s too much cilantro.” I am very perplexedby this idea of “too much”….

Christine — July 8, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Hi Jessica I have just recently came across your blog and just wanted to tell you how much I love it! You’re recipes are awesome and your photography is beautiful, I don’t have a website of my own but have been blogging for years but wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your site lol! I’ve made everything from the onion rings to the cinnamon vanilla pecan butter and it’s all awesome, this buffalo chicken taco looks great too probably try that soon, I’m addicted to Franks! By the way my husband is also a grilled meat/ protein addict lol and you always make me laugh with some of the posts that talk about that. Anyway good luck thanks for the great recipes!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Thank you so, so much Christine!

Adrienne @ MIDWESTERN BELLE — July 8, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Buffalo chicken is my life! Love it!

Presley (Run Pretty) — July 8, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I loooove buffalo sauce, but I don’t really eat chicken… buffalo shrimp tacos? That may be next on my to-do list. WHY do I always have to see your recipes in the morning? My husband things I’m so weird. He’ll wake up and I’ll be making a five course dinner for breakfast. I just have the patience of a five year old!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Those sound perfect!

john — July 8, 2011 @ 10:42 am
    Julie H. — July 8, 2011 @ 10:44 am

YUMMM! The husband would like this! It reminds me of the buffalo chicken hummus I make him every week!

1 2 3

9. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Tacos | Orange County

10. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Tacos | Palm Springs

11. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Tacos | Phoenix

12. Pingback: {what’s cookin’ this week?}

13. Pingback: 12 Summer Recipes I Forgot About. | Lifestyle Pins

14. Pingback: 12 Summer Recipes | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Tacos and Funfetti Cupcakes | Confessions of a (Not-So) Domesticated Newlywed

16. Pingback: Weekly menu: buffalo chicken tacos, orzo salad, no-cook pasta sauce and more! « NewlyWife Supper Club

17. Pingback: Recipe Repeat: Buffalo Chicken Tacos