I know I tell you to make things all the time.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

That’s basically what we do here, right? I tell you, every single day, to make whatever it is I’ve taken way too many pictures of and promise that it’s the best thing you’ll ever eat. And blah blah this-is-what-I-did-yesterday blah.

Yes. I do that sometimes. It’s fairly absurd, considering I’d never share something with you that I didn’t love or think you should make righthissecond. But if I didn’t chatter away here I’d have to actually talk to real live people in my real live life and tell them in less that 654 words why this brownie slash penne slash salad is the best thing I’ve ever made. So there’s that.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Oh! Just kidding though. We all know I would never consider a salad the best thing I’ve ever made. Hardy har har.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

But this time is different, I swear.

This… you just need to make this. Obviously.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

See, the thing is that I really don’t like almond butter. Like, at all. I think it’s disgusting, tasteless, and just gross. Not my thing. Too boring? Too savory? Maybe it’s because my teeth are so inexplicably sweet that I can barely handle something that doesn’t include butter or cheese or chocolate. Maybe it’s the result of one too many swipes in the Jif jar as a child. Maybe it’s because I really just like my own homemade versions and haven’t found one to compare. Maybe it’s because I only like to eat my almonds when covered in chocolate.

Problem solved. Chocolate works miracles. Fact.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Initially I decided to make chocolate coconut peanut butter, but then I considered my options and remembered how much I adore macaroons – with their slightly crispy outside and sweet, gooey inside – made especially decadent with a quarter chocolate dipped. I could easily plow through a dozen macaroons in one sitting. Chocolate coconut: 100 points. Self control: negative 500 points.

To top things off? This almond butter is the epitome of versatility. Yesterday I had it with an apple for a snack. And after dinner, I had about 43 spoonfuls for dessert. Today I plan on spreading it on toast. I’ll probably add it to a smoothie at some point. And I might even cover broccoli with it. At the least I’ll probably lick some nutrients off the stalks.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter

makes about 1 1/4 cups

1 1/2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut (if you can only find sweetened, I’m sure it’s fine!)

1 1/2 cups raw almonds

3-4 ounces good-quality dark chocolate

pinch of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, in liquid form

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.

Spread the almonds out on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes. While almonds are toasting, add shredded coconut to your food processor and blend until it begins to break down. This will take about 5 minutes or so and will require you to scrape down the sides to keep everything moving. After the coconut begins to break down, add the coconut oil and continue to mix. Once the almonds are finished, add them immediately to the coconut and blend. I find this works best while the almonds are warm. Blend and pulse, scraping down the sides of the processor until the butter comes together. Melt the dark chocolate (I use the microwave, melting it in 30 second increments and stirring until it’s melted) and add to the almond butter. Blend until fully incorporated.

Nut butters are normally supposed to be stored in the fridge, so I leave mine out for a day or two (since that is when I’m most likely to consume it) then store it in the fridge for later use. It will get firm, so leave it out at room temperature before using if desired.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

So what do you think? I say this goes to the top of your to-do list. It’s almost as important as breathing.

139 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter.”

Erica — July 7, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Coconut- such a cool add in. Sounds delicious. Have you tried Justin’s maple almond butter? Its a little more on the sweet side and you may enjoy it (if you’re not in the mood to home make a batch :)). He has a chocolate almond too but I haven’t tried it.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I’ve had the chocolate almond, it is pretty good. It is the one almond butter I would say I actually like.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 7, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Excuse me while I make this recipe and inhale the entire jar in one sitting.

Kim in MD — July 7, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Nut butters are all the rage now, but I haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet- until today! This looks amazing! I am going to give it a try…it does have chocolate in it, after all! :-) Thanks for inspiring me, Jessica!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:13 am

You need to Kim – homemade nut butters are so good!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 7, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I love the pictures of it dripping over the sides!!!! Wow that looks delicious, and I don’t even like coconut!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Is it the taste or texture that you don’t like? My husband likes the taste of coconut but not the texture, and this works because the coconut is pureed into butter and isn’t flakey.

• Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:20 am

It is definitely the texture of coconut that I don’t like and to me the taste is just ok — which is strange because I LOVE the smell!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 7, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I definitely prefer homemade almond butter to store-bought versions! Although, I don’t typically discriminate against any nut butter:-)

Kristen @ Change of Pace — July 7, 2011 @ 7:13 am

Ohhhhh coconut! I could eat it in or on anything. Delicious!

heather — July 7, 2011 @ 7:21 am

I want this on ice cream!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — July 7, 2011 @ 7:24 am

I’ll be sure to remember to breathe while I eat this because I’m guaranteed to forget while eating something so delicious!

I love anything with coconut, but since I remember Mr. How Sweet hating coconut, I guess you’ll have this jar all to yourself :)

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Good memory! He doesn’t like coconut because of the texture, but he does like the flavor. He might like this… but I’m not sharing.

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — July 7, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Hmm, I’m not an almond butter fan at all…either. BUT, I trust you, so I may just have to try this! Chocolate does indeed make everything better.

Misa — July 7, 2011 @ 7:28 am

That looks amazing. I love almond butter, mostly because of the texture. But this is added to the top of my need to make list.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 7, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I’d say I completely agree with you. Oozing almond butter and chocolate.. you can’t go wrong with that!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 7, 2011 @ 7:31 am

i want to dive into a pool of that almond butter! i’m typically the same way with AB – EXCEPT on carrots and EXCEPT with chocolate. I’d hit both of those!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 7, 2011 @ 7:38 am

This looks divine!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 7, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter. I love using coconut oil, coconut flakes, chocolate in my nut butter. And I love that cashews get really soft yet thick.

I need to try substituting almonds like you did in yours!

It looks delish!! Or maybe just use peanuts. In the end, I am a PB girl at heart :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — July 7, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Yum! I love your spoon, too! :)

Aimee @ShugarySweets — July 7, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I don’t like almond butter either. I can’t understand the lure. Although I love broccoli and I think you are nuts for not loving it!

This though, chocolate almond butter, sounds like something I think I need to try. Thanks!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — July 7, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I would put it right on up there, right under breathing. ;-) Love it! I love how smooth it is too, every time I buy almond butter from the grocery, it’s really gritty. This looks divine. Yum!

The Teenage Taste — July 7, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Oh my gosh! I have all the ingredients on hand!

Guess what I’m making today! ;-)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — July 7, 2011 @ 8:17 am

Your pictures are awesome per usual.

I use to love almond butter but I think I may have overdone it at one point but I’m pretty sure by adding chocolate I’d be back in the bandwagon!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Thank you!

VeggieGirl — July 7, 2011 @ 8:17 am

I think OHHHHHHH YES.

Gen — July 7, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Awesome idea!!!!!! Chocolate+anything=delicious! :D

Shannon — July 7, 2011 @ 8:26 am

I WILL be making this. Chocolate and coconut and almond together?! Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 7, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I feel like if I made this I would try to sneak some peanuts in…just in case.

Molly @ RDexposed — July 7, 2011 @ 8:31 am

You just CAN’T go wrong with almond butter!

Baker Street — July 7, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Mmmm… Delicious. I love the addition of coconut.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 7, 2011 @ 8:34 am

I think I’d have trouble not drinking this like a milkshake.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — July 7, 2011 @ 8:39 am

You just knew I was going out today to get a big girl food processor, didn’t you?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Ah, are you really?! You will love it, probably my favorite kitchen appliance.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 7, 2011 @ 8:40 am

…”lick some nutrients off the stalks.” LOL!!!! Oh, skip the “good and healthy for you stuff” and just keep eating your spoonfuls! You deserve it, Jessica – you worked hard on making this yummy deliciousness!!

Tara @ The Butter Dish — July 7, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Delightfully Delicious iDea Jess.
    I’ve had homemade nut butter this and nut butter that on my to-make list for sometime and this is a wonderful idea.

I could find a reason to put this in my cereal and if I knew it would work as a toothpaste I would probably do that too. :D

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Toothpaste! Now that is something I hadn’t thought of. ;)

Krystina (Organically Me) — July 7, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Sweet Jesus, woman, is there any dessert you make that doesn’t make me want to jump through the screen and eat the entire thing?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I love that you consider this dessert and I consider it a fairly healthy snack.

• Krystina (Organically Me) — July 7th, 2011 @ 9:24 am

But, you see, I consider it dessert because I’d eat the whole jar late at night.

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — July 7, 2011 @ 8:47 am

fricking yum. That looks so good!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — July 7, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Well, I know what I’m doing this afternoon. :)

Kelly — July 7, 2011 @ 8:56 am

I go in stages…sometimes I am all about the almond butter and other times I only want PB. In it’s raw form I think it is sweeter than PB so usually when I eat almond butter I want it with something savory.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — July 7, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I feel like I say this everytime you post a nut butter recipe, but I need a good food processor. Yes, need. yum :)

Jan — July 7, 2011 @ 8:59 am

I love this! What a yummy idea!
    As a side note, the first time I bought almond butter, the woman at the store told me to have it with plain yoghurt and fruits. Yoghurt and almond butter is (to me) the worst combination ever, never will I be repeating that experience!
    This is a much tastier way of enjoying almond butter. I’m just imagining it spooned over sliced apples!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Eeeek I would NOT eat yogurt with plain almond butter either!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 7, 2011 @ 9:14 am

Well that looks insanely delicious! This may sound weird, but does it bother you that the jar gets all messy with stuff dripping off the sides for the sake of the picture? The pic is gorgeous, but I think I’d be having an anxiety attack over 1. the mess and 2. the wasted choc/coconut almond butter!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Not really since it’s my job, but I am highly annoyed when it’s such a mess to clean up. The problem is I end up licking it off everything, haha.

Taylor — July 7, 2011 @ 9:16 am

I’m with you on the almond butter – its just not my thing! With chocolate and coconut though…..I think I could get into that!!

thatssoron — July 7, 2011 @ 9:19 am

slurp!

Rodzilla — July 7, 2011 @ 9:36 am

This looks like my type of almond butter. Plain AB tastes a bit like saltine crackers, and I even found Justin’s choco almond butter kind of lack boring.

I love the added coconut. Have you ever tried coconut butter, or cacoa bliss from Artisina? Not homemade – but some of my favorite’s to buy.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I loooove Artisana coconut butter. Addicted to it!

Piper @ GotItCookIt — July 7, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Hmmm, letsee… I love almonds, almond butter, chocolate, and coconut. 6:30am here, but thinking I’ll go make it .

molly — July 7, 2011 @ 9:42 am

i am basically drooling as i type this comment. wow, that looks freaking good.

i am going to make it!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — July 7, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Hell YES this is going straight to the top of my to-make list! I am completely smitten with chocolate coconut butter, and I love almond butter… so this is the best of both worlds. I’ve been all about making my own nut butter lately, and I can’t wait to make this one!

Pooi Keun — July 7, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Oh this looks too good. Nutritional breakdown?? But seriously, will definitely be trying this one. You are hilarious and such good reading too….besides the good food.

A Tablespoon of Liz — July 7, 2011 @ 9:53 am

This looks amazing! Almond butter is by far my favorite nut butter, and adding chocolate and coconut just made it even better! (if that’s possible!)

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 7, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Looking at the first few pics, I really thought this was going to be a milkshake of some sort. Is it sad that now that I know it’s not, I still think I would like to drink it with a straw?

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde — July 7, 2011 @ 10:06 am

I am sooo in love with your pictures!
    Love macroons even if i fail every time i try to cook them
    This recipe looks amazing!!!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Thanks so much Donna!

Diana — July 7, 2011 @ 10:20 am

actually drooling on my keyboard. actually will not be able to think of anything else all day. actually going to the grocery store during my lunch break so that I can guarantee myself that I will have all necessary ingredients ready to make this tonight.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 7, 2011 @ 10:22 am

My favorite thing to eat at the moment is this amazing chocolate almond butter from Justin’s but I think you just beat the pants off them with this recipe!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

That is the one almond butter I enjoy too!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 7, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Wow, that looks delicious!!! I love all of your ideas!!

Leigh — July 7, 2011 @ 10:26 am

This would be delicious in a cupcake…or maybe as some sort of mousse/frosting. And straight out of the jar.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Sunflower Butter Obsession | That Deep Breath

2. Pingback: Homemade Maple Gingerbread Almond Butter. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: fashion friday. - meals & moves | meals & moves

4. Pingback: Pretzel Bottomed Banana Bread Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Roasted Pecan Pumpkin Butter | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter. | Lifestyle Pins