I know I tell you to make things all the time.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

That’s basically what we do here, right? I tell you, every single day, to make whatever it is I’ve taken way too many pictures of and promise that it’s the best thing you’ll ever eat. And blah blah this-is-what-I-did-yesterday blah.

Yes. I do that sometimes. It’s fairly absurd, considering I’d never share something with you that I didn’t love or think you should make righthissecond. But if I didn’t chatter away here I’d have to actually talk to real live people in my real live life and tell them in less that 654 words why this brownie slash penne slash salad is the best thing I’ve ever made. So there’s that.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Oh! Just kidding though. We all know I would never consider a salad the best thing I’ve ever made. Hardy har har.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

But this time is different, I swear.

This… you just need to make this. Obviously.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

See, the thing is that I really don’t like almond butter. Like, at all. I think it’s disgusting, tasteless, and just gross. Not my thing. Too boring? Too savory? Maybe it’s because my teeth are so inexplicably sweet that I can barely handle something that doesn’t include butter or cheese or chocolate. Maybe it’s the result of one too many swipes in the Jif jar as a child. Maybe it’s because I really just like my own homemade versions and haven’t found one to compare. Maybe it’s because I only like to eat my almonds when covered in chocolate.

Problem solved. Chocolate works miracles. Fact.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Initially I decided to make chocolate coconut peanut butter, but then I considered my options and remembered how much I adore macaroons – with their slightly crispy outside and sweet, gooey inside – made especially decadent with a quarter chocolate dipped. I could easily plow through a dozen macaroons in one sitting. Chocolate coconut: 100 points. Self control: negative 500 points.

To top things off? This almond butter is the epitome of versatility. Yesterday I had it with an apple for a snack. And after dinner, I had about 43 spoonfuls for dessert. Today I plan on spreading it on toast. I’ll probably add it to a smoothie at some point. And I might even cover broccoli with it. At the least I’ll probably lick some nutrients off the stalks.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter

makes about 1 1/4 cups

1 1/2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut (if you can only find sweetened, I’m sure it’s fine!)

1 1/2 cups raw almonds

3-4 ounces good-quality dark chocolate

pinch of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, in liquid form

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.

Spread the almonds out on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes. While almonds are toasting, add shredded coconut to your food processor and blend until it begins to break down. This will take about 5 minutes or so and will require you to scrape down the sides to keep everything moving. After the coconut begins to break down, add the coconut oil and continue to mix. Once the almonds are finished, add them immediately to the coconut and blend. I find this works best while the almonds are warm. Blend and pulse, scraping down the sides of the processor until the butter comes together. Melt the dark chocolate (I use the microwave, melting it in 30 second increments and stirring until it’s melted) and add to the almond butter. Blend until fully incorporated.

Nut butters are normally supposed to be stored in the fridge, so I leave mine out for a day or two (since that is when I’m most likely to consume it) then store it in the fridge for later use. It will get firm, so leave it out at room temperature before using if desired.

Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter I howsweeteats.com

So what do you think? I say this goes to the top of your to-do list. It’s almost as important as breathing.

139 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Macaroon Toasted Almond Butter.”

Ashley — July 7, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Oh yes. We have a winner here!! Homemade nut butters are the best. Although, you’re a good girl and store your’s in the fridge. I leave mine out, hehe. Haven’t died yet! If you turn the coconut into coconut butter and then process that with the almond butter, when you pour the drippy butter on something cold [ice cream!!!], it will turn into a magic shell!!! Please excuse me while I go retrieve a towel to wipe my mouth. :)

Julie H. — July 7, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Sweet tooth girls unite! :)

Mellie — July 7, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Oh my gosh, this looks sooo good! *drool*

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — July 7, 2011 @ 10:48 am

I want to lick my computer screen. This sounds absolutely delicious. And that little blue spoon, so cute!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 7, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Ahhh I really wish I had a food processor! This looks absolutely amazing – genius :)

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

You need one!

• Rachel — July 13th, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

Hi Jessica, what brand/model of food processor do you own?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — July 7, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Oh lawd. My warning label to myself: CAUTION: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 7, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Wow Jessica! I would eat the entire jar :)

Bev Weidner — July 7, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Oh my dear heavens of the stars of the babies – looks like a jar of bliss. I have my own version of almond butter, but adding chocolate and coconut? STOP IT. I die. Like, I’m dead, right now.

Sues — July 7, 2011 @ 11:12 am

Whoa! That photo with the nut butter oozing out of the jar? OMG YES!

Lauren — July 7, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Where do you get those cute spoons? I love them!! And the nut butter looks amazing, of course!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Crate and Barrel. :)

Angie — July 7, 2011 @ 11:55 am

If only I wasn’t at work :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 7, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I have not yet made my own nut butter but I seriously need to get on this one! Looks divine!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 7, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

This is right up my alley! I love this one

Jen — July 7, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Where do you get those spoons? I swear every blogger uses them! So cute

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Crate and Barrel!

Kaylie — July 7, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

And all these recipes are you own, right? Sometimes I wonder where these fabulous, delicious recipes come from. You have a terrific brain.

Ann Claire — July 7, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

I’m not a huge fan of regulur almond butter either, but add some coconut and chocolate and I’m sure I’d love it. For realz, I gotta try this!

Sarah Love — July 7, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

I really like to make dark chocolate almond butter and white chocolate peanut butter. My favorite thing is to heat up about two tablespoons of each…until they’re all warm and gooey, and pile them on top of vanilla froyo. I have never thought of adding coconut though. Coconut Makes everything ever much better.

Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 7, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

I originally had “make almond butter” somewhere on this summer’s to do list. I suppose with a shiny new Vitamix, I felt obligated to give it a try. However, your version just moved WAY to the top of the list. This looks amazing!! I’m sure more than 43 spoonfuls are in my near future.

Heather @ girlyeverafter — July 7, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

I feel the same way about almond butter. There’s something just not quite my style about it. Chocolate however is my style and makes anything that it’s added to better!

bridget {bake at 350} — July 7, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Whoa. Oh, those pictures ALONE are amazing…then the RECIPE?!? Can’t wait to try this!

I’m with ya on the almond butter. I *want* to like it…and I buy it every so often, just to see if my tastebuds have matured. It’s kinda like as a kid, EVERY winter, I would beg my mom to buy chocolate Malt-O-Meal. It looked so good on the commercials. And EVERY year, I hated it. (That’s my dissertation on the subject. Sorry, got a little wordy there.)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — July 7, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

I think your a genius. I’m not a fan of almond butter either unless it’s mixed with some chocolaty goodness. Now I can make my own!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — July 7, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

Well doesn’t this sound like a magical pairing! I’ve never had almond butter… though I have no doubts that I’d love this!

Jenna — July 7, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

AHHH! I have been looking for a good chocolate almond butter recipe! Does this one harden when it is in the fridge? Or do you keep it out at room temperature?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Yes, I believe that all nut butters harden in the fridge. But I usually leave mine out, at least for 1-2 weeks, and it is fine. If I find myself not eating it as much I will stick it in the fridge!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — July 7, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

And all I can think about is how impossible it must have been to clean that jar…

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Nooo… I just licked it up.

Stacie (Foodie2Shoes) — July 7, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

This looks delicious and I will be making it as soon as I finish the chocolate hazelnut butter I made this morning. I agree — chocolate works miracles and does make everything better!

janetha @ meals & moves — July 7, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

GORGEOUS photos.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Thanks Janetha!

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) — July 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Yum! I’m kind of the same way with almond butter. I don’t really like it and have only made it a few times. Peanut butter is so much better! Or I’ll make a peanut/almond butter which is always delicious!

Your photos in the post blew me away! Do you use the Manual setting on your camera or do you shoot in Auto?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Thanks Kayla! Yes, I shoot in manual.

Erin — July 7, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Wow, I love homemade nut butters, especially with fabulous add-ins like these! And I want to make everything you make every day, but I can’t keep up!

Cait's Plate — July 7, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Oh my. This is SUCH a good idea!!

Kat — July 7, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

I’m not an almond butter fan either, but good lord this looks amazing!

Karlee — July 7, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

you seriously have the best recipes, ever.

Monika — July 7, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

I think I just fell in love! No, Not you! With this yummy jar of pure sinful gooey goodness. Only problem is I have to, have to run to the store to buy this so I can make it ASAP. I don’t get off of work for another 2 hours.

Katie — July 7, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Mmm, look at that drippy goodness. I want to lick the computer.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — July 7, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Oooh, I think I might leave part of it on the shelf, and part of it in the fridge. The fridge portion would make a nice snack, and the shlef portion would be spreadable!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

That is brilliant!

mairsydoats — July 7, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

omg – it’s like a blended Almond Joy Bar!! YUM!

Amelia — July 7, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Oh dear, this looks so freaking delicious! I want this on top of ice cream. :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 8, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Love that you added coconut to all ready perfect almonds & chocolate.

Katrina — July 8, 2011 @ 1:46 am

Now this is a sexy butter! Yum!

Jenni — July 8, 2011 @ 11:16 am

You just MADE.MY.DAY! I’m allergic to Nutella (hazelnuts), but THIS I can do!

natalie (the sweets life) — July 8, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

oh yes. i want to drip this over ice cream right NOW!

Jenni — July 8, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

You are my HERO! It’s like an Almond Joy on a spoon! Thanks so much!

Rachel — July 9, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Oh man, this was so rewarding to make… when the coconut/almond mixture liquidfied, I was just like YESSSS (although maybe that was because I used a blender to do it which was a bit of a challenge…)

Lisa — July 10, 2011 @ 11:45 am

that looks insanely tasty. Im not a HUGE fan of almond butter either, but I DO LOVE Maranatha Honey Almond Butter. I did a review of it on my website, but you should totally try that one. its sweet and delicious, and trust me, I have a sweet tooth too :)
    however, I’m so trying this. As if I need to eat any more nut butter (I have about 30 jars in my closet, no joke), this sounds irresistible!! :)

Simply Life — July 10, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

oh my gosh! that looks aaaaamazing!

Jun — July 10, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

This goes to the top of my to-do-list…

Nicole and Jess — July 12, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Good wonderful evening to you. This is the best creation to be made in this house. You just made our lives so much better thanks to this. OMGITSSOOOOGOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE MAKE THIS NOW!!!!!!!!

Erin — July 16, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

I just made this. It’s like a chocolate-dipped macaroon on a spoon. *foodgasm*… I love you. Now I need to go buy bigger pants.

Janice — July 28, 2011 @ 12:44 am

Stumled upon your blog today and all I can say is “Seriously!?”. This looks insanely delicious and I cannot wait to make it. Thanks!

Rachel @ Bakerita — September 20, 2011 @ 12:20 am

Were you aware you are a mad, evil genius?
    Coconut, chocolate and almond butter are three of my favorite things. I also just happened to buy a food processor for my dorm room, and picked up some almonds, chocolate and coconut. All intended for separate uses…but this will definitely become their use. You will be the death of me.

Aeron — September 11, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

Ummm….I went and made this stuff. Like, as soon as I saw it. (Dare I admit that I didn’t even READ about it before I started planning my attack in the kitchen?) AND…IT – IS – YUMMZY!
    Merci!