This is how you make gooey, chewy, massive rainbow cookies that make everyone in life love your guts.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Lookie here! You don’t even need a mixer. You just mix all the goods with a whisk. Don’t have a whisk? Spoons work too.

Add some super cute rainbow candies… aka mini m&m’s. You could add regular m&m’s. Really… whatever floats your boat.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

This is the weird part. Roll your dough into a ball then rip it apart evenly with Hulk Hogan strength.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Bake cookies like this. Laugh because they look funny. Cry because you are ridiculous.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Not even joking. Really bake your cookies like this. It’s the SECRET.

While your cookies are baking, admire the adorable slash colorful slash overflowing bowl of mini m&m’s that you opened two bags of m&m’s for just so you could show all of your invisible internet friends what an m&m bathtub looks like.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

After your cookies bake and cool and you inevitably burn the skin off the roof of your mouth because you’re really a child with no patience, flip it over and look at how pretty it’s cookie butt is. Colorful cookie butt.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Stack up some giant rainbow cookies and set them by your overflowing m&m bathtub bowl. Pour a mason jar full of milk so you can photograph your cookies for your invisible internet friends, even though you hate milk and don’t even like to dip cookies in it.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Talk to your cookies because they are so pretty and perfect.

This recipe was sent to me by a reader, Gabrielle (Hi Gabrielle!), and as soon as it hit my inbox I knew I had to make them. I can easily say this is the best cookie I have ever made and that is no exaggeration. Ask Gabrielle… because I professed my love for her immediately like a complete weirdo.

Up until now, I have been using my fat snickerdoodle recipe… which took me hours upon hours to perfect, as the base for newer cookie recipes like my blueberry cookies and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I can say with almost 100% certainty that this will be the only cookie recipe I use for the time being… because if you can’t tell, I’m infatuated. With a cookie. Haaaalp me.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Giant Rainbow Cookies

makes 18 large or 36 small cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in the m&m’s.

Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.

Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be
soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Note: to melt the butter I simply microwaved it, and to let it cool I allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.

ETA: a few readers have told me that this is the same recipe as Cooks Illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Finally, take one single bite of your cookie since you are the epitome of self control, then neatly pack them up to share with others. Do not eat any more cookies, ever, because you are always satisfied with one bite of dessert.

413 Responses to “Giant Rainbow Cookies.”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 13, 2011 @ 9:36 am

so that’s how you get nice plump cookies and not flat, pancake depressing ones! I feel like I’ve been included in the “club” by knowing this now!

Sarah — July 13, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I’m so making these…with broken up Oreos instead. The cookie base recipe looks A-MA-ZING!

chloe @ 321delish — July 13, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I would be like a kid in a candy store with these cookies! Just looking at them makes me happy.

Sues — July 13, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Oooh I need to try that cookie stacking trick ASAP. These are beautiful!

thenailaholic — July 13, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Oh how delicious these look. I almost want to make them, but I don’t want to eat the whole batch!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — July 13, 2011 @ 9:45 am

My daughter will seriously love me…. Going to get mini m&m’s today for sure!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 13, 2011 @ 9:45 am

Mmmmmm!!! I would devour these :)

Krystina (Organically Me) — July 13, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Is it weird that I kind of want to dive head first into a bowl of mini M&Ms now? I haven’t had those in years, since I would pilfer multiple tubes at a time and eat ‘em in a few swigs.

These cookies look amazing. If I eat a cookie, I want a massive, fat cookie. None of this two bite cookie madness.

Lisa | Life in Green — July 13, 2011 @ 9:49 am

haha…I completely dislike milk too, but would totally pour a glass and take photo for the cookie’s sake :)

And dang it, now I’m going to have to make cookies. It has been soooo long since I have.

Rodzilla — July 13, 2011 @ 9:54 am

The picture of the batter almost looks like there are rice krispy treats added. That might be awesome.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 13, 2011 @ 9:55 am

These look so amazing! They might be a birthday treat to myself this weekend!

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 13, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Yay! So pretty & fun :)

Carissa — July 13, 2011 @ 10:14 am

If you ever want a super flat cookie, I’m your girl. I have been experimenting with varying ways to make chocolate chip cookies so that they aren’t flat. And now I find out that the real secret is 2 cookies in 1. I can’t wait to try this!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 13, 2011 @ 10:18 am

These look so colorful and fun! I might try to make this recipe with my 6-year-old! Cross your fingers…

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 13, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I always share the recipes you put up that I know Peter would swoon over. Today he said to me…”I married the wrong woman”. I think he loves you and wishes you could bake for him. ;)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Awwww… lol.

Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 13, 2011 @ 10:21 am

These looks great. I just added them to my baking list! Thanks!

Grace — July 13, 2011 @ 10:24 am

This would also be delicious with dark chocolate m&m’s or even pretzel m&m’s. Yummmy!

Thanks for all your great recipes: )

Erin — July 13, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Cutest cookie butt I’ve ever laid eyes on

Shanna, Like Banana — July 13, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I have been craving M&M cookies lately..thanks for sharing., And with my bad day, I could really go for a few dozen of these ;)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Hope your day gets better girl.

bridget {bake at 350} — July 13, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I should just have a folder entitled, “Must makes from How Sweet” because lately all of my must makes come from you! :) PS….feel the same way about the milk….unless it’s in a cappuccino.

Mila @ loftyappetite — July 13, 2011 @ 10:37 am

What does the stacking do? Helps it stay fluffier instead of flattening? I am intrigued…

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Yep, it results in a really soft middle!

Dan — July 13, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Hi,
    I was wondering if you had any advertising or guest post opportunities available on your site? I would love the opportunity to work with you and I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Dan Gilbert
    Communications Coordinator
    Primrose Schools
    dgilbert@primroseschools.com

kaethe — July 13, 2011 @ 10:42 am

I always read your blog… and never comment, but I gotta this time. You are so hilarious! I love it.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Thanks so much for commenting!

• Mandy — July 13th, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I concur – hilarious and witty! And your food looks amazing. You crack me up!

And um, yeah, that cookie butt is the best looking butt I’ve ever seen. Rawr.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Thank you, thank you!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — July 13, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Love mini M&M’s. Actually I just love anything min-sized… except for cookies. Can’t wait to make these into oversized cookies with mini M&M’s. :-)

cailen — July 13, 2011 @ 10:55 am

what beautiful cookies! they look positively delicious!

so glad i found your blog today – i’m lovin’ it : )
    cheers!
    cailen

HeatherChristo — July 13, 2011 @ 10:57 am

that made me laugh and laugh! And now I am going out to buy mini m&m’s and make these…. for my kids…

Cookin' Canuck — July 13, 2011 @ 11:14 am

It looks as though Gabrielle sent you a winner! My kids would give their left arms for a batch of these.

Danielle A — July 13, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Oh my gosh…Now I feel like I should bake these this weekend! Cookies sound so good right about now! :)

Laura @ Meet Virginia — July 13, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Amazing! Pinning these to make later right NOW!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 13, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Colorful cookie butt. = LOL and that is so the way my mind works. I flip things over, I look at it from all angles, I think weird and strange things about my food. It’s what food bloggers do.

My grandma used to make me M & M cookies and I have fond memories!

They look awesome, Jessica.

lisa — July 13, 2011 @ 11:29 am

I will be making these tonight for my harry potter party tomorrow!..(dork I know) hahaha

Natalie S. — July 13, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Omg! Cookie butt! That is the perfect name for the underside of the cookie! My favorite part… a little crunchier than the rest, sometimes a tiny bit burnt, but definitely the best part of the cookie. The cookie butt. You rock my world :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — July 13, 2011 @ 11:30 am

I love big, soft, m&m cookies.. They scream summer and childhood to me, even though I don’t actually think I ate that many as a kid. I have always loved m&ms though, esp peanut butter ones!

dana @ my little celebration — July 13, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Ha, you said cookie butt. Ha.

Lisa — July 13, 2011 @ 11:46 am

ok. you got me. Im making these tonight. I WAS going to go out with my friends but….your cookies have lured me in. glad to see my priorites are in line.
    haha :)

Ashley — July 13, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Gosh..it has been way too long since I’ve had a cookie!!!!!!!! I would totally cheat on the GF thing and suffer the pain to eat one of these! There is something about mini m+m’s that is purely amazing. They are much more addicting. I’m not sure if they’re slightly crunchier or what…but I love them!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 13, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Love a giant, fluffy cookie! Plus M&M’s?! yes please!

Kara — July 13, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Got here via Bridget’s (Bake at 350) facebook page. I recognized the recipe from the roll then pull apart process. But this is perfect timing and I needed an M&M cookie for an ice cream party sandwhich this weekend. Will make these – some with M&M’s, some with white chocolate. :)

Kelly — July 13, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

lol, I heart cookie butt!

thehealthyapron — July 13, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

M&M cookies are some of my favorite!

Mandy — July 13, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Neat trick with the dough stack! I shall try that next time! We always thump our cookie sheet midway through baking to get a chewy centre but this way you’d get thick AND chewy!

By the way, I could eat 8 of those cookies right now with a cup or 3 of strong coffee. I agree with you on the milk – milk is vile and what’s with the ‘milk & cookies’ thing? COFFEE.

Yum.

You are fabulous, btw.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Thanks Mandy!

Debi — July 13, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

Oh man do I ever want these cookies! NOW! Your commentary with the recipe is hilarious:) btw I would drink a small glass of skim milk with those cookies…I wouldn’t want you to waste it. Cookie butts rock! I must make them for my kids…you know the ones who are grown up and out of the house now!

Wynnie — July 13, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I think I’m in love with you. Soooo making these adorable cookies later.

Ashley — July 13, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Oh my gosh!! These are in my oven right now… I think I made them too big! Ha ha They are as big as my face! Perfect, 4 servings in one. Love it! :) Thanks for sharing… <3

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Let me know how they turn out!

• Ashley — July 13th, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

They are delicious right now, but I think the edges are going to be too hard tomorrow :( That seems to happen to me often. The edges harden up really quick, and don’t soften. Any tips?

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Hmmmm really? We still have a few left and the edges aren’t hard yet at all!

• Ashley — July 13th, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I think my oven may be too small for big cookies. I have m&ms left over, I’m going to try again with the smaller ones :) Wish me luck!

Kelsey — July 13, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

I’m not sure which I like better: you, this fantastic post, or this fabulous recipe! I’ve been craving pecans lately…I’m thinking white chocolate pecan. :)

jackie — July 13, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I am sooo making these cookies for vacation…and my husband willl FINALLY be happy because the cookies won’t be flat! Thanks a million :)

Amy — July 13, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Hey Jessica!
    I was wondering if you’ve ever tried Panera’s Toffee Nut Cookie. It is sooo buttery and it melts in your mouth (esp. when still warm :) Anyway, since you are the cookie queen, maybe you can try your hand at making it? I’ve tried multiple times and failed miserably. haha, anyway, your cookies look delicious and i love your idea of breaking the cookie in half!

p.s. Here are the ingredients if you ever choose to try.. (i got it from the Panera website)

Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter, toffee (sugar, dairy butter [milk], almonds [roasted in cocoa butter and/or sunflower oil], milk chocolate [sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, non-fat milk, milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin, salt, vanillin [artificial flavor], milk, salt), sugar, brown sugar, eggs, Brazil nuts, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract

Paige (running around normal) — July 13, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

oh now those just look heavenly! I must go buy mini mnm’s now! :)

Erin — July 13, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Those look like they would make very excellent ice-cream cookie sandwiches!! I will be making these as soon as I get back to the Burgh tonight – top of the To Do List.

Ourjourneyinfaith — July 13, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I have ALWAYS wondered how to make big plump cookies!!!!! THANK YOU!!

1. Pingback: Giant M&M Cookies « emilialiveslife

2. Pingback: The Diva’s Birthday « intermittentblogger

3. Pingback: Engagement Cookies | pienirvana

4. Pingback: M&M Cookies « B: A Lady

5. Pingback: Princess Baking Birthday Party

6. Pingback: Cooking | Pearltrees

7. Pingback: Pretzel and Peanut Butter M&M Cookies | livelovepasta

8. Pingback: Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Phantom Boot & Baking Goals « jerky and lycra

10. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: rainbow m&m cookies

12. Pingback: pretzel + butterscotch chocolate chip cookies.

13. Pingback: eating New Orleans – Patois | Living Well Kitchen

14. Pingback: Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies. | Lifestyle Pins

16. Pingback: Peanut Butter Drizzled Chewy Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

17. Pingback: White Chocolate Chip and M&M Cookie Bars

18. Pingback: Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies | 52 Kitchen Adventures

19. Pingback: Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies. | Lifestyle Pins

21. Pingback: Crazy Confetti Compost Cookies. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

22. Pingback: Photo An Hour | Perfection Isn't Happy

23. Pingback: Giant M&M Cookies

24. Pingback: Triple Berry Mojitos | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: Charlotte Wedding Planner :: Two for Tuesday | Hall & Webb Event Design

26. Pingback: Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

27. Pingback: The Best Giant, Soft, Chewy Cookie Recipe | Luv Dat Cupcake

28. Pingback: Secret Recipe Club: M&M Cookies - Badger Girl Learns to Cook

29. Pingback: Christmas Baking Time – 2012 Edition – Warm Vanilla Sugar

30. Pingback: What I Ate. « The Best Things Happen … while you're dancing

31. Pingback: Tis the Season… | Health's Angel

32. Pingback: More cookies!

33. Pingback: Christmas Cookies « Love & Renovations

34. Pingback: Fall-fetti Compost Cookies | Under the Desk

35. Pingback: Happy New Year! 2013 | After the Ivy League

36. Pingback: M & M Cookies | Pale Yellow

37. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies | lock and quiche

38. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites | How Sweet It Is

39. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites. | Food & Recipes

40. Pingback: giant m&m cookies | miki's kitchen