Let me tell you something.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

When I was a freshman in college, I once ventured to Starbucks. This wasn’t a frequent happening because 1. I didn’t like coffee whatsoever except when loaded with tons of crap and heavy cream… sort of like now, and 2. there wasn’t a Starbucks on campus. Clearly I went to college in the stone age.

One night my friends and I somehow hitched a ride (not literally, but you know) to Starbucks and that’s when I saw it on the menu: mocha coconut frappuccino. [um, how is "frappuccino" not recognized by spell check? for serious? spell check needs a makeover... gotta get with the times.]

I.almost.died.

Two of my FAVORITE ingredients combined?! Who cares if I didn’t like coffee – at any rate I was ordering white chocolate mocha frapps once or twice a year, drinking half and trashing them. With mocha coconut I would FOR SURE finish it. Holy dreamboat.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I ordered one.

I sipped.

I almost fainted.

I slurped it to the bottom.

I almost wet myself from excitement.

I literally almost wet myself from drinking 48 ounces of diuretics and sugar.

I became poor.

[I should also mention that this was the same year I bought a $98 sparkly black belt with my dad's credit card. Uhh... that turned out about as good as you are envisioning. Because, you know, it's not like HE WAS PAYING FOR MY EDUCATION OR ANYTHING. Not sure why I didn't think "belt" would show up on the Express monthly statement, but when it did... let's just say that I'm still suffering hearing loss from the shouts through my red Nokia phone.]

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Starbucks became my new favorite place. But it wasn’t like I was there all the time. It wasn’t on campus + I didn’t have a car + I still didn’t love coffee + coffee made (and still makes) me have humongous anxiety/buzz/jitters issues. I feel like a freak on drugs.

Until one day I walked in and… it was off the menu.

What the what?! I couldn’t believe my own eyes because I figured it HAD to be a popular drink. Seriously, I was jacked. If I had any semblance of a backbone, I may have called and complained. Instead I just didn’t go to Starbucks for like six years and developed a nasty rice krispy treat addiction. Not even joking. These babies were the size of my head.

Imagine my delight when my cousin told me last week that she had a mocha coconut frappucinno! YES. My prayers had been answered. Now… I just needed to figure out how I could add $6.00 to my daily food budget and an extra 800 calories.

Or… just make my own.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I’m sure the regular mocha coconuts have coconut syrup in them, so this isn’t quite as coconutty, but I can promise that is gets 98% close. The best part? COCONUT MILK WHIPPED CREAM. I knew that Ashley had made this before and when I texted her in a frenzy from the grocery store, she assured me it would work. And that it did.

We have a layer of chocolate fudge, a pour of caffeine, a healthy glug of coconut milk, a blob of coconut whipped cream, freshly toasted coconut and a chocolate fudge drizzle. Oh mylanta.

Just make sure you use a deliciously flavored coffee, such as fudge brownie or macaroon to heighten your experience. And don’t use something wacky like strawberry. Because then it will just taste… weird.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees

[copied from Starbucks using my iced mocha recipe + ashley's coconut whipped cream]

makes 1 serving

5 ounces brewed coffee, cold

1/2 cup coconut milk [your choice: lite, full-fat, or the refrigerated kind]

3 tablespoons chocolate syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons toasted coconut

1 can COLD full-fat coconut milk

2 tablespoons sugar

Brew coffee and let cool – this can work with leftover morning coffee, or I suggest making some at night and once it cools, putting it in the fridge overnight. However you want to do it, as long as you have cold coffee, you are set! I still have not tried cold brewed coffee but I know I need to.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or using a bowl and an electric hand mixer), add cold coconut milk and sugar. Beat until peaks form and you have the consistency of whipped cream – about 6 minutes. Mine did not get quite as thick as regular whipped cream and was still a bit runny – but I have no patience. It was still delicious.

Fill the bottom of your glass with 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup, then add ice cubes. Pour in coffee, then coconut milk, then vanilla, then sugar and mix well with a spoon. Add in some toasted coconut if you wish.

Add 1-2 tablespoons of whipped coconut cream on top and another tablespoon or 2 of chocolate syrup. Drink up!

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Please try. I promise it is worthy of all the CAPS LOCK and exclamation points peppered throughout this post. [!!!]

220 Responses to “Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees.”

Katie — July 29, 2011 @ 10:25 am

This was the best story, I loved reading every word. And this also looks like the best drink – I’ve never had it at Starbucks, but I’m sure yours is better. Definitely more accessible.

Also, I had the same red Nokia.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:55 am

We are twins! Now can I have your baby? Holy cuteness.

Emily — July 29, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Loved this post! I’m a bit of a Starbucks addict myself….

Okay, but seriously, coconut milk whipped cream?? Awesome! That has to make your version even BETTER than Starbucks!

Kristin — July 29, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I work at Starbucks and I am 100% with you on this one. Coconut is my new favorite syrup. And trust me we come up with some odd sounding drinks usuing it. Passion tea lemonaids with coconut instead of classic? Sounds weird I know but it is super delish. Im just so sad that it is still only going to be seasonal :( I dont know what I am going to do without my carmel coconut frappuccino drowning in carmel drizzle and keeping itself warm with a nice thick blanket of coconut flakes. I guess I can just bring your recipe to work with me and then charge all my fellow employees $5 to know the seceret ;)

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Wait… Are you joking?!? It’s STILL seasonal?? Arghhhhhhhhh!!

• dawn hyde — July 29th, 2011 @ 11:33 am

haha, hi kristen, i did not see you had already mentioned the caramel! also, you are right, it is delish in the passion tea. you know you can add mocha & coco syrup to the whip instead of vanilla… and make something you will drool over. ;)

Samantha — July 29, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Oh gosh. I love you. The end.

lacy — July 29, 2011 @ 10:40 am

i want this so badly right now… we need them after a walk when you get back!

Ashley — July 29, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Oh mylanta is RIGHT. Coconut coma!!! I love what you used the coconut whipped cream for!!! Pretty amazing, no? :) Toasted coconut is honestly one of the most amazing ingredients ever. My dad makes “snowballs” with vanilla ice cream, homemade gooey sticky family recipe chocolate sauce + toasted coconut. TO DIE FOR…as I assume this tasty beverage is as well. xo! Thanks for the shout out!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Ummm next time I come over your dad needs to make those.

Mansee — July 29, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I use to work at Starbucks, and I remember we use to sell bottles of our syrup to customers who asked. I think they were like $7.95 or $9.95 BUT they would last forever. If you want extra coconutty flavor maybe you can ask and see if they’ll order one for you or give you one from the back? It might be worth a shot! Or sometimes Willams Sonoma has random coffee syrups too..they might have coconut.

Or you can just continue to be awesome and improvise this way. Either way, I am SO making this tomorrow morning. Or in 3 hours, when I leave work. Whatevs.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Sweet!! Thanks!

Cait's Plate — July 29, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Haha – I know – those drinks can break both the calorie and the actual bank. This looks WAY better than the ones I’ve seen at Starbucks so I say keep on keepin’ on with what you’re doing :)

Julie @SavvyEats — July 29, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I am now feeling a strong desire to go work from Starbucks today… maybe I will if my headache goes away :)

mere... — July 29, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I am in love with all drinks flavored with coconut! I remember in college when I learned that Starbucks was discontinuing their coconut syrups I had a serious conversation with the barista about letting me buy the last 2 full bottles of flavor syrup from him. I am so excited to see that I can make this at home!

AlbeeLucky — July 29, 2011 @ 11:24 am

I can’t wait to try this. I was instantly hooked on the Starbucks version. Thanks so much for posting this. It’ll will be a treat to have this weekend… and maybe during the week :)

xx- AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

dawn hyde — July 29, 2011 @ 11:28 am

dirty confession- i am a barista, be-otch of the siren…
    i make a gazillion “coffee slushies” a day. i can tell you right now, this is a ton better!
    for an added giggle, slobber on some caramel, ya know like a samoa girl scout cookie…
    wallow in the goodness.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood — July 29, 2011 @ 11:47 am

I’ve never tried their coconut mocha frappuccino, but I tried their pumpkin spiced latte and I was 100 and 10% percent addicted. I tried to recreate my own at home but that was a major fail.

Luckily for me, I have a vast variety of flavored coffees so this will definitely be next on my “To-Make” list ;) Thank you!<3

Lisa — July 29, 2011 @ 11:52 am

omgg starbiess<3 I love the cinnamon dolce latte, and I heard AMAZING things about the mocha coconut iced coffees. So, I should probably thank you now in advanced for saving me 5$ a day. :)

Rj — July 29, 2011 @ 11:57 am

I don’t really like giving out my email but this site is awesome and your very pretty (not creepin tho) hahaha I love your recipes and crazy ideas do you like cheesecake or anything with pumpkin? Pumpkin is my all time favorite

Sorry for my spelling I still suck and im in 9th grade haha

Molly — July 29, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

I love the mocha coconut frapp! It is one of their favorite drinks. In the fall, I count down the days to the Pumpkin Spice Latte, which is also amazing.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 29, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

Holy Frappacino! These look wonderful. Perhaps with a little rum or vodka for Friday happy hour?!

• connie — July 29th, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

A delightful idea!! Malibu Rum–would it conflict with the wonderful coconut?! Worthy of a try :)

Malia — July 29, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

That sounds really good, I wonder tho to bump up the coconut flavor if you could use the creme of coconut, ala CocoLopez or something. And adding the caramel definitely sounds worth it. I love your site, I think we share the same brain wavelengths or something! :)

Ali @ the [un]refined chefs — July 29, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

YUMMMMMMM! I want one right now.

Ashley — July 29, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

I am obsessed with these at Starbucks!! I love the toasted coconut/whipped cream/chocolate combination on top…mmmmmm. I love the idea of adding carmel. I will be making this all the time now. I get all hyper/jittery/heart racing when I drink coffee too.

Please support me as I walk 60 miles in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure! Visit my personal webpage at http://tiny.cc/9nwdw

natalie (the sweets life) — July 29, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

ha recently i made granola bars inspired by this drink (http://www.thesweetslife.com/2011/07/mocha-coconut-granola-bars.html) which ironically enough i’ve never actually tried…but thanks to you, now i can from the comfort of my kitchen! :) i’m pumped!

connie — July 29, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

OK, I have “admitted” to my *buck addiction long ago! I not only love the darkest of dark coffee flavor but I also rationalize that we have way too much fun in the morning (you know, with the regulars and the best barista’s ever!). I have tried to maybe make coffee at home but it is NEVER as grand as our morning visits . . . but THIS I will try! I even have a bag of espresso blend–unopened, of course–and I think I better go on and make this today! I have already finished my iced Americano so I certainly hope this won’t push me over the edge! THANKS for sharing :)

Cassie — July 29, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

Hands down that is my FAVORITE drink at Starbucks. I must make this!

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 29, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

omg love this!

AllieNic @Frisky Lemon — July 29, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

LOVE! I always use that So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk stuff in my coffee…SO GOOD. It would definitely be tasty with chocolate syrup…and maybe a little cinnamon!

RhodeyGirl — July 29, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

And now I’ll be going to Starbucks for a frappuccino :)

Amber — July 29, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

toasted marshmallow syrup anyone?? monin.com has more flavors of syrups than you can imagine or would ever think possible

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — July 29, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

My only question is…When am I going to make this?! Oh and am I going to put Kahlua in it too? :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 29, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

So glad you reinvented your favorite drink :) Looks wonderful!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 29, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

coconut… mmm coconut. I’m right there with you, and I loved your college story!

Alaina — July 29, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I LOVE this!! When Starbucks was having their happy hour one week, I bought the skinny mocha coconut frapp…twice…and it was UNbelieveable! Like a melted almond joy. Hmm, maybe a splash of amaretto would work in that. ;-)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) — July 29, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Other then the coconut (i’m not a coconut fan in the least bit!), this looks great!

By the way, you’re pictures have a way of making me hungry after I’ve just eaten lunch…haha! :)

Have a great weekend!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 29, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

You never cease to amaze me!! And I LOVE the pictures! Gorgeous!

stephchows — July 29, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

OMG this is amazing! I need one now!! You are a rock star!!

Melisaa — July 29, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

Coffee + Coconut ~ I think I just died and woke up in taste bud heaven!

Meryl — July 29, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Ahh! So weird! I woke up this morning with the strongest craving for a Starbucks mocha coconut iced! I convinced myself that I could get it if I went to the gym, so I did lol. The one day I don’t look at blogs right after I woke up! Could’ve saved myself the four bucks! Deff remembering this for next time!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — July 29, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

bahahaa college in the stone age…you are TOO much…can i come over now? thanks :)

Kathleen — July 29, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

This looks totally amazing!

Kim Bee — July 29, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

This makes me wish I like coffee. It looks so amazing. Might try it for the hubs.

Melissa — July 29, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

This is my kryptonite. Thank you. And I mean that.

Molly @ RDexposed — July 29, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Same thing happened to me! I found a warm coffee drink that I liked but it was upon the next visit a few weeks later that it was nowhere to be found on the menu!!!

Dominique — July 29, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

I had one of these for the first time a couple weeks ago. I saw it advertised in a magazine and pointed it out to the BF while pointing to my belly. 500-calories later I was a satisfied customer. It reminded me of a coconut creme pie with a kick of coffee. Sooo good! I cannot wait to try out your recipe.

Dwiana — July 29, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Any kind of drink with coconut count me in! I love it!!!

Ashley — July 29, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

This is my favorite Starbucks drink too and my story is just like yours! I did not like coffee until I met the Mocha Coconut Frap, while I was in college. And I was also SOOOO upset when they discontinued it. Maybe we were the only 2 who ordered it! So happy to see this recipe. I definitely plan on trying it. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — July 29, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

holy crap. seriously. that’s all i have to say – to everything about this post. the $98 belt. the frap. the coconut. the mocha.

expect me in your kitchen in the morning. i’m leaving now.

Kristen — July 29, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

I am so excited to see this post! I became addicted to this drink while visiting Puerto Rico a few years ago and had one (sometimes two) every day while I was there. I returned home to learn this was a seasonal drink and was so disappointed. Now I am excited that I can have it whenever I want! Thanks Jessica!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 29, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

That belt story is too funny!! Love this recipe. As a coffee lover, this is one I will definitely be trying!

Baking Serendipity — July 29, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

I love this! My favorite drink just became more affordable :)

Nicole — July 29, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

I can’t wait to try this!!

Kristen — July 29, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I love this recipe! My husband and I are living paleo and I am avoiding dairy because my little breast fed guy is allergic so this is a perfect way for me to enjoy an iced coffee!!! I use coconut coffee creamer every day!