Have you ever bought something… say, like a package of cookies… or a pint of phish food ice cream… or a bag of peanut butter m&m’s… or a container of smashing s’mores from Trader Joe’s… and ripped into the stash before you could even unload the rest of your groceries? Like say… in the car?

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And maybe even… eaten the entire bag/pint/container… ? No?

Neither have I.

Phew. Glad we got that out of the way and realized that we have yet another thing in common. This is the best relationship ever. Communication people. It’s all about communication.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

So, since I still have the entire container left *cough cough* of those Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores that I bought last weekend, I decided to recreate them in anticipation for the day when I eventually do *cough cough* run out. I like to plan ahead. Get all my ducks in a row if you know what I’m saying.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And you know I love a good s’more, well… a good s’more ANYTHING. If deemed appropriate I’d gladly just shove one marshmallow (okay, maybe two), a chunk of chocolate, and a graham cracker in my mouth then breathe really heavy to make it warm and chew. Don’t be grossed out. S’mores are messy. It’s just their thing.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really know why Trader Joe (he is a person right?!) calls these little s’more bites “smashing,” but I like it and I like him. And I like everything else he makes. So you should make a smashing s’more. It’s cute. It’s slightly bigger than bite-size. It’s the perfect size that looks like it will fit in your mouth but then when you actually try you make a huge arse out of yourself because you have to open your mouth as wide as possible and then try to chew and yeah… you know. But it is 100% worth it because these are awesome and even better – you can make one or seven or 39 at a time. Oh! And they are easy too. Easy peasy.

If you really want to go all out, you could make your own graham crackers like my friend Ashley once did and then make your own marshmallows too. This way you could make even tinier smashing s’mores (but um… why would you want to?) and ones more uniform in size that can actually fit in your mouth. And maybe you could have a bit more patience than me and make them prettier so they aren’t a slop pile mess.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I personally think they are the perfect snack to mindlessly pop while you watch Teen Mom and that other really intellectual show that makes you use your brain. Oh and if you want to pop this in the microwave? You are smart. Do your thang. I approve.

I’m blurry. Don’t mind me. My photographer was too busy chewing.

Smashing S’mores

copied after Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores

makes however many you want

marshmallows

graham crackers

chocolate chips or bar chocolate, melted

Melt a tiny bowl of chocolate to use as “glue.” Melt more chocolate (I used about 1 cup of chocolate chips) in a deep glass or mug to make it easy for dipping.

Break grahams into fours, then cut or snap each slice into squares. Use a dab of chocolate to “glue” the squares together, then add one more dab on top of the top graham and press the marshmallow down. Let sit for 30-60 minutes (or place in the fridge for about 15 if impatient) or until the grahams and marshmallows are “stuck” together. Using a thin fork or long pointy tool (I used a fondue dipped) and press it into the top of the marshmallow gently. Dip it in the chocolate and cover as much as you can. Remove and let set on wax paper, adding more chocolate to the top if you’d like.

I stored mine in the fridge but they are fine at room temperature too!

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

If smashing s’mores aren’t your thing, then maybe you can make some brownies or bars or throw s’mores in a jar or even make a pie. And if s’mores just aren’t your thing, well then… I don’t even know you anymore.

144 Responses to “Homemade Smashing S’mores.”

Lora — July 22, 2011 @ 9:45 am

I think the whole “smashing” word comes from old movies- I mean, haven’t you seen the black and white movies where the men say- “that’s just smashing darling!” It’s got to be a term of endearment, so when applying that to s’mores makes total sense :) Another example would be- Jessica, your blog is simply smashing! See- term of endearment :)

Andrea @ From the Bookshelf — July 22, 2011 @ 10:31 am

These look so yummy! Can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing!

Paula at Dishing The Divine — July 22, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

First off all, your post is hilarious. A great way to start my day. :) We’re *all* guilty of snacking some *cough, cough* food before we get home. Secondly this idea is sheer brilliance and I want it. Now.

Ashley — July 22, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Teen mom! ha! Sometimes my husband watchs with me. He gets into and we have long conversations about how much Kaitlyn’s parents suck and how sweet Macy is!

jenny moran — July 22, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

oh my goodness! those look so delicious and easy enough for me to make ( i’m so not the cook ). thank you very much for sharing!

Shereen — July 22, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I’m making these for a camping trip/birthday this weekend and I’m going to melt some skor bars for some of them and put sprinkles on them. I’m so excited!

sweetsugarbelle — July 22, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

I love this!!! I’ve been on a Nutella s’mores kick. Loving this!

Whitney M — July 23, 2011 @ 11:36 am

These are so delicious!! They didn’t last very long at my house. Thanks for this recipe!

Joanna @ Southern Daisy — July 23, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Wow! This has got to be one of the most awesome things I have ever seen! I’m definitely going to have to try this. My husband will love it too! Thanks for sharing!

~Joanna

Hilary — July 23, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

Anything s’mores is ok by me…and these look cute and delicious…winning combination!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 24, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

Oh my… These are dangerous! I’m tempted to go make some right now. I think I have all of the ingredients in the pantry. :)

Amnah — July 31, 2011 @ 9:50 am

You are seriously the funniest food blogger I’ve ever come across. Your posts always bring a smile to my face, either through the hilarious post or the amazing food. But typically both. And I’ve NEVER eaten an entire package of smashing s’mores. *Cough, cough* Ever.

Can’t wait to make these. And I think I love you.

Rachel — August 16, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Hey How Sweet It Is!

These little bites look super delicious- so delicious, in fact, that I put the idea on my own blog! Check it out here:

Lee — November 1, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

Hi, I always have a problem with chocolate. What kind of chocolate do you use? Choc bars or baking choc? Do I need to temper them?

George Zervas — October 8, 2012 @ 11:36 am

These look great!! I cannot wait to try these. I would like to make an eliquid in this flavor for my electronic cigarettes.
    4everecig.com

webpage — September 3, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

Remarkable! Its genuinely amazing piece of writing, I have got much clear idea on the topic
    of from this post.

ego cigarette — March 27, 2014 @ 4:27 am

ok, care here, you will find much pleasantly surprised: