I’m going a little crazy with feta… and tzatziki… and Greek stuff in general.

Have you noticed? Didn’t think so. I know I tend to fly under the radar like that.

Maybe I was Greek in my previous life? Because I really can see myself laying on a sparkling beach with a dark Adonis-like fellow and drinking wine while using a sand shovel to eat baklava. I can see how you might be confused as well, because sitting on a couch in a Pennsylvania suburb with my Adonis-like, red-headed husband watching Despicable Me is almostexactlythesame.

Hello you big bowlful of deliciousness.

I have a legitimate problem on my hands. I, for the life of me, cannot stop making the creamy feta. I make it at least once a week (sometimes twice) and always have it in the fridge because it’s so fabulous as a snack, on sandwiches, on bagels, and on, well… everything.

The only reason this poses a snafu in my little life is because if you are unaware, blocks of feta aren’t the most economical purchase I can make at my local grocery store. And when you’re buying two blocks… and sometimes four blocks a week… yeah. It’s a bit excessive. There I said it.

So what’s a feta freak to do?

Find a reason to buy even more of it at the store. And layer it up with a bunch of other Greek stuff like olives and artichokes and hummus. I’m obviously getting to know my Greek food, with all these fancy words like “stuff.” Someone get this girl a thesaurus. Sheesh.

Over Memorial Day weekend, my aunt made a delicious layered dip quite similar and it has been on my mind ever since. And then the feta ensued and now I have what appears to be 13 pounds of layered Greek dip in my fridge. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?! Send help.

I’m going to take a dip.

Seven Layer Greek Dip

makes one giant bowlful, probably serves over 10 people

1 1/2 cups hummus of your choice

1 15-ounce can of kalamata olives, drained and chopped

1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

1 large tomato, chopped

1/2 large cucumber, peeled and chopped

1 batch of creamy feta (or 4 ounces of plain feta, crumbled)

1 1/3 cups greek yogurt

3 tablespoons fresh dill

1 teaspoon olive oil

3 tablespoons chopped cucumber

1 garlic clove, minced

salt and pepper

Begin by prepping the ingredients for the creamy feta, if needed and set aside.

In a bowl, combine yogurt, dill, garlic, 3 tablespoons of cucumber, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix. Grab a large bowl or plate and begin layering ingredients: the yogurt tzatziki, the chopped olives, the hummus, the chopped artichoke hearts, the crazy feta, and the tomatoes and cucumber. You can layer it however you’d like and use other ingredients to make it your own. I did sprinkle my cucumber and tomato with some salt and pepper for flavor, but the rest of the dip was VERY flavorful since I used the crazy feta. Serve with pita chips or use in wraps and sandwiches.

Note: if you want to make this dip even more enjoyable, you could add some ground lamb!

P.S. This is totally healthy too. Like… REAL healthy. Not it-has-nuts-which-have-protein-so-I-pretend-it’s-healthy healthy. That’s a good thing. Now go buy two full bags of pita chips to devour it with. You’ll want – I mean, need – both bags. Trust me.

181 Responses to “Seven Layer Crazy Greek Dip.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 6, 2011 @ 7:02 am

tzatziki, hummus, baklava, it’s allllll good!

I love love artichoke hearts, and cucumbers, and tomatoes (I eat one per day, at least!) and this whole ensemble is just music to my ears.

I can tweak it, too. Thank you for the inspiration :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — July 6, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Oh yea, just dip with some baked pita chips and your Greek feast is complete! And make them whole wheat, that’s really healthy :)

Please please please make baklava. That syrup, the layers of deliciousness….

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I would eat the entire pan if I made it! Maybe for the holidays this year…

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 6, 2011 @ 7:04 am

yum!! I love the idea of making a Greek layer dip instead of guac, beans and mexican cheese. great idea!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 6, 2011 @ 7:07 am

If it is healthy and I eat the dip for dinner, do I have to share?

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Never!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — July 6, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Anything that gives me an excuse to eat pita chips, and I’m in! :)

Karlee — July 6, 2011 @ 7:15 am

oh my gosh yummmm i love all these things.

Cait's Plate — July 6, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Mmm – anything with feta and I’m sold :) Love the idea of the artichoke hearts! And I totally agree, you can’t have a dip without at LEAST a bag of pita chips ;)

Gen — July 6, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Yummy!!!!!!!! Recipes like this make me miss American grocery stores…..we don;t get hummus or feta here! :(

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 6, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Ohhh yum. I need to find a reason to make this. Why must my boyfriend hate olives and feta? I’ll probably have to make it just for me…and then buy new pants. I should probably just stock up on muu-muus now if I plan to keep reading your site.

Sara — July 6, 2011 @ 7:26 am

I’m thinking you need to make a Greek-inspired pizza… that would be fabulous!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength and Food — July 6, 2011 @ 7:28 am

O.M.G. This is definitely getting made today. Like, right this minute.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 6, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Holy cow that looks good — Kalamata olives are a gift from God — and it sounds like crazy feta is too!

Rachel — July 6, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I would love to make this….but my anti-Greek food family would leave me to eat the whole lovely thing by myself. I think there it is a genetic deformity. On vacation, I was eating my hummus listening to my family (eating hamburgers … as a snack, mind you) screech like little girls – “Eeeewwww!”……Well, you see officer, they slammed on my main man hummus and his buddy tzatziki and they deserved a killin’ ;)

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — July 6, 2011 @ 7:36 am

This is SUCH a great idea!! It would be awesome to have in a wrap too. I loooove tzatziki.

Nice one, Jessica! :)

Erica — July 6, 2011 @ 7:38 am

What a great idea! I love Mexican layer dips and I think I’d like this even more (minus the olives). Delicious combo. Genius!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 6, 2011 @ 7:38 am

goodness woman. if i wasn’t leaving town tomorrow i’d be making this in a heartbeat. i wouldn’t even be mad at the stomachache that would ensue!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 6, 2011 @ 7:44 am

You go through feta like I go through carrots – FAST! I swear the people at the grocery store must wonder what the heck I do with them, and they probably have a name for me like the carrot lady or something. This dip sounds awesome!

Aimee @ShugarySweets — July 6, 2011 @ 7:48 am

I’m totally starting to love greek food. That looks delish! It says it serves 10 people, I’m on my way!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — July 6, 2011 @ 8:13 am

What a unique idea, I love this twist on seven layer dip!

Kim in MD — July 6, 2011 @ 8:15 am

You had me at crazy feta! This looks amazing, Jessica! I make a similar layered Greek dip, but your addition of greek yogurt, dill and crazy feta (I use plain feta) make this dip over the top delicious! I am making this for my next party- I don’t trust myself alone with it! ;-)

jenna — July 6, 2011 @ 8:16 am

this looks amazing

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — July 6, 2011 @ 8:17 am

That looks awesome! Epic even!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 6, 2011 @ 8:24 am

Love this Greek dip! Fun with all the layers :)

Bev Weidner — July 6, 2011 @ 8:31 am

MAMA! I mean really. REALLY.
    Stop it now.
    Dying.
    DEATH BECOMES ME.
    …lovelovelove…

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 6, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Jessica,
    that’s SO funny that you mentioned Despicable Me because I just mentioned it in my comment on Joy’s post!! Greek is crazy, but crazy GOOD!!! It would be SO easy to just sit on the couch for the afternoon with that gorgeous bowl of dip and some chips, watching movies and forgetting about housework and other things that need to be done…
    Can you pass the dip, please?

Genie — July 6, 2011 @ 8:46 am

WOW! This looks beyond amazing!

Kelly — July 6, 2011 @ 8:49 am

13 pounds?! haha!!

Jennifer @ Jane Deere — July 6, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Great party dip! I guess I could share. This sounds awesome!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — July 6, 2011 @ 8:57 am

What an excellent idea!! I love all these components – why not combine them! I’m making this next time I have a party…otherwise, I’d eat all 13 lbs myself!

Adrienne — July 6, 2011 @ 9:03 am

I’m almost afraid to make this crazy feta you speak of because I feel like my kitchen will soon be drowning in it. This dip looks fantastic by the way :D

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers — July 6, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Feta makes everything betta’, and your recipe is no exception. It looks great!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 6, 2011 @ 9:09 am

With a legitimate Greek husband I think I need to try this at home asap.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — July 6, 2011 @ 9:11 am

what a genius alternative to 7-layer-Mexican dip. Not that I don’t love me some Mexican dip, but you have to show love to the dips from other regions of the world too, it’s really just about equality. I should probably make both this weekend.

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Yes you should.

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — July 6, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Greek food is the best! I would gain about 9873492 pounds if you left that dip in front of me :)

bridget {bake at 350} — July 6, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Oh Jessica! This is SO SMART!!! I love it! Going to the top of my must-make list!

brandi — July 6, 2011 @ 9:21 am

love this! we did a greek spin on layer dip a few months ago, too – totally forgot about it!

i’ve got to make this crazy feta.

Julie H. — July 6, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Ummm…. I like the problem you have. Keep this ‘Greek problem’!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — July 6, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Take out the cucumber and you could put that on a pizza.

Actually, you could swap the cucumber for bacon….

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Like!

Diana — July 6, 2011 @ 9:23 am

this looks SO amazing and absolutely perfect for a party I am going to this weekend – thank you for helping me trick my friends into thinking I am a domestic diva (and probably liking me more post-eating this snack!)!!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — July 6, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Yum this sounds fantastic, I wish this could be delivered to my office for lunch :)

Angie Walker — July 6, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I am a Mediterranean NUT!! This one is definitely going in my Saved Recipes. YUMMM-O!!

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 6, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I have one hummus and pita chip loving husband who will want to send you a big thank you for this. But he’s not here, so I will. Thank. you.

Tara @ The Butter Dish — July 6, 2011 @ 9:37 am

It’s really hot outside today Jess and cool Greek food sounds really excellent right now. I bet this is delicious with a spoon, on flat bread or even in a Gyro. hmmmm has me thinking lady!

beautiful! ☺

Krystina (Organically Me) — July 6, 2011 @ 9:42 am

This is the dip dreams are made of. I want to bathe in it.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — July 6, 2011 @ 9:43 am

It is okay to eat this with a spoon, by yourself, in one sitting?! LOOKS AMAZING!! Greek food is the the absolute best and gorgeous Greek men are right up there too ;-)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 6, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Wow this looks great, all my favourite foods layered together :) Great job!

Erin — July 6, 2011 @ 9:50 am

OMG this looks so good. There is something you need to try its called guacamus. Its guacamole and humus mixed together! A restaurant sells it here in town but I have never seen it in a store.

• Jessica — July 6th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I’ve had it before!! LOVE it. I’m pretty sure Trader Joe’s makes some too!

The Café Sucré Farine — July 6, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Love anything Greek and this looks just amazing! I think I could eat this for lunch or dinner and be happy as a clam!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 6, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Oh YUM! Everything is always better in layers! I love the surprise in the next layer! This looks beautiful and delicious!

Jenna — July 6, 2011 @ 10:11 am

This sounds fantastic.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: inspired {7.10.11} « beka.g.photography.

2. Pingback: Love at First Bite · Summer Party Favorites

3. Pingback: Double Dips « nth Street

4. Pingback: Women's Health News: What We're Reading This Week | WH This Just In

5. Pingback: Herb Gorgonzola Crusted Artichokes with Parmesan Hollandaise | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Double Dips « taylor page foley

7. Pingback: VA is for Bloggers- Mocktail Party « btypes

8. Pingback: Seven Layer Greek Dip - Weight Watchers | The Slender Kitchen

9. Pingback: Seven Layer Greek Dip – Warm Vanilla Sugar

10. Pingback: Ready for Game Day? Our Favorite Super Bowl Recipes. An Appealing Plan

11. Pingback: Who cares about winning the Super Bowl, we’re wine-ing! wino(t)

12. Pingback: Quilting With Margaret » Abbie’s Recovery Means I Can Return to Quilting