Hi there.

BBQ Portobello Sliders I howsweeteats.com

Let’s talk.

I love dinner right now. Like… really love dinner.

I thought you should know.

In fact, I might just eat dinner for breakfast today. Tomorrow too.

BBQ Portobello Sliders I howsweeteats.com

In between bites of cake and massive meltdowns related to the 16 ice cream cones I consumed in the last 8 days, I managed to make the dinner of all dinners.

And dinner has a vegetable. Again!

BBQ Portobello Sliders I howsweeteats.com

Isn’t it exciting how in two days time I’ve posted a dish with veggies that aren’t really veggies and am acting like I’m the biggest veggie lover of all time? Yes yes. I think so too.

I made these fun guys Sunday night in a regular size. But everything tastes better in a mini version, so I made them again. And again!

Too bad my dinner of all dinners still wasn’t dinnery enough for the meat-inhaling husband of all meat-inhaling husbands. He looked on with envy and dripping drool but refused to bite the bullet because his meat-inhaling man brain took over. He almost ate one as an appetizer but then decided he “didn’t want to waste the calories” and instead had two pepperoni pizza-stuffed soft pretzels made in the microwave while he grilled 3 chicken breasts smothered in Louisiana Lickers. Riddle me that.

Oh well. You won’t hear me complain about a food surplus.

BBQ Portobello Sliders I howsweeteats.com

Normally I would tell you that the most ridiculously scrumptious part of these sliders is that gooey gouda rectangle slipping off the top, but not today friends. What sets these babies apart are the mini sourdough rolls that I decided to grab last minute, tossing the whole wheat buns to the side like a big bad stalk of broccoli. Chewy on the outside and soft on the inside, these buns chomped the baby bellas right up just like Pac-man.

So did I.

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 red onion, sliced

2-3 ounces gouda, sliced into squares

1 avocado, sliced

1/2 cup bbq sauce, for drizzling and dipping

Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and let caramelize, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, then turn off heat and set aside.

While onions are caramelizing, brush mushrooms with remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with pepper, paprika, onion and chili powder. Heat a skillet ( or a grill) on medium heat and cook until mushrooms are juicy and tender – about 5 minutes on each side. With 1-2 minutes remaining, add a slice of gouda on top to melt.

Assemble sliders by placing the mushroom on the bun, then top with onions, avocado, and a hefty drizzle of bbq sauce.

Note: if you can’t find slider buns in your local store, just buy dinner rolls. I did this for years before grocery stores actually started selling slider buns!

BBQ Portobello Sliders I howsweeteats.com

Seriously considering running to the store to make these for breakfast. Not even joking.

126 Responses to “BBQ Portobello Sliders.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 10, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I think I could actually get my husband to eat portobello mushrooms with these sliders. And yes, I’m glad you decided to toss the WW for sourdough, clearly superior here! yum!

Mandy@Withmilkandflour — August 10, 2011 @ 7:10 am

These are adorable and they look delicious! Beautiful photos.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 10, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Jessica these are adorable and they look amazing! These are a slider that I can totally get behind!! But I may have to pick off the onions and add extra ketchup :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 10, 2011 @ 7:25 am

So cute!!! And vegetarian!!!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 10, 2011 @ 7:32 am

These are too adorable! I’m totally on board for a meatless burger with avocado & ketchup :D

Blond Duck — August 10, 2011 @ 7:40 am

These would be perfect for my blog burger party on Labor Day! :)

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — August 10, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Gorgeous. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 10, 2011 @ 7:44 am

“I’m the biggest veggie lover of all time” – fake it till you make it, right!? :P Mr How Sweet is hilarious… and definitely missing out on some very tasty action! I wouldn’t judge you for running to the grocery store to buy more mushrooms to make these for breakfast.. I’ve been known to make early morning grocery runs – usually for salsa!! The employees probably think I’m crazy, but I don’t mind. :P Have a great day Jess!

Blog is the New Black — August 10, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Lloyd will NEVER eat this- so I’ll gladly eat his portion.

Brittany — August 10, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Those look amazing!! But what might be more amazing is that veggies can look so good. I might even put those up against a cupcake…..well, maybe. Maybe not :)

Gen — August 10, 2011 @ 8:02 am

Cute food is always the best! And because they’re small, they have no calories, right? :D

Kelsey — August 10, 2011 @ 8:03 am

These look amazing!! They would make a lovely dinner :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 10, 2011 @ 8:03 am

those buns are SO adorable! i love sliders, and if nate doesn’t want his i’ll take ‘em!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — August 10, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Ahh, the buns are so cute! I loooove mushroom burgers. I didn’t start loving mushrooms until last year, and thank god for that. Delish.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — August 10, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Love that these are vegetarian friendly. They look so tasty and super cute! Huge fan of sourdough…yum…

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — August 10, 2011 @ 8:09 am

I LOVE portobello mushrooms – I prefer them to meat!

Kelly — August 10, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Perfect!

Laura — August 10, 2011 @ 8:16 am

These are cute, and they look tasty. I will have to make them all for myself since my husband will not touch any type of mushroom. Maybe these will start to cure that?

The Teenage Taste — August 10, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Portabella mushrooms have my heart! I love those little suckers! :-P

Laurie @SimplyScratch — August 10, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I love these!! Sliders are way more fun than regular burgers!!

Kim in MD — August 10, 2011 @ 8:28 am

These look AMAZING, Jessica! I love mushrooms, and just last night I made a pasta version of your carmelized chicken with mushrooms-delicious! I have a package of those baby portabellas in my fridge right now. All I need is some rockin’ slider buns and I will have lunch! :-)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — August 10, 2011 @ 8:31 am

I hate to have to tell you this, but technically speaking, avocados and tomatoes are both actually fruits.

Anywho, these sliders look DELISH.

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

haha… did you read my post yesterday?

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — August 10, 2011 @ 8:37 am

These would be a great dinner or appetizer, OR breakfast.
    Lynne <—- wondering what vegetable Jessica will be posting about tomorrow, but hoping it doesn't get to be a habit so that she doesn't have to change the name of her blog! ;-)

allison @ thesundayflog — August 10, 2011 @ 8:47 am

YUM! as a vegetarian, i am always sick of people trying to make a veggie burger look like a juicy and delicious hamburger, but this might just do it! i starred it and im sticking it on the menu for our family vacation in cape cod. thanks as always :)

Sneaky Vegan — August 10, 2011 @ 8:58 am

YUH-UHM!!! Would love to feature this on my Sneaky Vegan blog – I’m not actually a vegan, but I’ve been fascinated at how many “real food” recipes are vegan without even trying. Can I share it with my readers? Pretty please? With cinnamon sugar and a brandied cherry on top? :)

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Sure!

Jenna — August 10, 2011 @ 8:58 am

ohhhh my this looks so juicy! heaven!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — August 10, 2011 @ 9:02 am

YUM! I love that you made the slider vegetarian! These look so tasty!

Cait's Plate — August 10, 2011 @ 9:06 am

I don’t even know if it’s fair to call that a veggie dinner. I don’t want people to unfairly judge it…it’s just SO, SO much more.

Amanda Marie — August 10, 2011 @ 9:07 am

Mmm, looks great! Glad to see a vegetarian dinner recipe on here! And isn’t kind of weird that eating breakfast for dinner is normal, but no one eats dinner for breakfast? I don’t think I could do it; eating BBQ before 10 AM doesn’t sound good to me. But by all means, go ahead and eat these for breakfast, we won’t judge you!

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I have bunches of veggie dinners! They are under the category side dishes/ vegetables. :)

Maria — August 10, 2011 @ 9:20 am

LOVE these sliders! I can’t wait to make them, maybe for a party:)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 10, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Those are seriously the cutest sliders I’ve ever seen. My husband actually loved portobellos so this one might be a winner!

steph@stephsbitebybite — August 10, 2011 @ 9:39 am

These are so adorable! I’m actually making sliders tonight! I was at TJ’s and saw their mini hamburger buns and squealed at the utter cuteness of the little buns!

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Oh I love those ones too! They have little sesame seeds, right??

• Steph@stephsbitebybite — August 10th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Yes ma’am! I brought them home and showed them off to Lucas…he looked at me like a freak :) Guys just don’t get it

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — August 10, 2011 @ 9:57 am

You are on a roll with these veggie recipes! Keep them coming! Although I still think I would rather have a better than crack brownie for breakfast. ;)

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Yeah me too.

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — August 10, 2011 @ 10:00 am

“Didn’t want to waste the calories.” Hahaha I’m dying. Love it. This recipe looks great btw- I didn’t realize they were mushrooms at first- score!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 10, 2011 @ 10:05 am

How did you know I had a package of baby portobello’s in my fridge?! I’m totally making these for dinner :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 10, 2011 @ 10:11 am

those are so stinkin cute!! i love the buns too they look so doughy on the inside and crusty and delish on the outside YUM! I WILL have those for breakfast for realllssss

Claire Campbell — August 10, 2011 @ 10:18 am

They look amazing!!! x

Katie — August 10, 2011 @ 10:32 am

The last portobello burgers of yours that I made changed my life. Meeker’s too. He now proudly proclaims that he loves “mushroom burgers” – must find these little babies and make sliders. It means you get to eat five, right?

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I think they changed my life too!

Kristina @ spabettie — August 10, 2011 @ 10:42 am

yep, the sourdough HUG you’ve given these really does complete them – YUM.

Ashley — August 10, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I’m pretty sure in that last photo the slider is saying EAT MEEEE!!! Oh man, these look fabulous!!! The sourdough buns look great. I had sourdough bread from the market that my stomach didn’t hate me for recently…so maybe I can actually eat these with a bun! :)

sarah k b — August 10, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I don’t even like mushrooms and I want to eat these sliders! They are just so effin cute :)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — August 10, 2011 @ 10:52 am

There is NO shame in that…. Do what you want! Go get em’ girl! They look good enough to eat ANY time of day!!!!

Ashley — August 10, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Now this is my kind of dinner! Yes! :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 10, 2011 @ 11:07 am

I can’t stop eyeing the rolls. I need them. Now. It’s the carboholic in me talking.

Cait @ Cait hates Cake — August 10, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I saw these mushrooms at the grocery store the other day and was debating about buying them, but thought I should find a good recipe first. Ding ding!

Carissa — August 10, 2011 @ 11:36 am

We looooove mushrooms, especially in sandwiches. Can’t wait to try these!

Nicole, RD — August 10, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Those look soooo good! Those slider buns look perfect!

Aggie — August 10, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Ok. This is the most delicious thing I’ve seen all day. I’m totally craving.

Carly — August 10, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

This sounds so good! I’ve recently become obsessed with mushrooms after trying the stuffed ones at Maggianos. I’m not a big fan of onions so I might add bacon! haha

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

I think bacon would be FABULOUS!

Heather @ girlyeverafter — August 10, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I love, love, love gouda! This would be good as breakfast. In between two biscuits with an egg, delightful! My mouth is watering, clearly lunchtime!

• Jessica — August 10th, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

You have me drooling!

1. Pingback: Peas and Thank You Cookbook Giveaway! | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: BBQ Sauce | Mon Mon's Nom Noms

3. Pingback: Better on the Home Front « pinkbriefcase

4. Pingback: Recipe Review: BBQ Portobello Sliders

5. Pingback: Easy Beer Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: to: stomach, with love.

7. Pingback: Game Day Recipes | Life @ Trillium

8. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Cooking up a Storm | Nat's Distractions

10. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

11. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is