Hiiii.

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I was up waaaaay too late last night.

Every Sunday I’m hooked deep into HBO programming and before I know it, it’s 3AM, I’ve watched and rewatched multiple series’ episodes because I need to and I’m solidly invested in three TV relationships because seriously, it has to be real life. Like, I don’t even like vampire garbage but could Eric maybe just wear that leather coat and black jeans and visit me or bring me breakfast in bed or something (?) and I’m really wondering how the heck I can wake up and be Sookie in that crazy red number she wore last night and still eat an entire pie?

Very, very important things kept me up. I just couldn’t keep that to myself.

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

I mean, I write this blog for one reason.

To tell you that fantastic food can be easy and fun! Right?

Well, and maybe because I need to talk to someone… anyone. All the time.

And because you totally understand why Eric and Sloan need to get back together and really, I know I’ve said it before but what in the world is going on with Ari and Dana and why do I like it so much?!

Annnnnd maybe because I’m hungry. All the time.

Have you ever been hungry alone? Not fun.

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

And I’m all about sharing.

Well, honestly, I’m not. I hate sharing desserts. Unless we’re ordering six of them and I have adequate dessert to fill my plate and make me nauseated after the incoming sugar bomb. In that case, by all means… share away.

I just think that food tastes better when I tell you about it. It’s all kinds of magic happening. <– Yeah that!

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

In related news… I made some enchiladas. Actually, I made these enchiladas here four weeks ago. But don’t worry, because I’ve already made them two more times.

They are lovely. A little spicy. A little cheesy. All the things dreams are made of. Perfectly filling for your Monday. I’m gonna make them again tonight and eat them while I watch more reruns and pretend I live inside the TV. Fun!

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas

adapted from my BBQ chicken enchiladas

makes 8 enchiladas

8 large whole wheat tortillas (my favorite are La Tortilla Factory!)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

28 ounce can red enchilada sauce

1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (+ more depending on your tastebuds)

1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

5 green onions, chopped

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour enchilada sauce in a bowl and begin by whisking in 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce. Taste and adjust according to your desired level of heat – I added in 1/2 cup total. Set aside.

Add shredded chicken to a bowl with 2 green onions and 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese. Pour in about a 1/2 cup of enchilada/buffalo sauce mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir until mixture comes together.

Pour a drizzle of enchilada/buffalo sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Take each tortilla and fill it with a few heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Roll each up and set it in the baking dish, seam side down. Pour another 1/2 cup or more of enchilada/buffalo sauce on top of tortillas and add remaining monterey jack cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Immediately after taking enchiladas out of the oven, add crumbled gorgonzola on top. Garnish with the remaining onions and cilantro and serve. Store the remaining sauce in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, and use if reheating enchiladas.

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas I howsweeteats.com

You can come too. Just bring dessert.

167 Responses to “Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas.”

Jenni — September 3, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

Well, I made a few alterations… used a little less chicken because that’s what I had, and was planning to add some beans to even it out. But, was out of beans as well! So, I tried something strange. I had a couple of zucchini in the fridge, and I grated them and added to each enchilada before rolling it up. I’m allergic to onions, so had to skip that part. I also could not find enchilada sauce in the store, found chili sauce, I don’t know how similar they are but that’s what I tried. After blending the sauces, I wasn’t crazy about the taste, so added some dark sweet barbecue sauce to the mix.

I also had a ton of swiss cheese on hand, and decided to shred that and use it rather than buy more cheeses.

So, lots of alterations! Oh, I bought the “large” tortillas, and there must be an in-between size, because these were way too big. I had to put them lengthwise into the baking dish, which was a 9×13 – I think the tortillas are 12″. So, I could only get 5 in there, and just stuffed them pretty full. Pretty tasty!

Thanks for the idea for something different!

Oh, for the person who couldn’t shred the chicken, I’d never done this before and read about it ahead of time. What worked best for me, was to bake the chicken in advance, in a foil-covered baking dish with a little butter and a few tablespoons of water. Then, I left it overnight in the fridge, and while cold, it was very easy to use a fork to scrape the chicken so that it shredded very finely. It was much easier to do than I expected!

Thanks again :)

• Stephanie — January 11th, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

I found an easier way to shred chicken! Put 3-4 breasts in your kitchenaid mixer with the flat paddle blade and pulse it from about 5-6 back to off several times for about 30 seconds and your chicken will be perfectly shredded! :)

kimberly — September 3, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

i made these earlier in the week and LOVED them! used rotisserie chicken (basically bc im lazy lol) and would of added black beans (but i forgot in the excitement to get them made). they were fabulous and will definitely make them again….and again….and again :)

Jamie — September 14, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

These were delicious! I made them for friends that are very particular about their Mexican food and even they enjoyed them. I have passed the recipe along many times. I’m trying them tonight with bell peppers mixed into the enchilada filling. Thanks so much! I love your blog!

Heather — November 3, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

This was dinner tonight and it was excellent! I didn’t have any canned enchilada sauce, but it was pretty easy to make from scratch while the chicken was cooking, only took about 15 minutes with ingredients that most people have in their pantry, just fyi!

sherrie dollar — November 8, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

made this for dinner. posted a pic on your fb page. WOW!!!

Katie — March 21, 2012 @ 3:27 am

What is your advice on freezing these?

Debbie Rogozinski — April 9, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I have been drooling over your blog for a while now and made these for lunch today. My husband and I LOVED them. Thanks for the recipe – I’m glad I found you!

Cassie — April 26, 2012 @ 2:40 am

Okay. 1. I live in Kenya (working for the US Gov’t), 2. I want to make these but I think I only have GREEN enchilada sauce. Would that be disgusting?

• cindy — June 18th, 2012 @ 4:06 am

I don’t think it would be gross, but if I only had green enchilada sauce, I would buy some GREEN hot sauce. I know that back in the states, they sell green hot sauce in the Mexican/ethnic food aisle. If you cant find, any green hot sauce, I would suggest making your own “red” enchilada sauce. I found this recipe for red enchilada sauce, and it’s simple! Here it is. http://www.food.com/recipe/texas-red-enchilada-sauce-42094 Good luck!

Jessi — May 4, 2012 @ 4:27 am

Made these last night….amazing. I did add some corn to the mix and put some tomatoes on top too when it came out. Pretty sure it is one of my favorite meals now!

PS….love your blog!!

cindy — June 18, 2012 @ 3:58 am

These enchiladas were great! I made them for my husband’s work and he says they were a hit! I didn’t get to try them, but I did have some of the filling, and it was good! I did make a few minor alterations that I believe made them a little better. First of all, I marinaded the chicken (overnight) in hot wing sauce (Frank’s) and I sprinkled in some Montreal Steak seasoning. This turned out great because when I cooked the chicken, it was soooo flavorful! :) Secondly, I did not poach the chicken, but rather I cooked it in a frying pan. I also cut it into chunks intead of shredding the chicken. I wound up only adding 1/4 cup of hot sauce to the enchilada sauce because for one, I bought “hot” enchilada sauce and secondly, I did marinade the chicken in hot sauce overnight. Thank you for a great recipe, my husband wants me to make it again tonight! :)

Jan — January 28, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

This looks amazing! I’d love to serve this at my bf’s Super Bowl party, but I’m thinking about adapting it to be a buffalo chicken dip so it’ll go further- any suggestions?

Whitney — March 19, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

I made these last night to have for lunches this week. THEY ARE SO GOOD. I did not alter it at all (except I added in about 3/4cu hot sauce instead of 1/2cu) and they were amazing. Even more amazing re-heated the next day (who would have thought?). Seriously this might be the best meal I’ve ever made. Thank you for sharing!

momosmommy — April 8, 2014 @ 11:05 am

I made these last week and they are AMAZING! I like how there’s not too much sauce and the addition of gorgonzola on top was an unexpected surprise that tasted really good. I’m adding this to my recipe rotation now. My husband really liked them too. Thanks very much for your contribution.