Hickory dickory dock

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

this blog post is such a crock

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

1 teaspoon lime zest

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/3 cup flour [I used whole wheat pastry]

2 tablespoons olive oil for frying

additional honey + lime zest mixed for drizzling

60 minutes before cooking,season tilapia filets with salt and pepper then lay in a baking dish or into a large ziplock bag. In a bowl, combine olive oil, honey, lime juice and zest, and crushed garlic and whisk until combined. Pour over tilapia and let marinate for an hour. Add flour [+ a bit more salt, pepper, and lime zest] to a bowl and set aside.

Heat a cast iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet) over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Dredge each piece of tilapia through the flour until you have a very light coating. Making sure the pan is hot, add tilapia to the oil and cook until flaky and crispy on each side – about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove tilapia from pan and let drain on a paper towel for a few minutes. Serve with an additional drizzle of lime + honey, then cover in blueberry lime salsa.

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

so make it and then we will talk. K? #yum

110 Responses to “Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 4, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Where’s the end of the hickory dickory dock!? Not that this tilapia recipe isn’t a sufficient ending, I was just expecting a rhyme ;)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 7:05 am

The last line of the post – I didn’t want to repeat!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — August 4, 2011 @ 7:02 am

This sounds delicious…I want to give this recipe a try! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — August 4, 2011 @ 7:05 am

Love tilapia- honey lime sounds grand! This would go perfectly with my blueberry infused vodka lemonades! ;)

bakingblonde — August 4, 2011 @ 7:14 am

I have been looking for another fish recipe to try this summer, sounds great!

Jessica L. — August 4, 2011 @ 7:15 am

If I come to your house will you make this for me? It looks so delish.

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Why yes… yes I will.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 4, 2011 @ 7:27 am

that looks so perfect! I love fish that’s lightly crisped AND the honey making is lightly sweetened, perfect!

and tilapia is 1. low in mercury and 2. affordable making it even more of a great recipe!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — August 4, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I like your song. :-)

Blond Duck — August 4, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Delish!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — August 4, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Yum I love tilapia! Great way to introduce the recipe with the song!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 4, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Mmmmm…looks like the fancy fish version of chicken fingers :-)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 4, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Looks delicious as always — I’ve tried your honey chicken and honey tilapia sounds so good!

The rhyme was nice too!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — August 4, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I’m still working on trying to learn to like fish. I’ve heard tilapia is a good place to start, and this sounds good so definitely bookmarking for later. :)

• Barefoot Pregnant and In The Kitchen — August 4th, 2011 @ 7:53 am

I’m the same way!! Tilapia, haddock, and halibut I’ve found I can handle without the ‘fishy’ taste. Tilapia is by far my favorite.

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 7:45 am

I am trying to cook more fish at home. I think we will have to try this next week! Looks fabulous!

Barefoot Pregnant and In The Kitchen — August 4, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Tilapia is one of the few fish I will eat. I don’t make it all that often either. This looks amazing! And with the blueberry salsa on top YUUUUMMMM.

Blog is the New Black — August 4, 2011 @ 7:50 am

A fish recipe even I may like!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 4, 2011 @ 7:51 am

hahahaha – girl, i feel ya! i’m scrambling for words this morning too :)

Anitra — August 4, 2011 @ 7:56 am

and i just said yesterday i wanted fried fish, this it is then, thanks!! :)

Jessica @ idkmybffjes — August 4, 2011 @ 8:08 am

That looks delish…but I’m not a fish person.

How do you think it would taste on chicken?

Miranda — August 4, 2011 @ 8:10 am

This looks fabulous!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 4, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Oh yummy!! I think you should set up a little fish and chips shop in some cute little coastal town on a beach… you’d surely sell out of this dish every day and be set for life!!! (Perhaps you could even serve bacon for breakfast!?)

Christine — August 4, 2011 @ 8:17 am

honey lime sounds like a delicious combo….i’m curious if u think pastry flour adds anything special to the dish…I wouldn’t have thought to use it as a breading ingredient. Thanks!

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Nope, I just use it as a sub for all-purpose flour sometimes!

Shereen — August 4, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I have tilapia in my freezer right now, and I was just trying to figure out what to do with it! Although, do you think it would still taste good without dredging it in the flour mixture?

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Oh yes, it just probably won’t be crispy.

Kim in MD — August 4, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I knew I spied tilapia yesterday! This looks so amazing!

For those of you afraid to try fish, tilapia is really (in my opinion) the mildest, non-fishy tasting fish out there. My children love it, and it really is a blank canvas for what ever flavors you like- sort of like white meat chicken! It also cooks in a flash!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 4, 2011 @ 8:32 am

I love fried white fish, reminds me of living in Spain. My host family would make it once a week. We never had blueberry salsa though to go on top!

kaceyt @ om&nom — August 4, 2011 @ 8:33 am

looks fabulous! i’m hosting a dinner party on sunday evening and this very well may have to be on the menu!

VeggieGirl — August 4, 2011 @ 8:37 am

You’re a poet and you didn’t know it :D

Sues — August 4, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Yumm! I’m not a big tilapia person, but THIS look awesome. I kind of need it right now…

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — August 4, 2011 @ 8:42 am

bravo! for the poem and the fish! :)

Laura — August 4, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Haha! You hashtagged your blog! That’s #awesome!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — August 4, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I was wondering what they salsa was going to be served with! I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong with fruit salsa and flaky fish. Plus since it looks so healthy it means I could totally eat more cookies afterward. Win!

Kelly — August 4, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Wow! This looks amazing. I love tilapia but honestly get sick of eating it the same way over and over again. I am bookmarking this. Thanks Jess and happy Thursday!

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Same to you. :)

Cait's Plate — August 4, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I think any mouse running up a clock with that at the end is one lucky mouse :)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Hahah!

Lisa | Life in Green — August 4, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Mmmm. Love me some tilapia. So pretty though might be a crime to eat.

Katie — August 4, 2011 @ 9:45 am

I just bought tilapia from TJ’s! I’m totally making this this weekend, it looks awesome!

nancy k — August 4, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I love tilapia and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. I really like the frozen tilapia loins sold at Costco. The package contains about 8 loins which are are individually wrapped, thaw in a flash when soaked in cool water and are thick and substantial. After reading this recipe, I knowwhat I will be having for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Jenna — August 4, 2011 @ 10:00 am

what a lovely fast dinner idea! i love the idea of using your blueberry salsa as a topping.

Kelly — August 4, 2011 @ 10:06 am

That looks seriously delicious. Perhaps I’ll add it to my menu for next week.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — August 4, 2011 @ 10:12 am

What a great use for the blueberry lime salsa!

Bev Weidner — August 4, 2011 @ 10:23 am

HA!

Holy moms of all babies, this is my favorite. Tilapia, will you marry me?

l.o.v.e.

Devon {Confections of a Food Bitch} — August 4, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Tilapia is one of the few fish that I’ll actually eat… So I may have to make this.

Or adapt it to chicken ;)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I think it would be good on chicken too!

Ashley — August 4, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Wow!! That’s is perfectly battered + golden. Impressive! I would like a spoonful or 5 of that salsa on my oats!

Jenny T. — August 4, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Fish is my ultimate favorite meal. Thank YOUUU! It is 9am here and I feel like I could still eat that right UP!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — August 4, 2011 @ 11:30 am

You’re totally entitled to a crock post. I can relate. And I love fish!

Mary (What's Cookin with Mary) — August 4, 2011 @ 11:31 am

I looove crispy fish. …and topping it with that sinful salsa… oh yeah! Question: when you reheat the fish (I assume you do bc you probably made this long before dinner time?) do you micro it or put it back in the oven? I hate when the crispy coating gets mushy …

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Nope we actually ate it right after I made it! I wouldn’t suggest making it to reheat because it won’t stay crispy – if you have leftovers they will still taste good just not be as crispy. I would probably heat them in the oven for a few minutes.

CouponClippingCook — August 4, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

What a nice combination…to top the fish with that delicious salsa. Sounds like a great match.

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — August 4, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

uhh YUM. I’d like to come over to your house for dinner… mmmk? :)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Anytime. :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 4, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Annnd starring this recipe. Think lemons would have the same effect or taste OK too? I have a bag of lemons, but not a lime in sight. It’s a shame, considering I do have tequila ;)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

I think so! Add a little first then taste. :)

Shannon — August 4, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

Oh Wow. That looks really awesome. I bet it would work for chicken nuggets too, however, I do need more ways to prepare fish. This one is going on my “must have” list!

Brigitt — August 4, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Hi! I just wanted to say that I’m pretty new to your blog, but I love it and it’s now on the short list of websites I open every morning while enjoying my coffee. It totally inspired me to start my own food blog (no where near as good as yours, but mayyybe one day?!). Thanks!!

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Thanks a bunch! And I just checked out your blog – it’s gonna be great! Love the idea.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — August 4, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Wow that is GORGEOUS. I love looking at a food and just knowing exactly how amazing it tastes.

• Jessica — August 4th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Thanks!

1. Pingback: » Flaky, sticky, and sweet Goofy Can Cook

2. Pingback: Recipe: Blueberry Lime Salsa | Foodbeast

3. Pingback: What's for dinner? - Page 81 - CurlTalk

4. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday |

5. Pingback: bye bye august | things after the rings

6. Pingback: Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia | Recipes

7. Pingback: a truthful weekend « What Kelly Said

8. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: what to make this weekend | spill the beans

10. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

11. Pingback: Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia | Home Recipes Catalog