Hickory dickory dock

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

this blog post is such a crock

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

1 teaspoon lime zest

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/3 cup flour [I used whole wheat pastry]

2 tablespoons olive oil for frying

additional honey + lime zest mixed for drizzling

60 minutes before cooking,season tilapia filets with salt and pepper then lay in a baking dish or into a large ziplock bag. In a bowl, combine olive oil, honey, lime juice and zest, and crushed garlic and whisk until combined. Pour over tilapia and let marinate for an hour. Add flour [+ a bit more salt, pepper, and lime zest] to a bowl and set aside.

Heat a cast iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet) over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Dredge each piece of tilapia through the flour until you have a very light coating. Making sure the pan is hot, add tilapia to the oil and cook until flaky and crispy on each side – about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove tilapia from pan and let drain on a paper towel for a few minutes. Serve with an additional drizzle of lime + honey, then cover in blueberry lime salsa.

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

so make it and then we will talk. K? #yum

111 Responses to “Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia.”

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 4, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I would never have guessed that it was tilapia hiding under there yesterday!

Alaina — August 4, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

I love tilapia! And that berry salsa with it looks amazing! :-)

Katie — August 4, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Send me some fresh tilapia and I’m all over this recipe. Fish in CO just tastes…well, fishy. And freezer burned. So, I’ll have to come visit you so I can eat this. And the million other recipes I want you to make for me. ;-)

Dee at Deelicous Sweets — August 4, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

This looks amazing! Even without your witty story I will still bookmark this recipe :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 4, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

How da ya know I was looking for some new tilapia recipes? Love it because it looks beautiful with all those colors and because it sounds so good!

Natalya — August 4, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

This sounds great! I can never think of interesting ways to make tilapia so I never buy it. Can’t wait to try this :)

Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com — August 4, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Been looking for new ways to prepare tilapia. thanks ;)

Rach — August 4, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

How do you always know what I’m craving? This just looks delicious!

Pretty. Good. Food. — August 4, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Simple, but fantastic!

Anitra — August 5, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I know you dont really mean to do it, but your recipes are very kid friendly! My son, 10, can be the pickest eater in the world. But I made this last night and he was upset that there wasn’t anymore left and was I mking it again tomorrow, and if not then sor Sunday dinner! He was the same way with the crispy chicken. thank you so much and keep them coming! Now if only you liked vegetables I would have the ulitimate trifecta. :)

• Jessica — August 5th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Awesome!! :)

Leah — August 5, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

This looks amazing! Making it soon.

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — August 5, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

I love tilapia but I get bored so quickly of it because it’s always – bread it, fry it, eat it. This looks amazing. I’m pinning it on my new love – pinterest.

Jennifer Drummond — August 6, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Just came from Trader Joe’s and picked up fresh Tilapia, so I can make this yummy looking dish. As I type this, my fish is marinating, 30 more minutes to go and I get to eat it!! I can’t wait!! Wanted to make the salsa to go over top and I have all the ingredients but the avocado, so that will have to wait another time. Thank you for having so great dishes!!!

Christine — August 7, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

We made this with chicken and your salsa and it was a party pleaser! We did grill it tho…but the lime marinade really shone through esp.with the salsa on top! I served it with ur marinated strawberry salad too with a honey balsamic dressing…needless to say we had an awesome delicious dinner so thank you!! Def a good go to when I wanna try something interesting and pretty!

Katie — August 8, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

I made the tilapia with the blueberry lime salsa over the weekend for me and my boyfriend. We love to cook together and cook most nights. This recipe will be added to our rotation. It was DELICIOUS. I had some of the salsa left over because I made enough for 4 meals and we only made enough fish for the two of us but I plan on using the salsa over some Greek yogurt tomorrow morning for breakfast.

I visit your site every day. I love it!

• Jessica — August 8th, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

So glad you liked it!! :)

Jaimee H. — August 9, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

this was DELISH!!!!!!

Lisa G — August 9, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I just stumbled across this recipe and the timing is perfect! Tilapia is on our menu for this evening and I was hoping to try a new recipe! Looks delish!

Sara — August 10, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Ha! I pinned this eariler then came to read my reader feeder lol… and low and behold look what I found! I can’t wait to try this out. looks so yummy!

Terry — August 11, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Made this for dinner tonight with the salsa – entire family LOVED it!!! Should have taken px, but they were gone too fast – thanks for another fabulous recipe!

Emily — August 23, 2011 @ 11:41 am

I loved this recipe. I adapted it a bit for my tastes and served it with lime wedges and peach salsa. It was delicious! Gorgeous photos, as always :)

Francesca — August 25, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Made this last night! Amazing! I didn’t buy all the ingredient for the salsa so I just diced up an avocado, mixed it with lime juice, salt, and pepper, and it was all just very delish. My boyfriend loved it!!

Anicena — August 29, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

I made this just awhile ago! I could not find any limes at our local store, so I just used lime juice alone. It still turned out absolutely amazing! Thank You! <3 <3

Nicola @ unhip squirrel — November 15, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

This post totally cracked me up…. and I’ve totally been there. :)

Julia — February 17, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

You’re a poet and didn’t even know it… ok, maybe you did.
    I woulda never thought to make tilapia like this. But it sounds freaking awesome!

jessica lynn — May 30, 2012 @ 4:27 am

Made this last night and LOVED it! We eat a variety of fish multiple times a week, so this is definitely going on our rotation. Next time I need to try it with the blueberry salsa :)

Angie L — July 30, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Plan on making this tonight for some yummy fish tacos….. Have you ever baked/broiled it, to cut down on the use of oil, my hubby hates frying things… .?? .

Becky — January 16, 2013 @ 11:25 pm

I tried this tonight – AMAZING! I didn’t make the salsa, but I will try and do that next time. Even my extremely picky 3 year old ate all of his! Thanks for posting!

Amazed — January 27, 2013 @ 5:43 pm

You are probably tired of the comments but this is an amazing simple recipe,
    I enjoyed it very much.

Christina — January 16, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

Found this on pinterest and decided to try it for dinner. Unfortunately the store I visited had run out of the fresh tilapia they had on sale. So I decided to try the recipe with orange roughy. It still turned out delicious. Made the salsa as well but I had put it in the fridge before dinner and didn’t like the cold salsa on my fish. But it was wonderful as a snack with tortilla chips. Great recipe, thanks!

ShannyMarie — June 4, 2015 @ 9:43 am

Made this last night with Speckled Trout (actually a type of Drum fish). Gulf Coasters will know what I’m talking about. It was AMAZING!!!!! Great Recipe! Thanks!