Can we make a deal?

If you come to my house and do some of the things I accidentally on purpose neglect… like wipe out the shelves in my fridge after spilling a half cup of cornstarch on them (it happens) and dust things like every single crevice in the house and throw away old magazines with the promise of losing 8 pounds in 3 days and maybe… maybe even clean the hair out from my shower drain (?)… I will totally love you forever.

And also make you breakfast. Because I know… that whole drain thing is skeevy.

Some days I’ll make you pancakes and others I may make you muffins. And on the occasion that we drank four too many mojitos during the best sleepover ever the night before, I may just serve you a piece of stale cake (I’m really bad at the whole saran wrap thing) and then go back to bed until dusk. I’m sure you’ll understand.

If I have time, which let’s face it: I always have time for food, I’ll even make you this whole slop pile mess of potatoes, bacon, zucchini and leftover grilled corn… cut off the cob from our dinner before the best sleepover ever. It’s reallllllly spectacular. Frying things in cast iron skillets makes them 34 times more delicious. Now you know. Life lesson #145.

The thing about breakfast is that… ding ding – it works for dinner too! So if your schedule doesn’t jive with mine? If you can’t make it over first thing in the early morn to scrub my bathroom floor with a toothbrush (yeah seriously)… you can come later and eat this for dinner. See? I always have my thinking cap on.

Especially when I grill corn for dinner. I’m always thinking.  Always thinking enough to grill three or four extra ears because nothing is as scrumptious on your lunchtime salads, burritos, hashes and pizza than caramely kernels that take less than 30 seconds to heat. Mmmm mmm.

I promise this hash (not that hash) will make up for the cobwebs you’ll find in the corners and the mildew you’ll find on just about, well… everything.

It’s chock full of crispy potatoes and soft, sweet and juicy peppers and onions. Some zucchini is in there too because… it’s summer! Have you heard? And obviously the caramely kernels are the best part because who doesn’t like vegetables that taste like candy?

I’ll top it with an egg because you deserve it. Mimosa on the side too.

Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash

serves 3-4

4 slices of bacon, chopped

4 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped into cubes

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 medium zucchini squash, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 red pepper, chopped

2-3 ears grilled corn on the cob, cut off the cob

1 teaspoon olive oil (you may not need this)

2 green onions, chopped

3-4 large eggs

smoked sea salt + pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add chopped bacon and cook until crispy and fat is rendered – about 4-5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Add potatoes with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bacon fat and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring and tossing every few minutes. While potatoes are cooking, heat another skillet on medium high and cook your eggs as desired, then set aside over low heat.

Add peppers and onions (and another little sprinkle of salt and pepper) to potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring. At this time you may need to add the additional teaspoon of olive oil depending on how much bacon fat is left. After 5 minutes, add in the zucchini and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring. Turn off heat, then stir in grilled corn and bacon. Top with sliced green onions. Serve with an egg on top.

Note: I haven’t tried it yet but I’m assuming you could possibly pan-roast your corn before frying the bacon. Also, you can use any kind of corn, though the caramelized kernels are the best!

Now can we talk about my shoe closet? I’ll make you a breakfast dessert to tackle that one.

102 Responses to “Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash.”

Kathryn — August 15, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I make my boyfriend clean the shower drain because just the thought of it makes me feel physically ill. I can’t wait to reward him this weekend with this breakfast though – it looks immense.

heather — August 15, 2011 @ 7:03 am

I LOVE breakfast for dinner, which means I’m all over this! Freakin’ deee-lish.
    I agree, cast iron cooking makes food a bajillion times better.

bakingblonde — August 15, 2011 @ 7:06 am

Puting this on my recipe list for next week!

Erica — August 15, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Fresh corn off the cob rocks. The whole mix looks amazing. I will def come clean for you

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 15, 2011 @ 7:08 am

It looks soo good and the 1st big pic of the skillet, I love that shot! It’s so VIBRANT. All the colors are popping off the page.

And if I made this for Scott, he’d be soooo happy. He is Mr Eggs & Bacon. But I havent made him any in about 8 years :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 15, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I love the idea that this can work for any meal of the day. I would also come clean for you for some of this, some cupcakes and a couple of mojitos!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — August 15, 2011 @ 7:22 am

This hash looks amazing! I don’t often eat eggs for breakfast… but like you said, bfast foods are fair game for dinner ;). Corn is one of the summer veggies that I miss the most during the cold months, so I need to make this before fall comes.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Eggs always taste better for dinner, don’t they??

Bethany @ More Fruit Please — August 15, 2011 @ 7:32 am

You might be my favorite person for thinking of adding corn to breakfast! Corn and eggs sound like a great combo to me!

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — August 15, 2011 @ 7:42 am

YUM. I’m so making this…tomorrow. Today, I am too lazy. But tomorrow it will be mine.

Danielle — August 15, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I wish this had been my breakfast this morning….and my lunch today…and dinner tonight. Definitely agree on the cast iron skillet – I adore mine!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 15, 2011 @ 7:54 am

done deal…except maybe the shoe closet. you can do that one and i’ll make you breakfast then :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 15, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Life lesson #146: Always sleep over at jessica’s!

Kelly — August 15, 2011 @ 7:58 am

Looks fabulous…as always. I am a terrible cleaner! Terrible. I don’t mind the service type cleaning…you know the one that makes you house appear clean? It is the deep clean that just sucks the life out of me.

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Yes! This exactly. That’s how I am too.

Taylor — August 15, 2011 @ 8:00 am

This hash looks awesome but I’m pretty useless at cleaning so I would be no help to your cause! I guess I’m gonna have to make my own…

Karla — August 15, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Woman you never cease to amaze me!
    I have a serious case of insomnia. It’s 5am. I haven’t slept and now all I can think about is this hash and those perfect looking eggs!

Sammi — August 15, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Cleaning and organizing the house/shoe closet of a cooking & baking goddess? Sign me up. I’m all over that. It will be like a super intensive therapy session with meditation at the end.. and I need it!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Hahahah you are too sweet!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — August 15, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Looks delish! How did you get those eggs so perfect? They’re gorgeous!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Thanks girl! We have an electric skillet that we always use for breakfast food – pancakes, bacon, etc, and I just cook them on there with the temp at about 200 degrees. It takes a little while longer but they look pretty for the pictures.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 15, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Yumm I love breakfast for dinner!! How do you get your photos of scrambled things to look so good?! Mine just look like a mess – probably because I insist on smothering everything in salsa. :P Great recipe Jess!

Elysha — August 15, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I’m not so good at the cleaning thing either, but mimosas and this breakfast could convert me. Or we could just hire Merry Maids and watch reruns of Full House and Boy Meets World instead. Grilled corn is my LIFE in the summer!

Laurie @SimplyScratch — August 15, 2011 @ 8:38 am

I go in spurts… one day it’s top-to-bottom full-on clean fest here… then others it looks like a bomb exploded and I could care less… especially in the kitchen! This hash is on my “To Make” this upcoming week! LoVe It!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 15, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Mmmm…deal. :-)

elizabeth@ourcrazysweetlife — August 15, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Absolutely stunning!

Angela (Oh She Glows) — August 15, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Ahhhh love love breakfast hash. And with veggies? You know I’m down for that one. I might have to whip this up and crumble some leftover veggie cheeze burgers on top!

brandi@BranAppetit — August 15, 2011 @ 8:55 am

deal, deal, deal.

now if i could just get this kind of breakfast for cleaning my own house…

Kelly — August 15, 2011 @ 9:02 am

WOW! The perfect summer breakfast, I love this!!

Cait's Plate — August 15, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Wait, wait, wait. IT’S SUMMER!?!? When did this happen!? ;)

That looks incredible and I hereby officially invite you to come to my house ANY TIME you want to and cook it :D

Bev Weidner — August 15, 2011 @ 9:30 am

MAMA. Seriously, BFD (breakfast for dinner) is my FAVORITE. I actually should have just typed out “breakfast for dinner” instead of the whole “BFD” thing because I ended up having to explain it anyway.

Sorry.

I’m glad you have cobwebs, too. And I love this meal. And it needs to be in my face right this moment.

Angie Walker — August 15, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Absolutely beautiful. And what a great idea to use those garden veggies…..

AKM — August 15, 2011 @ 9:38 am

great looking hash! and, um, you have a whole closet for shoes?

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Sadly… I have a problem.

The Teenage Taste — August 15, 2011 @ 9:41 am

*GASP!* Danger! Danger! Veggie Overload! ;-)

• The Teenage Taste — August 15th, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Just kidding! This looks fabulous! I love the addition of the drippy egg.
      Mmmmm…yolk. <3

Nicole, RD — August 15, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I have everything I need to make this! I think it would be a huge hit for dinner, too! Can’t wait to make it!

Katrina — August 15, 2011 @ 9:43 am

This looks mighty yummy! Awesome recipe. I have eggs to use!

Noelle — August 15, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Yummers! Wish I could eggs like that but not until after the baby. I made my own hash this morning before gnawing my hubby’s arm from being so hungry! LOL Scrambles eggs, onions, orange bell pepper, black beans, tomatoes, with a little cajun seasoning and a little cheese with some white flour tortillas. Ahhhhhh, so good. the Baby was happy too!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Sounds pretty delicious to me!

Sara — August 15, 2011 @ 10:10 am

This looks amazing. I’m drooling.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 15, 2011 @ 10:11 am

That egg on top looks like perfection :) PS- I love how the first ingredient on an otherwise mostly veg list is bacon! :)

Jenna — August 15, 2011 @ 10:13 am

my daughter is weird…she hates dinner for breakfast! I on the other hand love it! this hash looks way too perfect!

• Jessica — August 15th, 2011 @ 10:35 am

My husband doesn’t like it for dinner either!!

Eunice — August 15, 2011 @ 10:15 am

I’ve never tried corn for breakfast! With the egg it looks awesome. Thanks for the idea!

Laura | Casa del Hansen — August 15, 2011 @ 10:17 am

OMG. I. Must. Have. This. For. Dinner (or any meal). ASAP! That looks amazing, and what a wonderful way to use up all those zucchini that seem to be coming out of my ears this time of year….

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — August 15, 2011 @ 10:23 am

I am all in for that mojito slumber party and THIS for breakfast, not the stale cake, but I would understand. ;-)
    Love the pics.,Jessica, the colors are great!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — August 15, 2011 @ 10:35 am

How perfectly cooked are these eggs?! I love the idea of corn hash!

Ashley — August 15, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Ahhh, the most perfect sunny side up egg!! I need to buy 1 non-stick pan for egg cooking. The stainless work okay, but they always look just a tad mangled. :) You were so right…this definitely is up my alley. Lovely colors!

Karly — August 15, 2011 @ 10:53 am

That is ALMOST worth cleaning house for. Almost.

Anne — August 15, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Wow, I forgot how much I like breakfast hash…thanks for reminding me!

CouponClippingCook — August 15, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Wow, this looks so good. and healthy too. Love all of your pictures of it too!

Lauren — August 15, 2011 @ 11:41 am

Hold it sister… Are those vegetables?! :) Looks delish

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — August 15, 2011 @ 11:47 am

I live in an apt so luckily the maintenance people will clean out the drain if it’s clogged. Otherwise, god help my husband for having to deal with it.

Melissa — August 15, 2011 @ 11:54 am

That looks like the most perfect egg I have ever seen floating on a cloud of deliciousness. Maybe not the shower drain, but I’d do everything else. Including that closet.

Lindsey (One Sweet World) — August 15, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Today – go to Bed Bath and Beyond, take a coupon and buy this. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13708878&RN=182&amp;

Still kinda gross but much better – and saves your drain. I loose a ridiculous about of hair and this certainly helps.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — August 15, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

I need to get my cast iron skillets out of the camping boxes… like now.

Michelle — August 15, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

That might be the prettiest egg I’ve ever seen. Ever.

1. Pingback: Easy Southwest Turkey Burgers w/ Avocado-Ranch Dressing + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

2. Pingback: Summer Breakfast Hash « Wholesome RD

3. Pingback: Money Matters: Grilled Corn Summer (Breakfast) Hash + Weekly Menu | Prevention RD

4. Pingback: The Fashion Cloud >The Best Paris Brunch - TheFashionCloud

5. Pingback: See Ya, 2011. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: 12 Summer Recipes | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Easy Beer Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Exactly How I Cook My Sunny Side Up Eggs For Food Photos | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Grilled Corn Summer Breakfast Hash | Breakfast Recipe