I have good news and bad news.

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

The good news is… I made you bread. It tastes like pizza. It’s swirled with piles of grated provolone and spicy pepperoni and a nice little mixture of Italian seasoning [...that came out of a tube]. Yeah. We all do it.

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

The bad news is that it disappeared. Poof!

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

Like… all of it. Every last drop. Err, crumb. If you wanted to drop by today for lunch? All I could serve you are some wrinkly week old strawberries and a leftover slice of pizza that someone ate all the cheese off of. Not me. Okay… me.

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

At best I could dig the foil out of the trash for you that enveloped this loaf for a full 13 minutes before complete domination took over. You don’t want trashy tin.

See, bread if my favorite thing to make. I tricked you there, didn’t I? You thought you knew me soooo well and I’d gladly whirl cookies or brownies in my mixer any day of the week. But I’m really all about the bread. I don’t do it often because I tend to choose ease over homemade and trashy magazine reading over yeast proofing, but I love the touch, smell and taste of fresh bread. Uh, who doesn’t? Maybe someone with a few screws loose.

I want to dive headfirst into this pepperoni roll on steroids and doggy paddle through every cheesy swirl. Especially the crispy, burnt pieces, which we all know are the absolute best. They remind me of when my mom would serve some Stouffer’s mac and cheese every now and then with the golden, bubbly brown spots that would inevitably burn my tongue off and instill a firey passion inside my soul. Cheese is like a religion.

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

2 garlic cloves, minced

6 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated

4 ounces grated parmesan cheese

20-30 slices pepperoni, or however much you would like

1/3 cup tomato sauce, or more if desired

1 tablespoons italian seasoning

1. In a small saucepan, combine milk and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Heat until bubbles appear on the sides then turn off heat and set aside.

2. Measure out 1/4 cup of warm water and combine it with yeast and sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Optional: while yeast is is dissolving, stick pepperoni in the microwave on a paper towel lined plate for 30-40 seconds to remove a bit of grease. Lightly butter an 81/2 x 4 x 2 loaf pan.

3. Gently whisk the egg with the milk/butter mixture. In the bowl of an electric mixer (using dough hook attachment), combined flour and salt and lightly mix to combine. With the mixer on low speed, add in milk/butter mixture, then yeast mixture. Mix on medium speed until dough comes together, about 5-6 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and lightly flour your workspace, then knead by hand for a minute or two. Add a few more teaspoons of flour if dough is sticky until it becomes smooth.

4. Melt the two tablespoons of butter. Brush one tablespoon all over a bowl, then place dough in bowl and coat with butter. Cover the bowl and set in a warm place to double in size for about one hour.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

6. After dough has risen, punch out the air bubbles, flour your workspace again, and roll into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread tomato sauce on first, then minced garlic, then provolone, then pepperoni, then parmesan, then italian seasoning. Starting at one of the short ends, tightly roll dough into a loaf. Place in loaf pan and brush with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove from pan.

Pizza Swirl Bread I howsweeteats.com

Oh how I wish you could taste this.

201 Responses to “Pizza Swirl Bread.”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 29, 2011 @ 11:10 am

“Cheese is like a religion.”

Best quote of the day.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 29, 2011 @ 11:21 am

This is just like a “garbage bread” recipe I saw recently. Who doesn’t like the flavors/toppings of pizza all wrapped up!?

Melissa — August 29, 2011 @ 11:29 am

You do this to me every time. EVERY time!!! I’m having a perfectly sane day, not craving anything in particular and then I read your blog and can think of nothing but pizza swirl bread. Or peach basil salsa. Or marshmallow cookie bars. Damn you. And also, thanks.

• Kristin — August 29th, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Yes! Thank you! I feel the exact same way. Every time I look at this blog, I’m suddenly ravenously hungry.

Michelle — August 29, 2011 @ 11:47 am

You just made pizza more awesome than it already is. How do you DO that?

Katrina — August 29, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

This is dreamy.

Carissa — August 29, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I love baking bread, too. The smells from the rising dough and then from the oven can’t be beat. It’s truly a miracle to leave a bowl of dough alone for an hour and then come back to twice as much dough.

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Isn’t it?! Blows my mind every time.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — August 29, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

I love pizza.
    I love bread.
    This sounds right up my alley.

WenDee Riffe — August 29, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

well…once again~~your surprised me!!! i love pizza and bread so what better??? i tooooo like to make bread…have you tried the bread that mark bittman makes!!?? it is a NO knead bread and its great!! love the smell and touch and all that jazzzz!!! well…off to make a cake for my son~~he has discovered better than sex cake???? LORD~~y do i even try!!!LOL!!!

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

OMG girl… LOL! That is some amazing cake. :)

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

And I haven’t tried that bread yet – I will!

Tracy — August 29, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I love pepperoni bread! Yours looks divine. :-)

Bev Weidner — August 29, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

You see, it’s this kind of post that sends me back to bed. All that bread. That cheese. The sauce. The doggy paddling. IT WEARS ME OUT.

In a sexy, happy way.

The Teenage Taste — August 29, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Bread! <3
    Bread is also my favorite thing to make and boy, does this look amazing! :-D

RhodeyGirl — August 29, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

YUM- this looks really tasty. 2 big hunky slices of this with a big salad and I’d be a very happy girl.

Monika — August 29, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

You did it again! I can not wait to make this for my pizza loving hubby, who seriously could eat it everyday. I just may have to surprise him and make it sooner than friday, since friday is our pizza day. I just don’t think I can wait that long. Love it! Love your blog! (but I already told you that) ;)

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Thank you so much Monika! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 29, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

The bread looks like Scott’s idea of heaven! Love the swirly-ness!

Caitlyn — August 29, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

This totally put the Mellow Mushroom pizza I had last night to shame!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — August 29, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

If cheese is a religion, then I’m the most religious person alive.

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen — August 29, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Yes. yes. yes. I want to take this home with me! pizza? rolled? yes please!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — August 29, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

Sigh. Now I want pizza. So thanks for that! ;) I love this idea and I’m totally going to use it.

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — August 29, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

I really want to conquer baking bread but yeast scares me. Actually the whole process scares me. But this bread looks so good its actually motivating me to possibly try it. Pizza inside a loaf of bread?! I’m pretty sure I would find a way to make this whole loaf my breakfast lunch and dinner all in one day.

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Don’t let it scare you! It’s really awesome.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — August 29, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

This looks delicious! Very similar to the stromboli my Mom used to make when I was growing up.

Jess — August 29, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

This looks amazing! I’m making this for dinner…right now! One quick question, I may be misreading the directions (I’m pretty tired), but when do you add the egg?

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Sorry – fixed it. You whisk it into the milk/butter mix.

valerie — August 29, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

this looks delicious! i’m also going to make it right now!

I’m with you on the egg… and the garlic is also missing from the directions, though I think I could just add the garlic to the sauce, or the melted butter.

but where does the egg go?

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Gah so sorry. Apparently I’m the one with a few screws loose. Fixed it. :)

Rach — August 29, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Now here is something I definitely need to try!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 29, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

JEEZ that is the best idea..um ever?!?! fresh basil in there and call it a day…I will gladly have that whole roll as my cheat meal this week, thank you

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — August 29, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

I really wanna taste it too! ;)

And I love the crispy, burned pieces, too. But I had never even thought of it before. I just always eat them first!

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery — August 29, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

I love *any* pizza variation that’s thrown my way, so this looks and sounds delicious. Yum.

emily W. — August 29, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Dadgummit. Here I came to your site looking to find a yummy chicken recipe when this smacks me in the eyeballs. Of course I gave up on anything chicken with the promise of melty cheese and and gooey bready goodness. Besides the fact that I ended up with a small cavern inside the loaf because I probably didn’t let it cook or cool enough, I can’t stop eating it. So good, so good.

Katie@Cozydelicious — August 29, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

My husband would LOVE this bread. Amazing – cheesy, flavorful, and fun!

Alaina — August 29, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Cheese is my religion and I go to church every day. And by church, I mean my cheese drawer. :-)

Laura — August 29, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

I saw this recipe on my blog feed at work and couldn’t stop thinking of it all afternoon. Just pulled it out of the oven after botching the first round of dough (I left the egg out) — AMAZING! I’m already thinking of variations I can make later this week…maybe sausage and cheese for Sunday brunch!

Stephen @ Sweet Robichaux — August 30, 2011 @ 2:50 am

What a great idea!
    I’m doing this real soon.

I feel a demolition of my own coming on.

MizFit — August 30, 2011 @ 6:03 am

adopt me please :)

Sonnet Gal — August 30, 2011 @ 6:56 am

oh…if we only lived closer to each other so I could be your daily taste tester. looks amazing!

Cookin' Canuck — August 30, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I can see why this disappeared so quickly – it looks completely irresistible.

Amanda — August 30, 2011 @ 8:30 am

GENIUS!! This is awesome. Girl, you never cease to amaze me!!! :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 30, 2011 @ 8:55 am

I really want this – at least a slice – but without the sauce. I’ve seen smaller versions but this looks fun!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 30, 2011 @ 9:05 am

Brilliant! That looks amazing and I’m not surprised it was gone in a flash!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — August 30, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I wish I had time to make a yeast dough…maybe this wknd. Because this looks SOOOOO good! Holy cow….I think I’d prob eat the whole loaf.

foodwanderings — August 30, 2011 @ 9:59 am

How very cool! Seriously good looking pizza never would have thought to swirl it!!

CouponClippingCook — August 30, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I’ve not heard of this idea before but what a great one! It sounds and looks delicious.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 30, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Looks absolutely delicious!

Jennie @ Designed to be Fit — August 30, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

This needs to be in my kitchen NOW. I love pizza, I love bread. It’s a match made in heaven.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 30, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

This looks amazing! I know my hubby would love it… perhaps a bit too much. Adding this one to the baking list!

Faith — August 30, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Oh, I make this all the time in the winter. It is really easy to make a simple italian bread recipe for the bread part (I mean, who cares about the bread, it is all about the cheese and toppings that you put inside). Sometime I put sauce inside and sometime we eat it with tomato soup (my husband’s favorite way).

• Jessica — August 30th, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

Tomato soup!! What a fabulous idea. Thank you thank you!

Emily — August 30, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

MAN OH MAN. You HAD to take my favorite food and make it even more amazing. I can’t WAIT to make this for my roommates! (They will flip out!)

Ashleigh — August 30, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

YUM! I totally agree cheese is a religion! I would live off of it if I could! I LOVE your blog!

Tracy — August 30, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Yummy and different from the ordinary dinner! I omitted the meat and served it with some extra sauce for dipping. Thanks!

Jenny — August 30, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

Mine is in the oven as I type…I can’t wait :) Too bad I have to share with three kids and the hubby!

Ann — August 30, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

This is absolutely stunning…I’m amazed it lasted 13 minutes! Bread is one of my favorite things to make, too!

MizFit — August 31, 2011 @ 6:05 am

DANG
    or start a blog about how you do this and maintain the lovlinessment day in and out!!