I have cookie moods.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Occasionally, I crave a paper thin cookie – the only kind my dad really likes – when I’m aching for dessert with a raging sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Other days, when I’m reaching for comfort and sometimes feel like eating my emotions, I look for the perfectly thick, chewy cookie, still gooey from the oven, plucked from it’s baking sheet in pieces because I lack patience. And on a rare occurrence, I want to find my cookie inside of things: ice cream, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and bars… to which I will inevitably pick out each piece of cookie so precisely that it appears they were surgically removed by a world class surgeon. A dessert surgeon, that is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

This temperamental relationship I share with cookies proves just what a lunatic I am when it comes to food. I can find a time, a place, a day, or an event for any food in wild variation. In fact… my heart sort of bursts when I come across something new and delicious (uh… skillet bacon jam anyone? don’t worry, I bought two jars… just incase.) or rediscover something I once loved and typically burned myself out on. The excitement consumes me and makes me feel alive, vibrant and eager to try new things. Except for broccoli. Broccoli makes me feel dirty, used and generally unkept. Like I need a shower and a $90 exfoliator.

Bizarre?

Now you know.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

After scrubbing the kitchen floor last week on my hands and knees, pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see, being extensively domestic and cooking four dinners in a row, I was craving three things. I doubted I was lucky enough to receive a free, live-in maid or a lobotomy, but I knew I could make cookies happen. Cookies are magic. And I wanted the chewy cookies. The fat ones. The comfort ones. The ones that practically beg your to steal them from their cooling rack on the counter. The cookies whose crumbs and broken pieces are happily calorie free and always find a way to jump into your mouth.  Sneaky sneaky.

So… I made cookies. Not just any cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate cookies. You know… only the best combination to ever grace this planet. It’s evident that chocolate and peanut butter were meant to be together when it’s a marriage that you discovered yourself – not from the local cupcake bakery or a store-bought treat, not inherited from your mom or your grandma – found in the comfort of your own kitchen by means of a spoon, an economy-sized jar of Jif and a half used bag of 6-month old chocolate chips. Sponsored by your first broken heart and aversion to any nourishment other than what could be found in the Cheez-It box.

Many words came to mind with my first bite: warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, ecstasy… but before I recount a trashy romance novel for you, I gotta tell you this: they were puffy. Fat, fluffy, puffy, chewy cookies. That is what’s UP. Delicious, decadent and stuffed with peanut butter. You totally deserve this.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

makes about 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I won’t tell if you want to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top. I hear it’s the thing to do.

285 Responses to “Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.”

VeggieGirl — August 2, 2011 @ 7:04 am

No paper-thin cookies for me – THOSE puffy ones are my favorite! :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 2, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I’ve never thought of sprinkling sea salt on cookies– but that sounds like a great idea

Gen — August 2, 2011 @ 7:10 am

Fat, fluffy cookies are my FAVORITES! Plus, I could live off of pb and chcolate! :D

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I think we all could… let’s make it a diet.

Jennifer — August 2, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I was just thinking about how I should make some pb&chocolate chip cookies. it’s like you read my mind!

Becki@beckiswholelife — August 2, 2011 @ 7:14 am

I love the words puffy and peanut butter together. I am also loving these puffy cookies. I sprinkle sea salt on top of my cookies, too. But, I also have a bit of a sea salt problem:-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 2, 2011 @ 7:15 am

Oh definitely making those for the Husband next week. He’s a sort chewy puffy cookie kind of guy. The only thing that’s going to suck about this situation is that I have to use my peanut butter on him. Alas, I am a good wife and will do it.

Blond Duck — August 2, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I love chewy PB cookies!

Cait's Plate — August 2, 2011 @ 7:16 am

These are going to need to be a staple in our diet book when we write it :). There’s just nothing that can beat the chocolate/peanut butter combo in my book…except for chocolate and peanut butter flavors in huge, fluffy cookies!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 2, 2011 @ 7:22 am

I love the big fluffy cookies the best — especially when they are fresh out of the oven and super gooey.

And how did you know about me, the Jif jar and old chocolate chips???

Ashley (Strawberry Sprinkles) — August 2, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Will definitely be making these tomorrow. I have to go to the grocery store to pick up some chocolate chips =D Thanks for sharing this. I know my boys are going to love them.

Lisa — August 2, 2011 @ 7:33 am

uhhhh YUMM. anything involving pb is right up my alley! I made pb chocoalte chip cookies the other day, my friends couldnt get enough! so cant wait to try these :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 2, 2011 @ 7:43 am

i’m all for puffy as long as they’re chewy too! these sound like i would need adult supervision for them to be in our house…

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — August 2, 2011 @ 7:43 am

I am in total agreement with your statement that peanut butter and chocolate combo is “only the best combination to ever grace this planet.” Lovvvveeeee!

Erin — August 2, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Is it okay to use crunchy peanut butter if it’s all you happen to have?

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Yes, I think so!

Mandy — August 2, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Is it weird that I can’t believe only 1 person commented on stuffing a spoonful of PB into a bag of chocolate chips? Comon people…. you all do it! Well, maybe I just hope you all do so that I don’t feel like such a glutton.

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Don’t worry… I’ve done it since my teens.

Alicia W. — August 2, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Oh my goodness gracious. My mouth is watering just looking at these gorgeous photos! Would it be okay if I ate these for breakfast? How about lunch? You know what… I think I’ll just eat them all day long. Don’t tell anyone, okay?

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Sounds balanced to me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 2, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Oh my goodness… these are BEAUTIFUL. So puffy and soft and chewy-in-the-middle looking – I’m in love! As a kid, my dad wasn’t so much into thin cookies, but he LOVED the McVities Digestives and Hobnobs – both cookies that were hard all the way through. Let’s just say he can keep those, because I want THESE!

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I’ve never been a fan of the hard cookies either!

Laura @ Meet Virginia — August 2, 2011 @ 7:57 am

I’m just saying… my “recipe” board on Pinterest is comprised mainly of pictures of your delicious recipes!

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Thank you thank you! :)

Emily — August 2, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Chocolate+Pb=my favorite. Gonna try these.

Emily http://www.mywordsinterestslife.blogspot.com

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 2, 2011 @ 7:59 am

These look amazing! Your photos just keep getting better and better.

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Aw thank you!

Sarah — August 2, 2011 @ 8:01 am

I also have a lot of your recipes on my pintrest! These look amazing. I am seriously considering making them today!

nancy k — August 2, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Did someone say…cookies for breakfast?? Well, I am saying it as I head to the kitchen to make that chocolate and PB breakfast. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

Diana — August 2, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Yum!! I saw the photo on your FB and thought they looked like dough balls at first! lol. I’m so with you on the thick and thin cookies depending on your mood. Each has its place in my heart. :)

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Hahaha they DO kind of look like dough balls! Didn’t even think of that. :)

Stephanie — August 2, 2011 @ 8:17 am

Ok, i’ll admit it. i’m a fun size hershey bar peanut butter dipper, not so much the chocolate chips (no spoon required!). these cookies look amazing. they’re so tall! i love it.

Kim in MD — August 2, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I am not a thin and crispy cookie lover. Give me the puffy, chewy gooey cookies anyday! Using the CI’s cookie base, the possibilites for thick, chewy cookies are endless. The peanut butter and chocolate combination is such a classic, though, and so good! I am making these today…thanks, Jessica!

Miranda — August 2, 2011 @ 8:28 am

Peanut butter and chocolate is the best combination! These look great, and I love using kosher salt in my cookies for that sweet/salty flavor.

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — August 2, 2011 @ 8:33 am

I read the title saw the words peanut butter and chocolate and was instantly sold on this recipe! Looks great!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 2, 2011 @ 8:49 am

So golf ball is the shape I need to go for to get these fluffy cookies, huh? Good to know!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — August 2, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Okay, it’s official. These will be my personal, total, holistic downfall.

I also have all of these ingredients in my kitchen like…rightnow. Uh ohs.

The Teenage Taste — August 2, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Fat, fluffy, chewy cookies are the best kind of cookies…and the only kind I eat! I can’t stand crunchy, thin, cookies. Except for Oreos. I can easily demolish half a package of them in one sitting. ;-)

Kelly — August 2, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I love puffy cookies…so chewy and thick…perfect!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 2, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Chocolate and peanut butter is indeed the best combination ever invented and I can never get enough!

Holly — August 2, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Imagine how amazing these would be if you swapped out the chocolate chips for those mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s? YUM.

Clare — August 2, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Wow. These are definitely some of the fluffiest, most delicious looking cookies I have ever seen.
    And hey, it’s better to have cookie moods than no cookie moods at all.

Clare — August 2, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Also, I think I might have some for breakfast. Kaythanks.

Clare — August 2, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Also, I think I may have some for breakfast. Kaythanks.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — August 2, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Omg I want one of these right now!!!!! They look PERFECT!!!!

I love how they are SO PUFFY!!!!!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — August 2, 2011 @ 9:14 am

You’re not kidding when you say puffy! And how do I become a dessert surgeon?? Are you taking applications?

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — August 2, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Can’t go wrong with a thick, chewy, fluffy peanut butter cookie! Everyone needs 1 (or 5) after scrubbing the kitchen floor on their hands and knees!

Tina @newbestdayofmylife.blogspot.com — August 2, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Oh my! Yummm! I will be going to the store for chocolate chips today, just to make these!

Melanie — August 2, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Ha! Dessert surgeon! I went to school for that…. LOL

I love that you melt the peanut butter, but I am wondering why? So the sugar will dissolve a little? I’m intrigued.

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:16 am

The original recipe that it is from (linked above) calls for the butter to be melted – I’m pretty sure that it is melted because you aren’t using a stand mixer and it would almost be impossible to being all of the ingredients together enough if they weren’t melted.

DessertForTwo — August 2, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Puffy cookies?! Yum!

I just made your coconut mocha and it’s delicious!! I really wish I followed your instructions and brewed coffee last night and let it cool. I pour my coffee over ice and it got a little watery, but it’s still delicious!

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Oh I’m so glad you liked it!! :)

Bev Weidner — August 2, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Okay, I found a cheap airfare ticket to your place. Just need your “okay” on this.

JUST KIDDING. I’m NOT A FREAK!

sort of.

Caitlyn — August 2, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I have this bad habit of reading food blogs at work, subsequently being taunted by delicious pictures food, then having to wait until I get off work to make them. Actually, that’s no so much as a problem as a patience issue on my part. I think I may use a sick day today so I can make these!

amy — August 2, 2011 @ 9:25 am

OMG these look amazing!! SO fat and doughy. one small request: i recently went gluten-free, but i still want to enjoy decadent desserts – maybe you can throw in a gluten free cookie recipe soon?

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Ah, Amy I can try, but I have never even attempted a gluten-free cookie and am not even sure where to begin! Any tips?

Adele — August 2, 2011 @ 9:29 am

WOW gorgeous cookies!! Gotta make these. I too used to do that thing with the peanut butter back in the day! As a teen I would spread graham crackers with PB, put chocolate chips on top, and then microwave. YUM!!

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I did that too!

Rebekah — August 2, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Those cookies look amazing! And it’s a rare sight that I see them puffy but that’s just the way I like them :). Thanks for the post!

shaffy — August 2, 2011 @ 9:36 am

chocolate IS a food group by itself, subdivided into three: milk, white, dark. and i love all three. i make sure it is a part of my daily consumption. and yes, i made these cookies as soon as i finished reading this blog entry. no regrets. can’t begin to thank you enough =)

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Yay! So glad you liked them!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — August 2, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I am now craving chocolate at 6:43am! Damn you! :)

• Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — August 2nd, 2011 @ 9:43 am

It says I left my comment at 9:42. Don’t be fooled. It’s not yet 7am here in Cali, and now I must somehow consume cookies for breakfast.

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I know, the timing is so weird on this.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — August 2, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Peanut butter cookies are my absolute favorite kind of cookie!!! And they can only get better with chocolate chips…Can’t wait to try this recipe! =)

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: PB and Chocolate Chips | From Scratch: Baking

2. Pingback: New Green Monster and Celebrations | mycleverendeavors

3. Pingback: Birthday Bites | Eat.Write.Love.

4. Pingback: Early Morning Challenges | Sweet Tooth Sweet Life

5. Pingback: Sweet things! Cookies and cupcakes! « internet charlotte

6. Pingback: Love In The Wine | Bouquets & BJs

7. Pingback: Weekend Shenanigans « Wild, Not Wise

8. Pingback: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies | Ventures and Variations

9. Pingback: Blog Bites II « Healthy Food For Living

10. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips | finding a new life through food.

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | Fresh Eating

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips « Bake Me Famous

13. Pingback: Fluffy Peanut Butter Cookies

14. Pingback: White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Candied Bacon « thebitesizedbaker

16. Pingback: Thick, Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | The Whimsical Cupcake

17. Pingback: super soft peanut butter cookies « christina's kitchen..

18. Pingback: Peanut Butter Apology Cookies | In the Kitchen with Brody

19. Pingback: Ciasteczka z masłem orzechowym i czekoladą « Kuchnia Smakoszy - Przepisy, zdjęcia na pyszne wypieki :)

20. Pingback: (Jewish) New Year Recap!

21. Pingback: puffy peanut butter triple chip cookies | Sweet Dreaming

22. Pingback: sunday baking | account of a girl

23. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies « Just Everyday Me

24. Pingback: Surgery Vacation, Good Intentions & A Cookie | Tickled Pink Cakery Blog

25. Pingback: Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies

26. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies « Purely Consumed

27. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter M&M candies

28. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Peanut Butter Cream’wiches

29. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies « Kristine's Kitchen

30. Pingback: Peanut Butta Time! « Beautiful Disasters

31. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Nonpareil Peanut Butter Cookies | CulinaryChat

32. Pingback: WIAW #3 | runninglatemolls

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies | After the Ivy League

34. Pingback: Life to the Full · The Return of Routine

35. Pingback: Soft and Fluffy Fall Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | Grand Adventure

36. Pingback: Just a little baking… | confessionsofamultitasker

37. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips: Day 12 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies « oh so decadent

38. Pingback: Sometimes. | Persnickety Hall

39. Pingback: New Favorite (Shareable) Cookies - Mymsn5 Today

40. Pingback: The Culinary Couple » Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

41. Pingback: Reading Lives: Too Many Cooks | JollyLibrarian

42. Pingback: Peanut Butter Reese’s Cookies | sparecake

43. Pingback: peanut butter chocolate chip cookies | Sweet Mint

44. Pingback: Bake: Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

45. Pingback: Peanut Butter Skillet Cookie Sundae. | pinmeplease

46. Pingback: Meg's Food! » Soft and Puffy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

47. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips | Love to be in the Kitchen

48. Pingback: schtuff i like | celibateinthecity