I have cookie moods.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Occasionally, I crave a paper thin cookie – the only kind my dad really likes – when I’m aching for dessert with a raging sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Other days, when I’m reaching for comfort and sometimes feel like eating my emotions, I look for the perfectly thick, chewy cookie, still gooey from the oven, plucked from it’s baking sheet in pieces because I lack patience. And on a rare occurrence, I want to find my cookie inside of things: ice cream, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and bars… to which I will inevitably pick out each piece of cookie so precisely that it appears they were surgically removed by a world class surgeon. A dessert surgeon, that is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

This temperamental relationship I share with cookies proves just what a lunatic I am when it comes to food. I can find a time, a place, a day, or an event for any food in wild variation. In fact… my heart sort of bursts when I come across something new and delicious (uh… skillet bacon jam anyone? don’t worry, I bought two jars… just incase.) or rediscover something I once loved and typically burned myself out on. The excitement consumes me and makes me feel alive, vibrant and eager to try new things. Except for broccoli. Broccoli makes me feel dirty, used and generally unkept. Like I need a shower and a $90 exfoliator.

Bizarre?

Now you know.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

After scrubbing the kitchen floor last week on my hands and knees, pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see, being extensively domestic and cooking four dinners in a row, I was craving three things. I doubted I was lucky enough to receive a free, live-in maid or a lobotomy, but I knew I could make cookies happen. Cookies are magic. And I wanted the chewy cookies. The fat ones. The comfort ones. The ones that practically beg your to steal them from their cooling rack on the counter. The cookies whose crumbs and broken pieces are happily calorie free and always find a way to jump into your mouth.  Sneaky sneaky.

So… I made cookies. Not just any cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate cookies. You know… only the best combination to ever grace this planet. It’s evident that chocolate and peanut butter were meant to be together when it’s a marriage that you discovered yourself – not from the local cupcake bakery or a store-bought treat, not inherited from your mom or your grandma – found in the comfort of your own kitchen by means of a spoon, an economy-sized jar of Jif and a half used bag of 6-month old chocolate chips. Sponsored by your first broken heart and aversion to any nourishment other than what could be found in the Cheez-It box.

Many words came to mind with my first bite: warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, ecstasy… but before I recount a trashy romance novel for you, I gotta tell you this: they were puffy. Fat, fluffy, puffy, chewy cookies. That is what’s UP. Delicious, decadent and stuffed with peanut butter. You totally deserve this.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

makes about 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I won’t tell if you want to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top. I hear it’s the thing to do.

283 Responses to “Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.”

Jen — August 2, 2011 @ 10:04 am

This is the type of recipe that makes me want to spend all afternoon in the kitchen baking cookies for everyone I know. I like when a recipe doesn’t call for the big standing mixer!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — August 2, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Those cookies look so plump and delicious. Of course I mean plump in the most flattering way possible kinda like phat or when P diddy was puffy and it was seen as a good thing haha. Plump peanut butter chocolate chip cookies….mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:13 am

My grandma once called me plump and swore is was in a flattering way… I get it.

Maria — August 2, 2011 @ 10:18 am

I love puffy cookies!

Jan — August 2, 2011 @ 10:25 am

These sound amazing! I’ve been on a peanut butter and chocolate kick recently, so I can’t wait to try these!

Shanna, Like Banana — August 2, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I’m a poofy cookie girl myself. Go big or go home, right?

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:36 am

I like how you think.

Kristina @ spabettie — August 2, 2011 @ 10:42 am

“pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see” – I love you, twin.

HeatherChristo — August 2, 2011 @ 10:43 am

LOL! I just called my mom last night and asked what was wrong with me for rummaging for my kids old potty training m&m’s and sticking them onto a spoon of peanut butter. I also got into their cheeze-itz last night. major desperation? hormones? maybe these cookies are in order today…

Thanks for this post- I actually dug through my inbox looking for your email this morning for a pick me up!

Nicole — August 2, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Oh man. I’m so gonna make these.

Girl in the pink — August 2, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Ohh I love your sea salt tip, I’ve never tried that!

Big fluffy cookies are my fav!!

Kim — August 2, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Funny thing, I live in North Texas where the temps are over 100 and have been for more than 30 consecutive days, over the weekend I decided to simply bake my way through this heatwave. These cookies will be the perfect addition to the mass I’ve already baked. It’s like Christmas in August.
    Thanks heaps! :)

Erin — August 2, 2011 @ 10:53 am

You are right I do deserve these! Especially after almost slicing the tip of my finger off last night.

Amy — August 2, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I canNOT wait to try this recipe!!

christine [the sugar apothecary] — August 2, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Oh my goodness. You made me laugh out loud, at now my boyfriend looks very concerned for my sanity. These cookies look INSANELY delicious, but what really got me was your preferred method of discovering food pairings (6 month old chocolate chips are STILL chocolate chips, after all). I am the same way, for sure. For some reason, there is nothing better than standing in your kitchen with a giant spoon coated in a thick smear of peanut butter, dipping said spoon into a wide-mouthed jar of blackberry jelly and eating the entire gooey mess in one sweep. Smear, dip, repeat. So good :)

Ann Claire — August 2, 2011 @ 11:09 am

Wow, I absolutely must makes these! Looks amazing!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — August 2, 2011 @ 11:12 am

How do you come up with such great recipes every single day!? You never cease to amaze me!

angela — August 2, 2011 @ 11:15 am

i will be making these this weekend! They look delish :)

Gabby — August 2, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Well I WAS gonna make your peanut butter stuffed hot fudge cupcakes today but then you went and posted this. >.< Sorry cupcakes you'll have to wait another day!

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled — August 2, 2011 @ 11:27 am

These look amazing! Peanut butter and chocolate together are truly one of the best combinations EVER! And the sea salt addition is genius. Mmmm…

Tary — August 2, 2011 @ 11:36 am

These look fantastic! The BF has been bugging me for peanut butter cookies for ages, so I think I’m gonna give these ones a try. YUM!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 2, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Oh yes, sea salt on top of these puffies!

Jackie — August 2, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I picked up a container of mini pb cups from Trader Joe’s a couple weeks ago.

I think I know what they’re destined for!

Diane {Created by Diane} — August 2, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Pass me a plate full of these beauties :) yummy!!!

Katelin — August 2, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Just YESTERDAY I was looking around for a peanut butter cookie recipe that I could add chocolate chips to. It’s like you read my mind!! I’m going to make some of these very, very soon.

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — August 2, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

These look so good! And the sprinkle of sea salt… yes please!

Alaina — August 2, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Puffy cookies are the best!! Love these! :-)

janetha @ meals & moves — August 2, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Those cookies look like they will be replacing my pillow tonight. They are so fluffy! I bet they taste better than pillows.

Jess@atasteofconfidence — August 2, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

I like puffy cookies, too. They are definitely the best!

Ashley — August 2, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Pillowy clouds of cookie goodness!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE thick cookies. Irresistible!

Caroline — August 2, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Pretty sure I’m always in a cookie mood. These look so fluffy and delicious!

Bethany — August 2, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

I’m a regular reader, but I just sent this post to my roommate. She said, she should move into our room too. I think we could all be best friends! Agreed!

Kayla — August 2, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I believe these would be AWESOME with white chocolate chips. Mmmm….

Heather @ girlyeverafter — August 2, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

I wish there were cookie mood rings! I would wear it everyday!

Diane — August 2, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

These are in my oven right now, making the house smell delish! These may be the answer to all my peanut butter/chocolate pregnancy cravings! Can’t wait till they’re ready!!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — August 2, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

These look delicious! I’m a plump cookie girl, no thin cookies for me!

Julia — August 2, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Ho-ly crap.
    Never do your recipes fail to make me drool, but this one may cause a puddle to form beneath me…. Making these ASAP!!!

Kendra — August 2, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I seriously thought it said “roll into the size of a goofball”. “I wondered, how big, exactly, of a goofball was she thinking??!?!?!?!”
    OMG. Musta been lovestoned by the pics of the cookies. Yum.

Katrina — August 2, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

I’m in love.

kaceyt @ om&nom — August 2, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

absolutely beautiful! those cookies are little masterpieces!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — August 2, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

You just can’t beat a pillowy cookie, and the chocolate pb combination is the ultimate! I just posted a recipe for chocolate peanut butter, and I could totally see myself slathering it over a few of these cookies warm from the oven :).

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — August 2, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

yummy, I don’t think I’ve ever added chocolate chips to a peanut butter cookie recipe. Makes perfect sense though!

Barefeet In The Kitchen — August 2, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Melted butter in a chocolate chip cookie? I can’t resist it now. I keep seeing recipes that call for melted butter, but I haven’t tried it yet. Your cookies are gorgeous. Nothing beats a perfect chocolate chip cookie and peanut butter just takes it up one more notch. Yum!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — August 2, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Yum, these reminds me of cookies I’ve made for my mama and my best friend.. I often just go w the traditional “witch’s hat” pb cookie, with the hershey kiss in the center. :-)

alex — August 2, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

oh how I love Cheez-its.
    and these cookies.
    and you.
    and sea salt

feast on the cheap — August 2, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Oh geez, these look perfect. Literally perfect.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — August 2, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

mmmm I LOVE the puffiness! Not that I would turn down a thin and crispy cookie but these are the true winners :D

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — August 2, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Um, I want those. They look chewy and I like chewy cookies. I like chewy cookies with peanut butter even better. I like chewy cookies with chocolate even more better.

Noa — August 2, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

These cookies look incredible! I personally love my chocolate chip cookies at a happy medium—crispy, crunchy, and buttery around the edges, and gooey in the middle.

AliSue — August 2, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

I was going to go out for frozen yogurt with pineapple and toasted coconut on it, but now it looks like I will be baking!!! These look amazing, now if it wasn’t so hot out.

Kristen — August 2, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Those look soooo good! I love big, soft cookies. Yum!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 2, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Ugggh! What have you done, Jessica?? I was perfectly content lying here with my glass of wine watching last night’s bachelorette. Now I must bake cookies!