I have cookie moods.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Occasionally, I crave a paper thin cookie – the only kind my dad really likes – when I’m aching for dessert with a raging sweet tooth that just won’t quit. Other days, when I’m reaching for comfort and sometimes feel like eating my emotions, I look for the perfectly thick, chewy cookie, still gooey from the oven, plucked from it’s baking sheet in pieces because I lack patience. And on a rare occurrence, I want to find my cookie inside of things: ice cream, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and bars… to which I will inevitably pick out each piece of cookie so precisely that it appears they were surgically removed by a world class surgeon. A dessert surgeon, that is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

This temperamental relationship I share with cookies proves just what a lunatic I am when it comes to food. I can find a time, a place, a day, or an event for any food in wild variation. In fact… my heart sort of bursts when I come across something new and delicious (uh… skillet bacon jam anyone? don’t worry, I bought two jars… just incase.) or rediscover something I once loved and typically burned myself out on. The excitement consumes me and makes me feel alive, vibrant and eager to try new things. Except for broccoli. Broccoli makes me feel dirty, used and generally unkept. Like I need a shower and a $90 exfoliator.

Bizarre?

Now you know.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

After scrubbing the kitchen floor last week on my hands and knees, pretending to clean the bathrooms but really just touching up the spots that everyone see, being extensively domestic and cooking four dinners in a row, I was craving three things. I doubted I was lucky enough to receive a free, live-in maid or a lobotomy, but I knew I could make cookies happen. Cookies are magic. And I wanted the chewy cookies. The fat ones. The comfort ones. The ones that practically beg your to steal them from their cooling rack on the counter. The cookies whose crumbs and broken pieces are happily calorie free and always find a way to jump into your mouth.  Sneaky sneaky.

So… I made cookies. Not just any cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate cookies. You know… only the best combination to ever grace this planet. It’s evident that chocolate and peanut butter were meant to be together when it’s a marriage that you discovered yourself – not from the local cupcake bakery or a store-bought treat, not inherited from your mom or your grandma – found in the comfort of your own kitchen by means of a spoon, an economy-sized jar of Jif and a half used bag of 6-month old chocolate chips. Sponsored by your first broken heart and aversion to any nourishment other than what could be found in the Cheez-It box.

Many words came to mind with my first bite: warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth delicious, ecstasy… but before I recount a trashy romance novel for you, I gotta tell you this: they were puffy. Fat, fluffy, puffy, chewy cookies. That is what’s UP. Delicious, decadent and stuffed with peanut butter. You totally deserve this.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

adapted from the giant rainbow cookies

makes about 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled

6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.

Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips I howsweeteats.com

P.S. I won’t tell if you want to sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top. I hear it’s the thing to do.

290 Responses to “Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips.”

Debra — August 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Ok! So, I’ve never been that great at baking cookies for some reason. I never know whether to take them off the baking sheet right away and put them on a cooling rack, or let them cool right on the baking sheet. So, if one was really going to actually let them cool completely, as opposed to eating them right out of the oven……..when you say, “cool completely” do you mean to leave them on the baking sheet until cool? : )

• vanitycake — August 23rd, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Usually, I remove them to a cooling rack so that they don’t get soggy or keep baking on the hot cookie sheet. Depending on the recipe, you might wait a few minutes before removing it to the cooling rack. Might be a trial and error process if a recipe doesn’t specify. :)

• Rhiannan — July 28th, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

i always cook my cookies for the lesser amount of time and then remove the sheet and let them cool on the sheet. they continue to cook while the baking sheet cools down, but only the bottom, making the cookies super soft and nommy. it still all depends on the oven and your location. when i visit up north i have to cook my cookies for 2 min longer before removing. *when checking on your cookies in the oven, turn the light. If you open the oven the temp decreases and makes for uneven cooking.

Amanda — August 22, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

I’m making these right now…but next time I’m totally making them with chunky pb!!!

Ruth D — August 23, 2011 @ 3:00 am

I’m going to try mailing these to our guys in Afghanistan. They’ve been asking for peanut butter. I bet thery’ll be thrilled with these. Thanks so much for sharing!

Kim R — August 26, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I just made these wonderful tasting Puffy Peanut Butter Choc. chip cookies. They did not come out so puffy and was wondering what I did wrong? Was the butter/peanut butter not cold enough? Did I need to add more flour? They were sticky to roll so I definitely did not need the tsp milk. But they still taste wonderful. Maybe next time they will look like yours:)

• Jessica — August 26th, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Was your butter totally cooled too? That may have been the culprit!

Whitney M — August 28, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

I just made these, and they are SO puffy and delicious! Thanks for this great recipe!!

Brady — August 29, 2011 @ 10:58 am

I made these cookies in order to redeem myself from bad pb choc chip cookies. Impossible? You would think. When I made these cookies, however, the world stopped. These are literally the best cookies I’ve ever had. All my family and friends rave about them. They stay fresh and soft for a really long time.

Delorse Sword — August 29, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

You don’t specify so I’m guessing not, but I wanted to check — is the brown sugar one cup packed or no? THANKS!!!

• Jessica — August 29th, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

I definitely didn’t pack it, but I would say “loosely” pressed it with a spoon. :)

• Delorse Sword — August 29th, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

I ended up doing the same and they are wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Jane Pilanski — August 31, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

probably the best combination of flavors in the world. They were so good! I re-posted my adaptation on my blog.

Virginia — September 4, 2011 @ 11:46 am

this is the first recipe of yours that I’ve made before and I can’t tell you how delicious they are!! my roommates have been raving about them! I made them for a meeting this Monday and we’ve eaten so many I need to go bake some more!

Meli — September 9, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I’m allergic to peanut butter and just have discovered the wonderful world of sun butter. I am obsessed. I don’t know how I have gone all my life without peanut butter. I made these cookies with sun butter and oh my gosh, SO GOOD!!

Rini — September 10, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

These cookies are sooo amazing!~ :D I baked them without the chocolate chips, substituted brown sugar with more granulated sugar and they still tasted delicious~

Half the batch turned into Peanut Butter and Banana cookies that ended up fantastic as well :D Definitely gonna make these again for myself and for other~

Nechama — September 12, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I hate peanut butter cookies and only made them because my sister begged me to (okay, those gorgeous photos helped persuade me too).
    And my goodness, they are FABULOUS!
    Definitely a new go-to recipe.
    mmmmmm…..
    And they turn out as pretty as yours!

Kathy — September 12, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Mm Mm MM! I substituted the brown sugar with yellow sugar and used chopped up dark chocolate and a couple of Rolos I found in the fridge – the Rolos taste great but I wouldn’t use too many as the hot caramel could melt a hole through the cookie. Nevertheless, these cookies just melted in everyone’s mouths and left them crying for more! I’m definitely making these again. Thank you so much!

Irishbaker — September 18, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Yum!Definitely making these soon !

Katie — September 22, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

I tried these and they turned out great! Everyone loved them. Thanks for the recipe!

Salvador Dali — October 2, 2011 @ 9:46 am

I love your cookies! When i make it first time i don’t belive that is so delicious! :)))

Thanks very much for recipies :)

Candice Renee Photography — October 9, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

I was really craving peanut butter chocolate chip cookies today but I have no recipe for it – where did I turn to? This blog of course and OF COURSE you didn’t disappoint. Making these now!!! Love this – you are awesome. Your recipes and photos are making me so happy, and let’s face it: the world needs more happiness.

• Jessica — October 9th, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

So glad you liked them!! :)

Casey — October 10, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

I have to make these and I am hoping today. The not only look good, they also sound delicious. Thanks so much.

Heather Veska — October 19, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Another favorite! I love peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies and this recipe turned out great.

donna — October 19, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

dry??? any suggestions?

donna — October 19, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

mu husband loved them… i don’t know … just seemed a bit dry… & chocolate chips didn’t melt enough.. any suggestions would be appreciated. i am learning how to bake !!! i know there are so many tricks – eggs room temp etc. etc…. i love the site… and going to keep trying..

Tanvee — October 28, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Oh my gooddddd. These are so good. SO GOOD! I used natural peanut butter, light Omega-3 infused butter, and dark chocolate chips in order to fool myself into thinking “oh psh, these are HEALTHY, you should eat more of them than just one”. It worked.

I’m thinking about how glorious they’d be with real butter. I don’t know if I can handle it.

jade — November 5, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Do you use a mixer to combine the peanut butter, butter, and sugar?

Heather — November 15, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

These cookies fabulous. I had taken some over the the neighbors as a token of thanks, and they can’t stop talking about them…then again neither can we. I was wondering if you thought that this recipe could be used as a bar cookie, or if you thought any modifications might be needed, and how long would you guess they would need to bake. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

Katie — November 23, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Most of the comments I got when I made these were “Oh my God, are you serious?!?!” These are SOOO good!

Molly — November 27, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

OMG so perfect! So happy to find ones that are not overpoweringly peanutbuttery :-) perfect balance of peanut butter and chocolate!!!

Karen V — December 24, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

Gooey and Rich! Oh so Yummy! So cute and fat (puffy) My alterations were as follows, 1 cup of regular semi-sweet chocochips and 1/2 cup mini morsels, substitued a 1/2 tsp. baking powder for the baking soda. I didn’t use quite a golf ball size and yielded 30 cookies. Everything else I followed per recipe. These Are Awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

Emma — January 22, 2012 @ 2:24 am

These cookies are soooo good! hopefully someone can help me. the first time i made these they were perfect, but now when i make them the mixture seems a little dry and when put the cookies on the tray like the recipe says, they don’t do exactly what they are meant to.. should i increase the liquid?

Stephanie — January 25, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

What kind of peanut butter do you usually use?

Mrskthill — February 2, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Super yummy and easy to make! Going to post a link on my blog to yours! :)

Milee K — February 6, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

OMG These cookies look so good they are making me cry! :)

Hanna — February 22, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

I just made these today as a present for a friend, and they were a hit! Everyone loved them, thanks for sharing the awesome recipe.
    P.S. I added crushed up pretzels to half of the batch, just to see what would happen. The pretzel cookies were the first to disappear, I’d highly recommend it!

KAREN — March 2, 2012 @ 11:26 pm

Just wanted to let you know I calculated the calories (don’t ask why I am a nut! Cookies are treats who cares but haa… it looked like each cookie was almost 250 calories) so I made some alterations..
    1 cup of all purpose and 1 cup of whole wheat flour
    Eliminated the white sugar
    4 tbsp of Butter and 4 tbsp of Earth Balance
    Instead of the extra egg yolk I added 2 egg whites.
    and made them into 24 cookies:)

Turned out just as yummy! and I got them down to 147 calories.. now I can eat two LOL

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — March 21, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

I just made these with dark chocolate chunks. Yummy!

Kareen Eva — April 5, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

I just made them yesterday and instead of chocolate chips I put caramel chips… DELICIOUS!!! They are already gone!!! :-(
    But thanks for the recipe!!!

Amanda — April 15, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Found this recipe on pinterest and just made them. OOOOMMMMMGGGG so good! I have never been great at making cookies but these are amazing. Puffy and soft, the peanut butter isn’t that powerful which I like and with milk chocolate chips. Orgasm in my mouth. Best cookies ever.

Susan Andrews — June 6, 2012 @ 1:41 am

Have I mentioned that I make these all of the time now? They are perfect every time. I add a little extra PB & make sure the mixture is very cool before I add the other ingredients. Oh, and I use 2 whole eggs right out of the fridge and they are just fine. Thanks for sharing!

Shelbie — June 16, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

From someone who has never been a huge fan of peanut butter desserts, this cookies are absolutely awesome!!! I made them for my stepfather for father’s day and I fear I’ll eat half the batch before he even sees them. He’ll believe me when I say the recipe only makes 8 right?!

• whitney — September 1st, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

How do you make them puffy ive tried twice do i need to put the peanut butter mixture in the fridge??

Kelsea — September 3, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

This is the best recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that I have ever made! They come out exactly like the picture and are absolutely delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Andrea — September 3, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

These cookies are the best cookies I have ever made!! I was afraid they wouldn’t turn out the way they should (fluffy). I took a small bite after letting them cool for a few minutes and all I could do was smile!! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

Melodie — September 10, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

I made these cookies tonight and they just came out of the oven. They are really good. This will be my go to peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe! Thank you

Jay — September 26, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

I would happily proofread your posts for you before you post them….

Olivia — October 11, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Wow these r delicious! I just made 24 cookies for my family and some friends! They love them! So puffy and full of flavor! (:

Marshelle — October 16, 2012 @ 3:32 am

Random craving for these cookies! This is the best cookie to come out of my oven. Thank you so much for my new go to cookie. Sending them to work with the hubbie I am sure everyone will love them!

Mahtab — October 29, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I just made these last night as a housewarming present (and obivously had to make another batch for myself…) and they turned out pretty good! I accidentally put in 8 table spoons of peanut butter instead of 6 but it was still yummy. This is the first recipe I’ve tried from your blog and I’m looking forward to doing more. I can’t stop looking through all your amazing recipes!!

Hannah — November 3, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

I live at a high altitude – will this affect them? Should I just add 1/4 cup of flour, or just leave them? What do you suggest??

Sara — December 8, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

I made these cookies today with my Aunts for our Christmas cookie baking day and they came out great!! We were all impressed with the “puffiness” the only change I made was to not add peanut butter because my cousin has an allergy. Will def. be the ONLY chocolate chip recipe I use. Thanks soo much!!

URGH! — January 15, 2013 @ 9:26 am

I am never good at making cookies! I tried making these last night and they tasted like flavor-less flour :( I followed the instructions but I used Ghiradelli (spelling!) baking chocolate chips (milk chocolate). Is there a reason why my cookies were flavorless to say the least!?

Katie — February 5, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

This recipe was perfect! The cookies were so big, fat, and fluffy. I finally found the perfect peanut butter cookie! Thank you!

Brooke — February 16, 2013 @ 11:53 pm

These are AMAZING! I’ve been following Jessica for yearss now and have ended up with a long, long list of bookmarked recipes (I seem to forget when it comes to the actual cooking part!! ) However, as I prepared to make regular old cookies, I remembered to come here. They came out PERFECT. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve followed a cookbook and the result was just a little off…well, I could not be happier with the ease of the recipe and the quality of the cookie. I added a tsp of cinnamon to half the batch, just for kicks. Good little twist but definitely not needed. Thanks Jessica :)