Oh hi. Me again.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

Back with more chili. Hope you’re not sick of it yet.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

Actually, scratch that.

I do hope you’re sick of it. Because this is the perfect recipe to change up your leftovers. It was completely spontaneous and happened at nearly 8 o’clock at night.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

For some reason, this tasted so good to me that I ended up eating a bowl for breakfast the next day. I love me some chili, but the thought of one more steaming bowl this week had my appetite flying out the window. This was perfectly comforting and a great way to use up what I didn’t freeze. And I didn’t know if it was possible, but all of that meat got even more tender after baking.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

Okay. No more chili.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake

serves 4-6

1 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow noodles

3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese

2 1/2 – 3 cups of leftover chili

1 batch of your favorite cornbread

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Boil water and prepare pasta according to directions, shaving 1-2 minutes off the cooking time since the noodles are going into the oven. While the pasta is boiling, mix up a batch of your favorite cornbread and grate cheese. Drain pasta.

Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Add pasta to the bottom of the dish, then layer on the cheese and chili. Top with your cornbread batter, spreading gently with a spoon. Don’t worry if it doesn’t reach the edges.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden on top and cooked underneath. I used a spoon to lift up the cornbread to make sure it was cooked. Serve immediately. Leftovers are delicious for 3-4 days.

Note: depending on what cornbread mixture you use, your cooking time may differ. Just make sure to check it after 30 minutes or so. The cooking time will increase for the bread since it has “wet” layers underneath.

Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake I howsweeteats.com

I love you, carbs.

89 Responses to “Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake. {Dinner Tomorrow.}”

Ashley — September 17, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

You baked cornbread over chili, topped with pasta?????????? AHHHHHhhhloveyou.

• Cait's Plate — September 17th, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Seconded!! :)

• Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — September 17th, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

THIRDED!

• Stacie (Foodie2Shoes) — September 17th, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Can you fourth something? :)

• Helen — September 18th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

And fifth it?! A food blogger who LOVES carbs, this has made me so happy!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — September 17, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

oh man, my husband would love this!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — September 17, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Yum! That sounds so good. I love chili but don’t think I’ve ever had it with pasta. Sounds like my kind of deal. :)

• Dianna — September 19th, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

you’ve never had chili mac… or chili speghetti? I think I will cry for you……

Sharon {Grumpy, Sleepy, and Bashful} — September 17, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Two words. Get. Out. I am so going to try this. Thank you!!! Perfect for fall . . . although we’re still going to have a high of 90 next week. Oh, well. :)

Erica — September 17, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

oh my gosh- comfort food to the max! Such a creative lady

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — September 17, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

You’re ridiculous. And I love you.

Bev Weidner — September 17, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I feel like I just watched the most mind-blowing magic show.

Kaitlyn in Bookland — September 17, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

That sounds amazing!!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas — September 17, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

This is fabulous!

jenny — September 17, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I thought that was a layer of hummus on top! which would have also been delicious? I do love cornbread though.

Emily — September 17, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Wow, this sounds good. It’s like chili-mac topped with corn bread, two of the best things in the world!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — September 17, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Wow! Way to combine all the chili fixins into one fabulous dish. Super carb love!

what katie's baking — September 17, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

HOLY MOLY!
    this looks amazing!!!!!!!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — September 17, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

What a creative way to use up leftover chili. I love it!

Katie @ The Well-Fed Newlyweds — September 17, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Chili-Cheese-Carb Heaven. My favorite kind of meal. Looks delicious and perfect for a cool fall night!

Brittnee — September 17, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Looks delicious Jessica! I might actually try this now that you give me an idea for leftovers. The hubby hates leftovers but he might actually eat them if they were changed up a bit like this. Thank you!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — September 17, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

This looks so yummy. I almost always have my chili over pasta, even the first night I make it! I never thought to put it into casserole form though.

Candice — September 17, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

This is brilliant. I never know what to do with leftover chili other than just eat it, which I’m really not interested in doing after a day or two. And if it’s a bit spicy, the macaroni will help cut the heat for my son. I can’t wait to try this.

Maria — September 17, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Looks so good!

Deborah — September 17, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I love leftover ideas – this is great!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 17, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Seems so easy…even I could do it!

Kathryn — September 17, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

This looks fantastic, and better yet easy! My kids are gonna love this – if we happen to ever manage leftovers;)

cassie — September 17, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks delicious!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — September 17, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Yummm sounds like the perfect chilly weather comfort food!!

Kathryn — September 17, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

This is the perfect way to use up leftover chilli and anything that gets more carbs in my tummy can only be a good thing.

Shea — September 17, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Where I work we have random potluck lunches and this is literally screaming to be made for that. Oh. My. Yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — September 17, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

You’re a die-hard if you even had it for breakfast! :)

leftover chili + pasta = my childhood and my mother’s way to try to stretch a dollar and stretch the leftovers!

Kait @ One Love Run — September 17, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

what a yummy way to recycle left overs!

fittingbackin — September 17, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Well this looks insanely good – love it! Thanks for sharing!

mags — September 17, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

easy and delicious. and seriously…. who could ever tire of chili makeovers (can you say CHEESE?)

CouponClippingCook — September 17, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

Seriously, this sounds so good. Always looking for ways to use my leftover chili. I’m glad I’m not along eating chili for breakfast!

Khushboo — September 17, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

The best way to use up leftovers and eat a fancy meal too!

Caitlin @ Cake with Love — September 18, 2011 @ 12:05 am

This is taking corn and pasta to a whole new level, all I can say is WOW!!! And definitely the most genius way to use leftovers I have ever seen! Your husband is really lucky to have all this great meals!

Su — September 18, 2011 @ 4:23 am

This baked pasta seems just amazing and delicious, I’m sure that it would be perfect for me :)

Tracy — September 18, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I bet your husband loves you sooooo much! :-)

Nikki — September 18, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Oh. My. Lands.

Genius. This is everything I love in one dish. I can’t wait for the next time I have leftover chili so I can make it.

Marcella @ Sweet Marcella — September 18, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

GENIUS!

Alexis @ Eat.Write.Love. — September 18, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Oh man – I LOVE chili mac. Now you went a topped it with the always delicious cornbread?? You are my favorite. However my waistline will not be happy with this recipe…oh well!

betty — September 18, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

:O it looks delicious and I will SURE try it, I bet it is worth the calories

Katie@Cozydelicious — September 18, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

Oh man, this is amazing! A combo of my favorite foods! Carbs upon cheese upon carbs with some chili thrown in for flavor. How many spin classes would it take to burn off a helping or two?

michelle — September 18, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

I’m making a big batch of chilli just so that I can have leftovers for this!

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — September 18, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

The last time we had chili my husband said he thought if I topped my mac n’ cheese with it, that it would be the ultimate… now you’ve kinda beaten me too it… but took it to antoher level by adding corn bread! Looks and sounds fanfreakingtastic!

Ashley — September 18, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I want this right now, sounds so delicious!

Ann — September 18, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

Okay – that was SO clever! You are always so good about using your leftovers!

yak — September 19, 2011 @ 12:45 am

Get in me carbs! can i also just say what i love about your website is the fact that you dont a) take pictures of cookies wrapped in twine b) have photos where you’ve forced children to hold handfuls of berries in a whimsical manner or c) shown milk in jars and old timey bottles with red and white paper straws hanging out of them. Its killing me on all the other blogs yet you take such beautiful pictures of the fooooood. which is all i care about really.

Stephaniedem — September 19, 2011 @ 8:47 am

You mean grate cheese (he He). Thank you this looks great!!

Erin — September 19, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I need to make chi8li and ensure leftovers so I can have this!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — September 19, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Uh, I’m SO bookmarking this. The boy is going to flip when I make this. I’m so excited!

Liz J — September 19, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

…. genius…. thats all. :)

Jennifer — September 19, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

I never get sick of chili either I happen to have leftover chili, pepper jack cheese, & pasta in the house. ‘;m thinking this is what’s for dinner tonight :) Thank you for the idea.

1. Pingback: tidbits about beans « the edible perspective

2. Pingback: chili + cornbread just got better « the edible perspective

3. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – September 26, 2011 « Well-rounded Hippie

4. Pingback: As American As Chili | Food Snob St. Louis

5. Pingback: on my radar — Eat, Live, Run

6. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – October 3, 2011 « Well-rounded Hippie

7. Pingback: Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole — Oh She Glows

8. Pingback: Chili Bake « Will Run 4 Dinner

9. Pingback: Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole | Body Local

10. Pingback: I’m Lovin’ It | Punch It In!

11. Pingback: Cornbread Chili Bake | Nikkilooch

12. Pingback: The Best Thing I Ever Ate : Maria Makes Muffins * Minneapolis Clean Eating + Living *

13. Pingback: » Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake Brownies and Zucchini

14. Pingback: Are You Ready? + Chili Cornbread Bake | Corrie Anne

15. Pingback: Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake | The Spiffy Cookie

16. Pingback: 3 Bean Chili Pot Pies with Cornbread Biscuits | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is