I’m going to miss Summer.

We’ve gotten along quite well, sharing pitchers of margaritas and dozens of grilled corn ears.

And while Fall is my favorite season, and I really can’t wait to

drink spiked cider

burn spice candles

smell crisp air

watch Friday night football

crunch leaves under my feet

carve pumpkins and

pretend to like squash

… I don’t want to rush it. I’ve learned that it’s so important to be present, to not wish the days away, to relish each moment as it comes and not hope for the future to come too soon.

So don’t mind me. I’ll just be here picking corn out of my teeth until the leaves turn golden and the air turns crispy.

End of Summer Chicken Skillet

serves 3-4

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 slices of bacon, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 zucchini, chopped

1 bell pepper, chopped

10 small yukon gold potatoes, quartered

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 ears of grilled corn, cut off the cob

salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Tenderize meat (by pounding it with a tenderizer or skillet) and pat completely dry with a paper towel. Set aside. Chop potatoes and vegetables (except for garlic) and add to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

Heat a cast iron (or oven safe) skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add chopped bacon and cook until almost crispy and fat is rendered. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Add vegetables and potatoes to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Remove veggies and potatoes from skillet. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until golden on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. [Note: if the skillet is drying up feel free to add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil if needed].

Add veggies, potatoes and bacon back in to the skillet on top of the chicken. Add corn, then place in the oven uncovered and cook for 20 minutes.

P.S. put whatever the heck you want in this dish… it’s your own.

54 Responses to “End of Summer Chicken Skillet.”

Katrina — September 5, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I’m going to miss summer too :( This skillet sounds awesome!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — September 5, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I’m going to miss Summer, too! I just posted the other day that I wish it was summer year round, and no, I wouldn’t get sick of it. I don’t need a change of seasons (that’s why I live in San Diego). Growing up I had enough snow and cold to last me a lifetime. Won’t miss that! :)

Happy Labor Day. Don’t work too hard, ok!!

Sommer J — September 5, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Looks amazing!!! Love the writing, too :) Fall, too, is my favorite season! However since my husband wasnt here for much of the summer (or spring or winter) i want to cherish it as much as possible. The slight chillier chill in the air (cold summer in Germany!) gets me excited, but i want to cherish as much of summer as I can :)

Happy Labor Day!

Sweet and Savvy — September 5, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Ohh summer:( as much as I like fresh apples, fall means close to winter. Ew. Looks Like a great dish!

VeggieGirl — September 5, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Oooh, sensational skillet!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — September 5, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Love the flexibility of this dish! Whether summer is over or not, I’ll find a reason to make this :D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 5, 2011 @ 8:13 am

This looks amazing! I love recipes that are easy to customize and this is absolutely one of them. Just think of all the delicious fall skillet dinners you can do with rutabagas and butternut squash! I hope you had an incredible weekend Jessica!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook — September 5, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I can’t believe it’s the end of summer. But I’m also looking forward to the apple cider, colored leaves, cool evenings, and the crisp air. Great incorporation of summer flavors in this dish.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — September 5, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I’m not going to miss summer one bit! High humidity and no ac, it hasn’t been my favorite one.

I’m sad that i didn’t get any local corn this year. Maybe theres still some around? Not sure, I’ll have to check.

Gen — September 5, 2011 @ 8:44 am

Yuum!! Bacon in anything makes it taste better! :D

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — September 5, 2011 @ 9:02 am

<3 this! Quick and easy dinner! :-)

Fallon — September 5, 2011 @ 9:14 am

Sounds delicious, all my favorite kinds of vegetables! I can’t wait for Fall, I’m ready for cooler weather. Amen to spice candles!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — September 5, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I’m with you — I absolutely LOVE Fall. It is my favorite time of year, but this time of year is great too — where the air is still warm but it is definitely getting cooler. I don’t want to rush things!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — September 5, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I love fall, too, but am cherishing these last days of summer. This dish is perfect for that!

Erica — September 5, 2011 @ 9:30 am

I refuse to let go of summer. Im very content burning spice candles and baking with pumpkin while its 90 out;). Yummy skillet. Nothing like fresh corn

Cait's Plate — September 5, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I think I’ll stick with whatever the heck you put in there. I would be A-OK with ending my summer that way…

Stephanie — September 5, 2011 @ 9:42 am

This looks so good :) I love veggies, any veggie (almost) :)

Kathryn — September 5, 2011 @ 9:50 am

I think my boyfriend might actually eat some veggies if I served them up to him like this!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — September 5, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I’m going to miss summer too… Fall is great, but you just gotta love summer. This dish looks amazingly delicious and full of veggies. Perfect.

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze — September 5, 2011 @ 10:06 am

this post just made me want it to be fall even more… but i suppose I will attempt to relish the warm days of summer like you are. or I’ll go buy pumpkin beer and burn my pumpkin spice candle and pretend like it really is fall. :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — September 5, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I know it’s supposed to be a summer recipe but dang if it doesn’t conjure up the coziness of Fall comfort food! :-)

Erika - The Teenage Taste — September 5, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I totally agree with you! It is oh-so important to live in the moment and be present, but sometimes I still find myself looking forward to the future. Fall is my favorite season, too! :-)

Deborah — September 5, 2011 @ 10:38 am

I’m holding onto summer for as long as possible!! This looks like a perfect dinner for this time of year.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — September 5, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Summer is my favourite season, and I’m so sad to see it go! However, fall = pumpkin and I’ve already devoured 2 cans. This skillet looks delicious! I’ve been craving warmer food already and I love all the bright veggies in it. And I was just thinking… you’ve been eating a lot more veggies over the past 6 months or so than usual, so maybe this will turn out to be “the fall that you learned to REALLY like squash”?! Ya never know!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — September 5, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Wait, Jessica, I didn’t see bobbing for apples on your list. ;-)
    BLECH!
    I can’t believe we ever did that as kids. How completely unhealthy was THAT??!!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — September 5, 2011 @ 11:31 am

My husband would love this dish!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 5, 2011 @ 11:37 am

I guess I need to get a cast iron skillet. Or at least, that’s what I’ll tell Travis we need to buy in order for me to make this dish for him.

Alaina — September 5, 2011 @ 11:38 am

I have not been a huge fan of the summer we’ve had; I’m hoping that fall will come in full force this year. It feels like we had no spring either.

This dish has so many things that I love in it. :-)

CouponClippingCook — September 5, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

This sounds delish. Love the combination of comfort foods in this dish.

Lindsay @ biking before bed — September 5, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

This looks like the perfect hybrid of fall and summer. The cast iron skillet just screams fall to me… Maybe for apple crisp?

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 5, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

I’m with you. Let’s enjoy it as it happens.

Bev Weidner — September 5, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

Skillet dishes like this make me sing. And I sing really loudly. I have to keep the windows closed or else I could get hauled off to jail.

Just looking at this is causing a tune to brew. DARN YOU.

Kait @ One Love Run — September 5, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

This looks like such a yummy transition from summer into fall dish!

Ashley's Cooking Adventures — September 5, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

I just woke up over here in Japan and this made my stomach growl, I want it for breakfast!

Katie — September 5, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Waaah, I don’t want summer to end! I just stocked up on the end-of-the-summer corn sale at the grocery store, so this dish will be mine this week. Minus the chicken because, well, I don’t want to touch raw chicken. Maybe Meeker will do it for me.

Juju — September 5, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

Had a wonderful summer, but I’m ready for the fall :)
    Love this skillet meal! I just finished dinner, yet I want to eat this…

Shari — September 5, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I just finished making (and eating) this for dinner. It was absolutely delicious! I bought a cast iron skillet last week and this was the first meal I prepared in it. Thank you for sharing the fantastic recipe! I followed the directions and the flavor was soooooooooooo good :-)

Kelsey — September 6, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Just made this this evening with some variations (I added carrots) and it turned out great! Thanks! :D

Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time — September 6, 2011 @ 1:08 am

I really love that first picture you took. I’m always trying to think of new ways to photograph food, and I think that idea of putting pre-prepped food in your pan before you’re actually cooking is really ingenious :)

Tara @ The Butter Dish — September 6, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I love making skillets Jess. We even have them for lunch and of course breakfast. They’re so versatile and a full balanced meal minus the dessert. ☺

But then there are plenty of recipes to take care of that here too :)

Erin — September 6, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

You are so zen. I love it.

Amy — September 6, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Yum! This sounds delightful. I don’t have a skillet or anything that can go in the oven, I don’t think. Boo!

janetha — September 6, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Skillets are awesome. I love how anything goes!

Maggie @MaggieCooks — September 6, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Yummy! I would me some of that chicken! :)
    I love your pictures! So pretty!

Ann — September 6, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

This is terrific! You HAVE shared some amazing recipes with us this summer….thanks!

Becki@beckiswholelife — September 8, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Yum – way to get your protein, veggie and starch all in one skillet. Oh, and your bacon, too!! This looks delicious.

Clematis — September 11, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I made this yesterday and it was sooo good! The only problem I had was with the potatoes. I used red-skinned potatoes instead of the yukon gold and possibly that was a mistake, since the potatoes were still not cooked even after 40 minutes in the oven. Maybe yukon gold can cook at a lower temperature than regular or red potatoes? I ended up removing the potatoes and cooking them separately at a higher temperature and then returned them to the skillet. Next time I think I will boil my potatoes first before adding them to the skillet. But in the end, it was a great meal which we all enjoyed. Thanks for this great recipe!

Leslie — September 14, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

OK, I have just inhaled three large helpings of this! It is WONDERFUL! I am lazy so I just prepared it in the skillet (diced the potatoes smaller and gave them a head start). I am so glad that my laziness didn’t allow me to omit the corn- the corn and bacon are the perfect addition! Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe!

Ryann — September 16, 2011 @ 4:22 am

I found this on Pinterest and we just had it for dinner yesterday. It was amazing! I need a bigger skillet so I can double the recipe! Thank you!

Nicole — September 22, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

I don’t have a cast iron skillet. If I made everything in a pan and threw it together in a baking or casserole dish, do you think it would taste okay? If you think the texture or flavors wouldn’t come together as nicely, I suppose I could just get a skillet and try it then.

1. Pingback: A couple of Lovley Things | Fairytales of a Unicorn