Uhhh yes… why yes, I am posting a “recipe” for a milkshake.

Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Feel free to kick me in the teeth.

It’s not that I think you’re too inept to know how to put ice cream scoops and milk in a blender and push “start”… it’s just that I’m not sure you know how to add a few hefty slugs of bourbon.

See? I knew we were in this relationship for a reason.

Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Ooooh and I also really enjoyed this (some would say too much) and didn’t want you to go a day without it. That’s the real reason.

Okay… and the third (real) reason is that my last-minute planned cookies were a big fat fail on Tuesday and my teeth are sweet today. Sue me.

And I’ve already done all the other boring-yet-delicious, typical, !OMGit’spumpkinseason! recipes so what better way to ring in Fall with a refreshing beverage that tastes like pie with a side of liquor?

This is my kind of thing. I hope it’s yours too.

Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes

Yield: 2 shakes

Total Time: 10 minutes

2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cream or half and half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
2-3 ounces of bourbon
frosting + sprinkles (or cinnamon sugar) for glasses

Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until combined. Rim glasses with a light coating of frosting then dip in sprinkles. Pour in shake and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Top with whipped cream if desired. Serve!

Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes I howsweeteats.com

Oh and these fun autumn sprinkles? They came from Janetha. Man I love that girl.

328 Responses to “Grown Up Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes.”

Marty — September 22, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Love how you putt he sprinkles on the rim of the glass. Such a perfect touch!

Cheryl — September 22, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

This may be the most beautiful thing ever!!! I am so going to make this, this weekend. I love it! Love your blog too.

Bev Weidner — September 22, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Uh, I’m this close to putting on a scuba diving outfit and doing deep bourbon pumpkin milkshake diving.

Jessica — September 22, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Um, how fat are you???

• SBerg — September 22nd, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

My how Rude!

• Ashley — September 30th, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

Give me a break!

Mrs. Jen B — September 22, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

I love people who post stupid, groundless comments but don’t bother to leave a way to contact them. Awesome.

Anyway. Can I just have the bourbon? Oooh maybe I’ll make it a boilermaker of sorts, with the bourbon as a shot after I glug the shake. The mind boggles. ;)

Jessica — September 22, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

no, but really. you complain about your “tree trunk legs” and yet you post overtly indulgent recipes most days of the week. they really sound good, but its healthy (yes, its not a bad word) to alternate them with vegetables and things that dont have block of butter in them

• Jessica — September 22nd, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

You sure are sweet Jessica! Perhaps you missed the recent posts on my sidebar? They list these milkshakes, a cupcake recipe, then red pepper penne, chili, cornbread (made with whole wheat flour), and whole wheat soda bread. Not sure what your idea of healthy is, but those are all pretty healthy to me. To each their own. I definitely don’t “post overly indulgent recipes most days of the week” – I aim for 2 days, max. I’m no mathlete, but that’s about 29% which certainly is not “most days of the week.” In fact, these milkshakes have no “block of butter in them,” but seriously… if I could figure out a way to make a butter milkshake I totally would. I also have never said that “healthy” is a bad word. In fact, I love most healthy things… just not vegetables.
      Say hi to your bud Perez Hilton for me since that’s who’s email you used.

• Ashley — September 30th, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Is it bad that I actually want to try a butter milkshake now?? :-)

Salted Butter Milkshake Shooter
        from http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com
        Prep time: 15 minutes

1/4 cup Real California butter
        1/4 cup caramel sauce
        4 cups Real California vanilla ice cream, softened

Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. When butter begins to foam, swirl skillet several times. Cook and swirl until butter starts to brown; remove from heat. Let cool slightly, then whisk in caramel sauce. Slowly whisk in butter mixture. Serve as shooters in shot glasses or as shakes in large glasses.

Makes about 3 to 3 1/2 cups.

• Jessica — September 30th, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

OMG I love you.

sarah — September 22, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Part one: Please delete the comments from “Jessica.” They are a waste of space here. (Although I wouldn’t mind if bloggers talked a little less about their body dissatisfaction, but that’s because I can’t stand the fact that women hate their bodies so much, not because I think you should post healthier recipes.)
    Part two: That milkshake looks obscenely, ridiculously, amazingly delicious. Unfortunately, I have no bourbon in the house right now. Or ice cream, half and half or pumpkin, for that matter. Sad.

Amanda — September 22, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

I don’t know how bloggers put up with mean people.

Jessica — September 22, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

look, its just a milkshake. and you know what, sarah? you agreed with me. i just hate it when people eat things and then complain they are fat. i love eating things! just dont talk about bathing suits and crying afterwards. im sure jessica looks fine. its just when you complain about it and fish for compliments that its annoying

Booky — September 22, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Wow. talk about mean people! Good for you Jessica, you responded to that comment with grace, never stooping to “Jessica”s level. Also, I. Want. Those. Sprinkles.

Jimmie — September 22, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

Thank you soooo much! My local ice cream place doesn’t have pumpkin ice cream yet (and they don’t put liquor in it for you.. tisk tisk) so this will tide me over until they get their act together.

P.S. This other Jessica needs to stop reading your blog if she thinks it is so unhealthy, and you handled it with such dignity and class, yet another reason I adore this blog :)

Freda — September 22, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Keep these yummy recipes coming my way, I’m also from Pittsburgh GO STEELERS!!!

Melissa@IWasBornToCook — September 22, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Yeah, baby.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — September 22, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

I’m laughing at your “!Ohmygoshitspumpkinseason!” comment. I’m totally one of them too. ;) although I would certainly go for a bourbon spiked pumpkin pie milkshake.

Erin — September 22, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Tracy — September 22, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Definitely my thing. I heart pumpkin season!

Francine — September 22, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Would be awesome at Halloween parties :) Do you think you could use whiskey instead of bourbon? Like Jack Daniels maybe?

• Kelli — September 23rd, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Jack Daniels is bourbon, so yes, you could use it. :)

• Jess (from KY) — September 23rd, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Actually, Jack Daniels is whiskey because it doesn’t come from Kentucky and not made mostly from corn. :) But yes, they are similar in flavor.

• Kathy Z — September 26th, 2011 @ 11:48 am

I totally made it this weekend with Jim Beam. :) It’s what we had in the house. It was delicious, but Jack would probably have been better.

CouponClippingCook — September 23, 2011 @ 2:05 am

How beautiful this looks! What a perfect way to serve this. I’m so craving this now.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 23, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Since tomorrow is the official first day of fall, I am going to start my season out right, with your delicious milkshake. Who needs pumpkin pie for dessert, when I can make this. Can’t wait to try it! Thank you for sharing, I am sure my Hubby would thank you too!! ;)

Roseanna — September 23, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Pumpkin and bourbon, with ice cream…I’m in! What a delicious fall treat; thanks for sharing.

Cristy — September 23, 2011 @ 7:35 am

YUM!!!!! And since it’s already Fall according to the calendar but still eight hundred degrees outside in DC (and this morning greeted us with air outside that’s like walking through molasses–yippee!!) this’ll be on the table this evening with dinner. Aw, heck. The kids get off school early. I’ll get them some booze-free ones and then one (in the same glass) for me…nobody at the playground’ll know a thing. (We used to put beer in sippy cups for the grown ups while the kids played at the park after school….but THAT, my dear, is a whole other story).

Stay calm and EAT A ONE POUND BLOCK OF BUTTER, I like to say. You go! :)

LOVE. this. blog.

Sandra — September 23, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Jodi — September 23, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Made these last night & my husband & I both thought they were delicious!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

Amandam — September 23, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I just adore how you see the world. I think you are making it a better place! :)

CHRISTOPHER — September 23, 2011 @ 8:45 am

clearly this is a special occassion since your using jim beam instead of the traditional lovett favorite Ancient Age

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Irwin stopped selling Ancient Age!!

TidyMom — September 23, 2011 @ 8:59 am

you go girl!!!
    lol……..love this recipe!

DessertForTwo — September 23, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Omg, can I please have one of these for breakfast?!
    I’m such a whiskey freak! I’m thinking about doing a collection of all my whiskey recipes!

P.S. Hope you’re having a blast!! Miss ya xo

erin — September 23, 2011 @ 9:19 am

I cannot wait to make these, I love autumn and all the pumpkin apple flavor goodness. And this just takes it one step further! Thanks for sharing!

Danielle — September 23, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Ok, not only does this make me want to jump through the monitor, I have seriously been drooling at all of your posts this week. For whatever reason, I can’t get your noodle/chili/cornbread thing out of my head! You’ve definitely captured me this week (:

Kristen — September 23, 2011 @ 10:22 am

This is one over indulgent delicious looking treat – and the bourbon addition is brilliant. YUM! Love it!

Erika — September 23, 2011 @ 11:31 am

My grocery store should be scared because I’m planning on purchasing cases of pumpkin and then making one or two of these delicious shakes!! Love you & love pumpkin season!

Rachel Wilkerson — September 23, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Seriously gorgeous…the sprinkles on the rim are just a grand slam.

I may have actually made this the background on my computer to help me feel like I can get in the fall spirit even if it’s 95 degrees here!

Kim of Mo'Betta — September 23, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

This is just flat out awe.some. The pics rock and scream FALL :D

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — September 23, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Well since I’m mourning the official end of summer, nothing sounds better than a little bourbon in my milkshake.

Keli — September 23, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

This sounds delicious! I found it on pinterest and am repinning it :) I can’t wait to make them for my fiance, he will just love them. Thank you for sharing the recipe!!

Keli — September 23, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

And anyway, Jessica, if you have such a problem with what she posts then don’t read the blog!

Kim C. — September 23, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Thank You so much for posting this recipe! It sounds Delicious and I’m loving the pictures!!! I think, for reasons unknown, maybe because I’m craving a latte right now that replacing the milk with cold cinnamon or pumpkin coffee would be really good!

P.S. I’m sorry, I know you aren’t really a fan of coffee.

I really enjoy reading your blog and your recipes so much! Thank You :D

Amanda - Leap of Taste — September 23, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

a pumpkin milkshake? with sprinkles? AND bourbon? i need one STAT.

Ann — September 23, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

This looks amazing…so delicious that I had to show Honey Bunny….he agrees!

Callie — September 24, 2011 @ 1:21 am

Oh my goodness! I just found this on Pinterest (which is an awese website if you havent checked it out) but I appreciate you sharing this wonderful looking recipe! Thank goodness it’s a free country and you don’t have to look at all/any of your recipes for the sake of your blogger, Jessica. By the way, I have a minor in nutrition but I don’t think it would take a rocket science to figure out there isn’t butter here. Word the wise, pick your battles and saying insulting things to people doesn’t help you or them. Anyways, I am always looking for awesome recipes and appreciate your knowledge!

Dana@TheSundaySweet — September 24, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I’m a sucker for milkshakes. Big time. Even thought of the extensive calorie intake. It doesn’t count with milkshakes, right? Love this pumpkin milkshake! Espcially with the added sprinkles. Can never have two many of those babies.

Alicia @ Treble Tart — September 24, 2011 @ 8:58 am

This looks so divine!! I am definitely adding the ingredients to my store list today. :D

Andrea — September 24, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Uhm. Hello? Yes. Hi.

THANK YOU!!! :P

Yum! Cheers!

julie — September 24, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

I think I need one in order to continue living.

Mandy Mae — September 24, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

IMHO, pumpkin=fruit therefore this delicious sounding recipe has to be healthy

Lisa — September 25, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Yummy! Sounds so good. I’m going to have to try it!

Laura — September 25, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

OMG. So good! I just made them. Everyone loved them! Also, I just found your blog a week ago or so and I have fallen in love. This is the first blog I have ever followed! That means you must be doing something right. Haha.

• Jessica — September 25th, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Thank you so much Laura! That made my night. :)

Janelle — September 25, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

I found this on Pinterest, and I think I need to go buy vanilla ice cream tomorrow. I don’t drink…at all…so I’ll be leaving out the whiskey, and my husband isn’t huge into pumpkin, so I’ll probably half the recipe. But I really want to make it directly in a mason jar, like I’ve also seen all over Pinterest. Thanks for the recipe!

Kathy Z — September 26, 2011 @ 11:53 am

I made these this weekend following your recipe. :) It says the recipe makes two shakes, and that’s how we split it, but I couldn’t finish mine. It was tasty, but a little too rich/creamy and I’m a dairy girl from WI. :) If I make again, I’d use all milk and leave out the half and half. Thanks for the idea!

Sadie — September 26, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

trick or freakin’ treat! this is the greatest idea EVER!