I hope you like a thick bowl of chili.

Uhh… because this pot contains all of this. Above and below.

Yep. Yes sirree.

Oh! And it also has beer in it.

It’s my third Fall writing this blog and oddly enough, this is my third chili recipe. But I’ve told you this little secret before… I never use a recipe for chili.

Ever. Blah blah blah, old news.

Yet here I am, semi-lying to you because technically this is the third time I’ve had to use a recipe; the other two being for my previous posts in order to share them with you.

It’s cool because I like you.

Soon after I got married, I quizzed my mom on how to make the perfect pot of chili. Over the phone she gave me a rundown of what she uses: ground beef, tomato puree, tomato sauce, tomato paste, assorted vegetables and seasonings, kidney beans and the like. Ever since, I have used a mish mash of those ingredients, give or take my own substitutions, never measuring a dang thing and tasting until it’s flavored just right.

This is my ideal way to cook anything and as far as I know, I’ve never made a “bad” pot of chili. Except for that one night last November when the lid to my salt shaker was loose and yes… it alllll went streaming down into my pot. I tried the trendy trick of adding potatoes to to soak up the salt, but uh… that didn’t really work out. Instead, I watched my 15 cups of chili swirl down the drain and then went to Five Guys for dinner.

Best burger ever.

This is one of those pots that is going to taste best after cooking all day. Use your crock pot or your dutch oven, and cook it for hours upon hours ’til the beef pulls apart and melts in your mouth. If you’re looking for an incredibly easy, “weeknight” recipe, this isn’t it. But you’re in luck – I made some easy 5-step chili last year which is much more my usual speed.

So I’m warning you: this makes a massive pot of comfort. Leave out the beans, add in some chipotles, up the cayenne or dive in and swim. Make it your own, and tomorrow I’ll share something totally dunkable and delicious to go on top of your bowl. Then after that, I’ll show you something even better. Pinky swear.

Hearty Chili

2 15-ounce cans of light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

12 ounces of beer

5 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder

3 tablespoons of cumin

1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

1/2 tablespoon black pepper

salt for layering flavor and seasoning

+ your favorite chili toppings

[I began this recipe by searing both my beef roast and the pork ribs (not the ground beef). I seasoned them both with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, then added about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bottom of my giant stock pot and seared them over high heat on all sides for 1-2 minutes, until color developed. Before I seared them, I did NOT remove the fat. Both meats were fairly lean and I found that the fat added so much flavor. None of the meat ended up tasting “fatty” in the chili whatsoever. Searing took me 4 batches, but was completely worth it and resulted in super tender meat. I removed each batch and let it drain on a paper towel while the other batch seared. This is why there is a bit of extra olive oil listed in the recipe, for searing purposes.]

After searing the beef and pork, turn the heat on your large stock pot down to medium and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and peppers with a sprinkle of salt, and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and jalapenos, and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring every so often. Turn the heat up to medium-high and season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and crumble it with a wooden spoon, then cook it for 6-8 minutes, tossing occasionally until it browns through and the liquid cooks off.

Turn the heat back down to medium-low and add the pork and beef roast back in, the beans, the tomato sauce, paste, and puree, and stir to combine. Add in the beer and the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 tablespoon black pepper) , stirring once more. Cover and let simmer for 1-2 hours. Once that time has passed, taste the chili and determine if you would like more seasonings. I did not add in any additional salt because I layered every flavor with salt: the meats and the sauteed veggies. Turn the heat down to low and cook chili for an additional 2-4 hours, or longer.

Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but I recommend immediately filling a few containers to freeze.

Three bowls for me please!

147 Responses to “Super Hearty Chili. {Dinner Tonight: Part 1}”

Katie — September 15, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Good land. Why did I read this when I was starving? I want a bowl (or three) of chili at 9:45am.

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I actually ate some chili for breakfast. True story.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — September 15, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Hmmm…how could this chili be any better? It can’t.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — September 15, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Heck yeah that’s a hearty bowl of chili!!

sara — September 15, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

This chili looks AWESOME! Super delicious flavors – yum!!

Brittnee — September 15, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

This looks awesome. I really want some now.

Michelle Walker — September 15, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

As soon as – wait if it EVER cools off here in Te xas, I will make this chili. And I have never made chili
    as I’ve never cared for it much. his recipe though, looks really delicious. And it is football season. And I Do live in Texas, where chili is the official football food. Now what are we going to make to top it
    with? Corn bread?? Can’t wait to find out!

mary @ what's cookin with mary — September 15, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I always just use ground meat in my (slowcooker) chili, but I may have to put in the extra effort. The flavor you must get from those lovely cuts of meat have got to be divine. I always add a bottle of beer to any chili I make. Gotta love those tasty beer filled under tones of flavor. Looking forward to chili season now. …and I agree… Always make lots and freeze some right away for a rainy day.

Saba — September 15, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

OMG if you love five guys you have to try Burger 7 in Virginia. It’s a combination between five guys and In-n-out ( from the West coast). They use fresh organic ingredients and everything is made fresh in front of you, including the fires which are fried in olive oil! I am really picky with my burgers but after having a B7 I was sold!

If you’re ever in the DC/VA area you have to check it out! ( ps they even have a double decker burger and sweet potato fries for Mr. How Sweet ;) – my husband loved it! )

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

It’s basically a life goal of mine to have In-n-Out, so I’m sure i would love that.

• Saba — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

In-n-Out burgers are amazing – they are literally worth a plane ticket to the west coast! Try the Double Double animal style ( double patty burger smothered with grilled onions, melted cheese, and their special sauce). This isn’t actually on the menu – its actually from the “secret menu”, you have to specifically ask for it but its well known at every In-n-Out location.

mis-cakes — September 15, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

this looks so good! my bf hates beans so i never make chili but i could totally make this and then not share. it would be great. he would have a giant pot of fabulous looking him straight in the face but never be able to touch it. pure torture. or i guess i could just leave the beans out…. we will just have to wait and see.

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

You could definitely leave out the beans, maybe just decrease the tomato puree by 1 or a 1/2 cans, just so it’s still thick.

• Mis cakes — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Thanks I actually have this booked marked to make next weekend I’m excited

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — September 15, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

These photos are incredible! I’ve never thought of using avocado on chili before, but it’s so good on everything else – why not?!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen — September 15, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

My husband “hates chili”, but with three kinds of meat in this baby, I’m pretty sure I can convince him to try this one!

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

How can a man hate chili? Change his mind with this!

• Erin — September 15th, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

My husband hates soup. SOUP! Feel bad for me.

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Ohhh! Actually, my husband really doesn’t do soup either! So annoying. But he does chili since it usually has meat in it and you know… that’s what he lives for.

Jess D. — September 15, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Hi there! I just started reading this blog the other day when I was looking for Cake Batter Rice Cripies recipe…and I found a great one here. I have a question about this chili, do you think you could use pork roast instead of the pork ribs?
    Thanks!

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Definitely! That would be delicious. One of my favorite foods.

• Jess D. — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

Thanks!!! I am thinking I am going to pair this with a cheesy jalapeno cornbread… yum yum!

janetha — September 15, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

CHILI! best part about cold months. well, that and hoodies.

Holly — September 15, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Wow! That looks delicious! Since fall weather is slowly creeping in on us here in Kentucky, I’m so ready to start making soups/stews/chili! I’ve never tried chili with meat other than ground beef so I’m looking forward to giving this a try.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 15, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Three cuts of meat…Travis would be in heaven. Might get me out of the dog house for roasting broccoli and making the house stink.

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Ha!

Elina (Russian Bites) — September 15, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

This does look hearty. I love a good pot of chili but probably make it once a year as well :)

Heather Byrd — September 15, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

HEY, ARE WE TAKING BETS FOR THE DUNKABLES DAY 1 & DAY 2?

HM… DAY 1 Something cheesy and crusty
    DAY 2… Corn Bread! <— I got $5 on it! (Like Snoop Dogg, Ya Know?)

Mrs. Jen B — September 15, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I love the fact that the fall is coming and therefore huge pots of chili will become acceptable again. Extra cheese on mine, please.

The Elegant Eggplant — September 15, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

LOVE the different kinds of meat in here. I can’t wait for fall.. means chili and pumpkin EVERYTHING!!!

Kait @ One Love Run — September 15, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

so excited for a yummy chili recipe! it’s one of my favorite foods of the fall/winter (okay and sometimes spring or summer) season!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 15, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

It was 40 degrees this morning. It’s already chili weather for me!

cassie — September 15, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Yum! I may have to make this for my Hubby, he loves chili! =D

KathyCalculates — September 15, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

I am invited to a big chili party the first of October where everyone is invited to bring their favorite pot of chili or a side. This is definitely going to be my contribution to the party!

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

awesome! You’ll have to let me know how it turns out. :)

Cookbook Queen — September 15, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

I’ll take a bowl with cheese and fritos, please!!

And sour cream.

And hot dogs.

Lindsay @ biking before bed — September 15, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Holy guacamole that looks incredible. Chili with three types of meat… Thank god I gave up on that vegetarian phase a few years ago… I did the same thing with my salt grinder a couple months ago. All the pink Himalayan salt from my trader joes grinder… In the pot… But I didn’t want to waste food… Yea I was dehydrated for a week.

kelly — September 15, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

This looks delicious! And yes, Five Guys are the best burgers! Their potatoes are grown about 30 miles from me. :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — September 16, 2011 @ 12:38 am

Holy wow…this looks amazing, this is not for vegan eyes ;)

I used to LOVE thick, full chili with bread! Now I kind of like it soupier….strange, right?

xxoo

Mimi — September 16, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Oh wow…perfect timing with our crisp weather yesterday and today! Yesterdays chill was overcome by eggplant parm…today may call for chili! :)

Fran@fransfavs.com — September 16, 2011 @ 7:57 am

We’re definitely on the same wavelength. I posted my husband’s fabulous steak chili yesterday: http://www.fransfavs.com/2011/09/steak-chili/ It looks quite similar to yours minus the beer. I can’t wait to show your recipe to him. I have a feeling he’ll be trying it soon!

Skinny Fat Kid — September 16, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Why did I never think to use real meat in chili??!! I’ve always used ground beef or turkey.

And you can’t make chili without beer!

Paula — September 16, 2011 @ 11:12 am

What kinds of beer do you use?

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — September 16, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

All chili sound be so lucky as to have BEER in it! ;) YUM!

Erin — September 16, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I am definitely not opposed to a big thick bowl of chili. Especially when the ingredients pictured are involved.

Sonnet Gal — September 16, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

OMG! This looks amazing and it is FINALLY cooler in Texas…in the 80’s, but that means time to make chili! I have called my mom in the past for recipes, and it usually goes something like this.
    Me: Mom, I want to make your chili tonight. Can you tell me how to make it?
    80 year-old-mother: Oh, I don’t have a recipe I just use (lists ingredients).
    Me: How much chili powder?
    80 year-old-mother: Oh….I just know when I see how much is on top.
    Me: How much would be on top? A teaspoon?
    80 year-old-mother: Oh…no…more than that…
    Me: 2 teaspoons?
    ….and you see how it goes?
    My solution? I flew my mother from Missouri to Texas in order to have her cook. :-)

Lauren — September 16, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

I just made this…. cant wait to make frito pie!!!! Have to wait for the boy to get home. Smells yum!

Shea — September 16, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

Mouth. Is. Watering. That is all.

Ann — September 17, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Oh, this looks amazing! Fall is the perfect time for chili…I agree – freeze some right away! You won’t regret it!

Alaina — September 17, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

Chili is the best thing about fall!! Thank you for making this delicious recipe and it’s partnered corn bread. :-)

Damla — September 18, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I actually made this the other day for dinner, and I have never seen my family eat anything so enthusiastically! It was pure deliciousness!

Susan Stonick — September 18, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Delicious! Made it tonight and took over friends for movie night. I am looking forward to Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake tomorrow!!

Kera — September 19, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I made this this weekend. It is worth every single bite!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I added more chili powder and garlic to mine as I like it HOT. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Lauren — September 21, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I know what I’m making for dinner Sunday :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 21, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Wow… This chili looks fantastic. I really could go for a big bowl of chili tonight!

dena — September 24, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Made this today! Delicious!!! I loved how thick the sauce was and how meaty it was! I used an O’Fallen Smoked Porter which will now be my “go to” chili beer! The tomatoes my husband bought were not my usual and tasted pretty acidic so I added a 1/2 square of Bakers semi sweet chocolate… Doesn’t taste chocolatey, but did balance out the acid! Thanks for the recipe!

Marzouq — September 24, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Hi! I love the recipe and the look of it! But what I can substitute with the bear? I have loved Chilli All my life but never thought of making it at home, never really got it right!

Thank you!

Liz — September 25, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

I just finished eating a bowl of chili. I used my recipe and aspects of yours like jalapeno (it’s chili, I didn’t think I could ruin it too badly) and it turned out to be the best batch I’ve made yet! Thanks for the help!

Molly W — October 7, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

Made the chili today, did all the prep in a pan on the stove then transferred to my slow cooker for the day. Didn’t have enough cumin, so only added about 1 tblspn. It has turned out quite tasty, but rather sweet. I prefer my chili less sweet, but I love all of the elements to this, especially the 3 meats and the beer. What can I do to reduce the sweetness? Thanks for providing yet another excellent recipe btw! You are an awesome cook and I love your blog!

Molly W — October 8, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Oh I take it back! Just used last night’s chili for baked eggs this morning and it’s heavenly! the chili is perfectly balanced between sweet and spicy! I’m in love!

Christine — October 16, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

I made this today and it was delicious!!! I love the addition of real beef instead of just hamburger. Next time I think I’ll substitute sausage for the pork short ribs but overall a fantastic recipe! Thanks!!!

Melissa — October 19, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

I am DYING to make this! I am actually planning on making it for our life group for our pot luck lunch this Sunday. But…I was going to make it in my slow cooker. I’m a little afraid it might be too small though…I think it’s 3.5 quarts. Do you think it’s big enough for this massive amount of deliciousness?!?!?

Melissa :-)

• Jessica — October 20th, 2011 @ 8:12 am

Yeah, this is DEFINITELY too much for 3.5 qt slow cooker. Maybe try halving the recipe?

• Melissa — October 20th, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

I thought it might be. But…I’m just going to borrow my mom’s crock pot and split the recipe between hers and mine so I can make the entire batch! I want to make sure and have plenty to keep for me and my hubby so we can freeze it. That way we can make your Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake with the lefover chili! So excited!!!