1. I know I told you last week that I don’t love oatmeal, but that was a bit of a lie. I do like oatmeal – Quaker flavored instant oatmeal that is. It was my staple breakfast for probably over 10 years as a kid, my favorites being peaches and cream and strawberries and cream. So, so good. I even used to eat it DRY. Yes, like straight out of the package. I love normal food.

2. Another totally underrated snack is tortilla chips with cheese melted on them in the microwave. And no, I don’t mean tortillas cut into triangles and baked in your oven… though I can make do with those in a pinch. Crispy, out-of-the-bag tortilla chips. Grate your cheese, pile it on top, zap for 30 seconds, eat. Welcome to my teenage world of food.

3. A few weeks ago in yoga one of the instructors was playing Lucia Micarelli, to which I had to stop mid-downward facing dog (this should tell you *just* how calm my mind really gets) and find out exactly what music was playing right that very instant. I’ve since downloaded every piece by her and it’s all I’ve been listening to. I don’t even know what this classifies me as anymore.

4. At the risk of sounding trendy, I’m gonna be straight up and tell you that I really love this chocolate coconut water.

Up until this point the only thing coconut water has been good for is my gag reflex – I’ve thought it was disgusting. But this stuff tastes pretty good, sort of like a thin chocolate milk with a hint of coconut flavor. And no, I’m not going to tell you that it tastes like chocolate milk because that would be like telling you that kale chips taste like potato chips. Uhhhhh no.

4. Bella graduates from puppy school tomorrow.

Hopefully between then and now she will learn where she can and can’t sit.

5. We are looking to take a mini vacation for our anniversary, which has to be hugely husband-approved since he hasn’t been on vacation this year. I am really, really bad at geography (but not as bad as I am at math), but we want to stay mainly on the East coast… but it doesn’t have to be on the coast. Does that make sense? That was a lot of “but’s.” How about you just tell me where an awesome place would be to visit?

6. I really want to buy these boots, but only if a pair of legs are included. I think that’s more than fair considering the price.

120 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — September 6, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

I used to love the apple cinnamon packets with those freeze dried apples that plumped up in the microwave. So good.

Julie @SavvyEats — September 6, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Upstate New York. For these reasons:

1. Wine country. Duh.

2. Adirondacks and/or Catskill Mountains.

3. Ridiculous number of lakes.

4. You could visit me! Not for the whole vacation, since you probably want couple-time for your anniversary, but we could at least meet for dinner or something. Like at the tapas place with amazing food (and plenty of meat dishes for the husband’s sake)

Kim — September 6, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

Charleston, SC has everything you could possibly want out of a vacation! World class restaurants, shopping, architecture, history, gorgeous hotels and bed and breakfasts, beaches, art galleries, professional theatre, spas, exceptionally friendly locals, various city tours (if you’re into that sort of thing), a great night life and “The Best New Restaurant in America” !

kimz — September 6, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Yes! I second Charleston, SC. I used to live there and long to go back all the time. Plus, this is the perfect time to go – not too hot at all. Asheville, NC is another great option. The mountains are absolutely gorgeous!

Laura @ Meet Virginia — September 6, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Tortilla chips and cheese were totally my teenage world of food, too!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — September 6, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

My husband and I are going to do a mini-vacation for our 1 year wedding anniversary this year and we’re thinking the Finger Lakes. People keep raving to us about how beautiful, relaxing, etc they are. So that combined with the fact that we are currently in a kid-free time in our lives, we choose to take vacations that are centered around drinking copious amounts of wine and being lazy.

Holly — September 6, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

I think the SAME thing about coconut water- yuck! But I have yet to try the chocolate one…since you recommended it, I might just have to now..especially since I DEFINITELY trust your judgement when it comes to food! :)

Anne @ Baking Me — September 6, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

I am totally with you on the instant Quaker oatmeal. I ate it as a kid too, but I would always get the brown sugar oatmeal and I never ate it straight from the package, but I did mix it with cold milk, which actually wasn’t very good. I bought a box of the brown sugar instant oatmeal just today, I love eating this stuff when the weather starts to turn and the mornings get cooler. Also I love those boot! I have been eyeing them for a while but I just don’t think I bring myself to spend that kind of dough on shoes :)

Kelly — September 6, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

i love that our anniversaries are close…we must be bff’s :o)

uhh we will be in Akron for fred’s wedding…is there anything to do there?!

Krissy @ Make It Naked — September 6, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

Charlottesville VA! Great foodie town! Lots to do and see. Vineyards, hikes, Monticello, vineyards, great local eats, cute bed and breakfasts, vineyards.

Lindsay@bikingbeforebed — September 6, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I recommend a trip to upstate Vermont. There are some great bed and breakfasts and the leaves will be gorgeous this time of year. And a trip to the Ben and Jerrys factory is a must!

megabrooke — September 6, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

chocolate coconut water is the bees knees!

also, come to boston!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 6, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

BOSTON…thats all I have to say :)

Julie F. — September 6, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

I recommend Charleston, SC also! So many things to see and do! It’s full of history. Hubby and I celebrated our anniversary there last year…and for someone like you who loves and appreciates food, it’s got phenomenal restaurants. I recommend OAK steakhouse (Mr How Sweet would love it there; they specialize in steaks and chops!, and everything else is a la carte)- I have since become a vegetarian, but would set aside my dietary choice for that filet mignon again. it’s that good.

Tonia — September 6, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Newport, RI. Or Berkshire mountains

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — September 6, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Shoot, I still have instant oatmeal every now & again even though it may not be the best for you. Also my favorite snack is chips & salsa. Some things will always be guilty pleasures! And man your dog is growing so huge!

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — September 6, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

As a west coast girl, I have no idea what to suggest for your vacay. Those are gorgeous boots though! And Frye is super high quality…they’ll last forever!

rose — September 6, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

The Maple and the Brown Sugar flavours were a very long childhood breakfast phase for me! So yummy.. And it’s totally bogus to compare Kale chips to Potato chips! I mean, its a passable way to eat greens, sometimes, but… as if! :)

April was in CT now CA — September 7, 2011 @ 1:51 am

Acadia National Park in Maine. We went for our 10 year anniversary (almost a year ago now, holy crap!) and had a fantastic time. It was so pretty with the leaves turning colors and there is so much to do there. We stayed in a cottage a short drive from Acadia and Bar Harbor and the place was perfect. Creaky wood floors, lots of character, a kitchen we could make some of our own meals in; I’ll never forget that little place. It was MUCH better than staying at a hotel and the price was cheaper for the week than any hotel I could find. It was our first and only (so far) real vacation and if we were still on the east coast we’d go back again this year and do the things we didn’t have time for the first go ’round.

I’ve been having the nuked chips/melted cheese snack for years now and it’s an old standby that never gets old. What’s ever better? Use the slices of American cheese! LOL

Kacey — September 7, 2011 @ 5:00 am

Massanutten Virginia-its a great mountain resort with beautiful accomododations. Plus less than 5 hours from the ‘burgh. :)

Cissy — September 7, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Come visit Savannah! It is a gorgeous city. The beach is 15 minutes away. You could also go to Charleston (2 hours away) or Hilton Head (45 minutes). You can stay with me if you like!!!!

Kim in MD — September 7, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I third Charleston S.C. or Savannah…both are so beautiful! Bella is adorable, and I am loving those boots! Oh- and the only way I will eat oatmeal is in a cookie! ;-)

Terry — September 7, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Charleston is amazing – lots of great restaurants, AND lots of great shopping! Hilton Head is another great place – fabulous beaches and again, great restaurants and shopping. If you’re looking to stay closer to the Burgh, Nemacolin is gorgeous and their spa – wow! Have a great anniversary!!!

Lynn — September 7, 2011 @ 7:53 am

You have some hard choices here, but I think I’d go for Newport. Rhode Island is a little, teensy state but there’s so much to see and do there. Go into Providence. Have an Olneyville New York System Hot Weiner, or three. Here’s their FB page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Olneyville-New-York-System/65118350419?ref=ts There’s a Portuguese restaurant called Riviera – they have AWESOME mariscada, which is a fish stew. It has about everything that swims in it and half a lobster on top. I nearly swooned three times during dinner. The places to eat in Newport are to numerous to mention and most of them are fabulous. There are also all kinds of other little towns in RI, on the water – it’s a good place to just explore. OK, I guess I vote for Newport, as much as I love Charleston. Be sure to let us all know what YOU decide. It is, after all, your vacation.

Jessica — September 7, 2011 @ 8:11 am

can’t believe Bella is graduating puppy school already.. where does the time go? I’m not an east coaster so not sure where you should go, but Happy Anniversary, I know you & Mr. How Sweet will have a great time no matter what

Lindsay — September 7, 2011 @ 8:29 am

My vote: Cape Cod or Newport, RI. I’m a complete homer to each – went to school in Newport and am from MA, so the Cape is standard name dropping, but I think they’re both really romantic and you would enjoy on your anniversary! Plus, great seafood at both places :smile:

Jaimee h — September 7, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Totally ate tortilla chips with….and still do from time to time. Another SUPER healthy snack my sister and I had was melted Hershey bars and marshmallows-microwave and stir together, proceed to eat bowl of melty mess. We called it “fudge” we were revolutionary!!!

Christa — September 7, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Charleston! or Savannah. St. Simons Island even. Each of those places would be great and all have amazing food options and entertainment. Even though it’s “down south” it is getting cooler here and it’s really the perfect time of year :)

Nancy B. — September 7, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Do you have a passport? Hit up Niagara Falls. The hubster and I celebrated our 10th anniversary there, got a whirlpool room with a falls view. Beautiful and romantic!

Mimi — September 7, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Love those boots! :)
    I suggest Lake George in the Adirondacks – peaceful, serene with loads to do or Camden/Portland Maine area – take a windjammer cruise for a few days down the coast.
    Happy Anniversary and remember, Steeler nation is everywhere for Mr. Sweet!

Lauren — September 7, 2011 @ 9:13 am

ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA!!! Mountains, lakes, a big rock to jump off of into the water, fresh food markets, and awesome people to be around. Hope you have a great time!

Katalina — September 7, 2011 @ 9:18 am

NC is awesome, but you can also check upstate New York, for the labor day we visited Lake Placid and Lake George in NY, both are gorgeous places!

Katalina — September 7, 2011 @ 9:21 am

and in Pigeon forge, Tennessee, they have these great cabins in the Smokey Mountains with big balconies and januzzi, very nice to have dinner at the balcony and watch the sunset in the jacuzzi with some champagne :)

Rachel — September 7, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Hi, love your blog! Can I please have that puppy?! My bf and I recently celebrated our anniversary in wine country hume, VA, stayed at this B&B, http://www.marriottranch.com/, definitely recommend!

Jamie — September 7, 2011 @ 9:53 am

First of all, LOVE those boats!

Secondly, Lake George is amazing! and a great place to take a long weekend (or even a long week!). Rent a boat and cruise the lake (which is absolutely breath taking). Though I’m a die hard beach person, it is something about this time of year and the change in the season that makes lakes seem slightly more appealing. Don’t know your feelings on Bed and Breakfasts, but if you like them, I highly suggest the Boathouse. The place is amazing (not to mention the breakfast that they serve is to die for!)

Stacia — September 7, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I went to Maine this year. Stayed all along the coast. Bar Harbor is awesome and Acadia NP is the best, I could have spent a week there. Boston is also amazing with great food and so much history. You can also visit Newport RI because it is only an hour away by car. The cliff walk there is beautiful. Go to Maine though. It leaves you feeling nostalgic, content, and you long for it after you leave. Or maybe that’s just me ;)

Alison — September 7, 2011 @ 10:37 am

#2. Is it sad to admit that I had that same snack one night last week…..after bootcamp? *Shhh* Don’t tell my trainer!

Emilee — September 7, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Glad I’m not the only one who eats instant oatmeal straight from the package.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — September 7, 2011 @ 11:32 am

You know my suggestion – ATLANTA! ;)

Carlie — September 7, 2011 @ 11:59 am

1. You just described everything I used to eat, except instead of tortilla chips with cheese I would do triscuits with grated cheese. Additionally, I too, ate (and still do) eat dry oatmeal out of the packets. Glad to know it’s not just me.
    2. Asheville, NC is beautiful and from what I’ve heard they are supposed to have a fabulous fall (as far as the leaves are concerned). My husband and I were considering going their for our anniversary.

Ashley — September 7, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Boston, for sure! So many gorgeous places, and INCREDIBLE food. I don’t even like seafood and I stuff myself every time I go to Boston.

Amy @ A Little Nosh — September 7, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

We went to Gatlinburg, TN last October and loved it!

Kelly — September 7, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

come back to michigan! :D

Miriam — September 7, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

My (now ex but not because of the trip) took an amazingly beautiful, romantic and delicious (stop and eat at every general store you see) road trip on highway 100 in Vermont. It is perfect, you can drive as much or little as you want, stay in wonderful bed and breakfasts along the way, walk in the woods, and eat, eat, eat. You can visit farms all along the way too and buy cheese, maple syrup, meat, eggs, produce, baked goods, etc., straight from the farmer. This was one of my top 5 vacations and the one I day-dream most about.

Samantha — September 7, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Wherever you go I work for Bookit.com!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — September 7, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

I’m totally with you girl on the coconut water {double gag} and nuking nachos with cheese. I’ll give the chocolate coconut water a try to see! Can’t wait to see where you go on your mini vacay!!! Be careful, he might try to co-ordinate with some WWE event or something….things like that have been known to happen in some relationships (we’re still married ;-) haha

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — September 7, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

You should go up and visit Boston for your mini vacation. It’s such a great city and the weather will be absolutely beautiful during the next month: setting into Fall with a slight breeze and warm sun! Plus, who would want to pass up clam chowder in a big bread bowl? Not I.

Ash — September 7, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Burlington Vt… Just moved here from Seattle. So UHmazing… Great cheese, bread and butter farms, lots of candy shops with old school candy, flea markets everyday, FARMERS markets everyday… Silly puppies running around.. It has everything….

Mary — September 7, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

I recommend Deep Creek Lake, MD. And you should stay here: http://deepcreekinns.com/
    It is beautiful and the breakfast and cocktail hour are delicious.

Kristin — September 7, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I used to that tortilla with cheese thing growing up – I actually forgot about it! You must go to Acadia National Park in Maine. I went on a roadtrip last summer with my best friend. We went to 16 states and Maine by far was the best!