Hi. It’s Me.

1. Mr. How Sweet has been out of town all week and I’m very excited for him to return, if only for the sole reason that I can stop frantically searching for the remote control to change the channel every time a preview for Paranomal Activity comes on.

2. Since you’ve worked so hard this week, I’m pretty sure you (or your wife/sister/daughter/best friend) deserve to enjoy the friends and family sale for Kate Spade. The deals online are amazing and this totally justifies that $400 dress! I’m the devil on your shoulder.

3. This has not been my week in the kitchen. On Monday, I had four recipe fails in a row. You read that right. Tuesday, I broke a plate. Wednesday, I had a bottle of balsamic explode in my kitchen, and last night I broke a glass. I ingested a lot of this, and it must have worked because today I made my favorite cookie recipe to date. I also made a delicious soup that resembles vomit, but I’m hoping you’ll forgive it’s appearance because it tastes so.damn.good.

4. In an effort to eat kale is some other way that chip form and force vegetables in my piehole, I made this kale salad from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Every Day.

It’s totally cheating because this kale is still roasted, but with delicious flavors like sesame oil and flaked coconut. I mixed it with some Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain blend, but I realize it looks like a big pile of blurry forest here in a bowl so I’m not sure why I felt the need to show it to you. I guess I just wanted to brag. Even if I did have to eat some leftover shredded chicken in a tortilla afterwards.

5. Are you nosy? Have you ever wondered what’s inside my purse?? Probably not, but I’m telling you anyway.

6. Happy Friday! Are you doing anything fun? Eat some bacon.

39 Responses to “Hi. It’s Me.”

Legally Delish — October 21, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

WHAT?! Kate Spade F&F sale? Danger! Danger!

Hope you have a more successful weekend in the kitchen!

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy — October 21, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Wow! You deserve a weekend! :) Enjoy every second of it!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 21, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Seriously, Tony has been traveling so much lately and those commercials freak me OUT! I don’t have regular tv, but I do watch hulu and they play the same commercial over and over again! I want time to be in my kitchen this weekend and sadly, I don’t know if that will happen. I am going to the pumpkin patch and carving/roasting pumpkins so that will be fun!

Enjoy your weekend Jessica!

Tee — October 21, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I hate weeks like that :( Hope the hubby coming home + weekend hits your reset button!

Ami @ parsnipsandpears — October 21, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

i hear ya on the paranormal previews :s

Ashley — October 21, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

What kind of iphone case is that?! Soo cute!

Kierston — October 21, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

This made me smile :) And yes, I will eat some bacon!

Julie — October 21, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

I have always roast kale too…which is delish. But I came across this really good but simple recipe this week and I may like it better! It’s sauteed in chicken broth and soy sauce with some other stuff.

• VICTORIA ROBBINS — June 3rd, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

HELLO how do you roast Kale? I was just diagnosed with cancer and bought a juicer but still need some other foods. Kale is very good for you correct? Any recipes? please help
      Victoria Robbinsx

Cyndie — October 21, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

I close my eyes and plug my ears when the paranormal 3 previews come on even though my husband is sitting on the couch next to me…yeah. I’m a baby.

have fun with your husband this weekend! :)

Bev Weidner — October 21, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

I’ve felt OFF this week too. Not that you’ve felt off. I’m just saying I did. And that you did too. No wait, that’s not what you said. It’s what I said.

See? Still feeling it.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — October 21, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

Margaritas —- YESSSSSSS! :)

Stacey! — October 21, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Hola Yessicaaaaa! Ohmygoodnesssss. I do THE EXACT SAME THING with the Paranormal Activity thing. Blurg. Last night I was chillin’ in muh bed, readin’ in muh Bible, and trying to find some news on our So.TX earthquake. Paranormal Activity commercial comes on, I FLIP out, and can’t find the remote in the pillow fort I built around myself. OMG. Find remote, hit mute, but that means I can still see the ghosties and the evils and the awful. I’m such a giant chicken sh*t. So bad. Can’t do scary movies, and certainly cannot do scary movie promos.

Kristin — October 21, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Monday, my blender pitcher exploded while I was making my morning smoothie. Not the whole thing, but enough. Bad kitchen day all around.

Chrissy — October 21, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

I change the channel when scary movie previews come on toooooo!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 21, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I was just reading a magazine and they did a what’s in your purse feature and I was thinking of posting something about that one day…looks like you and Shelly/Kristan beat me to the punch.

When I was reading about your kitchen disasters I was like, well her luck will change tomorrow. And then the next day. Hopefully you’re in the clear now.

I have been eyeing a Kate S bag AND I have Heidi’s book and have kale. I need to make that :)

Brandy @ Let's Grab A Coffee — October 21, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Oh my gosh…I totally do that when the Paranormal Activity preview comes on too!

I’m so glad I’m not the only one.

Kiran — October 21, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

I’ve shared similar symptoms whole week. Cheers to non spilling, non breaking, non burning and tasteful weekend :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 21, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

LOL – I just ate a massive bowl of kale salad, then read your post. Coincidence? ;) Sadly, it wasn’t Heidi’s salad, but I do have that book so I’m going to be making it soon!

Katie — October 21, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

It hasn’t been my week in the kitchen, either. What gives? I think I need a glass of wine to celebrate me not buring down the kitchen this week.

Also, I peeked in your purse and it’s so much less complicated and cooler than mine. I’m sort of missing not carrying around diapers.

Sammi — October 21, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

Do kale the Dutch Way!
    Boil kale + Potatoes… drain… add milk, butter, S&P… mash! and eat with sausage!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 21, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

kale salad?! for jessica?! ay yay yay…

Nancy B. — October 21, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Ha! Love this post! A great way to end a rough Friday! I am with you on the Paranormal Activity sista! Have you ever noticed how many scary movie commercials are on around Halloween time?! Way too many for this scaredy-cat! Can’t wait for the new cookie recipe! And since my husband is home all weekend, I am SURE we will be eating some bacon! Happy Friday!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 21, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

I’m having a Gone With The Wind night! Yes, that is an exciting Friday night for me! lol Cannot wait for this cookie recipe of yours. I’ve never tried one of yours that hasn’t turned out amazing!

Amanda Marie — October 21, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Totally have the same face wipes you have in your purse :)

Cassie — October 22, 2011 @ 12:32 am

Oh man! I hope you totally enjoy this weekend!!

Brittany — October 22, 2011 @ 1:54 am

I cover my ears and hum when that preview comes on. Oh my goodness!

Sandra — October 22, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I am with you on Paranormal Activity. Against my better judgement I watched the first one. Traumatized for life. It ranks right up there with the Halloween movie franchise, can’t even stand the creepy music.

Michaela — October 22, 2011 @ 9:03 am

hopefully you will have a great weekend!! enjoy.

Nic Dempsey — October 22, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

I mince kale up in the food processor, freeze it and sprinkle on top of my lunchtime soup. I’m not terribly keen on it but this way I get the goodness of it. Eating it as a salad seems very brave to me!!

Mimi — October 22, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

I think your work on Thursday made up for all of earlier this week! I may just have to start drinking tequila again (not since I left Houston in 1999, thank you – there’s a good reason, if I could just remember it). Here’s to a sunny weekend in the Burgh and a better week next week!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 23, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Hehe, I am totally nosy :-) Thanks for sharing!

Sara @ Sara Says.. Bake. — October 23, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

My best friend is the same way with scary movie commercials. She has to cover her eyes whenever one comes on. She says that she doesn’t mind listening to it as long as she has never seen it, but if one time she accidentally sees the action, she can never watch OR listen to it again.

Also, one time her boyfriend took her to see a “romantic comedy”. He brought her to The Hills have Eyes. She literally cried through the entire movie. I have no idea how they are still together. :P

Dana B — October 24, 2011 @ 2:27 am

So blog on the failures and maybe we’ll all learn something from it :)

Kat @ living like the kings — October 24, 2011 @ 8:58 am

So when I spend my entire paycheck at Kate Spade, will you explain your logic to my husband and starving child?

Jaime — October 24, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I DID eat bacon….both days. we were camping… I cooked bacon OUTSIDE!!! it’s very liberating.

Samantha — October 25, 2011 @ 10:43 am

So.. I’m pretty excited that you tote around both your iPhone and iPod Touch, too. For some reason everyone thought that I bought an iPhone so I should give away my iPod. Craziness. I refuse to use my phone for workouts. I say that the phone is too heavy for the armband, but it probably has more to do with it being impossible to check Facebook or email or your blog if my phone is strapped to my arm and I get bored ellipticizing. ;-)

Allison — October 29, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

The exploding balsamic is a bummer…..but we have the same silverware. So it’s all ok! Well maybe not…but I thought you should know! :D

1. Pingback: Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale. | How Sweet It Is