I wish I was joking when I say that going to Trader Joe’s is the highlight of my day.

I’m not.

Sad.

But! I haven’t done a normal grocery shop there in awhile… and this time I did. This is probably as close as you’ll get to seeing what a weekly shop looks like in our house. Except I still end up at the store almost every single day because I succeed greatly at forgetting things.

Anyway.

Got these new sweet potato chips as a snack. Haven’t tried them yet. Can’t wait.

Some pasta stuff for dinners.

Green stuff that I have perfectly good intentions for but that will probably end up dying in my crisper drawer. I love the mushrooms, I like to flavor things with leeks, the spinach is for juicing and the brussels? Stop looking at me that way. You may remember last year when I tried brussels sprouts for the first time and LOVED THEM. so.freaking.weird. I’ll tell you more about that tomorrow.

Vanilla, garlic and pumpkin pancake stuff. I have no clue why I found it appropriate to set those three things together.

I went with some regular hummus this time over my usual favorite of white bean hummus… and some goat cheese. The hummus is already half gone.

This chocolate coconut water which I have been loving for weeks. I think all other coconut water tastes like wet garbage, but this I love.

Got these granola bars for Mr. How Sweet in hopes of him consuming them over his protein bars. Won’t happen. I’m sure of it.

A lovely chicken that I roasted last night. Tell you more about that later too.

Some staples… plus some onions, russet potatoes and sweet potatoes that I forgot to snap.

An eye-hurting picture of our favorite snack.

Poms and honeycrisps… I wait all year for pomegranates!

Necessities.

What’s the best thing you’ve discovered at the grocery store lately?

154 Responses to “I Went To Trader Joes!”

Mallory — October 14, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Trader Joes is INCREDIBLE! I live 2 minutes walking distance from the one here in Pittsburgh and I am officially OBSESSED! I am from Miami, FL and Trader Joes does not exist in that neck of the woods – so I think Trader Joes was my highlight in moving to the Burgh! I love Trader Joes chicken meatballs (either flavor, in the refrigerated section near the cheese) and the frozen fire roasted peppers & onions. SO delish! :)

Tennille H — October 14, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Just got a new flyer in yesterday’s mail and I see that you purchased some things from it that sounded intriguing to me…the granola bars and the dark chocolate bar!! Guess I’ll be putting TJ’s on my weekend to-do list! Thanks Jessica for the reminder, I love that place :)

Sweet Marcella — October 14, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

We are getting a trader joes in Louisville this winter and I can’t freaking wait! Other than that excitement the only new thing I’ve started buying is Greek yogurt. At first I thought it was too tangy, but now I’m loving it (with fruit on the bottom)!

mari — October 14, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Have you tried the TJ’s Edamame Hummus? Im obsessed. Like 2 containers a week obsessed.

Also I love that you said coconut water tasted like wet garbage because I totally agree!! I dont get how people drink that, but I did try the chocolate and love it. Im lactose intolerant so its like yummy chocolate milk. The regular stuff is salty and weird and makes me wanna hurl.

Jill — October 14, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

The TJ chocolate covered edamame are definitely my favorite item! They sound weird but they are so delicious. (And since they are edamame covered in dark chocolate, they are healthy, right?! at least that”s what I tell myself!)

Katharine — October 14, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I second your “coconut water tastes like garbage” statement. I’ve tried multiple times to like it and just. Can’t. Ick. Maybe I’ll give the chocolate one a try, because everything is better with chocolate, right? *crosses fingers*

Carrie — October 14, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I got those sweet potato chips last week too. I didn’t love them compared to others. I think they are too healthy tasting. What did you think?

Lindsay — October 14, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

I bought that dark chocolate caramel bar at TJ’s today!!! It’s just like Vosges, which I love, but way cheaper :) I bought the pumpkin cream cheese too.. I can’t wait to try it.

Esther — October 15, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

pumpkin pancakes, yes. goat cheese, yes. chocolate coconut water?! hell yes.(need to try that) i love your grocery sharing posts.

best thing i’ve discovered lately? not at trader joe’s, but- the Talenti gelato Mediterranean Mint knocks my socks off. and i don’t know if you’re a coffee drinker but La Creme has a real dairy coffee creamer called cinnamon vanilla that is amazing. i was trying to find some other flavored creamer besides that coffeemate hazelnut stuff that is basically liquid flavored plastic (even though i still like it). success!

Laura — October 15, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

I was just at a trader Joe’s the other day! I saw the pumpkin pancake mix and was so tempted to buy it. Let me know how they taste and maybe i’ll pick some up :)

Jessica — October 16, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

JUST made a batch of those pumpkin pancakes this morning… so in love.

Katie — October 16, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Chocolate coconut water?! I have never seen that. I only see the plain here in MI.. hmm.. And the pumpkin pancake mix sold out in like a day, so I missed out on that until they get more in. And they STILL haven’t gotten pumpkin butter here, which I buy a hundred of to last me through the whole year. I do love the goat milk brie from TJs, you have to try that sometime!

• francesca — October 18th, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I second the goat milk brie!! It’s my go-to cheese. Try spreading some fig butter or some of their new pepper jelly on it!! Sadly I’m out of all of these things right now…I think I just put a trip to TJs on my to-do list for tonight.

ensign_beedrill — October 17, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

What’s the best thing you’ve discovered at the grocery store lately?

SweeTango apples.

Cyndi — October 17, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

LOVE the dark chocolate bars with sea salt!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 17, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

The best thing I discovered in a grocery store lately are veggie straws from Costco. Don’t let the “v” word scare you off … they come in a chip bag and taste like French fries. LOVE them.

Carissa — October 18, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Yes! Those sweet potato chips are the best chips EVER.

Janel — October 18, 2011 @ 10:38 am

I love that effect on your photos! What is it? I also love Trader Joes and it is my highlight of the day as well so you are not alone :)

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

3 different apps: camera+, snapseed and idarkroom!

• Hannah — October 18th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

You should try the BeFunky camera app! It has all those filters in one free app :)

Lauren — October 18, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE! I dip my TJ’s gingersnap cookies into it. It’s kind of amazing. Also, my other favorite products are the s’more bite things, two buck chuck sav blanc, oh I could go on and on.

Tanya — October 19, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I found out we’re getting a Trader Joe’s in the Houston area (still over an hour from me, but I will be going!!) and I can’t wait to check out all the stuff you talk about on here! Guess I’ll have to pack a cooler, or two… Maybe I should start saving now!

Natalie — October 21, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Jess! This is my first comment :) I think we are on the same wave length because..I just went to Trader Joes (obsessed) and bought maybe half the items on this post haha! Everything looks wonderful as usual! Can we yoga soon?

Louise — October 22, 2011 @ 1:10 am

I. love. Trader. Joe’s. And the nearest one is a 5 hour drive away :(

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — February 6, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

I’m a Trader Joe’s addict and now my husband works there! YAYYYY!