I wish I was joking when I say that going to Trader Joe’s is the highlight of my day.

I’m not.

Sad.

But! I haven’t done a normal grocery shop there in awhile… and this time I did. This is probably as close as you’ll get to seeing what a weekly shop looks like in our house. Except I still end up at the store almost every single day because I succeed greatly at forgetting things.

Anyway.

Got these new sweet potato chips as a snack. Haven’t tried them yet. Can’t wait.

Some pasta stuff for dinners.

Green stuff that I have perfectly good intentions for but that will probably end up dying in my crisper drawer. I love the mushrooms, I like to flavor things with leeks, the spinach is for juicing and the brussels? Stop looking at me that way. You may remember last year when I tried brussels sprouts for the first time and LOVED THEM. so.freaking.weird. I’ll tell you more about that tomorrow.

Vanilla, garlic and pumpkin pancake stuff. I have no clue why I found it appropriate to set those three things together.

I went with some regular hummus this time over my usual favorite of white bean hummus… and some goat cheese. The hummus is already half gone.

This chocolate coconut water which I have been loving for weeks. I think all other coconut water tastes like wet garbage, but this I love.

Got these granola bars for Mr. How Sweet in hopes of him consuming them over his protein bars. Won’t happen. I’m sure of it.

A lovely chicken that I roasted last night. Tell you more about that later too.

Some staples… plus some onions, russet potatoes and sweet potatoes that I forgot to snap.

An eye-hurting picture of our favorite snack.

Poms and honeycrisps… I wait all year for pomegranates!

Necessities.

What’s the best thing you’ve discovered at the grocery store lately?

154 Responses to “I Went To Trader Joes!”

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy — October 13, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

Going to TJ’s would definitely be the highlight of my day, especially since you got so much yummy looking things! Oh, and considering I have to drive two hours to get to one. :(

Bob — October 13, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

I truly love your content but the pictures on here? Please PLEASE de-Instagram yourself.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Hi Kristen – your IP addy matched up with previous comments you’ve left on my site. I totally agree that iPhone pictures can get annoying, but they are a lot easier for me because I find my DSLR to be a pain. This is my “fun” page, but if you’d rather see the nice pics you can just stick to the homepage. I appreciate your thoughts though – I am always open to constructive criticism and never delete comments or anything, I just appreciate them to be left with a real name and email address. No need to pretend to be someone else if you’re being respectful. Thanks!

Nancy B. — October 13, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

You wait all year for pomegranates, I wait all year for honeycrisps! BTW, I know you’ve said before that TJ’s is kinda a pain for you to get to, did you know there is one coming to the South Hills? Don’t know if that’s closer for you or not!

danielle — October 13, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

I got the whole wheat gnocchi and was super disappointed with them. If you find anything delicious to make with them, let me know, because the leftovers from last time are getting thrown out tonight – no one will eat them!

Caitlin — October 13, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

English muffs are a staple for me too! Have you ever tried TJ’s veggie chips? I am addicted!

Julie — October 13, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

I love me some TJs. Their Kalamata olive hummus is amazing! A must buy!

• Mollie — October 13th, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Yum!! Totally agree! I love this hummus!

I love Trader Joe’s. Our staples there are olive oil, goat cheese, fruit things(as my 4 year old daughter says), aka fruit leather, fresh artichokes (super cheap when they have them), veggie tortilla chips, powerberries(super yum!!) I could go on and on!!

Lia — October 13, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

you are making me want to cry. i live in florida. florida does not have tj’s. therefore florida loses like 348343 cool points. the sad thing is i grew up with trader joes. i grew accustomed to the glory and beauty that it is. then my mom decided we should move to florida, then i married a floridian. anyways ill be in tennessee in a week and ill be sure to stock up on fiberful fruit leathers. maybe i wont be so bitter and angry for like a week.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 13, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Tj’s mango/apple/fig/pumpkin butters are all fabulous

As is their salsa verde, their frozen artichokes that are JUST artichokes (no oil, garlic, salt), their coffee, their mango chunks…oh girl I have so many faves at that store. In some of your previous TJs posts, I am thinking about 3 mos ago maybe? I seriously had like 10 things on that post that I also buy…love the place.

Seasonal Halloween candy has been my current fave lately..all the limited and specialty editions of things :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — October 13, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I wish we had TJ’s around here – I love that place. Question: is there an easier way or secret to preparing/eating pomegranates? I love them, but I never buy them because they’re a pain to cut open and eat!

• Laura @ Casa del Hansen — October 13th, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Forgive me for butting in, but I read an article in Real Simple once that gave a great tip for pomegranates: unpeeling them under water. The seed come loose and float to the top, which is nifty. I’d love to hear any tips you have, too, Jessica!

• nicole {sweet peony} — October 13th, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

that’s the way that i peel my poms. much easier & less juice splatter :)

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

Yep – I have heard that the water trick works best too! Honestly, I don’t do that because my favorite part of cutting into one is all of the fresh juice that I slurp up. It is a giant mess but worth it. I just claw out the seeds with my hands. ;)

Shari @ The Daily Dish — October 13, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I always love these posts and seeing your buys. I’m shocked you didn’t pick up their pumpkin cream cheese. If you go back in the near future.. you MUST pick some up.

• Mollie — October 13th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

I made some pumpkin cream cheese the other day! Sooo good. Now I cannot for the life of me remember where I got the recipe tho. But it was some agave, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, br sugar (just small amount), cream cheese, and pumplkin puree. Awesome!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

I just bought some Philadelphia pumpkin last week and really wasn’t impressed! I also bought the PB cream cheese from TJ’s before and just wasn’t a huge fan… I figured I could maybe make it better myself too!

• Shari @ The Daily Dish — October 13th, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Wow, i’m surprised you didn’t like the TJ’s brand. I am a big fan of it and I was a bit skeptical, but after the first bite it’s great. Just the right amount of pumpkin. Although I of course would not be against it if you decided to perfect your own and put it up here. :)

Allison — October 13, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

The Dark Chocolate Almonds with Sea Salt & Turbinado Sugar at TJs. Amazing.

I have to hide them from myself or I eat them in three second flat.

Laura @ Casa del Hansen — October 13, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

NOT sad — amazing! You are in the company of TJ-loving soulmates, my dear! I still think my parents chose their “empty nest” house because of its strategic placement within a half mile of a TJs – they’d know I’d be “nearby” for many reason. Love your purchases (I’m currently plotting out my own next shopping trip!). ;o)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 13, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

yummm. i need a TJ’s trip asap. that looks like waaaay too many veggies for the how sweet eats that i know!

Jewel@eatdrinkshoplove — October 13, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

I love trader joes! I will definitely be looking for those sweet potato chips soon.

Cheryl — October 13, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

I bought the chocolate coconut water a while ago and still havent tried it. I’m a bit nervous :-p

Cara — October 13, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

The sweet potato chips are great – I tried them in one of their sample demos once. I’ll have to check out that coconut water next time, thanks!

Mama Pea — October 13, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

I just got back from TJ’s myself! Some lady tried to give me a chocolate covered potato chip and I thought of you. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — October 13, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Those fruit leathers are AMAZING…and the chocolate too! Sea salt and chocolate just go so well together.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 13, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I recently discovered these oatmeal chocolate cookies from TJ’s!! You have to get them next time. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 13, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I am still looking for those chocolate coconut waters! The best thing I discovered from TJ’s lately is the ricotta pound cake. Yup.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

My Target actually has them too – maybe check there?

Tiffiny — October 13, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

i blame you for my love of trader joes!!! i first saw on your blog all the yummy looking food you got from there, and then i found out that they had just opened one up in my town! lucky me.! so now pretty much every time i’ve over that side of town i have to stop there! i actually went there today and spent pretty much my life savings!

Amanda at the red table — October 13, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I have plans to head to TJ’s after work today, and now that I’ve read your post, I’m afraid I’m going to come home with a LOT more than what’s on my list. Oh, how I love that place!

Carissa — October 13, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

TJ’s Sweet potato chips are amazing. We stock up cause it’s about 1 1/2 hrs from our house, so right now we have 3 bags in the cupboard. I have to pace myself.

Lisa @ Life in Green — October 13, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Trader Joe’s is always the highlight of my day when I go there – probably cause I buy a minimum of 2 bottles of wine everytime.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

If they could sell alcohol in TJ’s in PA, I’d totally do the same.

Zeynep — October 13, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

I also love going to Trader Joe’s! I only go once a month to pick up a few of their unique products. My favorites include the 1-ounce packets of goat cheese. They are so convenient, and I love them with their round pita chips. But my super favorite is definitely their frozen sweet potato fries. Soooo good!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

I love those too! My store was actually out of them this week. :(

Shannon — October 13, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Oh I love TJ’s…too many to list but recent addictions include plums (yes, fresh fruit plums) they are so sweet even the skin…pretzel bread, salsa verde is awesome and sweet/spicy pecans. Oh my son LOVES the soy yogurt!!

Theresa — October 13, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

I bought that same chocolate bar with caramel and sea salt last weekend! And then I ate it all. (Loved it.) True story.

Mariah — October 13, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

I wait all year for Honeycrisps!! My local fruit stand has them for 99cents/lb, so I bought… well, a lot of them. Let’s just say, they offered to pick me up a box next time they’re up at the orchard :)

dina — October 13, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

JUST cracked open the sweet potato tortilla chips with some pineapple salsa. SO GOOD!! :) first post but always reading, love your blog!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Good to know they are delish. :)

Lyndee — October 13, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I was at my local TJs and picked up some new gummy bears & mangos. I often get cravings for gummies, but am trying very hard to cut out high fructose corn syrup. TJ pulled though! The gummy bears are great, and the Mango! Mango! ones didn’t last long at all. Oh yeah, I picked up healthy stuff to. Never get out of there without hummus and pita chips or their plain yogurt.

Sara @ Sara Says.. Bake. — October 13, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I wish there was a trader joes near me! All I hear is good things and I would love to spend hours looking at the stuff :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 13, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

I want that chocolate bar! I absolutely adore Trader Joes. I am always amazed by how well priced their stuff is. I always think I am going to be spending an arm and a leg when I’m in the checkout line and then end up being pleasantly surprised.

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

Agreed. It is SO much cheaper than our local grocery stores.

Bev Weidner — October 13, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Dude (I can call you “dude,” right?) that chocolate bar with sea salt has me showering in my own drool.

And I don’t plan on toweling off.

monica — October 13, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

i love trader joes! its my favorite grocery store! two of my favorites from there are the chicken potstickers (dumplings) and the fiberfull bars. i also love their organic milk/dark chocolate bar and their new $0.99 white chocolate bar.

WenDee Riffe — October 13, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

i want that chocolate candy bar~~sounds great!!! looks like you had a good trip…enjoy!!!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — October 13, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I can literally see the grocery store from my backyard. (We’re currently waiting on slow ass pine trees to help solve that problem) But as you can imagine, it makes the repeat trips every day a little easier.
    (Insert standard “waahhh I don’t have a Trader Joe’s ::sadface:: comment here). But by the sights of that chocolate bar it’s probably for the best.

Melissa@IWasBornToCook — October 13, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

TJs is always the highlight of the day when I go, and I’m there twice a week sometimes! Yesterday I bought their bran flakes (my 3 year old LOVES them), white chocolate chips, avocados (the bag is what, 3.99?), some brie and fresh turkey, among many other things. Can’t get enough of that place.

jan — October 13, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

I’m still trying to figure out if you REALLY eat healthy or just toss in the whole wheat stuff to offset the other yummies :) (new to site, just found thanks to Pinterest!) … any ways … Honey Crisp Apples. Tried them for the first time EVER last week and OMG I will never ever EVER eat another apple. Even got my boss, who despises apples, hooked on them. Yummm….no TJ’s here in South Florida …

Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — October 13, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Utah really needs a Trader Joes. Ugh. Latest grocery love….PB granola Thins from Costco.

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — October 13, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I ♥ Trader Joe’s. Cut those Brussels in half, coat with olive oil, salt & pepper and broil till crispy. Super good! They taste like popcorn that way. Swear.

Veronica @ Café con Leche — October 13, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

soooooo jealous of all your Trader Joe goods!!! They all look fantastic and I’m sure you have amazing things in the works. As for me, I’m off to take a midterm (ew) and probably eat a peanut butter sandwich for dinner (if only you lived in Virginia!!!) hehe can’t wait to make those pumpkin cookies soon though!!!!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

Good luck on your midterm!

Arbine — October 13, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

I have total Trader Joes envy. I would probably be there every week if we had one on Oahu. The best thing I’ve bought recently weren’t from an actual grocery store. I adore the Target brand of creme filled chocolate cookies (Oreos). They taste exactly the same and are a lot cheaper. Have a great day!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

Oooh I must try! I love Target brand everything.

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs — October 13, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Trader Joe’s would be the highlight of my day too if we had them in Florida (they ARE building their first one in Naples right now – hopefully they spread like wildfire. Doubtful). I want it all!

April was in CT now CA — October 13, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

I know you’re disgusted with all things pumpkin right now, but as someone else said I can’t beeeelieve you didn’t get the pumpkin cream cheese. I’ve had it on toast every day this week since my enabler husband surprised me with it. I’m so glad to see someone else say coconut water tastes disgusting after seeing so many rave about it. I thought I’d hurl when I took a sip. Their salsa verde mixed with some sour cream makes for a FANTASTIC enchilada verde sauce. Ole’!

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

I actually bought Philadelphia’s pumpkin cream cheese last week and didn’t love it, and i haven’t loved TJ’s peanut butter cream cheese in the past. I think that’s why I didn’t pick it up!

Leah — October 13, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I love Trader Joe’s. Seriously I can spend hours in there just staring at the food. I bought that pumpkin pancake mix last weekend.

lindsay — October 13, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

the best thing i’ve discovered recently at trader joes…hmmm that is a hard one. this week i am going to go with a $3.99 bottle of good cab sav. it really is good, makes this wine lover a happy girl.

libby — October 13, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

i love trader joes. i hate when i forget something during my grocery store and just go to the other grocery store (its closer). i must try that chocolate/carmel/sea salt bar… mmmmmm.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie — October 13, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Ohh I can’t wait for TJs to open up by me! Just a few more months! Everything you got looks awesome, my favorite find at Wegmans would have to be their cocopop! I love it!

Nicole — October 13, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

The best way to eat brussel sprouts is roasted with Wegman’s basting oil. Seriously, the best oil for these disgusting vegetables.

Abby — October 13, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

I don’t have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods within 300 miles of my house, and because I’ve been to both while traveling, I think everyone who tells me it’s “not a big deal” is a big fat liar. I love TJs. I cry a little…

Anyway, I’m at the damn grocery store for fresh produce/misc. things so many times during the week that the workers and cashiers know me and we have running conversations. In fact, the last time I got my hair cut and colored, three people there commented on it and my mom didn’t even notice. That was slightly distrubing, but appreciated nonetheless ;)

• Jessica — October 13th, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I feel your pain. Seriously.

1 2 3