Today is my third wedding anniversary.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

I know! You must be desperately wondering two major things:

First, just exactly how many “pouring” slash “dripping” shots do I think I can get into one blog post? Four? Five? Sixseveneight?

Second, what the heck have I learned these last three years? A lot? Nothing? That I should be a crazy single cat lady who doesn’t like cats?

Well fret no more. I’m about to tell you. This is really my life.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Here’s a rule of thumb: don’t look at your husband like he has a third eye when he asks you to “beer me my sunglasses” two hours in on your little romantic road trip. Just beer him whatever he wants and move along. It’s easier.

Don’t make your husband throw away his prized framed photos of WWF wrestlers, 80s tanks and mullets galore. Just save them all for his special room.

Do make sure that your husband knows where his room is: the garage.

Do respect your spouse’s taste buds.

Don’t try to shove ricotta cheese down their throat if they realllllly “claim” to hate ricotta.

Do put ricotta in things that you know your spouse will eat.

Don’t tell them.

Do replace “ricotta” with coconut, pecans or pumpkin at any given time.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Don’t accidentally throw away your husband’s shredded, smelly 1997 Dale Earnhardt Jr shirt. It could be worth money someday you know!

Do accidentally shrink it in the dryer because, seriously? You never claimed to be a domestic goddess or anything.

Don’t kick your husband out of bed just because his snoring makes you feel like you’re sleeping next to Walter Matthau circa Grumpy Old Men.

Do develop a strong right hook and make a sound investment in Breathe Right stock.

Don’t mentally lose your marbles when the person you live with drips ketchup all over the $17 filet you just bought, including a nice drizzle over the parmesan whipped potatoes too.

Do erase ketchup from all future grocery lists.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Don’t listen to your husband when he tells you that he hates almonds. He really likes them and just doesn’t know it.

Do make this almond crusted salmon for your anniversary, because you know that your delicious dish will be the one to change his mind.

Don’t tell him the truth when he looks up at you with curiosity and asks, “is this made with nuts? You know I hate nuts.”

Do tell a slight fib while maintaining eye contact and claim, “oh… no… that’s just really crunch panko.”

Don’t bat an eyelash when he responds,” hmmm, well it’s really #%@#ing good.”

Do stifle a giggle and remind yourself that as always… you’re right.

Don’t say it out loud. Your marriage depends on it.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with a Pomegranate Glaze

serves 4

1 pound of salmon (cut into 4 pieces) or 4 salmon filets

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

1 cup crushed roasted almonds

3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/2 cup regular seasoned bread crumbs

1/3 cup flour (any kind works)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2/3 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic will work too)

1/3 cup pomegranate juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet, then set a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray. In a bowl, combine flour, panko, almonds, bread crumbs, and a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, add the egg whites and lightly beat with a fork.

Season the salmon with the remaining salt and pepper on both sides. Dip each piece in the egg white and coat thoroughly, then set in the bowl filled with bread crumbs, covered each piece completely and lightly pressing so the coating adheres. Gently place on the wire rack. I find that spritzing each piece of salmon with non-stick spray or olive oil gives the crust a nice crisp.

Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fish is flakey. Immediately after the fish goes into the oven, combine the vinegar and pom juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5-8 minutes, watching carefully as mixture does not boil over and stirring every so often. Turn off heat and let sit aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Drizzle on salmon before serving.

Notes:

*As long as you use a wire rack, the fish should not need flipped during cooking. If you do not have a wire rack, place the fish on a baking sheet and gently flip halfway through cooking – you may lose a bit of the breading though.

*I’ve found that my favorite bread crumb coating is a mixture of panko + regular crumbs + flour (and in this case, the almonds), but if you only have 1 or 2 of those ingredients they should also work fine.

*I roasted whole, raw almonds at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes, tossing every 3-5 minutes. I then crushed them in the food processor, but you can also roughly chop with a knife, then use a bag and a rolling pin.

*I tend to use beaten egg whites with fish as opposed to the whole egg because I find that it can add a bit of “eggy” flavor to the delicate fish. You can definitely use the whole egg if you’d like.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Do feed this to yourself soon, spouse or not. You deserve it.

161 Responses to “Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 10, 2011 @ 7:05 am

pomegranate balsamic vinegar…where have you been all my life? Just that alone sounds perfect.

And the toasted nut encrusted salmon, this would be the way to my man’s heart…for.sure.

I love the do’s and don’ts. All of them are awesome.

Most of all, Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Eliana — October 10, 2011 @ 7:06 am

Congrats on your anniversary. Wish you many many many more. And as for this recipe – can’t think of a better way to enjoy salmon.

Katrina — October 10, 2011 @ 7:10 am

That glaze is freaking genius! Yum.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — October 10, 2011 @ 7:19 am

That looks incredible! Was it hard to get the crust to stay on when cooking?

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Nope not at all – I use the same method as I do for my chicken fingers and other breaded fish and it stays on great – especially if you use the wire rack.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 10, 2011 @ 7:25 am

happy anniversary! I love finding new ways to make salmon, I’ll add this to my to do list.

I DO agree with saying what you have to to get your husband to eat what you cook…especially if you know he’ll love it! :)

Laurie @SimplyScratch — October 10, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Happy Anniversary! This is one amazing looking salad!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — October 10, 2011 @ 7:28 am

AMAZING post! You have learned the ins and outs of marriage for sure! Seriously, this post rocked my socks off! Allllllll of it!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats — October 10, 2011 @ 7:35 am

ok first, that salmon looks insanely delicious. and second, any tips on where you found said husband? Lol I need to start at step 1…

Kelly — October 10, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Cute! Happy Anniversary!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 10, 2011 @ 7:48 am

happy anniversary! and i have to say, the “beer me my sunglasses” made me laugh out loud! we used to beer stuff to one another all the time…it’s been too long :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 10, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Best marriage tips ever:-) Happy anniversary!! This salmon looks delicious, glad it won over your husband:-)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — October 10, 2011 @ 7:59 am

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I play the same “tricks” on my hubs. You gotta do what you gotta do. This looks delicious!

Sara — October 10, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Happy anniversary! So here’s a little tidbit for your Monday that has absolutely nothing to do with this post: did you know trader joes now has chocolate covered potato chips? They are so worth it.

katie @KatieDid — October 10, 2011 @ 8:07 am

ohh happy anniversary, and I loved every word of this post- perfect! I’m not (even close to being) married, but I can only imagine how every other wife reading this was cracking up and agreeing with you!

Kath — October 10, 2011 @ 8:09 am

“Do be honest about money, and make sure to tell your spouse that you spent $124 at Target on “blog stuff.”
    Don’t show them the evidence, since “blog stuff” often translates to four bottles of Essie, a few boxes of Choxie truffles, an unnecessary (but hot pink!) sports bra, and a Missoni make-up bag.”

^^ HAHA!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 10, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Girl, you gave me such a laugh this morning–I’m wiping away the tears. GREAT marriage advice. After nearly 13 years I still sneak things in my hubby’s meals without him knowing. Then I smile with shear satisfaction. :)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — October 10, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Happy anniversary!

Michele — October 10, 2011 @ 8:15 am

this post is probably the epitome of why i love your blog so much <3

happy anniversary & enjoy yourself !

Gen — October 10, 2011 @ 8:17 am

hahaha that looks delicious! Happy Anniversary! :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 10, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I know exactly why we get along – if I could give others advice about marriage, this would be it. Minus the WWF shirts… more like “John Deere” shirts. or cut off plaid shirts.

But I’ve got that right hook down flat.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — October 10, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Happ Anniversary, Jessica! I loved the little “dos and don’ts” that you included along with this post. I couldn’t help but smile while reading some of them – way to brighten a Monday morning! :-)

Erica — October 10, 2011 @ 8:32 am

hahah- love it :) I like to…stretch the truth about what I purchased at Target too- necessary is all relative, right? This looks like a perfect way to celebrate

nancyc — October 10, 2011 @ 8:34 am

Happy Anniversary. Today is our 7th anniversary. And I couldn’t agree more with your advice lol

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — October 10, 2011 @ 8:40 am

This post cracked me up. All stellar advice. :)

Congratulations!!

Ashley — October 10, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Happy Anniversary!! Such a cute post. :) You’re so creative!! My favorite “thing” was about the ketchup!! I’ve gotten annoyed about that one before too.

Ali — October 10, 2011 @ 8:45 am

True story: I bought a hot pink sports bra at Target last week.

Happy Anniversary!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

They are so pretty and hard to pass up!

Laura — October 10, 2011 @ 8:46 am

So, did your husband find out this info in real-time when it happened? Or is he reading about it for the first time, with the rest of us? lol ;)

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Ha… a little of both.

Christina — October 10, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Hilarious post! And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

But I think the real question is, if this is anniversary number three, has anyone NOT asked you when you’re having kids?

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Luckily we dodge that bullet all the time… we are both the oldest and my younger siblings/cousins aren’t even engaged, so no one really has kids on the brain!

Laura — October 10, 2011 @ 8:52 am

PS in my house, ketchup = hot sauce. It gets added BEFORE ever tasting….

Charlotte — October 10, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Happy Anniversary! You are too funny:) Your posts always make me LOL!!!!

Meghan — October 10, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Today is my second wedding anniversary! October 10th was a good day for us both, it looks like. :) What a wonderful recipe – looking forward to trying it! But not tonight…two years warrants a hot date night out!

Heather — October 10, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Happy Anniversary! I loved your list, and it will just keep getting longer. The fish looks amazing, I think it’s what’s for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Kim in MD — October 10, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Happy Anniversary Jessica and Mr. How Sweet! Thanks for the tips for a blissful marriage. I had to laugh because you are SO right! :-)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — October 10, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Congrats on 3 years of marriage! This recipe looks delish!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Congrats to you on your wedding! Now when can we see pics? ;)

Noelle — October 10, 2011 @ 9:17 am

hahahaha, so true. Happy anniversary. What they don’t know won’t kill them! This sounds and looks delish!

Nicole, RD — October 10, 2011 @ 9:23 am

LOL! Happy Anniversary!! My poor hubby…I’m the one that snores.

I wonder if I could get polenta past his lips sometime…

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Cheese and bacon can make anyone love anything, right?

• Dianna — October 10th, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

I am sure Jessica can come up with a deep fat polenta ball with cheese, bacon, and smother with sour cream and chives.. or something….

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — October 10, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I testify all of these to be true. Happy Anniversary!
    Our one-year is this weekend, and my husband has eaten more foods he “doesn’t like” in the past few years than he’d care to know.

Amy S. — October 10, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I are also celebrating our anniversary today. Two years for us :)

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Happy anniversary!

Abby Flynt — October 10, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Happy Anniversary! If I removed the ketchup my husband would divorce me.

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Yeah… I’m a little afraid of that too.

Carolyn — October 10, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Lol, you crack me up…but soo true. Happy Anniversary!!!!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — October 10, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Happy Anniversary Lady! Have an amazing one! :-D

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 10, 2011 @ 9:45 am

i bought salmon at fresh market yesterday because it was the last of the season and the price was too good to pass up. had no clue what i would do with it… until now! i actually think i might serve roasted almond crusted salmon and sweet potato and honey rolls for dinner tonight!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I want to come for dinner!

jennifer @ peanut butter and peppers — October 10, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I love your post! To funny and to true!!! The salmon dish looks delish!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — October 10, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Happy Anniversary!!! Looks like a great celebration meal!!

Penny — October 10, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Happy Anniversary! I’m enjoying your blog. Look forward to spending more time here. Just mentioned this recipe to my husband and he said “Do it”. Thank you.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — October 10, 2011 @ 9:57 am

LOVE the idea of a pomegranite glaze. Looks delish!

Bev Weidner — October 10, 2011 @ 10:04 am

a) Happy Anniversary!

b) I’ve been married 6.5 years and I can attest that every single you said is ABSOLUTELY true.

c) Please tell me you ate like 4 servings.

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — October 10, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Woot! Happy Anniversary!!! =)

And ditto about the ketchup…I used to get so offended, lol.

Courtney — October 10, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Yum! Happy anniversary!! My 3 year anniversary is tomorrow-love all of your do’s and don’ts, I would have to agree on many levels (:

Your salmon looks scrumptious, as always!!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 10, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Happy Anniversary! This looks like a great way to celebrate! Your marriage tips are very wise!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Sugary Weekend In Review

2. Pingback: Tasty Tidbits: Lemon Cake, Almond Crusted Salmon, and more — Kuchen Together

3. Pingback: Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon « Sarahlicious Dishes