Today is my third wedding anniversary.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

I know! You must be desperately wondering two major things:

First, just exactly how many “pouring” slash “dripping” shots do I think I can get into one blog post? Four? Five? Sixseveneight?

Second, what the heck have I learned these last three years? A lot? Nothing? That I should be a crazy single cat lady who doesn’t like cats?

Well fret no more. I’m about to tell you. This is really my life.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Here’s a rule of thumb: don’t look at your husband like he has a third eye when he asks you to “beer me my sunglasses” two hours in on your little romantic road trip. Just beer him whatever he wants and move along. It’s easier.

Don’t make your husband throw away his prized framed photos of WWF wrestlers, 80s tanks and mullets galore. Just save them all for his special room.

Do make sure that your husband knows where his room is: the garage.

Do respect your spouse’s taste buds.

Don’t try to shove ricotta cheese down their throat if they realllllly “claim” to hate ricotta.

Do put ricotta in things that you know your spouse will eat.

Don’t tell them.

Do replace “ricotta” with coconut, pecans or pumpkin at any given time.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Don’t accidentally throw away your husband’s shredded, smelly 1997 Dale Earnhardt Jr shirt. It could be worth money someday you know!

Do accidentally shrink it in the dryer because, seriously? You never claimed to be a domestic goddess or anything.

Do be honest about money, and make sure to tell your spouse that you spent $124 at Target on “blog stuff.”

Don’t show them the evidence, since “blog stuff” often translates to four bottles of Essie, a few boxes of Choxie truffles, an unnecessary (but hot pink!) sports bra, and a Missoni make-up bag.

Don’t kick your husband out of bed just because his snoring makes you feel like you’re sleeping next to Walter Matthau circa Grumpy Old Men.

Do develop a strong right hook and make a sound investment in Breathe Right stock.

Don’t mentally lose your marbles when the person you live with drips ketchup all over the $17 filet you just bought, including a nice drizzle over the parmesan whipped potatoes too.

Do erase ketchup from all future grocery lists.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Don’t listen to your husband when he tells you that he hates almonds. He really likes them and just doesn’t know it.

Do make this almond crusted salmon for your anniversary, because you know that your delicious dish will be the one to change his mind.

Don’t tell him the truth when he looks up at you with curiosity and asks, “is this made with nuts? You know I hate nuts.”

Do tell a slight fib while maintaining eye contact and claim, “oh… no… that’s just really crunch panko.”

Don’t bat an eyelash when he responds,” hmmm, well it’s really #%@#ing good.”

Do stifle a giggle and remind yourself that as always… you’re right.

Don’t say it out loud. Your marriage depends on it.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with a Pomegranate Glaze

serves 4

1 pound of salmon (cut into 4 pieces) or 4 salmon filets

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

1 cup crushed roasted almonds

3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/2 cup regular seasoned bread crumbs

1/3 cup flour (any kind works)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2/3 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic will work too)

1/3 cup pomegranate juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet, then set a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray. In a bowl, combine flour, panko, almonds, bread crumbs, and a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, add the egg whites and lightly beat with a fork.

Season the salmon with the remaining salt and pepper on both sides. Dip each piece in the egg white and coat thoroughly, then set in the bowl filled with bread crumbs, covered each piece completely and lightly pressing so the coating adheres. Gently place on the wire rack. I find that spritzing each piece of salmon with non-stick spray or olive oil gives the crust a nice crisp.

Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fish is flakey. Immediately after the fish goes into the oven, combine the vinegar and pom juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5-8 minutes, watching carefully as mixture does not boil over and stirring every so often. Turn off heat and let sit aside for 10-15 minutes to thicken. Drizzle on salmon before serving.

Notes:

*As long as you use a wire rack, the fish should not need flipped during cooking. If you do not have a wire rack, place the fish on a baking sheet and gently flip halfway through cooking – you may lose a bit of the breading though.

*I’ve found that my favorite bread crumb coating is a mixture of panko + regular crumbs + flour (and in this case, the almonds), but if you only have 1 or 2 of those ingredients they should also work fine.

*I roasted whole, raw almonds at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes, tossing every 3-5 minutes. I then crushed them in the food processor, but you can also roughly chop with a knife, then use a bag and a rolling pin.

*I tend to use beaten egg whites with fish as opposed to the whole egg because I find that it can add a bit of “eggy” flavor to the delicate fish. You can definitely use the whole egg if you’d like.

Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Do feed this to yourself soon, spouse or not. You deserve it.

161 Responses to “Roasted Almond Crusted Salmon with Pomegranate Glaze.”

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — October 10, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Happy Anniversary! So many truths in there especially “Don’t say it out loud, your marriage depends on it” <–haha love that! ;)

brandi — October 10, 2011 @ 10:24 am

happy anniversary! most of those truths apply in our house, too! but not the wrestling stuff, thank goodness.

Melissa — October 10, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Sage advice. You are precious! Happy Anniversary :)

Lauren — October 10, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Happy Anniversary pretty girl! I hope this year brings you both even more happiness than the last. :)
    Wonderful advice-though I’d expect nothing less.

amanda @ fake ginger — October 10, 2011 @ 10:39 am

How can he not like nuts?! That’s insane. Anyway, I’m glad he liked this dish – I know I would! Especially with the glaze. YUM!

Tiffiny — October 10, 2011 @ 10:43 am

happy anniversary!

it’s my husbands and my 2nd wedding anniversary today !!

:) :)

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Happy anniversary! :)

Maya — October 10, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Um this looks amazing!!!! Happy Anniversary!

Kendra — October 10, 2011 @ 10:56 am

OMG. that looks super tasty! My hubs doesn’t “like” salmon but I think I might give this a go. After all, last weekend I made him pancakes made from soy milk, greek yogurt and ground flax seeds and he devoured them whole. I silently giggled and giggled when he told me how great they were. He just read this! I AM SO BUSTED!!!! hahahahaa. Anyways…. happy anniversary!! hope it was fab and here’s to many many more years of tricking your hubs into eating things he doesn’t “like”.

CouponClippingCook — October 10, 2011 @ 11:06 am

What a unique recipe. The idea of pomegranate juice in the sauce sounds so good. I was just in the store the other day wondering what I could make with pomegranate juice.

Krissy's Creations — October 10, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Happy Anniversary! LOVE the dos and don’t list — we all know they are key in a great relationship :)

Imwaytoobusy — October 10, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Happy Anniversary! The pomegranate glaze sounds amazing. I am a sucker for anything that has -crusted in the title!

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — October 10, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Happy anniversary! Love all the marriage tips. They’re so true, especially the man cave part. Still working on developing the right hook. Also I’m so glad pomegranates are back in season. Just recently started using them in recipes as well.

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Me too! One of my favorite parts of fall. :)

Joy — October 10, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Happy anniversary! Congrats. This looks amazing.

Michaela — October 10, 2011 @ 11:32 am

happy anniversary!
    such a fun post.
    and how can anyone NOT like almonds??

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I know… he’s insane.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — October 10, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Thank you for this! All these do’s and don’ts…I’m getting married in three weeks and now know how to start my marriage off on the right foot :)

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

haha pretty soon you are going to be writing a verrrry similar post. ;)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 10, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Times like these I wish my hubby ate seafood!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — October 10, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Happy Anniversary, Jessica and Mr. How Sweet!!
    I’m always looking for salmon recipes and I know this “really crunchy panko” will be delicious.
    And I’ve been needing a hot pink sports bra for my blog, too! Love Tar-jay!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — October 10, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Loved the do’s and don’ts! And this salmon sounds amazing!

Danielle — October 10, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Happy Anniversary! The salmon looks absolutely amazing. I think I’m drooling a little bit. :P

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — October 10, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

I love all this sage advice. I agree with the idea that the less he knows the better, “oh your t-shirt shrunk? oh you don’t like almonds? I’m sorry my mouth is too full of this delicious salmon to answer you”.

Happy anniversary!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — October 10, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Happy anniversary! I am now curious if my boyfriend has a hidden Nascar obsession that I’m unaware of..

Mimi — October 10, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Happy Anniversary Jess and I hope you and Eddie have many many more! BTW I just LOVE the ‘pour’ shot of the sauce on the fish where it piles up like a mini-beehive hairdo!

Amy — October 10, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

You are so funny! Happy anniversary and thanks for the life lessons! I’ve been trying to feed my hubby things he “doesn’t like” for a year and most of the time he still doesn’t like them in the end :-/ But I’ll keep trying!!! The dish looks amazing, though, alas, I really do not like fish [don’t feed it to me and tell me it’s chicken…;) ]

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — October 10, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Our’s was just yesterday too! Haha I just love this post – it had me cracking up. The salmon looks fantastic!!

Amanda at the red table — October 10, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Hey there! I’m a new reader, and what a great recipe to be greeted by! This looks great — I’m always looking for new ways to make salmon. My husband and I just celebrated an anniversary too! congrats!

Julie — October 10, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Happy Anniversary!

Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill — October 10, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I’m allergic to fish so I never get to try any of your “fishy” recipes, but I always pass them along to my mom and they love them! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 10, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Ha, ricotta cheese and nuts. So true! Happy anniversary. :)

Booky — October 10, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

I have to tell you Jess, you are such an inspiration. You love food wholeheartedly and yet you stay healthy by working out. It is totally the was to be happy in the end.

I have to tell you about this terrifying website that i came across. It promotes values which oppose yours in every way. Its called skinny gossip and I only came across it because i was searching the lovely emma watson. Just think! the horrible women – and yes, it is run by women, say that she needs to lose weight! how awful!

they even have a starving tip of the day, such as “buy something you hate at a restauraunt so you will not eat it” What a way to live life. It just makes you more of an inspiration, jess! Keep it up, i read your website every day and it is always wonderful. I have made several of your recipes already

Love, Booky

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — October 10, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Happy Anniversary! Another fantastic-sounding recipe. I have so many of yours bookmarked–I better get busy!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — October 10, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

WHAAA?! Your anniversary is the same day as my birthday. Happy Anniversary! I’ll never forget when it is now. :)

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Ah! Happy birthday my love!

Deanna — October 10, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Happy Anniversary! The salmon looks really yummy too, especially with the almond crust. Yum!

kaceyt @ om&nom.com — October 10, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

happiest of anniversaries to you and your hubby! this post is too cute! and so true!

Baking Serendipity — October 10, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Happy Anniversary! It’s my third anniversary today too :) Love your list of do’s and don’ts!

Alexis @ Eat.Write.Love. — October 10, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Happy anniversary! This post is really cute. Love the do’s and dont’s – very sound advice!

lindsay — October 10, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

aw, happy anniversary!! yall are adorable!

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — October 10, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

congratulations, jessica! that’s so exciting. you’ve already beaten the odds of most couples. hoorayyyy.

Mary W — October 10, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

Happy Anniversary! And thanks for the laugh. :-)
    Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — October 10, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Hilarious. Happy anniversary!

Sue B? — October 10, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Happy anniversary, you always have me laughing out loud, thanks. :)

nicole {sweet peony} — October 10, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

happy anniversary!!! and great advice jessica! i’m in my second year of marriage & my hubby is always pulling the “i don’t like __” card. so i sneak it into foods he does like & of course, he loves it! my greatest victory to date is giving him spinach smoothies but adding enough blueberries to turn it purple hehe. he even asked “why are there green flecks in here?” to which i responded, “oh, maybe some of the blueberries weren’t fully ripe yet” :)

Emily — October 10, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Happy anniversary!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — October 10, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Happy Anniversary! Love the do’s and don’ts!!

Caroline @ Pink Basil — October 10, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Wow – we have the same wedding anniversary! It’s our first though :) Happy Anniversary to you & your husband!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

Happy anniversary to you too!

Sally — October 10, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Happy Anniversary! I find myself repeatedly trying to sneak foods past my husband, too. I can get away with leftovers but I still haven’t found a way to hide cauliflower and brussels sprouts!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — October 10, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Such a cute post!! Happy Anniversary!! :)

Stacey! — October 10, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Happy Anniversary! On Oct 17, we’ll be celebrating 2 years! :) October weddings rock. This post cracked me up… I can totally relate. My hub’s a complete meat and potatoes caveman, and I’ve never met a food I didn’t like. One of our biggest struggles is finding a balance in the kitchen. It always seems like I’m either having to make two complete dinners, or just giving in and eating deep fried pork chops, loaded mashed potatoes, and mac & cheese with him. Which I love, mind you, but I’d be the size of a house if I ate the same thing I fed him every night. It took an ACT OF GOD to get him to eat a cherry tomato the other night. One. Tiny. Adorable. Fresh. Lil’. Tomato. Send help… and some booze and cupcake, please!

• Jessica — October 10th, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Hahaha, I totally cracked up at this. I feel your pain.

Christie — October 10, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Awww, yay! Happy anniversary to you guys. I feel ya on having a husband with some rather ‘manly’ taste buds and odd collectors items (what is it with wrestling?!?!). I was able to get him to try, and like, salmon… BONUS! Will have to try it almond crusted soon!

Who can go to Target WITHOUT spending over $100? Anyone? Seriously… anyone?

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 10, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

OMG this salmon looks wonderful! I seriously need to make this asap!

PS Congrats on 3 years of marriage!

Liv B — October 10, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Happy Anniversary! I love this post! It almost made me laugh out loud while I was on the bus to work this morning!

How do you get shots like that? I can never seem to get it right!

Cannot wait to try this recipe!