With brown butter and creamy mascarpone and crispy sage and caramelized shallots and a bunch of other delicious stuff that was waaaay too long to fit into the title.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

I’m in dirty lust.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Which is huge. Because you may remember that I don’t even like lasagna. Oh cheese and quackers! Big news: I now love it. I don’t just love it. I flippin’ love it.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Sidebar: does sage freak anyone else the heck out? It’s just so… furry. It is one of my favorite herbs – I love everything about it from it’s taste to it’s scent, but I can barely get past it’s touch. And it’s not furry like a peach. It’s furry like some sort of… creeper.

That’s why I like to make it crispy. Well, that… and because two weeks ago I ate pumpkin ravioli with crisped sage over top and I actually thought that I had died. Like, that I was dead. Literally. Nothing on Earth should be allowed to taste that good.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Here’s one thing I will not be winning an award for anytime soon… cutting squares of lasagna. I think you’re supposed to let it “set” or something? Ha! Like I’d have the patience for that. I nearly consumed the pan with a spoon fresh from the oven. Taste buds be damned.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

I know that this mess of cheesy squash doesn’t look like much, but I gotta tell you that it’s probably the most visually underrated dish I have ever made. I didn’t expect it to taste half as delicious as it did… and I was completely blown away. There is so much flavor packed into each little square that it’s like eating a giant plate of autumn. Plus, all of that squash has to count for a few days worth of vegetables. I love when I accidentally on purpose eat something delicious.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna

makes one 8×8 dish

9-12 whole wheat lasagna noodle sheets (preferably no-boil)

1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups cubed)

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups cubed)

12 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 shallot, thinly sliced

3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed

1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

a bunch of sage leaves

olive oil for drizzling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For squash & potatoes: Lay cubed squash and potatoes on a baking sheet, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil (only about 1-2 teaspoons). Use your hands to coat the squash and potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Roast for 50 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes or so. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once cool, mash with a potato masher or fork. After mashing mine, I actually used a hand mixer with beaters to “whip” them a bit more, but that isn’t necessary. The consistency is up to you. Just make sure it is spreadable.

For mascarpone filling: Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter. Add in shallots and garlic, and whisk every 30 seconds or so for 2-3 minutes. The butter should brown and the shallots and garlic should be fragrant. You don’t want the butter to burn –  if it seems to hot, reduce the heat. If it does burn, start over (sorry – totally worth it though!). Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

In a bowl, combine mascarpone, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, remaining salt and pepper, and the shallots, butter and garlic. Mix until somewhat smooth and spreadable.

Layer lasagna: Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray, then lay 2-3 (depending on size/brand) noodles down. Spread half of the squash mixture evenly over top, then spread/crumble half of the mascarpone on top of that. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and remaining parmesan on next, then repeat with one more set of noodles, squash, mascarpone, and cheese.

Top the dish over with a bunch of sage leaves that will crisp up in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cheese on top is golden and bubbly. This dish will serve 2-4 as an entree, and 4-6 as a side dish.

Promise me you’ll make this for dinner. Promise!!

280 Responses to “Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna.”

mary (sisters running the kitchen) — October 18, 2011 @ 7:02 am

mmmm you don’t have to beg me to make this. I will definitely be making this very, very soon. squash, sweet potatoes and mascarpone are three of my favorites!! I am actually having mascarpone and pumpkin right now in the form of oatmeal!

my honest answer — October 18, 2011 @ 7:05 am

Ah it looks so good, but I hate peeling and chopping butternut squash. Could I just halve it, roast it for a bit longer, and scoop the flesh out with a spoon? Pretty please?

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Sure!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — October 18, 2011 @ 7:07 am

My lasagne (that’s the UK way of spelling it) never comes out in neat squares either.

Don’t worry about it – it still tastes good whether it is neat or a little messed up!

Jessica — October 18, 2011 @ 7:07 am

I just printed out the recipe to make tonight! That looks like one of the most delicious things I have ever seen- and I LOVE lasagna so it’s even better :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 18, 2011 @ 7:09 am

You’re killin’ me Smallz.

• Stephanie — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:11 am

best movie ever growing up. i use that line all the time and people never know what it’s from.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 18, 2011 @ 7:09 am

The shot of the roasted veggies is just beautiful! And then the cheese and the sage…oh girl. I am not even a lasagna person but I think I just became one!

Amy @ A Stool at the Counter — October 18, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I want to go to there. :)

Ami @ parsnipsandpears — October 18, 2011 @ 7:11 am

ahhhh this looks sooooooo good. AND it has all my sons favorites… cheese, sweet potatoes, garlic, squash and pasta! Def adding to the meal menu :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 18, 2011 @ 7:12 am

oh.my.dear. i am debating racing home from vacation this second to make this recipe…

Lys — October 18, 2011 @ 7:13 am

Oh my goodness, butternut AND sweet potato, with pasta!?! Amazing. I have two butternut squash from past two weeks of CSA distributions and have been wondering what the heck to do with them.
    How sweet is this dish? I know, I know, does it matter? Hello, butternut and sweet potato are supposed to be awesomely sweet. However, Roo….he hates squash….and sweet potatoes. I’ve been trying to convince him otherwise but with no such luck (and his common complaint being that it’s too sweet for him in something that he thinks is supposed to be a savory dish).

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I was afraid that it would be really sweet – but it isn’t. I think it helped that I didn’t add anything like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to the squash mixture. The garlic, shallots and brown butter give it a ton of savory flavor.

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — October 18, 2011 @ 7:15 am

Um, i definitely promise!!!

Natalie Mason — October 18, 2011 @ 7:17 am

I just want to tell you I am obsessed with your blog! All of your recipes always have me drooling! This looks incredible. I so agree with you about the sage, the furry texture is so weird. My hubby eats the skin off peaches and that totally grosses me out too! Can’t wait to make thia dish.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Thank you so much Natalie!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — October 18, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Yum! What a refreshing new spin on lasagne. This great for people who aren’t big on all that tomato sauce.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 18, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Bookmarking this recipe! I am making this, to bad my husband doesn’t like sweet potatoes or butternut squash, but I do! I guess I’ll enjoy this all myself and freeze the rest!! Yah!! I look forward to this meal!!

Elysha — October 18, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Now I’m ticked at myself for using my butternut squash yesterday to make soup. And it was good soup, but come on! Lasagna?! Guess I’ll be taking a trip to my cousin-in-law’s farm stand sooner than I thought…

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 18, 2011 @ 7:29 am

You kill me with CHEESE! I never really miss it unless you have it here and then…ugh,I question how I my tolerance is for pain for the next week! This look amazing!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 18, 2011 @ 7:30 am

I could probably eat that entire lasagna on my own! It looks amaazing.

Kelly — October 18, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Wow. I bet that is fantastic!!!!

Marisa @ Loser for Life — October 18, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Looks so good… I can almost taste it! :)

Katrina — October 18, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I looooove this! Sage does freak me out. So much in fact that I’ve never cooked with the fresh stuff. I’ll trust you on this one though, and see how it goes. It looks too good not to!

Erica — October 18, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Oh my gosh! How amazinggggggggggg. Sage is a rocking spice. The fur- totally freaky, but totally worth it for the taste ;). And BN squash makes so many dishes better

Kim in MD — October 18, 2011 @ 7:45 am

This looks delicious, and screams Fall to me! Yum!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 18, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Normally this kind of thing would freak me out…but I’m intrigued!!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:26 am

It’s not my kind of meal either which is why I had low expectations… so you must try!

Alicia at AliGirl Cooks — October 18, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I don’t really like lasagna either but I think I’ll definitely like this!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 18, 2011 @ 7:52 am

hahaha…i love that you said it’s furry like a creeper…it is! when i was chopping some the other week i couldn’t wait to chop it smaller so the fuzzy part would go away!

Angela @ The Dancer Bakes — October 18, 2011 @ 7:53 am

I cannot wait to give this a try! Mmm…cheesy squashy goodness…

Ashlee — October 18, 2011 @ 8:01 am

If only I kept sage and marscapone on hand… I have to go to the store, but I’ll definitely keep the promise of making this dinner tonight. *drool*

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — October 18, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I’m not sure if you could have created a meal with more of my favorites, unless you’d stuck a chocolate chip pancake on top of this sucker. Looks amazing.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — October 18, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Now this is a flavor combo I never would’ve thought of! My interest has been piqued!

Kathryn — October 18, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I could probably eat lasagne for every meal, every day and this version looks awesome.

amanda @ fake ginger — October 18, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I don’t even like butternut squash but I need this in my life ASAP.

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — October 18, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Delicious!

katie @KatieDid — October 18, 2011 @ 8:15 am

gahhh these right here are all my favorite flavors combined. I’ve made several autumny dishes using sage, cream, and pumpkin or squash but this seriously just trumped all of them (obviously). I’m thinking of trying to make a GF adaption of this perhaps. Looks amazinggggg

Parita @ myinnershakti — October 18, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I love lasagna. Such a comfort food. I am bookmarking this and making it as soon as I can. YUM!

Sally — October 18, 2011 @ 8:19 am

This looks like the perfect combination of textures: creamy, gooey, crispy and chewy. Wowza!!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — October 18, 2011 @ 8:28 am

Looks amazing. Love the 1st oozing squash picture. :) Where do you find no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles? Am I missing something? TJs? I’ll have to keep my eyes open next time I’m at the store!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Mine are the Delallos brand brand, but I actually have the Delallos store like 5 minutes from my house. I know they supply pasta to stores all over the US but not sure about the noodles! I’ve never seen them at TJs… maybe more likely at Whole Foods?

• Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I’ll let you know where I find them!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Thank you. :)

Blog is the New Black — October 18, 2011 @ 8:29 am

This.sounds.amazing.

Laurie @SimplyScratch — October 18, 2011 @ 8:30 am

It seems to me, that you and I are on the same wavelength… {doughnuts… butternut squash} kinda creepy {in a cool way}! Love this recipe… sage and squash is meant to be together! :9

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:23 am

LOL! We totally are. ;)

Barry — October 18, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Haha. I’m also the type of person who just can’t wait for it to set before cutting it into squares. I just plop the whole pan on my plate and have it that way. And it’s goooooood.

Cait's Plate — October 18, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Oh my. That is just cheesy goodness on a plate right there!

Deborah — October 18, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Some of my favorite flavors all combined! I have got to try this!!

Cookbook Queen — October 18, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Why do I always try to spell lasagna like lasagne? I think I’m secretly from England.

Anyways this looks good. Like, eat for breakfast good. Yum.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — October 18, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Love this! My family is big on veggie lasagna so I have to make it soon!

Jenni — October 18, 2011 @ 9:16 am

Sounds like we eat at the same delicious seafood restaurant…I just had pumpkin ravioli with crispy sage [and swordfish…mmmmmm] too!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Ah – Bonefish!! How about the feta on top of that swordfish? SO good!

Jennalee @ Icing on the Cake — October 18, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Wow, this looks delicious! I agree with you, sage, just like okra, is so furry! It took me forever to get past the furriness of okra, I refused to eat it until I cooked it a way that got rid of the furriness, and made it taste great, too! Anyway, this lasagna looks delicious, I’ll have to make it sometime soon!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

I’ve never tried okra. Scurrred.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — October 18, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I think you could let lasagna “set” for like 2 hours and it would still be a hot mess. Except it wouldn’t be hot because you let it set for so long… you get what I’m saying. I say the cheesier and gooey-er the better :)

Emily — October 18, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I swear, there are days where you just read my mind.

Veronica @ Café con Leche — October 18, 2011 @ 9:32 am

this would be such a great dish for the vegetarian (me!) at thanksgiving this year!!! I usually just nom on all the sides but i think this will be the star of the show!!Thanks for the recipe!! Do you think I’d be able to make it the night before and then just stick it in the oven the day of??

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Definitely!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — October 18, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Butternut, shallots, sweet potatoes??? Are you feeling ok?! I guess all that cheese and carmelized goodness makes it worth the fact that there’s no meat! On behalf of all vegetarians, I thank you for this amazingness!

Lisa @ Life in Green — October 18, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I love the feel of sage…crap does that make me a creeper? The smell and taste is even better tho.
    And of course adding this to the looong list of your recipes to try.

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Fall Favorites – {Recipes Floating Around The Blog-World} | F2BF

2. Pingback: Butternut & Sweet Potato Lasagna « Evoking You|Food Inspiration Blog

3. Pingback: German Chocolate Cake « legallybaked

4. Pingback: Run, run, run… | Mal's Healthy Life

5. Pingback: Crunchy Bits « J is for Jenerous

6. Pingback: Veg out for a Week: Boston Vegetarian Food Festival | Eating The Week

7. Pingback: guilty pleasures. « a rational creature

8. Pingback: tuesday things. | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Baked Penne | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Fun-filled weekend | things after the rings

11. Pingback: Double Bread Stuffing with Brown Butter, Bacon & Sage. | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: 101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Midweek Miscellany: Turkey Day « ramblings and other thoughts

15. Pingback: Post-turkeyless Turkey Day « the20what

16. Pingback: Friday Things (the insomniac version) « Yes, I want cake.

17. Pingback: Friday Things « meghan elizabeth

18. Pingback: Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Lasagna « Eat Love Repeat

19. Pingback: Ten Thursday Things « Yes, I want cake.

20. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna | Butter and a Pinch of Salt

21. Pingback: Squash & Sweet Potato Lasagna

22. Pingback: Pumpkin/Sweet Potato Lasagna « He8, She8

23. Pingback: The Cookbook Hoarder | Ready Set Feast!

24. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna |

25. Pingback: Best.Dinner.Ever. | Ready Set Feast!

26. Pingback: What’s for Dinner? Butternut squash stuffed shells | things after the rings

27. Pingback: Sweet Potato Gnocchi « A Freckle in Time

28. Pingback: 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

29. Pingback: Creme De Menthe Brownie Recipe | How Sweet It Is

30. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo | How Sweet It Is

31. Pingback: Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo. | Lifestyle Pins

32. Pingback: Brown-Butter-Sage-Roasted-Winter-Squash-Sweet-Potato Lasagna | tgipaleo

33. Pingback: Butternut Squash Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

34. Pingback: Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Lasagna « Eat Love Repeat

35. Pingback: Warming Winter Meals | tiffanylanehandmade

36. Pingback: Links to Love — Dramatis Personae

37. Pingback: How To Brown Butter | How Sweet It Is

38. Pingback: Delicious Lasagna Recipes | The Lady Thing

39. Pingback: Butternut, Mushroom and Fontina Nachos with Crispy Sage. | How Sweet It Is

40. Pingback: Butternut, Mushroom and Fontina Nachos with Crispy Sage. | pinmeplease

41. Pingback: Bourbon Bacon Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter and Crispy Sage | How Sweet It Is

42. Pingback: Whipped Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potatoes. | pinmeplease