With brown butter and creamy mascarpone and crispy sage and caramelized shallots and a bunch of other delicious stuff that was waaaay too long to fit into the title.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

I’m in dirty lust.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Which is huge. Because you may remember that I don’t even like lasagna. Oh cheese and quackers! Big news: I now love it. I don’t just love it. I flippin’ love it.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Sidebar: does sage freak anyone else the heck out? It’s just so… furry. It is one of my favorite herbs – I love everything about it from it’s taste to it’s scent, but I can barely get past it’s touch. And it’s not furry like a peach. It’s furry like some sort of… creeper.

That’s why I like to make it crispy. Well, that… and because two weeks ago I ate pumpkin ravioli with crisped sage over top and I actually thought that I had died. Like, that I was dead. Literally. Nothing on Earth should be allowed to taste that good.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Here’s one thing I will not be winning an award for anytime soon… cutting squares of lasagna. I think you’re supposed to let it “set” or something? Ha! Like I’d have the patience for that. I nearly consumed the pan with a spoon fresh from the oven. Taste buds be damned.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

I know that this mess of cheesy squash doesn’t look like much, but I gotta tell you that it’s probably the most visually underrated dish I have ever made. I didn’t expect it to taste half as delicious as it did… and I was completely blown away. There is so much flavor packed into each little square that it’s like eating a giant plate of autumn. Plus, all of that squash has to count for a few days worth of vegetables. I love when I accidentally on purpose eat something delicious.

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna

makes one 8×8 dish

9-12 whole wheat lasagna noodle sheets (preferably no-boil)

1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups cubed)

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups cubed)

12 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 shallot, thinly sliced

3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed

1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

a bunch of sage leaves

olive oil for drizzling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For squash & potatoes: Lay cubed squash and potatoes on a baking sheet, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil (only about 1-2 teaspoons). Use your hands to coat the squash and potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle with nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Roast for 50 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes or so. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once cool, mash with a potato masher or fork. After mashing mine, I actually used a hand mixer with beaters to “whip” them a bit more, but that isn’t necessary. The consistency is up to you. Just make sure it is spreadable.

For mascarpone filling: Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter. Add in shallots and garlic, and whisk every 30 seconds or so for 2-3 minutes. The butter should brown and the shallots and garlic should be fragrant. You don’t want the butter to burn –  if it seems to hot, reduce the heat. If it does burn, start over (sorry – totally worth it though!). Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

In a bowl, combine mascarpone, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, remaining salt and pepper, and the shallots, butter and garlic. Mix until somewhat smooth and spreadable.

Layer lasagna: Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray, then lay 2-3 (depending on size/brand) noodles down. Spread half of the squash mixture evenly over top, then spread/crumble half of the mascarpone on top of that. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and remaining parmesan on next, then repeat with one more set of noodles, squash, mascarpone, and cheese.

Top the dish over with a bunch of sage leaves that will crisp up in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until cheese on top is golden and bubbly. This dish will serve 2-4 as an entree, and 4-6 as a side dish.

Promise me you’ll make this for dinner. Promise!!

278 Responses to “Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna.”

Bev Weidner — October 18, 2011 @ 9:41 am

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again.
    I’m going to go ahead and pay rent for some serious snuggle time in a cheesy corner.
    I’ll bring a spoon.

jenna — October 18, 2011 @ 9:42 am

this looks stunning! i’ve been dying to make a butternut squash lasgna and this looks like the perfect recipe. bn squash and sage are truly a match made in heaven!

Cassie [Bake Your Day] — October 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

My favorite way to have lasagna is meatless, this is a perfect new spin. I love the combination of sweet potatoes and butternut squash, brilliant!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — October 18, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I made one of these a few weeks ago, but with chicken instead of sweet potatoes and I LOVED it!! I am so addicted to roast butternut squash now – it’s my favorite snack!
    I need to try yours now!
    And yes, sage is too fuzzy and weird, and it freaks me out, too.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Oooh that sounds really good! My husband would only eat this as a side dish but if I added chicken he’d probably do it as a meal!

Nisrene — October 18, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Oh em gee, sweet potato and butternut squash are like the two fall items that make my chubby knees weak annnd you put them between pieces of carbs? Does it get better than that? This is now going in my ‘things to make for Thanksgiving’ pile, I’m trying to not be such a fatkid, but everyone is allowed to eat like a man on Thanksgiving…I just hope I can wait til then

• Anita — October 18th, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

OMG I think I love you Nisrene! I have just acquired two new phrases “between pieces of carbs” and “eat like a man”. YES! THIS!

• Nisrene — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

lol thanks! use them freely, it’s totally liberating

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — October 18, 2011 @ 9:54 am

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! I love sweet potatoes more than anything.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I love you.

Ashley — October 18, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Our good friend Joe, makes a really similar veggie lasagna with butternut squash as the filling, layered with a bunch of veggies. It is hands down, the best lasagna I’ve ever had. So I completely trust what you’re saying here. And the crispy sage…oh yah, I know what you’re saying there too! Good grief.

brandi — October 18, 2011 @ 9:59 am

I have two questions.

1. When are you going to come make me dinner?

2. Where in the world do you take your pictures? The lighting always looks so good. I think all the dark wood and window placement in our house makes it hard for me to find good lighting.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Hehehe… 1. of course and 2. my dining room table. I have a higher bar-like table which is about level with the beginning on a giant window. I get great light in there!

• brandi — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

i told nick we should have bought a taller table! :)

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:29 am

We really love it! But if we ever have kids we’re totally screwed. And the elderly may as well just sit on the floor… lol, it can be a pain.

• brandi — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:30 am

yeah, that’s why we decided not to get a taller one, too, but it would make taking photos easier!

Elizabeth — October 18, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Just last weekend I had Butternut Squash Ravioli with crispy sage… it was heavenly and this sounds like it might be just as delicious!

Abby Flynt — October 18, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Where did you have the pumpkin ravioli?? I am on a pumpkin kick that I cannot kick!

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Bonefish Grill!

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo — October 18, 2011 @ 10:09 am

YUM! We were just talking about a way to make lasagna without tomato sauce – marscapone cheese is always a great way to go!

Cate — October 18, 2011 @ 10:17 am

I. Just. Died. And I only read the post! I can’t wait to make this. It looks so good! I usually make mine with a béchamel sauce but I like the idea of the marscapone and whole sage leaves as opposed to dry sage that I add to my sauce. I will make this to carbo-load for the marathon. YUM!

Laura — October 18, 2011 @ 10:35 am

This looks amazing. I think I am going to make this SOON! My hubby is cooking a big meal tonight so I have to wait a could days but this looks…. FABULOUS.

I even think you could add bacon or some other meat (why are there other meats when bacon is so good.. ;) ) and it would taste really yummy! What do you think?

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Definitely! I think bacon or chicken sounds incredible… maybe even together!

• Laura — October 18th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Do you think you could prepare this ahead of time and freeze or refigerate it before baking?

I’m trying to work it into my thanksgiving menu but I try to pre-prep a lot.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Yep, I think it would be fine! I actually baked it halfway, then refrigerated it and baked it to finish and it was perfect. So I think keeping the entire thing refrigerated would work too – but if you’re doing it for Thanksgiving, maybe you’d want to do what I did (half and half) so the oven isn’t monopolized?

Maya — October 18, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Ahhhh I love it! And yes, sage is very strangely furry…It’s like you should have to shave it before eating it or something. Ew.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — October 18, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Looks great! I made some butternut squash quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas over the weekend. Squash + Cheese = Totes Yumbotz 2012. So I know this is going to taste good. Thanks for sharing!

Sara @ Sara Says.. Bake. — October 18, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Mmmmmm…. butternut squash……. love it!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — October 18, 2011 @ 10:40 am

That looks amazing! I am thinking this will need to end up on my table this weekend. Where did you find no boil whole wheat noodles? I have looked and have never seen them.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Mine are Delallos brand – but I shop at the actual Delallos store right by my house. They supply pasta to places all over the country but not sure how common the noodles are!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — October 18, 2011 @ 10:48 am

I like your style, double the cheese to veggies ratio. Cheese makes the world go round! And seriously who can wait for the lasgana to set? I always cut right away and have a heaping delicious mess of lasagna, it may not look pretty but yum!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — October 18, 2011 @ 11:00 am

I am seriously adding this to my grocery list for this week! Looks amazing :)

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files — October 18, 2011 @ 11:00 am

This looks AMAZING. I love the idea of combining both sweet potato and butternut squash! You are seriously a recipe genius! I am drooling over these pictures!

Melissa — October 18, 2011 @ 11:05 am

I promise. I super promise. I extra promise. It’s going to be awesome. And I think pretty food is overrated. I eat with my eyes, but I eat more with my mouth, ya know?

PS-Sage is creepy. Like a furry spider. Skeeves me out just thinking about it.

Lindsay @ Schnoodle Soup — October 18, 2011 @ 11:09 am

Sage is sooooo weird. Totally know what your saying, but I also dig its taste. I love veggie lasagnas and pretty must want to marry a sweet potato and then go on our honeymoon in mascarpone cheese. So, yeah, I like the sound of this.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I’m coming as a third wheel.

Julia — October 18, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Those little furry leaves TOTALLY freak me out too. They’re just furry, but an herb, and you eat them. No, it’s almost not right. But then it’s sooooo right when you combine it with bn squash and sweet potatoes, mmmmm.

Christina — October 18, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Looks delicious! And I like how you mentioned using it as a side dish – I also have a carnivore husband. Question though – do you have problems with your no-boil lasagna tasting hard? Last time I used them, they never seemed to get soft enough to be tasty.

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 11:44 am

So funny you mentioned that! Last time I used them for a chicken lasagna, they were perfect, but it was a little saucy. This time, the bottom layer was a *bit* chewy, and I think it was probably from the lack of sauce or not cooking it long enough because I was impatient. But besides that… I’m honestly not sure because I never really eat lasagna since I wasn’t a fan. I think for people who love it, the whole wheat no-boil noodles would not go over well. But they were okay for me! I’m going to make this again for Thanksgiving and use regular noodles since it will be for a crowd. :)

dawn — October 18, 2011 @ 11:41 am

i think i just fell off my chair in a swoon….

Kierston — October 18, 2011 @ 11:45 am

it should be illegal to post photos of of cheese so browned, bubbly, and mouthwatering

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 18, 2011 @ 11:45 am

This looks so good! Definitely will be adding some sort of meat solely for my husband’s sake (and cuz I don’t wanna hear him whine if he has to eat a meatless meal!)

Lesley — October 18, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I printed the recipe and am gonna try this tonight! It looks so good. This will be the first non-dessert I will be trying of yours. :) I can’t wait.

Alex @ Happicakes — October 18, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Wow. That is all I can say.

I’ve been wanting to make a spinach lasagna for awhile now and I can wholeheartedly say it may never happen if I make this one first!

Steve Cylka — October 18, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Wow – this looks so very tasty!! yum

lacy — October 18, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I can’t stop thinking about how good this was and how I could have eaten 5 more pieces.

janetha — October 18, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

pinky promise.

Claire — October 18, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

This looks like the ultimate comfort food and so in season too!

Malia — October 18, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

that looks so good, i really think i will have to give it a try next week. my go to lasagna recipe is ina garten’s turkey lasagna, everyone raves whenever i make it. the carnivores love it cuz it has soo much meat and so flavorful and no one knows its turkey.

CouponClippingCook — October 18, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Wow, this recipe looks amazingly delicious. Love the idea of using the butternut squash and whole wheat paste. Perfect for this time of year.

Marlina — October 18, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Wow. If you ever need a new husband to eat up all your munchies I’m the girl for the job. I mean man, I can be manly… or at least I can clean up and do dishes :) maybe not so much on the manliness

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 18, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

This looks incredible Jessica!! Love the butternut squash :)

kaceyt @ om&nom.com — October 18, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! I’m loving all the fall flavors you have packed into this dish! And fortunately, fall break starts tomorrow so I have plenty of time to bake! Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and this lasagna…here I come!

Rebecca — October 18, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

I just made an experimental pumpkin lasagna the other week and it was (surprisingly) delicious-my mom’s been trying to get me to like squash and sweet potatoes for years and maybe this recipe will do the trick ;) Do you think the squash/sweet potato mixture would be a good ravioli filling too?

• Jessica — October 18th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I’m not too familiar with ravioli, but probably! You may want to add the shallot, garlic mixture to that instead of the mascarpone if you go that route for more flavor.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — October 18, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

You can bet I’m going to be making this very soon! Awesome combination of ingredients =).

Alexis @ There She Goes — October 18, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

this looks crazy good, and i have all the ingredientS!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — October 18, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Mmmm I haven’t made lasagna in ages. that looks amazing. I’m not drooling and I seriously just ate lunch.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — October 18, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Looks pretty delish to me! I hereby promise to make this for dinner :)

Janice — October 18, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

I felt exactly the way you did the first time I had pumpkin ravioli with sage. Oh my goooodness….Can’t wait to try this!

nicole {sweet peony} — October 18, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

cheesy goodness + crispy sage = the “make you cry it’s so good” flavor combo

if you ever come to l.a., you must go to pizzeria mozza (mario batali’s pizza place) & order their bianca pizza. three cheeses & crispy sage on top of a perfect crust. the first time we tried it, i almost cried… seriously. it is 100% the best thing i ever ate.

• nicole {sweet peony} — October 18th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

needless to say, i’m gonna be making this for dinner realll soon. i don’t even care if my hubby “doesn’t like” butternut squash or sweet potatoes.

Shari @ The Daily Dish — October 18, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Yum. This looks incredible. As usual. :)

Katie — October 18, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Butternut AND sweet potatos on one carby/cheesy dish?! I’m so in.

And sage freaks me out a little, too. A furry, tasty, little leaf.

Erin — October 18, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

I just laughed harder reading this post than any other of yours. Furry sage, it’s so true! But good grief is it good. I want to try that ravioli you had as well as this!

Kati @ The Ivey League — October 18, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

I’m totally making this after my Eat Real challenge is over!!! I love me some butternut squash =)

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope — October 18, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

I’ve been in love with butternut squash as of lately. This looks delicious! :)