I am fresh out of junk to say.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

I’ve got nothing.

I’ve started to write seven different versions of this post.

I wanted to throw each and every one in a flaming fire and watch them torch.

I wrote an insane four sentence rhyme.

I wrote about how my husband shoved his head under the kitchen faucet last night after he ate an almond m&m… never mind that he ate a billion and two of them over the last 36 hours believing they were peanut. My… what a mature palate he has.

I wrote about a milkshake I drank on friday that wasn’t my idea, a chocolate chipwich I ate on Saturday that wasn’t my idea, the Godiva cheesecake that was forced down my throat on Sunday that wasn’t my idea, and the lobster mac and cheese I inhaled last night that really wasn’t my idea.

If you don’t mind, I’m just going to eat one slice of lettuce and crawl on the treadmill for the rest of my life.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

You can only imagine what is going on in my head right now: nothing. Empty. Blank. Wiped clean.

Sometimes I have no words. Occasionally, I drink too many margaritas before writing a blog post and can’t hold my eyelids up. Sometimes I can’t write anything at all because my eyes are somehow glued to Maks shaking what he’s got on Dancing with the Stars. Someone please unsuperglue my eyes… but not really.

Except for when Nancy is on. Oh Nancy…

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

The only thing I really have to say is happy birthday to my dad! He got the best present ever 29 years ago… me. Which really just means that for the last 29 years, his birthday has been nothing about him, all about me, and he’s pretty much been served half of a hot pink princess cake or something, a la Mother Lovett style. And while I got to open up stacks of Caboodles and lip glosses and new peacoats and boots, many times he was given a 5 pound cylinder of cashews.

Yeah. Good stuff.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So… I should make him some of these cupcakes today? Probably. We ate them last week and I’m pretty sure he was a fan. Not that I have any idea what happened a week ago since at the moment I feel like I was abducted by aliens.

But the cupcakes. They are like a giant snickerdoodle. Obviously. I’m really fooling you with my titles, I know. The cookie comes from my fat snickerdoodle recipe, which is soft and fluffy and almost cake-like but not in the bad I-just-want-a-freaking-cookie-and-it-better-be-a-cookie-and-not-cake-in-cookie-form way. It meshes perfectly with an incredibly plain vanilla cupcake, spiked with a little cinnamon, then is just loaded up with cream cheese frosting. The best. Is there any other kind.

Just like the milkshake, the chipwich, the cheesecake and the lobster mac, this totally wasn’t my idea. After I made those chocolate chip cookie cupcakes, a few of you made the same cupcakes with these snickerdoodles on the bottom and shared them on Facebook. I love your minds.

And I figured it was high time I get on that gravy train. Mmmm… gravy…

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes

makes 12-14 cupcakes

cookie layer

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup  brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cups all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon milk, if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is crumbly, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it comes together.

Refrigerate dough while you make cupcake batter.

cake layer

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients.

Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and add about 1 1/2 tablespoons (or however much you’d like for thicker cookie bottoms) of cookie dough in the bottom of the liner. Even out the dough with the back of a non-stick sprayed spoon. Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter (about 2 heaping tablespoons worth) on top of cookie dough mixture. Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 block (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature

3 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Add butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until fluffy and combined. Gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla, mixing on medium speed and scraping down the sides of the bowl for 4-5 minutes. Finish with adding cinnamon, then mixing until combined once more. Frost cupcakes as desired and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar. Cupcakes should be refrigerated after about 1-2 hours of sitting out.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Normalcy returns tomorrow. I hope.

139 Responses to “Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes.”

Rodzilla — November 8, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Funny how you managed to make writing about nothing entertaining, and cupcakes never hurt. Happy B-day to your Dad, it’s my sister’s as well :)

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Happy birthday to your sis! :)

Erica — November 8, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Perfection! They are so darn pretty. Happy birthday to your daddy o. I feel out of words today toooo

Clare — November 8, 2011 @ 8:08 am

wonderful! happy birthday to your dad!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — November 8, 2011 @ 8:10 am

How cool is it that the dad has a birthday the day after yours! :) AWESOME! …..The husband story made me chuckle, oh husbands. :)

Lys — November 8, 2011 @ 8:10 am

These look so good! I really do love cupcakes, though Roo isn’t a fan, so we strictly have entire cakes in our apartment. Boo, cakes aren’t as fun.

I know what you mean about sometimes having absolute writers block. I got so desperate last night writing up a post that I drafted up a post of “firsts.” One of them being a first time for my mother, back when we lived in a Surburban town that was mostly white (but I feel like all of them were like that “back then,”) and all her neighbors started to have children around the same time I came around. Well, like a good housewife, she joined the local play group. I think she told me I had just turned 3, when she realized that I looked ‘different’ from the other babies. She then had this horrible realization that I must have a developmental/chromosomal abnormality (she’s a nurse). Absolutely distraught, she excused herself to the bathroom. After a little cry, she washed herself up, and while rinsing off her hands she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. That’s when she realized (and I quote), “Ohhhh, I’m ASIAN.”

Yes, that’s right, my mother thought I was developmentally abnormal, because she forgot she was Asian (the first time in her life), thus my not looking like the other white babies.

Thanks mum. Thanks.

Gen — November 8, 2011 @ 8:11 am

those are some awesome looking cupcakes!! :D happy birthday to your dad!

Kathryn — November 8, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Aw happy birthday to your dad!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 8, 2011 @ 8:16 am

They look wonderful! Cinnamon buttercream is all I’d really need and I could die happy :)

That’s pretty cool you and your dad almost share a bday. My mom and my sister are 2 weeks apart with their bdays and now that I think of it, my mom’s was always an afterthought of my sister’s. I think that’s what happens to parents’ bdays anyway though. Mine is such an afterthought these days.

I hope you get to share one of these with your dad!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — November 8, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Happy Birthday to your dad for today, and to you for yesterday! (Sorry I missed it but my family have now returned to the UK so my house is back to normal! ;-) )

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 8, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Sometimes I’m fresh out of junk to say too. But for being fresh out of junk to say, you sure did have me entertained. It’s a shame you and your dad just missed sharing a birthday – my dad and I share mine on July 23rd! It’s always made my birthday special.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — November 8, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Happy Birthday to dad!
    I’m in desperate need of some salad and feel like I could use a 3 hour workout, too after the French Toast fiesta at our house yesterday. Sometimes, baked goods are just TOO much!

Laura @ Laura's Sweet Spot! — November 8, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Wow, these sound SOOO good!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 8, 2011 @ 8:32 am

I love SnickerDoodles, there my favorite cookie. My dogs (May she rest in peace) nick name was Doodles, named after the cookie! I have to try this recipe. You have such great recipes, I love it! When are you going to have a cookbook?

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — November 8, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Yum, snickerdoodle. Do you ever wonder where that name came about? Snickerdoodle. Seriously?

Anyways, I digress. Happy Birthday!!

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Agreed – it’s so funny!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — November 8, 2011 @ 8:39 am

A layer of cookie, a layer of cupcake, and frosting on top? I may have to officially stop reading your blog until I am no longer pregnant, because this is seriously dangerous. I’m kidding; I’ll keep reading. You keep me laughing, even when you have nothing to say. :-)

Katrina — November 8, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Ugghh, man! I had one of those annoying eating weekends too. I heard lots of “Here Katrina, try some [insert fattening food here]” every day!! Brutal. On a happier note, happy birthday to you and your dad! You look like you have some scrumptious cupcakes to eat!

Holly — November 8, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Happy Birthday to your Dad..and I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday! :)
    Cannot wait to try these- my whole family LOVES snickerdoodles- I’m thinking these will be a nice addition to the Christmas dessert table. Yum!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — November 8, 2011 @ 8:41 am

You had me at snickerdoodle cupcake! These look and sound absolutly delicious! Can I have one delivered to my cubical to enjoy with my coffee?

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

I wish!

Carrie — November 8, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Yum… I have snickerdoodles on the brain lately…. must be the time of year when cinnamon is a must in everything!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — November 8, 2011 @ 8:44 am

I hate those days when I just can’t come up with something to say… I write and re-write and still nothing. Good on you for just calling it out, and sharing a wicked recipe with us!

nancy k — November 8, 2011 @ 8:44 am

I chuckled out loud at the ” Except when Nancy is on. Oh, Nancy….” I actually covered my eyes last night during her instant jive…waaaay to awkward to watch. DWTS is my guilty pleasure, I hate to admit.
    Happy B day to your dad. I am sure he didn’t mind sharing when you were little as I bet he considered you his best present ever.

Nikki — November 8, 2011 @ 8:44 am

Must.make.now.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 8, 2011 @ 8:44 am

how fun that you and your dad’s birthdays are just a day apart! and can i just say that i kind of got excited when i read about your caboodles? i LOVED mine. like, love doesn’t even describe it. they’re amazing.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 8, 2011 @ 8:46 am

The best of all worlds, especially cream cheese frosting. Yum! Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Kim in MD — November 8, 2011 @ 8:48 am

For somebody with nothing to say, this was a great post! ;-) The cupcake looks AMAZING, and Happy Birthday to your Dad! Oh- and yes about Nancy…it’s time for her to go home tonight. Her cartwheel was kind of impressive, though!:-)

Sally — November 8, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Would it be fair to call these little snickerdoodle cupcakes “Snookie-cakes”? I’m just sayin. . . .

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Hahaha, love it.

Jen @ Little-Crumbs — November 8, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Happy Birthday to you and your dad!

sue — November 8, 2011 @ 8:55 am

oh those look good, the best of the cookie and cupcake world all in one!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 8, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Happy Birthday to your dad!! Although his best present was obviously you, I bet these are second best. They beat a 5lb cylinder of cashews, that’s for sure! ;)

katie @KatieDid — November 8, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Happy happy birthday!
    I didn’t even notice the sneaky little cookie layer under the cupcakes at first- brilliant idea!

Kellie @ Blackboard Kitchen — November 8, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Hi Jessica! I really enjoyed meeting you this weekend. Thanks to you and Eddie for sharing cabs and drinks over the course of the weekend. :) I was really nervous going in to it and meeting you guys right away made me feel so much more comfortable.
    Now. Let’s talk about your blog. I am in love with your photos. I might also have a serious thing for your writing style, already. And, happy 29th birthday!

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Loved meeting you too girl!! You are awesome. And thank you so much!

Molly @ RDexposed — November 8, 2011 @ 9:13 am

In the words of my boyfriend upon seeing her instant jive: Nancy disGrace!

Also, I do remember when I was just a wee bit tall in the 90’s and eating a snickerdoodle and my cousin telling me that if I loved the cooking sooo much that I should just marry it. What a classic phrase.

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:28 am

OMG… haha, never thought of that – love Nancy disGrace.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — November 8, 2011 @ 9:26 am

We love how you having nothing to say still results in an adorably perfect post. Um and those cupcakes speak for themselves!

Donna in South Dakota — November 8, 2011 @ 9:26 am

And you thought you had nothing to say……I enjoyed reading your “nothing”.

Amanda — November 8, 2011 @ 9:31 am

You sure had a lot to say for someone who had “nothing” to say. ;)

The frosting is calling my name. These look delicious! And happy birthday to your dad!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — November 8, 2011 @ 9:42 am

My best friend and I have this thing where we jokingly dictate our thoughts, and every other sentence between “get work done” or “take dog out” is “Me.” Because let’s be honest, is there anything more important?

Grammy@gram-cracker.com/blog — November 8, 2011 @ 9:46 am

1. Happy Birthday to you and your Daddy!
    2. The Mother of my Beautiful new Granddaughter adores Snickerdoodles…
    3. My Beautiful new Granddaughter’s Grammy loves cake…
    4. This recipe is kinda perfect for us except I’m not sure how I’m gonna make it WHILST holding my beautiful new Granddaughter, but I’ll find a way!

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I just clicked over and saw all of those adorable faces!! Ah!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — November 8, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Sometimes you are actually so witty that I self-loathe for a good 5 minutes after reading your posts. I really just couldn’t ever compare.

Then, when I get over it, you come up with a recipe/recipes that is/are going to make me chunky…..yet I keep coming back for more :-)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — November 8, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Now i really want to hear that rhyme you mentioned.. These cupcakes look and sound DELIGHTFUL. I’m not even a big frosting fan but this looks great!

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:07 am

It really wasn’t anything to write home about… something along the lines of “these cupcakes are making me lose my mind… i really need a large glass of wine… “

Steph @321delish — November 8, 2011 @ 10:05 am

As I was reading this, I thought I smelled the sweet deliciousness of cinnamon and cream cheese…but no, it was just in my head. When they invent smell-a-blog, How Sweet will be so dangerous!

kita — November 8, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Sometimes we don’t need words – especially if were chewing on these bad boys!

shelly (cookies and cups) — November 8, 2011 @ 10:11 am

First, Maks is my man…so back off ;)
    Second, snickerdoodle, cookies and cupcakes all in one post is almost too much for me to handle…
    and there is no third…so , yeah.

Kelly — November 8, 2011 @ 10:13 am

Happy Birthday to you Dad! Sinckerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies so I am sure a snickerdoodle cupcake would be right up my alley.

a spoonful of yumm — November 8, 2011 @ 10:16 am

fun idea ! i’ll take two :-)

DessertForTwo — November 8, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Oh yum! A cupcake AND cookie in the same wrapper? It’s a delicious miracle!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — November 8, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Mmm…I’m sure these will become my new favorite since I have a soft spot in my heart for you snickerdoodle cookies. :-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 8, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Happy bday to your dad! Even your posts where you say you have nothing to talk about are entertaining! :)

EatLiveRun — November 8, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I feel proud that the chipwitch was officially MY idea. And it was the best idea yet.

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

I would have to agree.

Cait's Plate — November 8, 2011 @ 10:45 am

When you make something this delicious – you don’t even need to say anything. Happy Birthday to Daddy How Sweet! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — November 8, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Wow, you don’t need witty repartee with pics like that!

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Recipe: Snickerdoodle (Cookie on The Bottom!) Cupcakes | make handmade, crochet, craft

2. Pingback: This happened last night. « Fooding and Friending

3. Pingback: Thursday’s This & That – Cait's Plate

4. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: In which I can’t think of a clever title for linkity and so just ramble on in the title box for a while instead

5. Pingback: Kit Kat Cookie Bars and Snicker Doodle Cupcakes « Amateur Kitchen

6. Pingback: Grown Up Hot Chocolate with Homemade Bailey's Marshmallows | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Grown Up Hot Chocolate with Homemade Bailey's Marshmallows … | White Chocolate

8. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie-bottomed Chocolate Cupcakes « bakemesomethinggood

9. Pingback: Craft and Baking Supplies Shopping « Dangerous Cupcake Designs