I am fresh out of junk to say.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

I’ve got nothing.

I’ve started to write seven different versions of this post.

I wanted to throw each and every one in a flaming fire and watch them torch.

I wrote an insane four sentence rhyme.

I wrote about how my husband shoved his head under the kitchen faucet last night after he ate an almond m&m… never mind that he ate a billion and two of them over the last 36 hours believing they were peanut. My… what a mature palate he has.

I wrote about a milkshake I drank on friday that wasn’t my idea, a chocolate chipwich I ate on Saturday that wasn’t my idea, the Godiva cheesecake that was forced down my throat on Sunday that wasn’t my idea, and the lobster mac and cheese I inhaled last night that really wasn’t my idea.

If you don’t mind, I’m just going to eat one slice of lettuce and crawl on the treadmill for the rest of my life.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

You can only imagine what is going on in my head right now: nothing. Empty. Blank. Wiped clean.

Sometimes I have no words. Occasionally, I drink too many margaritas before writing a blog post and can’t hold my eyelids up. Sometimes I can’t write anything at all because my eyes are somehow glued to Maks shaking what he’s got on Dancing with the Stars. Someone please unsuperglue my eyes… but not really.

Except for when Nancy is on. Oh Nancy…

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

The only thing I really have to say is happy birthday to my dad! He got the best present ever 29 years ago… me. Which really just means that for the last 29 years, his birthday has been nothing about him, all about me, and he’s pretty much been served half of a hot pink princess cake or something, a la Mother Lovett style. And while I got to open up stacks of Caboodles and lip glosses and new peacoats and boots, many times he was given a 5 pound cylinder of cashews.

Yeah. Good stuff.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

So… I should make him some of these cupcakes today? Probably. We ate them last week and I’m pretty sure he was a fan. Not that I have any idea what happened a week ago since at the moment I feel like I was abducted by aliens.

But the cupcakes. They are like a giant snickerdoodle. Obviously. I’m really fooling you with my titles, I know. The cookie comes from my fat snickerdoodle recipe, which is soft and fluffy and almost cake-like but not in the bad I-just-want-a-freaking-cookie-and-it-better-be-a-cookie-and-not-cake-in-cookie-form way. It meshes perfectly with an incredibly plain vanilla cupcake, spiked with a little cinnamon, then is just loaded up with cream cheese frosting. The best. Is there any other kind.

Just like the milkshake, the chipwich, the cheesecake and the lobster mac, this totally wasn’t my idea. After I made those chocolate chip cookie cupcakes, a few of you made the same cupcakes with these snickerdoodles on the bottom and shared them on Facebook. I love your minds.

And I figured it was high time I get on that gravy train. Mmmm… gravy…

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes

makes 12-14 cupcakes

cookie layer

1/4 cup butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup  brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cups all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon milk, if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is crumbly, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until it comes together.

Refrigerate dough while you make cupcake batter.

cake layer

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 whole eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients.

Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and add about 1 1/2 tablespoons (or however much you’d like for thicker cookie bottoms) of cookie dough in the bottom of the liner. Even out the dough with the back of a non-stick sprayed spoon. Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter (about 2 heaping tablespoons worth) on top of cookie dough mixture. Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 block (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature

3 cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Add butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until fluffy and combined. Gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla, mixing on medium speed and scraping down the sides of the bowl for 4-5 minutes. Finish with adding cinnamon, then mixing until combined once more. Frost cupcakes as desired and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar. Cupcakes should be refrigerated after about 1-2 hours of sitting out.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Normalcy returns tomorrow. I hope.

139 Responses to “Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes.”

Cookbook Queen — November 8, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Writers block is the worst. I know. This is why I keep a notepad so I can jot down times that people annoy me. Then when I’ve got nothing, I pull out my notepad. BOOM!! Inspiration.

I don’t want you to go back to normal. I want cupcakes and milkshakes.

Mal @ The Chic Geek — November 8, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I looove snickerdoodles, these must be amazing!

Alison — November 8, 2011 @ 11:09 am

Happy birthday! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — November 8, 2011 @ 11:25 am

delicious! i love snicker doodles but have never had them in cupcake form. can’t wait to try these!

i salivated over that milkshake picture you tweeted this weekend. total deliciousness.

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — November 8, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Words cannot describe this dessert…

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — November 8, 2011 @ 11:46 am

my husband’s absolute favorite cookie is snickerdoodle and would be in HEAVEN if I made these. These are going on the must-make list.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 8, 2011 @ 11:57 am

You sure had a lot to say considering you had nothing to say :) But I seriously hate those times too. Trying to force a post is the worst. These cupcakes on the other hand. Oh I wish you’d send me one. :)

Miriam — November 8, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I’m getting it’s your birthday today : Happy happy birthday!! Enjoy lots of margarita and cupcakes and go buy yourself some shoes, you deserve it! It’s your day! :) Btw, I am also 29 (since july), don’t worry, when you really don’t think about it, you easily can forget that you are almost 30! :P :D

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

It was yesterday, but thank you!

Erin — November 8, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Even when you have nothing to say you still entertain me :-). Happy birthday to your dad and great cupcakes!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — November 8, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Never thought of putting snicker doodles into cupcakes :) Brilliant.
    p.s. I hate writer’s block!

sara — November 8, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Yum! These look fantastic…I love snickerdoodles! :)

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking — November 8, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

you always have the BEST desserts.. really nice job!

Lucie (Thursday Night Dinner) — November 8, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

YUMM, snickerdootles are my favorite cookies. I cannot wait to try these. I was wondering if you do any gluten free baking or have any tips for turning this into a gluten free recipe? cant wait to try these

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Unfortunately I am totally unfamiliar with gluten-free baking, so I don’t have the slightest idea! If you are looking for some gluten-free recipes though, my good friend Ashley makes some amazing ones: http://www.edibleperspective.com. :)

Deborah — November 8, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I have been on a snickerdoodle craze lately – making everything snickerdoodle inspired! These look so amazing. And happy belated birthday!! Enjoy the last year of your 20s!

Candice @ Sailing on Paper — November 8, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! I’m loving the cookie into cupcake trend…I never would have thought to make a snickerdoodle cupcake. They are probably my favorite cookies, though. Thanks for this recipe!

janetha — November 8, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Ha! I love that you share your birthday with your dad! Fun. These look awesome and I totally get what you mean about your snickerdoodles being amazing and cakey in a noncake way. They are PERFECT, so I am sure these cupcakes are, too. Happy birthday again for the third time on a third social media vessel! xo

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — November 8, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Hope you and your father have amazing birth-days! Loving the looks of this recipe!

stephanie @cookinfanatic — November 8, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Love me some snickerdoodles, these look so good!!!

Barb Brown — November 8, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

So were you born the day before your dad’s birthday or ON your dad’s birthday? I was born on my dad’s birthday…36 years ago. Pretty cool thing to share with your dad….great memories for both of us!

Morgansmenu — November 8, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I enjoying meeting you this past weekend! You did a great job on the featured panel. A good snickerdoodle can be a game changer when you realize how such simple ingredients can become M-a-g-i-c.

Bev Weidner — November 8, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

I. ABSOLUTELY. KNOW. HOW. YOU. FEEL.

One might not ever KNOW it, given my college degree in RAMBLING.

Bye.

christina @ ovenadventures — November 8, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I totally go through that sometimes. I just run outta stuff to write and write and delete, watch Dirty Soap, write and delete.
    These cupcakes look fabulous, I was never really on the snickerdoodle train but these may have me trying it out again.
    Happy Birthday to your Daddy!

Lisa — November 8, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

is it you that hates the word nom? i hope not. because I feel like writing nom x100 on this post, but shall refrain in case its insulting.
    hahahh :)

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — November 8, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Thank you from my husband the King of Snickerdoodles.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — November 8, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Amazing to share birthday with your dad :)

Writer’s block sucks – but I know you would be out of the rut soon! Those yummy cupcakes sure looks promising :)

Michelle — November 8, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

Leave it to you to take snickerdoodles to a whole new level! Why choose between cookies and cake when you can have both, I mean really?

Bring on the four sentence rhyme! Kthx!

Liz — November 8, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

These look AMAZING! SO GOOD!

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — November 8, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

For having writers blog, you came up with another fun to read post. I’ve been battling writers block – do I talk about the recipe? About life? About Baby Boy? Does anyone even care? I think I need some of these cup cakes – they will give me motivation to write my next post. Did I mention I love snickerdoodles? Mmm

Cupcake Activist — November 8, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I love snickerdoodle cupcakes, but have never seen one with a cookie & cake layer. Cool recipe.

Kati @ The Ivey League — November 8, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Please come live at my house. We can go into a sugar coma together!

Allison — November 8, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Just so ya know, when I read the title of this post aloud, it came out as “Snickerdoodie Cookel Cupcakes”, and now I’m crying (of laughter) at work. Also, my theory as to why Nancy Gracy is still on DWTS is that people are voting to keep her sexy partner, Tristan, around. Sexy, sexy Tristan. Happy birthday to you and your dad!

Kelli — November 8, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I am kicking myself right now. Why oh why didn’t I check your site earlier today? I wanted to make a goodie using some fresh apples to give my friend today for her birthday. I was short on time, so ended up making snickerdoodles with chopped apples in them. How perfect and unexpected would these cupcakes have been with apples in them? Dang…

Nicole, RD — November 8, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

As long as I don’t gain weight from looking, you don’t ever have to return to normalcy in my mind…

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — November 8, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Happy Birthday yesterday!!! These look delicious.

Kendra — November 8, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

I feel like a loser because I have never, in my life, had a snickerdoodle. I don’t even know what that is. Judging by these photos I am truly missing out on something. Big time.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — November 8, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Mmmm. Cinnamon. Can I just say that I love LOVE that you had a caboodle. I seriously want to go find one and buy it right now. I had a whole closet full growing up and they were, by far, the most awesome thing to come out the ’80’s.

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

“A” caboodle? Oh no… I had like four caboodles. Caboodles for life!

• Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — November 8th, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

For sure! One for make-up, one for all that string used to make friendship bracelets, and probably at least one more for nail polish. ;)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — November 8, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Heck ya caboodles! Mine was pink, teal, and orange!!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — November 8, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

You are hilarious. And those look amazing. I hope to one day have as much creativity in my brain as you do. :P

Kay — November 8, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Got a blast when I was reading your article, while I was digging into french onion dip with rippled potato chips….lol. The cupcakes and other foods you mentioned sounded wonderfully delightful. Next time you have a memory block, eat chocolate!

Jade — November 8, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

I was just telling my boyfriend how I wanted to make a snicker doodle cupcake! Thats awesome, I will be attempting this, this weekend :)

Melanie — November 8, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

Happy Birthday Papa How Sweet! These cupcakes look devine!!! Mmm, I want these for my birthday on the 16th!!

Lora @cakeduchess — November 8, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I know how you feel about sometimes having writer’s block. HAPPY belated Birthday to you and your dad:)These look so good!!:)xx

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — November 8, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

I never thought I’d say this when referring to your cooking… but these might be even be with this: http://perks.urbandaddy.com/national/baconery.html

You’d be my absolute hero.
    – Katie at http://www.ohshineon.com

Miranda — November 9, 2011 @ 12:09 am

yah….i get quite distracted when Maks is on TV too :)

Lucy @ Lucyeats — November 9, 2011 @ 4:23 am

Looks delicious! I was just getting ready for bed but omg I want cupcakes now!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 9, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Happy Belated Birthday to your Dad!!!!!!!

Jessie — November 9, 2011 @ 10:01 am

This is the best blog post I have EVER read. I have totally been there!

muffetsmom — November 9, 2011 @ 10:07 am

I just want to know how you eat all this stuff and stay in shape? I mean, no amount of insane workout would keep me trim…. I gain weight looking at it on the monitor…

galit — November 9, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

Perfection…

Jenny — November 9, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I made these last night and they are delicious! My boyfriend’s favorite cookie is snickerdoodles so made them for him. Thanks for sharing!