Are you hungry?

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

If there’s anything that I find difficult this time of year, it’s attempting to create healthy dinners when I feel like five kinds of crazy all hopped up on holiday sugar and it’s a million o’clock by the time I start our meal.

That’s where this comes in.

[Oh. And this and this and this and this. And this.]

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

So let me tell you one thing.

I am totally a burger person, but I have never been one of those people that could eat a burger without a bun. It is just so incredibly unappealing to me – I mean a burger has cheese and bread and bacon, duh! – and if I want to sacrifice the carbs, I’d probably order some sort of seafood dish or a chicken or steak salad. With fries and cheese, of course.

Wait… shut your face. Fries aren’t carbs. Because they are on a salad! Get with the program.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

But really, I just can’t do the burgers without buns and stuff. There’s something about eating a hunk o’ ground meat that turns me off. Especially turkey burgers. I really hate turkey burgers. And I’m sure this has something to do with how scarred for life I am from the first three months of marriage when IT’S ALL MY HUSBAND WOULD EAT. Dried out, flavorless, disgusting meat patties. Every single day. Serious.

Soooo.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

How crazy is it that I actually ate one of these burgers in a salad?!

I did, I did, I did.

My cousin has been making these burgers from her friend’s recipe for a few months, and my uncle made them last week; we had them on salads with lots of lime and rice vinegar. They are so juicy and packed with flavor that for the first time, I didn’t even need a bun. Which was good because I’m pretty sure he wasn’t offering me one.

But like, this burger was so delicious that not only did I not eat a bun that night… I didn’t even eat it with cheese.

I know what you’re thinking.

Who the heck am I? Me too. Me too.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

While I did end up slapping mine on two buns (that’s what she… yeah) this past weekend, I still skipped the cheese because truly? I wasn’t sure what kind of cheese to use. I love the flavors of sesame oil and garlic and soy sauce and was too afraid that the cheddar or fresh mozz I had in my fridge just wouldn’t mesh. Can some of you smart and fancy cheese people help me out here and suggest a great one for next time?

Luckily I made up for that yesterday when I consumed nearly an entire triangle of creamy syrah-soaked toscana from Trader Joe’s (OMGwherehasthisbeenallmylife?!). Get on that people, stat.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

Instead of the cheese I wasn’t sure about, I threw together some mayo with sriracha and lots of lime junk. I typically only like mayo on my BLT’s and thousand-calorie diner club sandwiches, but something about this sounded flipping awesome. And then I was even able to top my burger with tomato and butter lettuce (favorite… I wonder why) and eat pretty much an entire month’s worth of vegetables here.

I love when that happens.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

Asian Turkey Burgers

makes 4 burgers

1 pound ground turkey breast

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger

3 green onions, thinly chopped

1/2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

4 whole wheat buns

Combine all ingredients (except buns) in a large bowl and mix gently with your hands until just combined – do not overmix. Form turkey into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Heat a skillet (in my case – a cast iron grill pan) over medium-high heat (or preheat your grill) and once hot, add burgers. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side.

Toast buns if desired, then top burgers with mayo and serve.

Spicy Lime Mayo

1/4 cup mayonaisse

1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or more if desired)

zest of half of a lime

juice of half a lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and combined.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

If you know what’s good for you, these will be on your table tonight.

141 Responses to “Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo.”

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — December 13, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I am SO making these!

Zesty Cook — December 13, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Oh good gracious. The addition of the “special sauce” always kills me. These look utterly amazing.

Breann — December 13, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

I guess there is still so much about cooking I need to learn because I have never heard to sriracha sauce! What is it and where do I find it? Thanks for the help!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

It’s basically a hot sauce! Really delish – look in the Asian/Worldwide section of your market. :)

• Jacqueline — January 5th, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Some people call it “Rooster” if that helps! Its pretty popular, I put it on alot of things! (But a little goes a long way!) :)

Kathleen — December 13, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Now I know what I am making for dinner tonight! I love your ideas. I too am not a big fan of turkey burgers, dry and tasteless hockey pucks. But these might just change my mind. Oh, and a burger is not a burger, if it is not on bread.

Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — December 13, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

i know i rant and rave about all your fantastic and fantabulous recipes all the time.. this one is no exception. That being said though, it’s really your voice – your stories – that keep me coming back. You’re fucking hilarious! :)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Hahaha, thanks Kristy Lynn!

Maia — December 13, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

These sound fantastic!!! My husband has high cholesterol, so he is big on turkey patties too… but he likes the pre-shaped ones from the market, and simply slaps them on the grill. :-/ They’re gross, dense, dried out and flavorless. I once made a turkey burger with a chipotle aioli mixed in with the meat – helped add some flavor & moistened it up too. These burgers sound delicious and I will definitely be trying them out in the coming weeks. Good call on skipping the cheese and going with a flavored mayo instead!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

That sounds really good!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — December 13, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

“Shut your face” kay no arguing with the fry-topping food queen. <3

Kelly — December 13, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Looks intriguing! I also have to say, from trying to photograph burgers myself, I’m impressed with how gorgeous your pictures are. Burgers can be very tricky to photograph. I know this is random, but have you done any ‘behind the scenes’ posts? I find myself curious about what your recipe development process is like. Everyone has their own and I always find it interesting how certain recipes come to be. For example, do you tend to find you taste things on restaurant menus and want to recreate them? Do ideas just come to you? Do you wing it with proportions or do you find yourself consulting existing recipes as a guide?

Also, do you eat repeats or old recipes in your house or is it 100% new stuff all the time?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Thanks Kelly! I never have done any behind the scenes posts because honestly… i don’t feel like there is a “behind the scenes,” ha! I did write a post about how I come up with recipes once: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/06/how-i-come-up-with-this-stuff/. As crazy as it sounds, that is truly how it happens. I have no structure or rhyme or reason… I just make things when I think of them. Many times they fail, some times they work! I rarely recreate things we have at restaurants, but that is probably because we don’t eat out much. I probably get most of my inspiration from things I have already made on my blog before. If I am really struggling with coming up with recipes (this seems to be cyclical and happens every few months), I will go through some of my cookbooks and that is when you see my adapted recipes. Sometimes my mind draws a blank.

As for our dinners, it totally depends on what I’m making that week. If my blog food is mainly sweets or stuff like biscuits, then obviously I have to make dinner and will normally make one of our favorites. Some weeks it’s all new stuff, others it’s just stuff we love! Kinda the same… no routine or reason!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — December 13, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

That looks fantastic. I’m not usually a burger person but I could really go for one of those. Especially with some of that mayo. Lime and sriracha sound so yummy together :D

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 13, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Ooohhh these look perfectly perfect! YUM!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) — December 13, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

I WISH turkey burgers were my husbands default meal. Mine microwaves pasta when left to his own devices EW! and he trained as a chef. so weird.
    Have you ever tried wasabi mayonaise?! its so good too!!!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

I have not, but I need to!

Kristy — December 13, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

My mouth is watering. I love a good burger and these look incredible!!

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — December 13, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Thank you, I will be eating these this week. YUM!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope — December 13, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Wow! These burgers look so incredibly good! I am definitely going to have to add this to my list of things to make for dinner. The mayo sounds incredible alone! :)

Emily Schell — December 13, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I started laughing when you said “Shut your face”.
    I couldn’t believe you said that because I am the only other person I have ever heard that says that xD

That seems to be my trademark saying around my area, haha.

Cassie @ bake your day — December 13, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Spicy+lime+mayo=burger heaven. Sriracha is a perfect pair for mayo, love it! These sound right up my alley!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — December 13, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

These look pretty tasty! I use to make turkey burgers in college and they always turned out little hockey pucks so I would sit there chewing like I was eating rubber. Gross! I’ve stayed away since but these look like there is hope for me yet!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — December 13, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

We have turkey burgers about once a week. I am always looking for new ideas and can’t wait to give this version a try!

Jillian @ NewlyBread — December 13, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Ah! I’m actually a huge turkey burger fan and these look delicious!

nicole {sweet peony} — December 13, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

mmm i love turkey burgers (as long as they’re not dry) & i loooove asian flavors. ohhh how i wish there was a candle that smelled like sesame oil. i’m weird, i know. but the no bun thing is something i can’t do. it’s like eating meatloaf which i haaaate. i need the carbs.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — December 13, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

Did I ever tell you, you’re my hero?

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner — December 13, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Oh these look amazing!! Definitely going to try making them!

amy — December 13, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

mmm i love burgers too. these look awesome!

Paula @ lipstick and lunges — December 13, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I’m with you on the holiday eating. I just want decadent food! I love turkey burgers but I kind of banished them after fall set in. This recipe looks like the perfect reason to bring them back!

Kat — December 13, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

I used to pride myself on my delicious turkey meatballs and turkey burgers back in the day (yes, anything pre-baby is now considered back in the day). In my p-b (post baby) days, with the freakin’ overwhelming full time job, I’m lucky to even buy them at the store.

Let me try that again – those look SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD :)

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — December 13, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

I’m not sure why I decided to torture myself and click over while on a juice cleanse. . . WANT!!

Cate — December 13, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

I must make these and soon! The Toscana sounds uh-may-zing. How did I not know about it??? Have you had the cinnamon dusted Toscana from TJ’s? SO. GOOD.

Neely @ The Ruffled Apron — December 13, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Husbands eat the weirdest things. Mine goes on random kicks of bologna sandwiches.
    Not sure if dried out turkey burgers or bologna should count as edible foods.

And yes, these will be on our table tomorrow night!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 13, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

Yum!! I have to admit that I am kind of sick of sweets at the moment. So, this recipe is a nice break from all of the cookie posts I’ve been reading (and writing)! I am definitely giving these burgers a try!

rose — December 13, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

Wow these look and sound soo good.. what an creative idea!
    Sriracha sauce is INcredible.. my boyfriend is obsessed and i caught it too.. awesome in soups, and well everything, that mayo sounds to die for..
    as for cheese, i woulda tried brie? does that sound totally gross and just good to me? or maybe aged white cheddar.. how could it go awry?

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake — December 14, 2011 @ 2:24 am

These look delish!!!! And, I loooooooove that you used butter lettuce. I too am the hugest fan!!

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — December 14, 2011 @ 4:37 am

I’m always on the lookout to substitute red meat and these look perfect! Plus, the Sriracha in the mayo is absolutely fantastic!!

Katie — December 14, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I made these last night for dinner – they were fantastic! Thanks for another great recipe.

Tiffany — December 14, 2011 @ 11:52 am

I’m hungry I guess I’m going to the store.

Natalie — December 14, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Is butter a carb?

Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — December 14, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

I would put Sriracha on pretty much anything…I just wish it weren’t so darn hard to spell! Anyway, may have to convince the Mr. turkey burgers are an acceptable form of meat patty.

Lisa — December 14, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I made these for dinner last night and they were awesome. Definitely adding them to the rotation!

A Bowl Of Mush — December 14, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Sounds gorgeous!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — December 14, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

Mmmm…..spicy lime mayo!!

Katy — December 14, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Making them right now! yum!

CouponClippingCook — December 15, 2011 @ 2:06 am

Ok…this burger looks sooooooo good. I have to try sriracha sauce…haven’t heard of it before but glad to know you buy it a TJ’s. Can’t wait to try it now.

Alanna — December 16, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Made these last night…..soooooo delicious!!! Didnt have sriracha, but the mayo was still awsome on the burgers even without it. First recipe I’ve made from your site, needless to say, I’ll be coming here for recipes from now on :). Thanks for sharing all your cooking adventures, and for giving me a good laugh all the time.

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery — December 18, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Mmm, I love turkey burgers already, but I’m afraid with a sauce like that, I’d eat way more than I should, ha. I’m not a huge fan of mayo on its own, but sriracha and lime? I’m in!

Maria — December 19, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Made these tonight. Best turkey burgers I have ever made or eaten. Thanks…love your recipes!

Ann-Claire — December 20, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I made these for dinner the day you posted them. They were so tasty, I can’t wait to make them again. I served them on English muffins (an idea I previously got from you). I love the way the mayo sank into the “nooks and crannies” of the muffin. I’m obsessed with the siracha lime mayo. I want to put it on everything. Thanks for the great recipe!

Tennille — December 26, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

These were fantastic! My boyfriend and I loved them and the mayo! Next time I think we are going to try them on the grill.

Charlie — January 4, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

Hello Jessica:
    So nice to meet you
    Your recipe over on Tracey’s Culinary Adventures, (she gave you full credits).
    So here I am.

Thank you so much for the recipe!
    I’m looking forward to your emails.

LOL! I haven’t heard the expression “shut your face” in years!
    Must be making the rounds again.

Charlie

Jacqueline @ JaxandMarbles — January 5, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I’m making turkey burgers tonight! The sauce & all!

swetz — January 7, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

Made this for dinner tonight, excellent! We served it with a panko crusted asparagus, it was all fantastic!

Samantha — January 21, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I finally made these tonight and they were amazing! I never like turkey burgers but these were great and the mayo made it even better. My 7 yr old ate TWO!