Wanna know a secret?

Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles I howsweeteats.com

My mom totally burned me out on buckeyes as a child. Really.

She made billions of them every Christmas for years and years and years and then I made myself physically ill from eating the peanut butter balls, actual spoonfuls of the melted chocolate (and paraffin?), and finally the finished product hidden in tupperware outside in the garage.

You can only imagine how thrilled she was to open those containers when it came to making last minute cookie trays and find only… crumbs. Yeeeeeah. I deserved coal and a treadmill in my stocking every year.

Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles I howsweeteats.com

But I haven’t wanted a buckeye in like, 15 years. Seriously.

And I mean, you KNOW how I feel about peanut butter and chocolate.

So good news! These aren’t buckeyes. Or maybe they are and this is just my lame attempt to pretend they are something else. However, these have a doughier (is that a word? because why is there a squiggly red line under it?) texture and obviously – tons of crisp. When I brought out Mother Lovett’s recipes a few weeks ago to gather my crap for Christmas cookies, this recipe fell out on a little faded square of paper. Not sure why I tossed it to the side in previous years, but I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the whole buckeye thing. Well that, and because it’s also on the same scrap of paper as two variations of dried beef dip. That just wasn’t doing it for me either.

But these definitely do it. They are so doughy and crispy and crunchy. Yes, they are really just your typical peanut butter balls with lots of crisp junk shoved inside. They take other cookie dough truffles to the next level. They take buckeyes to the next level. They take your brother’s birthday to the next level.

Oh yeah. I made these for him. But then we ate them all. Before we could deliver them. Story of my life.

Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

makes about 50-60 balls, if teaspoon sized

2 cups creamy peanut butter

2 cups powdered sugar

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup crisped rice cereal

2 1/2 – 3 cups milk chocolate chips

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat peanut butter and butter until creamy and smooth. Gradually add in vanilla extract and powdered sugar with the mixture on low, speeding up once it becomes more combined. At this point you should have a cookie “dough” (depending on your brand of peanut butter you may need a little more sugar – add it 1-2 tablespoons at a time while mixing). Using a spatula, gently fold in crisped rice cereal so it gets distributed through the batter, adding more is desired. Be careful not to crush all the cereal so it stays crispy.

Once combined, roll dough into balls (mine were slightly more than teaspoon-sized) and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Some of the balls will have crisped rice edges sticking out and some may be crumbly – that’s okay, just roll as smooth as you can occasionally squeezing the dough together if needed. Refrigerate for 60-90 minutes. Melt chocolate in either the microwave (I melt in 30 second increments while stirring) or in a double boiler. Remove peanut butter balls from fridge and dip in chocolate, then place back on parchment. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator!

Note: if you want the peanut butter drizzle, I simply melted 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips then used a spoon to drizzle.

Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles I howsweeteats.com

You will want one. Or ten.

206 Responses to “Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles.”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — December 16, 2011 @ 7:58 am

I definitely am in the category that wants 10!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 16, 2011 @ 8:04 am

I love these – and I’m pretty sure they’re a buckeye but with a fancier name. It makes it sound more classy though, so I’ll go with it!!

Nicole H. — December 16, 2011 @ 8:05 am

This was a childhood favorite of mine as well! I always loved the combo of the peanut butter and crispies!! I’m glad to know others made it this way as well – too good not to share!!!

Buccinator — December 16, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Why wasn’t this posted last week when I made buckeyes? You know, before I Grinched myself out and decided fifty thousand pounds of candy is enough for my family and friends and I WAS done?

Fifty thousand and one can’t hurt, right?

Erica — December 16, 2011 @ 8:10 am

The crispie add is so fun. Gorg, i want a large container please

Caitlin Jane — December 16, 2011 @ 8:12 am

or 100 nomnomnom. I might make these this weekend and when I say might I mean most definetly.

Kathryn — December 16, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Oh oh oh, crispy and smooth at the same time, I love it!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 16, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Buckeyes are my favorite, I’m dipping them today so these will have to be saved for another time. In these parts if you make those with krispie rice, you’ll be tarred, feathered and pelted with frozen buckeyes.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Yikes… :)

Erica-@ELFergieFerg — December 16, 2011 @ 8:19 am

I’m definitely in the want 10 of these category. They’re one of my favourite things to eat over the holidays-along with many Hello Dolly’s!

Rodzilla — December 16, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I would do the same thing with buckeyes…and now I want to do it with these.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — December 16, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Can’t say I’ve overdone it on the buckeyes. We never made them for the holidays. These look super tasty!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 16, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I don’t think I ever ate a buckeye when I was a kid (I know I know, sheltered much??) but from the sounds of it, I think I’d rather just have these instead!

• Amanda Dawn — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I’m with you there. I’ve never had a buckeye either….but I see myself making these sometime soon.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 16, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I’m usually not a huge buckeye fan but the pictures of these alone make me want one. If I showed these to my husband I think he’d threaten divorce until I made them though. Anything with rice crispies in it and he turns into a 5 year old screaming how much he wants it.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

SERIOUSLY?! My husband goes crazy for rice krispy treats. I thought it was like, a husband rule.

Clare @ SweetnSimple — December 16, 2011 @ 8:35 am

Oh my.. I’d probably end up with more than 10 of these. They look so, SO good :) Thanks for sharing!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — December 16, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Yum. I’m obsessed with truffles. These look fabulous!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 16, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I’ll take a dozen … for breakfast. Please. :)

Bev Weidner — December 16, 2011 @ 8:41 am

I just google imaged “buckeye” because I’ve never even heard of them! I got some weirdo looking butterflies and some dude streaking across an Ohio state football field.

Your truffles are purdy.

• Amanda Dawn — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:44 am

Hahaha, the joys of Google.

Kita — December 16, 2011 @ 8:43 am

If its possible to gain weight by simply visiting a website – your’s would flat out give me diabetes! How do you do it girl? All the tasty treats all the time and you’re still rockin! ;)
    I think the thing with buckeyes is they are good in small doses, one or two, or anyone could get burnt out on them. Make them cookie dough and I maaay be able to sneak a third.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — December 16, 2011 @ 8:47 am

10 please! I am so taking these to my sister-in-law’s when we go for Christmas! Now I know what to do with the rest of the gluten free rice crispies I have in the pantry!

Sherri — December 16, 2011 @ 8:49 am

I just made my grandmother’s version of these 2 nights ago! Her recipe has the same ingredients minus the vanilla. But instead of beating together the peanut butter and butter her’s calls for melting them together and then getting your hands dirty when you mix them with the cereal and powdered sugar. Let’s just say when I was done mixing I saw 10 snacks when I looked at my hands. These are definitely addictive. I loved when she made these when we were growing up but she only made them at Christmas and for our annual beach trip. I’m pretty sure it was only at that time or else our entire family wouldn’t have been able to fit through any doorways.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Oh my gosh you are cracking me up…. 10 snacks. lol!

Gen — December 16, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Chocolate and peanut butter are awesome together!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 16, 2011 @ 8:56 am

My mom told me that the traditional recipe for buckeyes has WAX in it? Am I the only one who didn’t know this? Never eating them again without asking what is in them. Did your mom’s include wax? These look fabulous on the other hand. Love the addition of crisped rice. Also–I can’t believe Bev had never heard of buckeyes?

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Yes! Paraffin! It’s not in the actual peanut butter part, but in the chocolate. Gross, right? I do remember my mom making them with that when I was little! This recipe is totally different though, luckily, haha.

• Aimee @ ShugarySweets — December 16th, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

My recipe from grandma has the paraffin too! However, I skip that step and they still turn out fabulous. Yuck, wax?

• The Suzzzz — December 20th, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

The wax is food grade and isn’t harmful, but it isn’t fun to think about. They used it to help the chocolate set faster and give it a “snap” when you bite into it. Essentially laziness because home cooks either didn’t know how to temper their chocolate or didn’t want to bother doing it.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 16, 2011 @ 8:58 am

i’ve never had a buckeye, but i did burn myself out for like 2 whole weeks on reese’s cups when i was younger. longest two weeks of my life…

• Amanda Dawn — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Mmmm, reese’s….The only mass produced candy bar at the cash registers that can twist my arm. Very tempting. It’s like torture to always have to say no.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 16, 2011 @ 9:03 am

These look great and I commend you for making 50-60 of these little buggers! People don’t realize til they start rolling balls just how many a batch of something like this can make. Or til they start dipping them. Or drizzling the final PB chip drizzle over the top (nice touch!)…they look beautiful!

I love bites, balls, truffles, you name it, never met a PB/choc or an Oreo/Choc combo I don’t love :)

• The Suzzzz — December 20th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

And easy way to make these without shaping them into balls is to roll the whole batch of centers into a log and cut them into medallions with a cheese wire and then dip, that’s what I do, but my mother hand rolls all of hers into a little individual torpedo shapes…but she’s a stay at home wife and doesn’t work 3 jobs either.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 16, 2011 @ 9:10 am

I want these! But I’m afraid every time I opened my refrigerator door to reach for something healthy, I’ll reach for a the Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Truffle! Well PB does give you energy and it is a good fat, and chocolate is good for you to it has protein and other benefits, right?

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:15 am

This is why I married a man with an extra fridge… so it can go in the garage… and I can put these babies out of sight!

• Amanda Dawn — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Jessica that is an awesome idea!

jo-lyns cup cakes n' candies — December 16, 2011 @ 9:18 am

why does everyone hate me?? lol it’s a conspiracy against me to gain all the weight i have lost!! (40 lbs since june) gggrrrr!! these look great, though!! i want one, or ten!!

perber18 — December 16, 2011 @ 9:18 am

you are killing me!!! these look amazingggg.. must make these this weekend for my holiday party!! i hope they turn out as beautiful as yours !

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — December 16, 2011 @ 9:21 am

I’ve never actually heard of Buckeyes… and clearly from the photos above, it’s for the best. These would never leave my grubby fingers.

sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more — December 16, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I’ve made these and the are addictive, so good!

TidyMom — December 16, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Growing up, we made these every year, and I still do most years……….it wasn’t until I started blogging that I heard of buckeyes. Your recipe is identical to what we made, how are buckeyes different?

do you know I’ve done NO holiday baking yet, I should get on these, because they’re so easy, not baking involved!! Thanks for the reminder of one of our favorites!!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Cheryl!! I’ve done NO holiday baking here either. It has been too warm and I’m a little tacky and store my goodies in the garage, and it hasn’t been cold enough yet! So I have a marathon baking, uh… week on my hands. Anyway, the buckeyes that my mom used to make were a little more soft and gooey (for the peanut butter layer) and they didn’t have crisped rice. And you dip them in a mix of chocolate and paraffin, dipped halfway so they resemble an actual buckeye from a tree! Either way, I’m sure they have the same ingredients, just different quantities.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — December 16, 2011 @ 9:30 am

And I was just going to post my recipe for buckeyes today. You have outshone me AGAIN. hahahaha. Oh well, I lost my recipe anyways, so I guess that’s not happening.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Oh my gosh, I absolutely did not! You should definitely still post it, because these really are a little different from buckeyes. :)

• Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Okay, I will if I can find the recipe I made. I think my mom threw it away. GAH.

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — December 16, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I love the idea of adding a crisp component inside! I’ve been debating whether or not to try my hand at buckeyes this year, and this might be the one I have to try.

Blog is the New Black — December 16, 2011 @ 9:33 am

You and your recipes… saving marriages everywhere!

• Amanda Dawn — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:52 am

*Like*

Kim in MD — December 16, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I LOVE buckeyes, and I make a huge batch of them every Christmas, too! I was going to dive in to this project this weekend, and I now I think I will make two batches. My recipe and yours with addition of the Rice Krispies and peanut butter drizzle! Thanks, Jessica…you rock! :-)

crystal — December 16, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I love buckeyes,I have made myself sick on them every year since I was a kid. I will have to try these Saturday and mix them in with the buckeyes. No buckeyes at Christmas = non Ohioan.

Danielle — December 16, 2011 @ 9:36 am

If these are anything like your peanut butter pretzel truffles, I need to make these immediately!! :)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:37 am

These are actually really similar! I thought of that as I was making them.

heather — December 16, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Yep. I’m totally craving these now!!!

Bailey — December 16, 2011 @ 9:37 am

yum…these look good! :)

Julie H. of Sprinach and Sprinkles — December 16, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Delicious! :) I know what being burned out on food is like- However, I only get burned out for a week or two. We used to make these and call them Devuk turds. Weird, I know. But, they went along so nicely with our angel turds! :) Hahahaha! True story!

Christina — December 16, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I had never heard of buckeyes until my Pilates teacher from Ohio brought them (chocolate in Pilates class!). I thought it was an Ohio thing. I’ve lived in Mississippi my whole life, and had never heard of them before last week.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — December 16, 2011 @ 9:52 am

My mother used to do the SAME thing with her buckeyes and shortbread, too!
    I’ll take 10 ’cause I haven’t had them since she passed away and that was almost 20 years ago. It’d be great to have some memories of mom.

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Wow, you definitely deserve a ton of buckeyes then Lynne!!

Sahra — December 16, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Wow! These look amazing! I wish my truffles came out looking as neat as this… or that I had the patience to do it, bu they look so good, I’ll have to try again! :-)

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Trust me, mine aren’t that neat, I just photograph the best looking ones!

Cookbook Queen — December 16, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Everything about these is a good idea!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 16, 2011 @ 10:00 am

I bet these would be extra yummy slightly frozen…with a glass of red, while sitting in front of the TV watching The Holiday! SCORE!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I might have eaten a few (dozen) frozen…

Karen — December 16, 2011 @ 10:03 am

I am going to have to try these! I make something very similar to a buckeye and have made them for like 20 years (GAH). Everyone always requests them but feel like it is time for a change :)

Angela — December 16, 2011 @ 10:04 am

These look so good! I don’t think I’ve ever had a buckeve, but I love PB & chocolate!

Maria — December 16, 2011 @ 10:05 am

These are too awesome for words!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — December 16, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Can I have 1 1/2? Jeans are getting a bit tight this holiday season!!!

• Jessica — December 16th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Hahaha, I love you.

Cheryl — December 16, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Ok, I am really regretting the day I found this blog (not!). I think I have already gained 10 pounds trying out recipes!

a spoonful of yumm — December 16, 2011 @ 10:08 am

i’ll have the whole bowl ! happy holidays :-)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles [Dessert Time]

2. Pingback: 57 Holiday Baking, Drinks & Gift Recipes — Savvy Eats

3. Pingback: Quite Successful | MINNE-MAKEOVER

4. Pingback: Greek-Inspired Lentil & Kale Soup « life in green

5. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles!

6. Pingback: Somebody Needs to Make These | Epic Organic

7. Pingback: Diva { Popcorn } | Healthy Diva Eats

8. Pingback: Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

9. Pingback: Bake { 3 } Move { 3 } | Healthy Diva Eats

10. Pingback: Biscoff Pretzel Dough Truffles | GOtheXtraMile

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Coconut Truffles « farmeggs

12. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles

13. Pingback: On our way { Chicago } | Healthy Diva Eats

14. Pingback: Buckeye Bars | The Domestic Rebel

15. Pingback: Crunchy Buckeyes « a glass of milk

16. Pingback: My Vacation in Snapshots : J'Adorn Designs

17. Pingback: Peanut Peanut Butter Oat Cookie | Jen's Favorite Cookies

18. Pingback: Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles « oh so decadent

19. Pingback: Last Minute Valentine’s Day Ideas « Popsicles & Pinatas

20. Pingback: Mélanger deux recettes de desserts pour en créer un nouveau ? Challenge accepté

21. Pingback: 27 Cookies to Bake for the Holiday Season | How Sweet It Is