Say hello to my new favorite appetizer.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Don’t be shy.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I found this gem a few weeks ago while sorting through Mother Lovett’s recipes… and aren’t these the best ones ever? I KNOW.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Yellowed newspaper and all. I don’t even get a newspaper. I don’t even read one. I live a sad, sorry life.

So, I’ve been hoarding this recipe for a few weeks waiting for the right day to hit it up, and apparently yesterday was it.

Because I was hungry.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Because it was raining? Because I was craving cloud-like puffed potatoes? Because I wanted something crunchy? Because I needed something to smother in Bone Suckin’ Sauce?

I’m going with all of the above.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I know it doesn’t really sound like something can be crispy and puffy at the same time… but guess what? It totally can. Crispy on the outside, soft and light on the inside. Yes yes and yes. And yes again. These are fabulously fantastic and make me want to only eat potatoes for the rest of my existence.

I’m cool with it.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs

makes about 70 puffs

2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

2 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons minced green onions

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3-4 cups seasoned panko bread crumbs

Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and add back to the pot, then mash with salt, pepper, butter and milk. Stir in parmesan and onions, then place the mixture in the fridge to cool for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Remove potatoes from fridge and roll into 1-inch balls. Dip in beaten egg, then cover in bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet 1-2 inches apart, and hit each with a quick spritz of olive oil or cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until outside is crispy.

Note: I know this sounds like a fabulous idea for leftover mashed potatoes, but I can’t say for sure that the potatoes will hold up – it depends on the actual recipe you use and how much butter is added.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?? SWEET POTATOES.

157 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs.”

Allyssa @ First Sweet Taste — December 22, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Wow. I’m speechless. I wish I had a plate of these in front of me right now!

Becki's Whole Life — December 22, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

These sound soooo good. Yeah Mother Lovett!! I wish I were having Christmas at my house – I would make these.

Stephanie — December 22, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

OMG. . .I just said “ohh this would be good with sweet potatoes” and HELLO scroll down to . . .great minds think alike!

Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine — December 22, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

These look absolutely heavenly! And to think, I have been trying to figure out what to do with my potatoes!

Cait's Plate — December 22, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Sweet potato was my very first thought!!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 22, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I picked up a newspaper….wow, that’s sad. Great recipe!!

Jen Marie — December 22, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I wonder if you couldn’t stir in some shredded cheddar before you refridgerated it?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

You definitely could!

• Karen Martindale — December 23rd, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

mmm, yes, cheese!

Laura OB — December 22, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Great Recipe and Photos. I can’t wait to try these.

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — December 22, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Salty crunchy puffy – love this idea. How “potato”y do they taste? Wife does not like much potato outside of chips and fries, meaning I could keep these all for me *evil grin*

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Eh… they still sort of taste potato-y but I think if you added more cheese and bacon? You’d be good.

Dianna — December 22, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

holy potatoes Batman!- these look awesome.
    Too bad we had decided on a Mexican Fiesta themed Christmas dinner this year.
    Looks like something for our New Years Eve dinner – no wait! I am getting married that day!!.. Anyone wanna come and make some of these for me for my after wedding dinner? It’s just gonna be me and my new husband, Las Vegas, … any takers? hmm?

Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

Ahhhh how exciting!!

christina @ ovenadventures — December 22, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

MMMM and mmm and mmmmm. I’m trying to figure out how to cram these into my life as soon as possible.

tina @ mylifeasamrs — December 22, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

oh. my. word. These look amazing! seriously.

Kati @ The Ivey League — December 22, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

ha ha ha ha. As I’m reading it I’m thinking…”ohhh, could I sub sweet potatoes?” These look delish!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — December 22, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

I’m always late to the party..but has anyone said hello to the appetizer yet?
    You said to.
    I’ll go…hello.

Emily @ Life on Food — December 22, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I don’t even like potatoes and this looks good to me. The sweet potato idea is a must. I cannot wait!

Veggie Girl — December 22, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

my man will go APE for these OMG I will have to make them

Tracy — December 22, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

These look awesome! I just pinned them to my New Year’s board. :-)

Arbine — December 22, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Seriously, why can’t I just reach through the screen and eat everything you make? These look craaaazy good. Have a lovely day!

Sarah — December 22, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

These look absolutely heavenly. I’m making up a News Years party just to have these (that doesn’t mean I have to invite other people does it. I’m not sharing.)

Marina — December 22, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

these look delicious!! kinda like falafel!!! :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 22, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I used to eat something like this when I was younger, they were crispy little balls of potatoes that were fluffy on the inside and brown and crispy on the outside. I’ve been looking for a recipe for years!!! So thank you, thank you.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats — December 22, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I’m making a yellowed newspaper recipe! It’s a cinnamon roll recipe from 1972 that my Great Aunt used to make every Christmas!

Zoe — December 22, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

I wonder if you could use the Oreda (sp) steam and mash potatos?? I owuld save a step :)

• Zoe — December 22nd, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

*would

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — December 22, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Perfect! These look amazingly perfect and are perfect timing since I am on appetizer duty for a family Christmas party tomorrow and until now had no idea what I was going to bring!

Moni'sMeals — December 22, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

AMAZING! and yes Sweet Potatoes for sure. this is so creative and looks like it would make any one happy. :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — December 22, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

Oh man, I wish I liked regular ol’ potatoes. Sweet potatoes, however, I can get behind!

CouponClippingCook — December 23, 2011 @ 12:42 am

What a fun and different appetizer. Potatoes, cheese, onion and parm….sounds so good!

honeywhatscooking — December 23, 2011 @ 3:24 am

oooh.. just 3 tbsp of butter and makes 70 puffs… so yummy!. i’m sold, these would make such a great appetizer for any party.
    love it
    you always come up with the best recipes – so unique and creative.

Cristy — December 23, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Gurl….and sweet potatoes? Get outta my head!!!!!! Merry Christmas!

Jules — December 23, 2011 @ 10:08 am

We use to make these years ago! But we deep fried them! These sound even better and baked. I wanna make them right now..but my motherboard for oven keeps dying..will have something in the oven and the whole oven just ups and shuts off and dies! Then about 2 hrs later it magically turns on…like youhoooo hello i am back on. And I am having christmas here! Out comes the crock pots and roasters! LOL! At least the freezer works so I can have a rum slushie!

Amanda — December 23, 2011 @ 10:15 am

I think I just hello to my new favorite appetizer as well. Heck, I might just make these the whole meal. Awesome!!

Lisa Swope — December 23, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Oh my, oh my, oh my!!! I’m definitely thinking bacon needs to be incorporated somehow…stirred into the potatoes…crumbled real small and added to the parmigiana cheese coating…or both!!!

Joy — December 23, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Are they too petite to serve as a side dish with steak and asparagus?

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Not at all – they’d be perfect!

caroleena — December 23, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

I. Can’t. Wait. Thank you!

Elizabeth — December 23, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

These look GREAT!

Kelly — December 23, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I think I might have to make a version of these. I was thinking something loaded baked potato style. A little bacon + cheese perhaps. And maybe some sort of sour cream on the side. These remind me a lot of croquettes.

Melissa | Cajun Sugar Pie — December 23, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Those look SO delicious!

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — December 23, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

oh wow. just wow. these look delicious. i might make up a batch just for myself and eat them all before christmas dinner… i mean, i need to expand my stomach somehow. how do you think these would taste using sweet potatoes?

Linzy — December 23, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

so i made tons of these and they’re delicious! (though the only thing i changed was i added some crushed garlic to the mashed mixture)

i’m curious what reheating methods for next day use do you suggest? how long should i bake them?and is it ok to bake them while they’re all lumped together, or should i re separate them?

Thanks!

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

hmm I’m honestly not sure as that wasn’t listed in the recipe. I think they will be okay reheated, maybe just reheat at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes or so? I do think they will be best when made + eaten the same day thought.

Ann — December 24, 2011 @ 12:47 am

This looks delicious! I LOVE vintage recipes and whenever I get the chance to cook from old cookbooks or recipes – I do! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Ange — December 25, 2011 @ 6:53 am

I cooked these today. I added bacon and garlic to the mash and they tasted delicious. But for some reason they lost their shape on the oven. Why would that happen

Dianne — December 26, 2011 @ 5:52 am

There is a hispanic dish called “stuffed potatoes” which I’ve been looking for. It looks like the same thing, only stuffed with seasoned ground beef.

Carrie — December 26, 2011 @ 11:20 am

So I fell in love with the look of these. And told my family I thought they’d make a great addition to our Christmas Eve appetizer/dinner party of 8. And they informed me my great-grandmother made a sweet potato version wrapped around a marshmallow and rolled in corn flakes. So I went that route. And it was a hit. It needs some tweaking, but if not for your post I would have never known my family used to dine on such a treat. Thanks!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 26, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Mmmm Parmesan + Potato. I can envision myself eating a plate of these with an array of dippies (ranch, marinara, buffalo sauce, blue cheese, etc.).

Curt — December 26, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

Oh man, green onions and parmesan cheese! This sounds great!

Mary Cottingham — December 28, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

Made ‘em. Looooved ‘em!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — December 29, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Oh god yes do this with sweet potatoes!

Mandy — December 29, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

You know what I’m thinking: BACON, GREEN ONION, CHEDDAR. Essentially – twice baked potato stuffing in the centre of these bad boys. HOLY MOTHER OF….WOW. Looks so good!!!

4U2 — December 29, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

When the holidays are over, I’m making a batch of these. that way I won’t have to share! :) My hubby will devour more than half of them anyway, so I don’t have to worry about the calories either – I’ll put those in his half!! This sounds and looks like the most wonderful recipe I’ve seen online this year. Hat off to you!! Best wishes for a great year ahead and lots more of your yummy recipes! Please?
    I also loved the idea of making them with sweet potatoes wrapped around a marshmallow and covered in corn flakes. Best of all – they would be gluten free that way and my daughter would be able to eat them too!! She’ll give me the hugs, but I’ll give you the credit!!

Hillary — January 14, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

I made these for our New Years Eve shindig and everyone asked for the recipe! I did swap out the onion for chopped roasted red pepper and made a sour cream and herb dip- yummy!