Soooo yeah. It’s Monday.

And if you’re anything like me, you’re like OMGI’mjustgoingtoeatcookiesfordinner every single freaking night until Christmas.

I know how it goes. I know you!

See?

Told ya that I know you.

But really, are you dying for dinner ideas right about now? Because I sure am. All I can think about is butter. Right… not much different from my usual train of thought, but people… we need to eat dinner!

Cookies come after. Duh.

And the other thing is that right now dinner must take approximately 27 seconds if anyone in a 10 mile radius of me wants to eat a normal, healthy meal that doesn’t consist of buttercream bowls and chocolate chip covered peanut butter spoons.

You know what I’m saying, right?

Enter stuffed chicken in the crockpot. Who knew it could be done? Not I. But I tried it anyway annnnnd since it’s December I filled the crockpot with wine. You want to do this. Really. We are in the circle of trust after all.

Crockpot Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach, Roasted Red Pepper, Parmesan + Goat Cheese

serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (do not use thin sliced chicken breasts)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 jar of roasted red peppers in water, with 1 of the peppers cut into 8-12 long slices

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 of one 6-ounce bag of fresh spinach

2 ounces parmesan cheese, sliced

2 ounces goat cheese

1/2 cup dry white wine

3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock

If desired, quickly tenderize chicken, making sure to not pound it too thin. Using a sharp knife, make a deep cut in the center of one side of each chicken breast, being very careful not to cut through to the top or the bottom – this will cause the cheese to go everywhere, and if it happens, you may want to consider not stuffing it with cheese (you can always add some on top). Season the chicken on both sides with the salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add spinach and garlic, cooking until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.

Add 1/2 ounce of parmesan and goat cheese inside each piece of chicken, pressing it as far back as it will go (you can do this while spinach is cooking). Add 1-2 slices (or more) of roasted red pepper, then add equal amounts of spinach into each piece of chicken.

Turn the heat on the skillet to medium-high and add olive oil. When it’s hot, gently place each chicken breast (top side down first is easiest) in the skillet and sear for 2-3 minutes per side. You can skip this part and just add the chicken to the crockpot without searing, but this will make it very flavorful and tender.

Add chicken to the crockpot with the stuffed side facing up. Add wine and chicken stock, then cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Now where are the cookies?

123 Responses to “Crockpot Stuffed Chicken Breasts.”

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — December 19, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

oh wow, I cannot wait to try this! It’s genius! I’m trying so hard to eat semi-healthy this week so that I’m not cookied/sugared out by the time Christmas Eve arrives!

Zesty Cook — December 19, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

I would have never thought to make something so *fancy* in the crockpot! Stuffed chicken has a certain fanciness to it, don’t you think? This is the perfect pre-Christmas Eve dinner!

Laura — December 19, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

Holy Moly!! The chicken looks so amazing!! The same technique as cordon bleu but a very different ingredient combo. I’ll be making this next time I have the urge to make cordon bleu!

JoJo — December 19, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I’m just having breakfast and you made me hungry for dinner ;)
    The chicken looks wonderful!

honeywhatscooking — December 19, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

omg, it’s lunch time in nyc… my stomach started growling so loud seeing this. you got me hungry for chicken and spinach. think i’m gonna go get food. :-)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 19, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

YOU ROCKKKKKK I love youre recipes to pieces. For reals…that would be amazing with feta as well!!!

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Thanks love!!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 19, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Looks yummy! I like to sear or brown my meat before putting it in the crock pot…I think it really locks in the flavor.

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Agreed!

Arbine — December 19, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Love this! Must try it very soon. Have a lovely day!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — December 19, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Serious yum. I would totally take a break from eating cookies for this!

JulieJ — December 19, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Looks delish, can’t wait to make this. Thanks for sharing!!

Courtney — December 19, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Yummm! Santa is bringing me a crockpot for Christmas (if he knows what’s good for him) and this recipe will christen it juuuuust fine ;) thanks for another wonderful recipe. I also have big plans to make your sangria for my apartment warming party. You’re totally invited to come btw :)

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Let me know how it is!

christina @ ovenadventures — December 19, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

I’m totally gonna do this on Christmas Eve. Good thing I have you otherwise it would totally be cookies for dinner. like always.

Brianne — December 19, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I love chicken in the crockpot; it ends up so tender. Any ideas what to use instead of spinach though? My husband abhors it.

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

Maybe you could use another green, like arugula? If not, just leave it out!

• Rose — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

You can use Asparagus, Chard, Kale, Collard or Turnip greens if You still want to keep it green.
      You can stuff chicken with about anything though. So if he likes mushrooms, and onions that would be good. Other ideas are ham, regular stuffing or sausage stuffing, pepperoni, roast beef. lol I believe I have used anything imaginable to stuff in chicken. I always use cheese for this. Although not always the same flavor.

Erin — December 19, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Wait, cookies are not an acceptable dinner alternative? Crap… guess I need to make these amazing stuffed chicken breasts!

Julia — December 19, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I don’t think cookies are an acceptable dinner… which is why I’ve been having fudge for dinner the last 3 nights. At least it’s low carb since it doesn’t have flour, TOTALLY healthy. Speaking of low carb, maybe I should have some substance one of these nights and make this chicken. Yes, yes I think I shall…

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

I love your mind.

Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber — December 19, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Oh wow! Who knew you could make this in the crockpot? I love stuffed chicken and I love my crockpot, so I can’t wait to put the two together. I am with you on the cookies. Ever year I swear I will only eat one from each batch I make…but you know there are always 3 or 4 not quite perfect ones that I have to eat for myself :)

natalie (the sweets life) — December 19, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

oh crap, you do know me. bc i HAVE been eating cookies for dinner (and, uh, breakfast). i did make some freezer meals over the weekend so i’d have NO excuses! but now i want to make this too…! :)

Katy — December 19, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

making this right now! woohoo!

tina phillips — December 19, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Cookies come after??? Who makes these damn rules? I love reading your blog….you and I are so much alike…not sure which of us to be scared for……lol. This recipe is on my to make list now…..right after I finish this plate of cookies :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — December 19, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

hahaha you crack me up!!!! “OMGI’mjustgoingtoeatcookiesfordinner” I don’t necessarily think that, but oftentimes it sneakily and unexpectedly becomes the spoiler of my appetite for dinner. :P And then I feel sick…lol.

Kelly — December 19, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

Wow, these look perfect. Goat Cheese, Spinach, Peppers, in a crock pot??? I love it.

Alexa @ SimpleEats — December 19, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Stuffed chicken is always better than regular chicken…you get in veggies that way…right? Seriously, though, this looks awesome.

ashley — December 20, 2011 @ 1:44 am

i don’t like goat cheese but this looks fantastic!

Elaine — December 20, 2011 @ 2:05 am

haha! i actually thought you WERE showing us how to stuff chicken breasts…then i read your comment below the pics and now i DO think you were just being dirty :)

i think i’m gonna make this tomorrow!

Elaine — December 20, 2011 @ 2:07 am

also, is there anything i can substitute for the wine?

• Crystal — December 27th, 2011 @ 11:44 am

You might consider using a vinigrette in place of the wine, certainly not equal amounts, but say 1/4 cup vinigrette, with 1/4 cup of water to make up for the 1/2 cup of liquid….this would definitely give it some “po” of flavor if you are needing to steer clear of the wine, but FYI, in the event that you did not already know this, but all of the alcohol cooks out when you use it in this fashion. Hope this helped.

• Crystal — December 27th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

*pop of flavor, lol

• Elaine — December 27th, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

thanks crystal! i was mainly asking because i don’t ever have wine on hand (not a wine drinker unfortunately!), but i have all the other ingredients. that’s a good tip with the vinegarette – i don’t have that on hand either lol. guess i need to go grocery shopping :)

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 20, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Oh yum this looks mmm, mmm, good! I love that you added peppers to the chicken, a wonderful combination of food! You just gotta love the crockpot, so convenient and so easy!

Karen — December 20, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Would this work if I did 8 chicken breasts? (I have a gigundous crockpot)
    Speaking of “Lush”, let me instead GUSH – your site is my favorite new obsession. Seriously. Three of my four other family members have started some P90X Factor thingy and are now CONCERNED about the foods I bring into this house. Fortunately there are two of us left who enjoy a good stick of butter now and then, so your site is keeping me grounded in reality.

Thanks!

Sonnet Gal — December 20, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Crock pots are my saving grace, but I get sooooo tired of cream of chicken soup and chicken breasts….boring! My family won’t know what to think when I pull these beauties out of the old 1990′s country blue crock pot! :-) Thanks (again) for another wonderful recipe! Merry Christmas!

Kim in MD — December 20, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Oh my gosh…this looks delicious, Jessica! Who knew you could cook stuffed chicken breasts in the slow-cooker?

Oh another note…”Oh and seriously? Stop laughing at those pictures up there. I’m just trying to be nice and show you how to stuff the chicken. I’m not being dirty.”- you made me laugh out loud! :-)

Andrea — December 20, 2011 @ 11:40 am

MMM looks yummy! I also would love nothing more than chocolate, cookies and more chocolate this time of year. :) Thanks for sharing another awesome Christmas option! Can’t wait to make it!

Theresa — December 20, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Since you add the wine and stock to the crockpot with the chicken, are they absorbed into the chicken or is it left over like a sauce?

Val — December 20, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Okay. You’ve won my eternal readership with the comments re: stuffing the chicken and dirtiness. Seriously hilarious.

Erin R. — December 20, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

I just HAPPEN to have a brand new block of parmesan and a roll of goat cheese in my fridge! I am on it like a cheap suit. And your dirty, chicken stuffing photos reminded me of Bridesmaids where Megan was showing the air marshal the flap of her sandwich. (snicker)

Liz — December 20, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

YUMM YUMM YUMM

Kelsy — December 20, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

These are absolutely beautiful! I adore my crockpot and almost everything comes out tasting great but it NEVER looks nice. You’re a crockpot pro!

Kelsy

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 20, 2011 @ 11:55 pm

Gorgeous chicken! I want to come to your house for dinner! (And dessert of course!)

Linda — December 21, 2011 @ 3:20 am

Yummmm! Wine and Crockpot in the same paragraph……you are a freaking genius. I am totally your newest bff! I must try this as soon as possible, annnd, I have cookies in my purse (which I brought home from work 8-)

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — December 21, 2011 @ 10:42 am

I never thought I’d say this, but after I eat this, I don’t think I’ll even need a cookie!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — December 21, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

I really want to make this because it’s a great idea and they sound amazing. But, how am I going to grow up and get over these pictures?

AliSue — December 22, 2011 @ 11:25 am

This is the plan for our Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner at my house. I am excited to see how well my boyfriend can make it since I will be at work. It looks amazing! I have never tired goat cheese so I am excited for that part, I am a cheese loving kind of girl. Thank you for the great recipe!

bailey — December 22, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Can you bake these in the oven if you don’t have a crockpot?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Sure! Maybe try them at 350 for 35-45 minutes, covered?

Nichole C — January 4, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Um, I am so so so making this! I am trying to cut down my carbs (uh, I was one of those peeps who ate said cookies most nights in the latter part of December, but I digress) and this looks awesome. Instead of rice I could just steam some veggies…but seriously this looks sinfully good and so easy

Christine — January 9, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

Ok, I finally got around to making this over the weekend. It turned out so delicious! The only downside was that the white meat was a bit dry–I think maybe going 7 hours was too much. I’ll just do 6 next time. I’ll definitely be making this again!

Chelsea — January 10, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and the flavors were really good but my chicken did turn out dry and i only cooked it for just under 6 hours. Im not sure what happened. Also even though i know we are trying to keep it healthy i did add bacon to the stuffing and it was sooo good. Next time i think i will try to marinade the chicken or cook it in a marinade that i usually use from allrecipes.com. o many things you can do with it! Thank you for sharing!

• Michele A. — March 29th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Mine turned out dry tonight, as well. I was SUPER bummed, too! The flavors were excellent with the “stuffing,” but the dry chicken kind of trumped all that for us. I may try searing & then roasting it in the oven. Or, I will try it with bone-in, skin-on chicken…?

Tessa — February 25, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I’m making this right now and I’ve already added 2 bottles of beer and a liter of chicken stock since starting it 5 hours ago. I guess my crock pot is too large for just four filets. I’m having friends over for dinner and I’m so scared this will fail. Seriously, mine look way crappier than this. All dry and shrunk and brown spinach. I don’t know if I’m actually serving it or just starting from scratch and frying the stuffed chicken… So disappointed right now. Tell me it’ll turn out okay?

Kathleen Shea — March 16, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

loved this.I got a crockpot for Christmas.
    I am having crockpot Tuesday with my son and future daughter-in-law.
    This was my seventh week and all that I have cooked this was quite delicious.
    K

Samantha — June 5, 2012 @ 10:10 am

I JUST put this in the crock pot, and I’ll be taking it out in 7 hours… I’m worried after reading the comments that the chicken will be dry, but it’s too late now so we’ll just have to see. I added balsamic vinegar instead of wine because I thought “roasted red peppers and balsamic? YES!” I’ll let you know how it turned out. I also fastened the chicken with tooth pics while seering because I had a little mishap when they first hit the pan (yes, everything fell out).

ericamcc — June 8, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

I LOVE anything stuffed in a chicken breast…and make different varieties..depending on what I have on hand that needs used but I’ve never done it in the crockpot! Definitely going to try that! Anything to help keep my house cooler in this Texas summer heat earns an A+ from me!!!!

Heather — August 27, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

I have made these 3 times. I guess it depends on your crockpot, but 6-8 is way too long for mine. My first attempt I did only 6 hours, and they were VERY dry. Next attempt 4 hours, still quite dry. Third attempt (yes, I really like the flavor combo, so I kept at it) 2.5 hours = perfect. I use my crockpot a lot, and already seared meat with no bones just doesn’t take that long to cook.

Trixie — September 21, 2012 @ 12:46 pm