The best thing ever happened on Friday night.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

But first!

Some of you have asked how I dip my truffles since they appear all nice and smooth and stuff.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I use forks. No biggie. Pretty sure this happened by accident about 5 years ago when I ran out of spoons.

I hate doing dishes.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

And yes, that would be me – the person who had a dish of brownies shatter in her oven – placing a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Sometimes I do stupid + desperate things.

You can see I’m not messy either. AT ALL.

Oh, and seriously? Most of my balls look like this. Not pretty. A nice, little hawt mess.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Anyhooooo… Friday night.

We were at a little holiday gathering. After a few adult beverages we were ready to eat (i.e. like ravenous) and started to load up our plates with breads and cheeses and roasted red peppers and beef and this amazing penne. You may recall that there are really only two foods that my husband seriously dislikes. The first being coconut – he just can’t take the texture. He loves the taste and can slam a handle of Malibu like he’s 22 years old, but refuses to put the actual shreds in his mouth because they make his skin crawl. And the second is ricotta cheese – which I chalk up to him having some really crummy lasagna at some point in his life where the cheese resembled grit. But what do I know? Just a guess.

My cousin Lacy and I sat on the floor with our plates on a mini table and ate like hogs while Mr. How Sweet stood against the wall, attempting to devour his own plate as another party goer commented, “uh, who are you? You have red hair and don’t look like anyone here so I’m trying to figure out why you’re at this party.”

Me too, lady. Me too.

A few minutes later Lacy turns to me and says, “do you think this is ricotta in the penne?” To which I respond, “I’m pretty sure it is, it’s soooo good.” And she goes with a smirk, “well your husband is standing over there scarfing it.”

And scarfing it HE WAS. His second plate of it too. I was dyyyyying inside with giddiness. I love when he thinks he hates something and then eats like five platefuls.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I don’t know where I disappeared to but when I returned, Lacy had filled him in on what he just ate and he couldn’t even take it. She was just as excited to break it to him too. Full on tantrum ensued. He refused to believe it. He insisted it was parmesan. Insisted it was feta. As the nice wife I am, I went on a mission to figure out how this penne was made and sure enough… it was penne with garlic and olive oil, topped with GIANT ICE CREAM SCOOPS FULL of ricotta. Yeah. That’s a lot of ricotta my friends. A lot of ricotta that he ate.

Since ricotta and I had easily one-upped him, I was aching to go 2 for 2. I made these truffles while he was at work (they are INSANELY easy, trust me), then strategically placed the pan in the fridge where he simply couldn’t miss them. Sure enough… he ate one.

Now the only problem is that I might be getting a divorce.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles

makes about 24 teaspoon-sized truffles

3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1 1/2-2 cups milk chocolate chips, melted

In a large bowl, combined coconut and sugar and mix to combine. Add in milk and coconut oil, mix constantly until a gooey coconut filling results. I used my hands to mix too! Roll between the palm of your hands into teaspoon-sized (or a little larger) balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes, then remove from freeze and roll again between your palms to smooth any coconut edges. Freeze for 10-15 minutes more. While freezing, melt chocolate chips in a double boiled or microwave. Remove coconut balls from freezer and immediately dip.

Refrigerate until ready to serve – at least 15 minutes.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Moral of the store: make these tonight. They are so gooey and chewy I could die!

142 Responses to “Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles.”

Laura @ Laura's Sweet Spot! — December 20, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Aw, I love coconut! These look FANTASTIC : )

Kathryn — December 20, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I always use the fork method to dip my stuff too. In theory it stops chocolate getting all over my hands. In practice, it doesn’t at all. These truffles sound epic!

Miz — December 20, 2011 @ 7:58 am

I need to wrangle me an invitation to your house.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:54 am

You are welcome any time. :)

Erica — December 20, 2011 @ 7:58 am

hahhahhaha- I do this to Josh with sour cream and cream cheese. LOVE this story. Oh- men!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — December 20, 2011 @ 8:01 am

I made something similar to these (without the chocolate) to give to my neighbours. My husband wasn’t impressed as he wanted to eat them all himself.

Such is the Christmas spirit in my house when it comes to food…. ;-)

jessica lynn — December 20, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Now I want that penne recipe, too! This looks so good! I can’t make them,though, because I would eat every single one of them. Maybe I can make them and take them to a party and then make everyone eat them first!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 20, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Holy $%^&*! This looks hella good! I am speechless, I want to make these!! Ok, I need to make these!! Why can’t I have one right now?

Mel G — December 20, 2011 @ 8:06 am

You’re so naughty! I love putting one over on the husband too lol, it’s so much fun :)

Celestine — December 20, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Coconut and chocolate………..YUM!

JulieD — December 20, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Love coconut truffles!! Yours looks amazing, I’m going to have to try these!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 20, 2011 @ 8:20 am

They look awesome. Full of coconut, oil, and sweetened cond milk, sugar…chocolate. How could Mr Sweet resist these babies?

I too HATE ricotta cheese. The texture, the smell, the flavor….I just despise it. I am with him on that one. But it sounds like you got him over to the ricotta dark side.

And what I wouldn’t give to be a guest and party goer at your house…my goodness, the food and fun times, how amazing!

Becki's Whole Life — December 20, 2011 @ 8:20 am

You are so funny! My husband doesn’t like coconut either and I refuse to believe it – not possible! These sound wonderful – I love mounds and almond joy so much. I might have to try the same experiment.

That pasta dish sounds delish, too…you will have to recreate it!

Kelly — December 20, 2011 @ 8:21 am

I would so do that to my husband too!

Marisa — December 20, 2011 @ 8:28 am

mmm…like a mounds bar but in ball form. Love it :)
    FYI my man hate coconut too…fooling them is such fun tho isn’t it?!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 20, 2011 @ 8:29 am

You stinkin’ crack me up. I’m pretty sure I’m one of the only ones who ever comments not on the recipes but on the stories you tell that go along with it – mainly because I’ve been threatened by the Husband “if I feed him something he doesn’ tlike ONE MORE TIME…” you get the picture.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

And I love it.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — December 20, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Yummy. I am a truffle girl too (just posted another one today!) My mom’s favorite candy is Trinidads from Fannie Mae (ever heard?)…with a coconut coating? I’m attempting those today….
    If it fails, I’m totally making her these!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I’ve never heard of those! I’m so intrigued.

Bev Weidner — December 20, 2011 @ 8:34 am

UGH. You are such a winner. WHY CAN’T I GET MY HUBS TO EAT CHEESE?!

I’m going to make these truffles, but with cheddar instead.

Ew.

I won’t do that.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Who doesn’t like cheese?!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — December 20, 2011 @ 8:37 am

These are so simple but decadent. Can’t wait to try them!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 20, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Hahaha I love this story!! I feel like you feeding Mr How Sweet things he doesn’t like is like the parent that hides vegetables in their children’s meals to disguise them.
    Mrs. How Sweet: 2, Mr. How Sweet: 0 ;)

Rosie @ Sweetapolita — December 20, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Loving these, Jessica! Ha, the husband eating things he thinks he doesn’t like thing is so the same situation here–the only difference is cheese is the one and only thing my husband & I do agree on when it comes to food. Your posts always make me happy, for many reasons. Happy Holidays to you yours, sweet girl. xo

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:50 am

You too my love!

Blog is the New Black — December 20, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Ha, I do that to Lloyd all the time with onions! And mushrooms…. hilarious!

Idk why I never thought to make truffles with coconut?! Hello…. deliciousness!

Katy — December 20, 2011 @ 8:59 am

These look fantastic! One question…where would one find coconut oil if one was looking to purchase?

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:50 am

I can find it at all my local grocery stores – it may be with the oils or in the organic/health food section. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods definitely have it, and if you don’t have those stores and can’t find it at your own, I would try a health store like GNC!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 20, 2011 @ 9:04 am

HA! I try and trick my husband into doing the same thing just to prove him wrong! These look delicious–and I just the same double boiler method. Who needs another pan lying around?

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Exactly.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 20, 2011 @ 9:05 am

bahahaha i can just picture that going down…i wish i had been there!

and these truffles? yeah, the second baby’s born this is what i’m eating :)

Heidi — December 20, 2011 @ 9:06 am

LOVE all of the truffles you are showing. I’m making them for my neighbor’s christmas gifts in little take-out containers. The only problem is you keep making MORE that I now want to make so I keep going out and getting more ingredients. I think I’m going to gain 10 lbs from all of the ones I’m now making. I’m making the oreo ones with Trader Joe’s peppermint joe joes – have you made truffles with those yet? So good.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I have not, but only because my husband and brothers are huge fans of chocolate + mint combo. I love it, but when I make a big batch I just make the regular so they don’t whine.

Julie @Savvy Eats — December 20, 2011 @ 9:11 am

But the key question is: did he notice the coconut in the truffles??

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Oh yes.

Katie — December 20, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Hey Jessica – these look super yummy. If I didn’t want to use Coconut Oil, what would you suggest? Could I just skip it? Use more condensed milk? Love your site!!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I think some extra milk would work! Possibly even some softened butter?

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 20, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Don’t you love it when men end up eating things they declare they hate without even knowing it? Heh heh

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — December 20, 2011 @ 9:22 am

love love love love when that happens. Love. But that kind of sucks that she stole the big reveal, I mean, that’s really something that only a heavily smirking wife should be able to do. Or maybe I just enjoy the small things too much…

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Hahaha I actually enjoyed watching someone else tell him. It was great.

Sahra — December 20, 2011 @ 9:24 am

They still look really neat to me! haha. These look amazing! I think I’ll definitely try making them for my family this weekend, they all looove coconut!

TidyMom — December 20, 2011 @ 9:30 am

HAHA!!…….that is SOOO my husband too!

PS- a fork is my secret weapon to dipping truffles too!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — December 20, 2011 @ 9:34 am

those look sooooo good! I love coconut and chocolate!

Kelly — December 20, 2011 @ 9:41 am

YUM! It looks like the inside of a Mounds bar!

And the ricotta story…priceless! I love it when my husband eats something he thinks he doesn’t like. It is so fun to mess with their heads a little!

Rodzilla — December 20, 2011 @ 9:43 am

love that you used coconut oil as well, buckeyes just knocked down on the list.

Lisa — December 20, 2011 @ 9:55 am

so pretty! I like them when they aren’t perfect. like homemade cookies- I never use a scoop, I dont like uniform size and shape. I like them unique! plus then people know I DID make them and didnt pass them off as homemade yet they are storebought ;)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — December 20, 2011 @ 9:57 am

YUM, YUM, YUM! Have to try these!!
    So funny!!!
    But what did he say after he ate the truffle????????
    Ooh, that REALLY must have sent him over the edge!

Erin — December 20, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Haha that is hilarious!
    Too bad I am the more picky eater in my marriage and therefore more likely to be in the position of your husband. ;)

Gen — December 20, 2011 @ 10:00 am

I looove coconut and chocolate together!!! These look delicous!

Jen — December 20, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Oh my god. You are hilarious. Great start to the morning!

Anne — December 20, 2011 @ 10:08 am

These are my new gift-able treats. I’m super pumped to whip these up tomorrow :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 20, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Forks instead of spoons! I will try that next time. And definitely making these truffles too.

Addie — December 20, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Thank you for the story and recipe. Merry Christmas.

Tickled Red — December 20, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I will be making these tonight as a surprise gift for my step mom who is a cocoNUT! Love em’ :D

Karen — December 20, 2011 @ 10:31 am

I was just thinking that I should make coconut balls but didn’t have a recipe! Can’t wait to try it… although I was also just saying if I have to shape one more candy, cookie, edible thing into the shape of a ball I might go insane. These might just be worth it : )

Angela @ The Dancer Bakes — December 20, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Your husband reminds me a little of my brother’s wife – tell her that there’s something she doesn’t like in something she clearly likes and she won’t like it anymore! Neither she nor my brother would touch these truffles, but my fiancé and I would devour the whole batch! I may have to make him some :)

Kim in MD — December 20, 2011 @ 10:52 am

What a great post! I’m lucky to have a husband that will eat just about anything, but I love it when I sneak something in a recipe that my children think they don’t like! It’s such a great feeling! ;-)

Ashley — December 20, 2011 @ 10:54 am

HAhahaaa…I can’t imagine hating coconut and biting into one of those!!! Poor husband. ;) Ugh, we’re too boring over here!!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — December 20, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Bahahaha- You might be getting a divorce? We can’t let husbands have the easy road all the time ;) I would have done it too…
    Holy wow! Coconut + Chocolate = HEAVEN!

Candice — December 20, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Tricking husbands into eating something they think they hate is one of the largest joys in marriage. (is that awful and sad?) my husband formerly hated tomatoes, ground meat that isn’t beef and a few other things… Things he has now eaten by accident so many times that he now freely eats them on purpose. (win!) just cannot get him to eat cinnamon. He can detect a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in a huge recipe. He’s like the cinnamon whisperer. Lol

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 20, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Proving our husbands wrong is one of the greatest feelings of satisfaction in the world. I totally would’ve done the same. ;)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Kokos-Schnee-Kugeln alias veganes Bounty | Aber bitte mit Sojamilch!

2. Pingback: Thimble Times Giveaway - Lindsay's List

3. Pingback: What Happens In Vegas. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Truffles – Four Season Gourmet

5. Pingback: Busy Being Jennifer | Pass the Truffles Please!

6. Pingback: My Holiday Baking List – all things bright and beautiful