This probably comes as no surprise…

Blood Orange Margaritas I howsweeteats.com

But I just can’t help myself.

And you shouldn’t be able to either.

Blood Orange Margaritas I howsweeteats.com

Blood Orange Margaritas

makes a single serving

1 1/2 ounces tequila (silver or gold, based on your preference)

1 ounce grand mariner

1 1/2 ounces simple syrup

1 ounce fresh lime juice

1 1/2 ounces blood orange juice (about 1-2 oranges)

salt for the rim, lime/orange wedges for garnish

Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in margarita salt. I actually combined the salt with some blood orange sugar, but that’s up to you. Fill the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, grand marnier, simple syrup, blood orange and lime juice with ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in lemon and orange slices.

Blood Orange Margaritas I howsweeteats.com

Seriously!

90 Responses to “Blood Orange Margaritas.”

Kathryn — January 14, 2012 @ 7:03 am

That first picture has got into my brain and I don’t think I’ll be able to think about anything other than blood orange margaritas today.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 14, 2012 @ 7:18 am

They look perfect. I could go to town on these…if I had a babysitter who wanted to get up with my kiddo at 6am while I slept in after a few of these because ohmygosh they would go down so easily :)

Carrie@Bakeaholic Mama — January 14, 2012 @ 7:31 am

Oh my! I have to make this tonight! The pictures make me drool……..

Becki's Whole Life — January 14, 2012 @ 7:37 am

These pictures are so pretty. Haven’t had a margarita since summer. I will look for blood oranges today because this sounds like a perfect and relatively easy drink to whip up. Love this!

Lindsay — January 14, 2012 @ 7:38 am

When I’m no longer with child I will have to try one of these

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — January 14, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Can you get blood orange juice at the store?? I love margaritas, so I think I would love this new twist! :)

• Renee — January 14th, 2012 @ 9:12 am

I know a Wegmans near me sells blood orange juice that they have squeezed and bottled themselves during the fall (for about, oh, a month). Other than that, I have never seen it – wish it was a staple product!! :)

• Jessica — January 14th, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Not sure, I freshly squeezed it!

movita — January 14, 2012 @ 7:54 am

The orange juice makes these acceptable breakfast fare, right? Right?

• Jessica — January 14th, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Of course.

Quiche-ing Queen — January 14, 2012 @ 8:31 am

This would have made my Friday night but hello Saturday! Margaritas make me giddy!

Katrina — January 14, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Dear goodness, yes!

Mrs. Zoom — January 14, 2012 @ 8:47 am

I have to have one of these, now! I’ll be buying blood oranges today. Gorgeous photos!

Malia — January 14, 2012 @ 9:25 am

If you haven’t tried it, look for a liqueur called X-Rated Fusion. Its a vodka with blood orange, mango and passion fruit. It is so yummy and works so well in so many things! I make vodka slushies with it.

• Katie — January 14th, 2012 @ 9:33 am

X-Rated Fusion sounds delicious! I will be looking for it, this weekend ;-)

• Jessica — January 14th, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Yes, I have it!!

Katie — January 14, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Yummy Jessica! Just pinned to my Pinterest…XoXo

Amanda — January 14, 2012 @ 9:44 am

So pretty! I love the vibrant blood orange color!

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff — January 14, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Margarita recipes are always a terrible tease for me – I want to like them but tequila makes me hallucinate. Seriously. It’s very sad.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — January 14, 2012 @ 10:05 am

CHEEEEERS TO THE FREAKIN WEEKEND

…. in Margaritaville.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 14, 2012 @ 10:11 am

What a perfect Saturday afternoon cocktail. I gotta find blood oranges, NOW!!!

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — January 14, 2012 @ 10:11 am

that’s my #1 favorite cocktail right there! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 14, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Yes please!

Lora @cakeduchess — January 14, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Oh my! Love blood oranges and need to make this tonight. Gorgeous! cheers:)

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño — January 14, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Genius! And the color is just outstanding. It’s only 9:30am but I am feeling a little thirsty!!!! Very nice job!

Michelle@AHealthyMrs — January 14, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Those look amazing — the color is beautiful! I bet they’re delicious!

Krystina (Organically Me) — January 14, 2012 @ 11:03 am

I love your inclination to turn anything into a margarita.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 14, 2012 @ 11:06 am

sigh.

can we hang out somewhere cool this summer and drink these? pretty please?

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 14, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Love blood orange! I am just eating breakfast but I already want these… :p

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 14, 2012 @ 11:22 am

I have a long and busy day ahead of me today, I’m gunna need one of these tonight! ; )

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 14, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Why aren’t blood oranges in season in the summer?! I’m picturing this as the perfect beach cocktail!

Melissa — January 14, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Triple wow! Can I just say that looks and sounds absolutely fantastic right about now?! The color alone is enticing. Yum… thanks for sharing!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — January 14, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

Because there is orange juice– this is a drink for the morning, is it not?! ;)
    Looks yummy! Beautiful photography, as always!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — January 14, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

That looks and sounds amazing!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 14, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

There are those blood oranges again! Such a gorgeoussss fruit!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — January 14, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

these look so delicious! I must say they seem waaaay healthier than our traditional ‘margarita mix’…

Jess — January 14, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Alright so I LOVEEE your website. I’m convinced we’re twins: all we eat is cheese and chocolate. I’m from Michigan, and we have a new alcohol. It is whipped cream like ACTUAL whipped cream with alcohol in it. It’s infused with alcohol. It’s called cream. Now, I’ve been “drinking” it straight i.e. spraying whipped cream all over my mouth but I was hoping you could give a recipe like a cool dessert I could spray this stuff on to eat while pre-gaming. Here’s a link:

Cheers!

Jess — January 14, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

I promise I didn’t say pre gaming. I meant eating lovely dinners on casual occasions. whoops.

Lynne Knowlton — January 14, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

Just when I thought that Margarita life could not get any better, it did . Like a bazmillion fold better. Now I am going to get fatter, but happily drunk :)
    Lynne xx

Lynne Knowlton — January 14, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

OOooooh and I may have the worlds best recipe for homemade bailey’s…simple to do. SIMPLE…and I am convinced that it is miles more fattening than this cocktail …but seriously, friends line up around here to get some :)
    Lynne xx

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — January 14, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Haha loving this one! And I actually just got the new Chobani blood orange yogurt and I can’t wait to try it!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — January 14, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

These are gooooorgeous!!!

Can I ask you where you got those glasses? I’ve been trying to track down something similar with no luck.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — January 14, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

Love the color – so vibrant!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 14, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

These look so delicious!!!

Hillary — January 14, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I can’t wait to find an excuse to make these! That excuse might be no work on Monday!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — January 14, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Your photography is always so bright and gorgeous!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl — January 14, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

I absolutely LOVE Margaritas. Pomegranate margaritas are pretty good. So are skinny margaritas. This one looks like it tops the list just as well. Gotta a blood orange I could have? :)

April — January 14, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Just gorgeous! I can’t wait to try these. Margaritas are my favorite! :)

Ashley's Cooking Adventures — January 14, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

Oh these lovely refreshing looking cocktails have me DROOLING and make me very sad. Sad because I won’t be able to drink them for another 5 months when I’m not preggo. Do you think they’d be good as a mocktail?

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — January 14, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

Those are just crazy cute! Now if only I had some tequila…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 15, 2012 @ 12:29 am

GORGEOUS! I want one right now!

Zee @ The Recipe Code — January 15, 2012 @ 7:40 am

These look amazing and the colors are beautiful..

Cait's Plate — January 15, 2012 @ 8:56 am

This just looks too good to be true. I want it. And it’s 8am. Problem? Nah…

Anna — January 15, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Easy to make and easy to gulp…What more do I need? I love the vibrant color! Thanks for sharing…

Liz — January 15, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

These look fabulous….I am having a brunch and will be making these AND blood orange mimosas for the non-tequila drinkers!

1. Pingback: Blood Orange Fizz

2. Pingback: Blood Orange Margaritas « Pale Yellow

3. Pingback: Beer Risotto with Mushroom Garlic Chicken | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Healthy Thai Beef Tacos | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Slow Cooker Beer Carnitas Tacos | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Cheers to the Weekend! «

7. Pingback: Law School Thursday | In Matters of Style

8. Pingback: Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Signature Wedding Cocktails: Blood Orange Margarita

10. Pingback: 20 Oscar Night Party Food Recipes and a Word from Jennifer Lawrence

11. Pingback: Lovin’ Right Now: Blood Orange Drink Recipes | ShortSweetandLovely

12. Pingback: Green Beans with Toasted Almonds & Blood Orange Vinaigrette

13. Pingback: Margarita Time! Creative And Unique Margaritas- B. Lovely Events

14. Pingback: 10 Delicious Margarita Recipes | The Suite Life Designs

15. Pingback: Pour me another…. or 5 |

16. Pingback: Eat Drink Better | Healthy recipes, good food: sustainable eats for a healthy lifestyle!

17. Pingback: 15 Cocktail Recipes to Make from Scratch | hometips.co.za